Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,791)

Showing posts 175,801 - 175,820 of224,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess when it comes to the Roman Colosseum games. You’re were always a fan of the Lions.
Indeed.

As the amazing wit and humorous Benny Hill once quipped?

"I went to the Roman Colosseum games-- and it was sad. There was this starving lion? And he didn't have a christian to eat. It was horrible."

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep a specialty printer connected to my computer.
The paper on this printer is on a roll.
After printing I just tear it off and then take it to the bathroom.
And Bob a good healthy sh*t never felt so good knowing I can wipe my *ss with your comments.
[smiling][tipping hat]
I keep a bible in my bathroom-- for use as emergency toilet paper.

One of the few **useful** things you can do with it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep a specialty printer connected to my computer.
The paper on this printer is on a roll.
After printing I just tear it off and then take it to the bathroom.
And Bob a good healthy sh*t never felt so good knowing I can wipe my *ss with your comments.
[smiling][tipping hat]
Your inner Jesus is showing.

Because Jesus was so good at belittling people, right?

Right.

No **wonder** the Romans got rid of him.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you could tell me how does a bird fly from one part of the world to the other with pin point accuracy?
Magnetic fields. Science has demonstrated that many birds have a magnetic sense.

They also rely on visual cues as they fly.

They also rely on memory-- from having flown the path previously.

This last? Is a generational thing-- new bird will **always** follow older birds who have done it before.

Birds raised in isolation? Do not migrate to the same places as their non-isolated fellows. Some do not migrate at all, in fact.

There is nothing remotely godly about any of it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
I just checked the reviews of it and saw that one person labelled it conservative political propaganda. I certainly do not think that atheism should lead to rightwing views on politics, economics, etc. With no god, then it is up to us to be kind and help the hurt and helpless, the innocent and poor, the oppressed and exploited. I call that liberal in the US sense of progressive - though not in the European or British sense of each to himself and the devil take the hindmost.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I shall print off your failure to prove that there's no God.
Proof of no god?

Easy: YOU.

No god who gave a **crap** about his reputation would suffer **YOU** to represent him.

For you are a horrible person-- you continue to belittle people in the name of your ugly god.

Since your god **allows** that? Either your god is a bully-- or else your god just isn't there.

Which is it?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
As the amazing wit and humorous Benny Hill once quipped?
"I went to the Roman Colosseum games-- and it was sad. There was this starving lion? And he didn't have a christian to eat. It was horrible."
actually, I sort of equate the vicious mob type behavior of masses of rightwing socalled Christians with the presumed vicious behavior of Roman crowds, or bullfight or dogfight crowds. No good god would have made such people, or let people abuse animals. Are you sure you want to get into the mud with some of the disgusting types on here? I respect your intelligence when you use it, but it would be throwing pearls before swine to waste it on those types - yet getting down into the mud with them is also not very pleasant. apologies to pigs, they get abused in the Bible and in real life, and in metaphors, and I am sorry about abusing them even repeating a little saying.
throwing pearls before rightwing fundie nuts, would be a more literal way of saying it. oops - apologies to nuts.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

No it doesn't.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> actually, I sort of equate the vicious mob type behavior of masses of rightwing socalled Christians with the presumed vicious behavior of Roman crowds, or bullfight or dogfight crowds. No good god would have made such people, or let people abuse animals. Are you sure you want to get into the mud with some of the disgusting types on here? I respect your intelligence when you use it, but it would be throwing pearls before swine to waste it on those types - yet getting down into the mud with them is also not very pleasant. apologies to pigs, they get abused in the Bible and in real life, and in metaphors, and I am sorry about abusing them even repeating a little saying.
throwing pearls before rightwing fundie nuts, would be a more literal way of saying it. oops - apologies to nuts.
He mentioned the Romans first-- and I just flashed on that Benny Hill joke.. so ... I could not resist.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>I just checked the reviews of it and saw that one person labelled it conservative political propaganda. I certainly do not think that atheism should lead to rightwing views on politics, economics, etc. With no god, then it is up to us to be kind and help the hurt and helpless, the innocent and poor, the oppressed and exploited. I call that liberal in the US sense of progressive - though not in the European or British sense of each to himself and the devil take the hindmost.
Apologies for butting in, but DavidQuinn appears to be a robot-- he always posts the exact same SPAM and has been doing so for some time.

I was mildly interested in the book the **first** time I saw the post-- but I then saw the **exact** same post repeated on all the atheist threads? Word-for-word?

I lost interest in the book. He's become a kind of "anti-promotion" for the book...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I am not willing to generalize quite that much about religion. I think some versions of religion are evil, and others not so much so. I do not think there are enough free thinking type people to outvote religious people, so I am friendly toward any religious person whose view of religion promotes love and stewardship toward living things and the planet. I think they need to be more outspoken in opposition to the evil ones who hijack religion and use it mostly for evil purposes. Not that I think that religion does not carry the seeds of some of the evil doctrines within it (most religions that I know of anyway), but many religions do also carry seeds of some good behavior and beliefs about being kind and not hateful. I think we need people who water the seeds of kindness, even if they have some silly beliefs, rather than those of cruelty and evil
(maybe even if some of their theological views are less silly). It is ethics which matters most. I respect an ethic of informed kindness - knowing what to do to be kind to living beings (except those which are out to kill or injure us or the innocents of the world, or the less guilty than the killers, at least)/
All good points but does it take religion to be kind to others? Kindness to others is the result of....kindness, not religion. Isn't it true that any good done by religious groups could be done equally as well by any secular group?

