Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183503 Nov 11, 2013
This really has my blood boiling. Atheist mega-churches? Who are these idiots, and more importantly, why is this catching on? They're playing the same game as organized religion, right down to the collection plate. I shouldn't really be surprised, given enough time humans eventually screw everything up. I haven't been this pissed in years...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#183504 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
This really has my blood boiling. Atheist mega-churches? Who are these idiots, and more importantly, why is this catching on? They're playing the same game as organized religion, right down to the collection plate. I shouldn't really be surprised, given enough time humans eventually screw everything up. I haven't been this pissed in years...
You misunderstand.

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/atheist-...
"Officially named The Sunday Assembly, the church was the brainchild of Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones, two comedians who suspected there might be an appetite for atheist gatherings that borrowed a few aspects of religious worship".

It is partly a joke (Atheist Church - get it?) and partly an opportunity for the non-religious to meet like-minded people. It is as innocent and irreligious as a British Humanist Association meeting.(Some non-believers aren't attracted by current humanist meetings).
LCNLin

United States

#183505 Nov 11, 2013
Atheist "church" seems a positive idea for atheists to meet and enjoy each others fellowship !

An "atheist church" in North London is proving a big hit with non-believers. Does it feel a bit like a new religion?

Not many sermons include the message that we are all going to die and there is no afterlife.

But the Sunday Assembly is no ordinary church service.

Launched last month, as a gathering for non-believers, it is, in the words of master of ceremonies Sanderson Jones, "part foot-stomping show, part atheist church, all celebration of life".

A congregation of more than 300 crowded into the shell of a deconsecrated church to join the celebration on Sunday morning.

Instead of hymns, the non-faithful get to their feet to sing along to Stevie Wonder and Queen songs.

There is a reading from Alice in Wonderland and a power-point presentation from a particle physicist, Dr Harry Cliff, who explains the origins of antimatter theory.

It feels like a stand-up comedy show. Jones and co-founder Pippa Evans trade banter and whip the crowd up like the veterans of the stand-up circuit that they are.

But there are more serious moments.

The theme of the morning is "wonder" - a reaction, explains Jones, to criticism that atheists lack a sense of it.

So we bow our heads for two minutes of contemplation about the miracle of life and, in his closing sermon, Jones speaks about how the death of his mother influenced his own spiritual journey and determination to get the most out of every second, aware that life is all too brief and nothing comes after it.

The audience - overwhelmingly young, white and middle class - appear excited to be part of something new and speak of the void they felt on a Sunday morning when they decided to abandon their Christian faith. Few actively identify themselves as atheists.

"It's a nice excuse to get together and have a bit of a community spirit but without the religion aspect," says Jess Bonham, a photographer.

"It's not a church, it's a congregation of unreligious people."

Another attendee, Gintare Karalyte, says: "I think people need that sense of connectedness because everyone is so singular right now, and to be part of something, and to feel like you are part of something. That's what people are craving in the world."

The number of people declaring themselves to be of "no religion" in England and Wales has increased by more than six million since 2001 to 14.1 million, according to the latest census. That makes England and Wales two of the most unreligious nations in the Western world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#183506 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
....The audience - overwhelmingly young, white and middle class - appear excited to be part of something new and speak of the void they felt on a Sunday morning when they decided to abandon their Christian faith. Few actively identify themselves as atheists....
I don't 'actively identify as atheist'.'Atheist' tends to be what the religous call non-believers.

And the white middle-class bit might be partly due to the nature of the organiser's comedy and the location of the first meeting(s).

I think the Atheist Assemblies need to be seen in the context of such groups. In the UK there are Atheist Associations, Rationalist ones, Skeptics-in-the-Pub, Freethinkers, Student groups (like the AHS), Secularists,(e.g the quite irreligious National Secular Soctiety), Humanist groups, etc,- horses for courses.

All good fun and quite godless. As I've said before, I think Jonny Eve sums up the approach of many Brits nicely...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...
(if a bit coursely :-)
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183507 Nov 11, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You misunderstand.
http://news.discovery.com/human/life/atheist-...
"Officially named The Sunday Assembly, the church was the brainchild of Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones, two comedians who suspected there might be an appetite for atheist gatherings that borrowed a few aspects of religious worship".
It is partly a joke (Atheist Church - get it?) and partly an opportunity for the non-religious to meet like-minded people. It is as innocent and irreligious as a British Humanist Association meeting.(Some non-believers aren't attracted by current humanist meetings).
Wish I could agree with you, but I can't. A door has been thrown open that should have remained nailed shut. We categorize Christian followers as "sheeple". What clever name will we apply to the atheist wannabees as they attend "classes" and sing "awesome songs" as the article states. Oh my, what fun! Losers...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#183508 Nov 11, 2013
coarsely - (I know :-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183509 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
...As Richard Dawkins discovered when he left atheism for agnostic beliefs ...
What?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183510 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
Alright, the religion of Atheism. Make sure you give a hearty offering so the church leader can drive a nice expensive Bentley, have a mansion, plush vacations six months of the year, and a private jet.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183511 Nov 11, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>Where does it matter the geographical place one is born, or one lives. are we not all of the same human species, living on the only planet to sustain the diversity of life as we know it. Is it not time mankind get over our piety differences and understand we have more in common than different. My friend, I would like to travel around the world on my bike, to experience the beauty and diversity of the life on our planet and other cultures , without fear of being hated, and despised for what I look like or where I'm from, how I think.I could not even travel the USA freely,and I am native American.I see no difference from the teacher,in north America, Europe, Africa, Asia,India,south America the middle east. I see no difference in the way we express our love for family and community.Yet we still live in fear of each other.Why ?
You don't come across as someone to fear. You have different views than I do but there’s no reason for hate. Some countries you can travel freely but others you could be a target.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#183512 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
... We categorize Christian followers as "sheeple". What clever name will we apply to the atheist wannabees as they attend "classes" and sing "awesome songs" as the article states. Oh my, what fun! Losers...
Well, I can only speak for myself but I don't think most non-believers do call Christians (or other religionists) sheeples with the intent to be very offensive. I suppose it might be said to 'make a point' or 'take a dig' at them. And I don't think anyone who isn't bad-natured indulges much in 'clever names' or wants to be guilty of any uncalled for criticism, still less derision.

