Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247823 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183643 Nov 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Kirsten Powers story of Atheism. Part II
As Keller propounded the case for Christ, she began to question her atheism. "He expertly exposed the intellectual weaknesses of a purely secular worldview. I came to realize that even if Christianity wasn't the real thing, neither was atheism."
Soon Powers found herself reading the Bible. At the same time, her boyfriend was praying that God would reveal Himself to Powers. After eight months of listening to Keller, she concluded that the weight of evidence was on the side of Christianity.
Still, she didn't feel any particular connection to God. "I continued to think that people who talked of hearing from God or experiencing God were either delusional or lying. In my most generous moments, I allowed that they were just imagining things that made them feel good."
Encounter with Jesus
Then something very unusual happened to Powers on a trip to Taiwan in 2006.
"I woke up in what felt like a strange cross between a dream and reality. Jesus came to me and said,'Here I am.'
"It felt so real. I didn't know what to make of it," she recalls. She called her boyfriend the next day, but before she could tell him what happened, he said he had been praying the night before and felt they were supposed to break up.
While she was upset by the break up, she was more "traumatized" by the mystical, mysterious visitation by Jesus. "I tried to write off the experience as misfiring synapses, but I couldn't shake it," she notes.
Powers returned to New York a few days later, but felt lost and confused as she tried to process her growing consciousness of God's presence. "I suddenly felt God everywhere and it was terrifying. More important, it was unwelcome. It felt like an invasion. I started to fear I was going crazy."
She sought out the advice of a friend, author and cultural commentator Eric Metaxas, whom she knew to be a Christian. "You need to be in a Bible study," he told her. He recommended a study taught by Pastor Tim Keller's wife.
When she walked into the Bible study she felt desperate, unsure how she would ever tell family or friends about her emerging faith. She thought no one would understand because she didn't really comprehend the changes unfolding in her heart. "I had a knot in my stomach. In my mind, only weirdoes and zealots went to Bible studies."
Powers doesn't recall what Kathy Keller taught on that day, but when she left the Bible study she knew everything had changed. "I'll never forget standing outside that apartment on the Upper East Side and saying to myself,'It's true. It's completely true.' The world looked entirely different, like a veil had been lifted off it. I had not an iota of doubt. I was filled with indescribable joy."
In the next few months, a tug-of-war between faith and doubt returned at intervals. She did her best "to wrestle away from God," but found it was futile to run from Him.
"Everywhere I turned, there He was. Slowly there was less fear and more joy. The Hound of Heaven had pursued me and caught me-whether I liked it or not."
http://crossmap.christianpost.com/news/fox-ne...
Bullshit and more bullshit heaped on top of more bullshit, then added to an ever larger pile of bullshit, joining up with an even larger pile of bullshit. Seems as though all you have here is BULLSHIT.
Thinking

UK

#183644 Nov 12, 2013
More bollocks from you.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And it is not infinite, round or square.
Nothing is, because it's impossible.
We have a doctor and a physicist who disagree with that.
But they are nuts.
Can you imagine how much flour would be required for an infinite donut?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183645 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't show water to a fish.
Very disappointing Buck. Your little aphorism here is exceedingly lame, even by your standards.
"Oh yeah, you couldn't show water to a fish." See what I mean? Nothing. No impact.
Honestly, if your humor has slipped to a "Gilligan's Island" level, maybe you should take a sabbatical.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183646 Nov 12, 2013
Fred's Story:

HOW FRED BECAME AN ATHEIST:

Raised Catholic and came to realize the God his priests were talking about had the ability to peer into his most private thoughts and convict him of "thought Crimes." He then found out after reading his bible that this God was unbelievably immoral, condoning slavery, Genocide, infanticide, and involved in blood sacrifice, and promoting the rape of young girls. his final straw was this God murdering innocent little babies, that was it for Fred. He immediately converted to a life of free thought, critical thinking, and extreme skepticism. The light of truth and facts can be a wonderful place, the place of Atheism. Lucky Fred!!!!!!!!!
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#183647 Nov 12, 2013
Mikko wrote:
The three christarded trolls have been up voted them self up to the limit so that no one can down vote them and down voting everyone else
Aw, all butthurt over a temporary shift in numbers on a single thread? Tough shyt. You guys do it all across the board on threads that have nothing to do with atheism. You've ruined Topix as a form of entertainment and turned it into nothing more than a battle of numbers, of who has the most gang members to strike back defending their own ideology. Being in the majority on Topix is nothing to brag about since your crew comes here as a coordinated group with one agenda in mind. The majority is not always right and certainly can't be trusted to have the best interests of the minority in mind.