The poisoning that happens with any religion is the belief in something without evidence and for no good reason. It looks relatively harmless on the surface, but people who fervently believe in anything without evidence are potentially dangerous, dangerous to themselves and to others. There are NO benefits to having a belief in God other than it makes a person "feel good." I don't consider that a good reason. I think unsupported beliefs give false hope, contribute to wish thinking and end up being nothing more than a crutch for those afraid of the dark and death, and who do not have the inner strength to face adversity.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Apologies for butting in, but DavidQuinn appears to be a robot-- he always posts the exact same SPAM and has been doing so for some time.
I was mildly interested in the book the **first** time I saw the post-- but I then saw the **exact** same post repeated on all the atheist threads? Word-for-word?
I lost interest in the book. He's become a kind of "anti-promotion" for the book...
I am always pleased to see your replies to me, and also your intelligent discussions with other folks.(not so pleased when you waste time with the idiots). it helps to get tips about how not to waste time following up on someone's suggestion. I do appreciate being given key words and not a link however, because I often do not trust the link if I do not know or trust the linker. So look up Rachel Maddow Hagee Bush apocalyptic (or however it is spelled), and maybe you will find a link to her show - or else try her at msnbc, which I understand has a nifty new webpage. she has a fabulous research staff - her intros to her stories are full of historical background and context.
also look for the news regarding the Virginia Attorney General race, which has not been declared yet because of uncounted ballots and a chance of a recount. The GOP candidate is a minor league version of Cuccinelli, I think. I also think Chris Christie is a lightweight, and is only being promoted because the press with any brains are a bit worried about the nutcases from the south and Santorum, and because he is a big personality that they can rev up viewers with. I think Barbara Buono was right about him and about the Democratic party bosses who made deals with him. The younger voters voted for her, I noticed.
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

So many posts
filled with
self centered atheist
mumbo jumbo LOL

What a way to waste a life?

Since: Nov 13

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

I do not see any FAITH in people who think man is in control over every thing that happened from the start of time till now. I only see stupidity in thinking we can TRY & I DO MEAN TRY to explain EVERYTHING that goes on in this universe with what little we know about anything. I can't see how anyone can believe that it just happened one day without any help. IF YOU THINK THERE IS NO GOD but believe there is a HIGHER power than man then you are not a ATHEIST because you believe in something besides man. WE are PRAYING 4 YOU..........
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

firedog508 wrote:
I do not see any FAITH in people who think man is in control over every thing that happened from the start of time till now. I only see stupidity in thinking we can TRY & I DO MEAN TRY to explain EVERYTHING that goes on in this universe with what little we know about anything. I can't see how anyone can believe that it just happened one day without any help. IF YOU THINK THERE IS NO GOD but believe there is a HIGHER power than man then you are not a ATHEIST because you believe in something besides man. WE are PRAYING 4 YOU..........
No one EVER said that man was in control of everything that happened from the start, what an incredibly stupid thing to say. Our planet formed 4.5 billion years ago, modern man has been on the planet for about 200,000 years.

So you think its stupid to acquire knowledge? Holyfuckinshit, really???? So you don't agree that learning about things is a good idea?

Get educated before you come on here and make a fool of yourself, what are you 14 years old? Probably, you come on like an ignorant teenager. Our Earth, solar system, universe, did NOT just happen ONE DAY. It was a gradual process over billions of years, and there is NO evidence that any "higher power" was involved.

Perhaps you should pay more attention in science class and quit playing with yourself. Or possible they don't teach science down there in the "bible belt" home of the ridiculous Creation Museum, yeah that must be it, no way anyone one could possibly be that stupid unless they were never taught real science.

You go ahead and pray for me, I'll sacrifice a goat for you!!!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Atheism also requires no intelligence, so that one can appreciate someone like Sarte and his emotional intellectuality that emulates intelligence. History is rife with contrarians posing as deep thinkers, and always with an audience.

Since that is the same post you post repeatedly, it can be assumed you have a financial interest in the sale of that book. Of course this is a great place to peddle such a thing. Atheists need reassurance of their faith, what better than invoking a pseudo-intellectual political activist of the left that hates everything about the status quo. Except for the fame to feed his ego.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

LCNLin wrote:
So many posts
filled with
self centered atheist
mumbo jumbo LOL
What a way to waste a life?
What else can a lying creationist troll say when his cult has been torn to shreds in a public forum?

Every comment you make now is a study in psychological denialism

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism also requires no intelligence, so that one can appreciate someone like Sarte and his emotional intellectuality that emulates intelligence. History is rife with contrarians posing as deep thinkers, and always with an audience.
Since that is the same post you post repeatedly, it can be assumed you have a financial interest in the sale of that book. Of course this is a great place to peddle such a thing. Atheists need reassurance of their faith, what better than invoking a pseudo-intellectual political activist of the left that hates everything about the status quo. Except for the fame to feed his ego.
Atheism requires enough intelligence to question the religious bullsh*t that your cult peddles as absolute truth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The garbage that comes out of your creationist troll machine is an embarrassment to your Jesus myth and all it's supposedly stands for...

Most normal Christians that pretend to believe in god but don't really, ey are embarrassed by creationism because it makes their cult look like lunatics.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism requires enough intelligence to question the religious bullsh*t that your cult peddles as absolute truth.
Not really. Not nowadays, anyhow. It is a pill someone fed you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 175,801 - 175,820 of224,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 18 min Patrick 21,376
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 48 min Patrick 6
Our world came from nothing? 53 min Buck Crick 175
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 2 hr Buck Crick 356
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 6 hr Patrick 1,285
Introducing The Universal Religion 7 hr Thinking 729
•••
•••