I see no harm Atheist Assemblies and I don't think you indicate any harm they cause. Any group that meets may have some lout call them a 'clever name'.

Perhaps that's another difference between the UK and USA?- Not everything has to be a fight between two sides, with winners and losers. Issues can just be keenly debated without despising those who are mistaken.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183513 Nov 11, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
"Let me repost something I just left on another thread on exactly that...... "...... self-centered seems to define atheism on a thread.
I suspect that you're looking from the perspective of somebody that has been taught that submission and the diminution of the self are virtues at somebody that has learned the opposite. To me, autonomy and self-actualization are virtues.

Christians tend to consider failure to submit an expression of inappropriate rebellion and foolish pride.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#183514 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright, the religion of Atheism. Make sure you give a hearty offering so the church leader can drive a nice expensive Bentley, have a mansion, plush vacations six months of the year, and a private jet.
So that's what you would like to see? I think that says more about you than those who attend atheist meetings. I just see some nice folks having a good time. Better than the TV (or Topix :-). And at least they're fairly democratic and not hierarchical or authoritarian. I think that's a concern that many people express about atheist and humanist groups - they fear a sort of 'godless religion'- but people should keep an open mind and not pre-judge every new development.'Change' and 'new' can be good and freethinkers might be expected to appreciate that.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#183515 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is how it starts. My father once told me that 95% of everything is bullshit. I feel his estimate is a little low.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#183516 Nov 11, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish I could agree with you, but I can't. A door has been thrown open that should have remained nailed shut. We categorize Christian followers as "sheeple". What clever name will we apply to the atheist wannabees as they attend "classes" and sing "awesome songs" as the article states. Oh my, what fun! Losers...
The Non-Church of Free Thinkers

Dawkin's Demons

Hitchen's Hellraisers

Murray's Marauders

Hypocrites-R-Us

heh heh heh heh heh

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183517 Nov 11, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
More Than 9 in 10 Americans Continue to Believe in God
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- "More than 9 in 10 Americans still say "yes" when asked the basic question "Do you believe in God?"; this is down only slightly from the 1940s, when Gallup first asked this question."
So?

You did not read my post-- at all.

I agreed that the US is a religious country-- like Iran, Iraq and other theistic regimes.

It's the non-religious countries that are doing so much better than the US is.

In all the areas of civilization that **count**>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183518 Nov 11, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree my friend,very much so. Education is the key, which is why some like the Taliban, orthodox jews, orthodox christians, ban any kind of relevant education. Shared knowledge and a relevant education is key to any successful society, indeed it is the only thing that will save humanity from itself.
Indeed... education is the key to many things--including an improved civilization.

The proof is the many countries in Europe who are mostly atheistic--but that's just a side-effect for having a population that is more educated than elsewhere.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183519 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
These polls only sample .02% of the US population. Accuracy is in question.
You sound.... desperate.

Interesting.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183520 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Throw me a curve ball and put in some truth.
You cannot handle the truth, to quote a famous movie character.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183521 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I also believe there has been an exodus from faith in Europe. I don’t have a lot of nice things to say about European Churches or Europe in general. It would be the last place in earth I would go and visit. If I did I would make the focal point of my trip visiting our war graves.
They can have their cold dark dingy castles and their godlessness. I must admit France was nice enough to give us lady liberty.
They are leaving religion because they are far more educated on average, than the US is.

And there is a direct correlation between high educational achievement, and atheism.

Which explains why **you** are both a godbot, and under educated too ...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183522 Nov 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a extended tour in some our worst prisons. You’ll see the opposite of the sermon on the Mount.
They are full of you people-- far more than in the general population too.

Interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 52 min IB DaMann 75,461
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 5 hr Subduction Zone 206
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 5 hr Nemesis 4,070
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 6 hr Subduction Zone 6,108
Majority of Scots now have no religion (May '16) 6 hr John 164
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr Eagle 12 - 32,055
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 11 hr Eagle 12 - 581
More from around the web