BORING!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183648 Nov 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You need to let go to get a better grip. Jesus will help you if you let him
If that doesn't work he can always try Gasper The Friendly Ghost, both can be found deep in the imagination, or in Gaspers case, the cartoon network.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183649 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think earth is a utopia, you never been to Ludlow Alabama in the summer.
And you also never been to the Danville Correctional Facility for the Criminally Insane.
Try that.
I was in a Turkish prison, middle of the summer, talk about hot. Luckily I was able to over power 5 guards, leapt over the fence, stole a 747 and flew home to the states, whew..Thats was an adventure!!!!
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183650 Nov 12, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Very disappointing Buck. Your little aphorism here is exceedingly lame, even by your standards.
"Oh yeah, you couldn't show water to a fish." See what I mean? Nothing. No impact.
Honestly, if your humor has slipped to a "Gilligan's Island" level, maybe you should take a sabbatical.
hey mealymouth, are you sure youre not from parts south of Aron?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183651 Nov 12, 2013
Akron
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183652 Nov 12, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? I can show prayer to be ineffective after only five minutes...
I went to one of Eagle's all night prayer meetings, there were 147 amputees who had been there praying for 50 years, nothing yet!!!!50 parent with down syndrome children also there, been there for 5 years, nothing yet for them either, however there was a women who had lost her house keys and prayed, sure enough, her prayers WERE answered, she found them under the seat of the car........AMAZING.PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183653 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Fred's Story:
HOW FRED BECAME AN ATHEIST:
Raised Catholic and came to realize the God his priests were talking about had the ability to peer into his most private thoughts and convict him of "thought Crimes." He then found out after reading his bible that this God was unbelievably immoral, condoning slavery, Genocide, infanticide, and involved in blood sacrifice, and promoting the rape of young girls. his final straw was this God murdering innocent little babies, that was it for Fred. He immediately converted to a life of free thought, critical thinking, and extreme skepticism. The light of truth and facts can be a wonderful place, the place of Atheism. Lucky Fred!!!!!!!!!
No baboon, Make yourself a fool to become wise, it is written.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#183654 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If that doesn't work he can always try Gasper The Friendly Ghost, both can be found deep in the imagination, or in Gaspers case, the cartoon network.
..Alas, you err my struthiform friend. Fictional cartoons cant compare to a wonderful Lord and Saviour who holds the keys to hell and the grave.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183655 Nov 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No baboon, Make yourself a fool to become wise, it is written.
"So let it be written, so let it be done." Yul Brenner, the King and I.

"My God is Crom, he laughs at your God" Conan The Barbarian.

It is also "written" that the God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183656 Nov 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>..Alas, you err my struthiform friend. Fictional cartoons cant compare to a wonderful Lord and Saviour who holds the keys to hell and the grave.
Sorry Your demon God is just another fictional character, you have no proof that he/she/it is NOT. Gullibility is a horrid thing, you have it in spades. LOL
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183657 Nov 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> hey mealymouth, are you sure youre not from parts south of Aron?
I love it when someone tries to hurl an insult and spells something incorrectly. Makes 'em look all the more stupid.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#183658 Nov 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>..Alas, you err my struthiform friend. Fictional cartoons cant compare to a wonderful Lord and Saviour who holds the keys to hell and the grave.
Sounds creepy
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183659 Nov 12, 2013
Mikko wrote:
Abandoning this thread due to christarded trolls Buck Crick,Dave Nelson, Eagle 12.
I hate to see anyone leave, even if we don't see eye to eye.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183660 Nov 12, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you print this juvenile crap at all? Do you really think we're going to read this, suddenly start trembling, fall to our knees, and accept Jesus as our savior? For most of us, religion is a been there, done that situation that failed to take hold. Once one is aware of how silly the religious trappings really are, there's no going back.
I just want you to know people do change and have the right to change their view. No need to get all upset because a fellow atheist converted.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#183661 Nov 12, 2013
http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/athe...

This is a good example of how most new "atheism" is a socio-political movement and not a "non-belief".

Read the comments. "Two" atheists hit the nail on the head.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183662 Nov 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshit and more bullshit heaped on top of more bullshit, then added to an ever larger pile of bullshit, joining up with an even larger pile of bullshit. Seems as though all you have here is BULLSHIT.
You must have some fisherman in you because you're upset at the one that got away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proof of God for the Atheist 36 min thetruth 136
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 42 min thetruth 2,371
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 49 min thetruth 47,926
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr thetruth 100
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Critical Eye 20,904
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 3 hr NoahLikesPi 41
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr NoahLikesPi 12,988
More from around the web