Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183064 Nov 7, 2013
Atheist on Park District board refused to stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States.

“The American Legion is withdrawing all financial support for the Morton Grove Park District until a park board member stands for the Pledge of Allegiance or is no longer on the board.

Post 134 Commander Joseph Lampert attended the Oct. 24 park board meeting to confront Commissioner Dan Ashta on his choice not to stand for the Pledge, and to announce the Legion’s decision.

“On behalf of our post, it is with some regret that we fully respect the right of individuals to not stand during the pledge of allegiance,” Lampert said.“All veterans have been willing to lose their lives for that right, and many have. With that being said, while we support that right, we do not accept it.

“Regrettably, we will be withholding funds from the park district until such time that everyone rises for the pledge,” Lampert continued.“We feel that it’s disrespectful to all veterans that have been willing to sacrifice their lives for this country and it is a great dishonor to all servicemen and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice and died for this country.”

Post 134 pays $300 to sponsor the Easter Extravaganza,$300 to sponsor the Halloween Family Festival,$1,000 to sponsor the Party in the Park events, and contributes $1,000 toward 4th of July fireworks, according to Lampert.

Ashta responded during his commissioner report, and thanked Lampert for speaking his mind. However, Ashta maintained his position, just as he did on Aug. 15 when he responded to similar concerns from former Village Clerk Eileen Coursey Winkler.”

http://mortongrove.suntimes.com/news/pledge-M...

----------

Eagle 12

No law says one must stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance. This politician didn’t have to recite the Pledge or even cover his heart with his hand. At least he was all civil about it and didn’t hold up his middle finger when the pledge was being recited.

Saying the pledge or at least standing up when it’s being recited doesn’t mean one is giving up their rights to what they believe. But not standing up sends a message. That message is this,“I’m a butthead.”
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183065 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Might as well make it a triple post. I'm going to be hammered anyway.
Some interesting news on fossils. Froghopper insects were found preserved in a Jurassic rock in China. These insects were mating at the time they became preserved. They were frozen in time for 165 million years.
Not much has changed since then. The insects still look the same and their mating ritual hasn’t changed either. Now 165 million years is a hell of a long time. Where’s the evolution? I’m not saying these creatures didn’t evolve but where’s the evolutionary track?
One would think a insect would have changed radically over 165 million years. But it has remained virtually unchanged.
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/...
Scientifically illiterate is a terrible way to go through life!!!! As is fat and LAZY!!!!

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#183066 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Might as well make it a triple post. I'm going to be hammered anyway.
Some interesting news on fossils. Froghopper insects were found preserved in a Jurassic rock in China. These insects were mating at the time they became preserved. They were frozen in time for 165 million years.
Not much has changed since then. The insects still look the same and their mating ritual hasn’t changed either. Now 165 million years is a hell of a long time. Where’s the evolution? I’m not saying these creatures didn’t evolve but where’s the evolutionary track?
One would think a insect would have changed radically over 165 million years. But it has remained virtually unchanged.
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/...
You tell us where the evolutionary track is?

Is an evolutionary track needed in every case?

Before answering that you may be interested to know that evolution is a response to the environment and/or need, It seems that those insects had all they needed to survive in their environment

Maybe you could also look at the horseshoe crab, unevolved after half a billion years – why?

And the pygmy three-toed sloth, evolved dramatically in just 10,000 years – why?

And the Langkawi bent-toed gecko, evolving on a generation by generation basis and a generation is only around a years or so, so a very good specimen to study evolution by.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#183068 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheist on Park District board refused to stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States.
“The American Legion is withdrawing all financial support for the Morton Grove Park District until a park board member stands for the Pledge of Allegiance or is no longer on the board.
Post 134 Commander Joseph Lampert attended the Oct. 24 park board meeting to confront Commissioner Dan Ashta on his choice not to stand for the Pledge, and to announce the Legion’s decision.
“On behalf of our post, it is with some regret that we fully respect the right of individuals to not stand during the pledge of allegiance,” Lampert said.“All veterans have been willing to lose their lives for that right, and many have. With that being said, while we support that right, we do not accept it.
“Regrettably, we will be withholding funds from the park district until such time that everyone rises for the pledge,” Lampert continued.“We feel that it’s disrespectful to all veterans that have been willing to sacrifice their lives for this country and it is a great dishonor to all servicemen and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice and died for this country.”
Post 134 pays $300 to sponsor the Easter Extravaganza,$300 to sponsor the Halloween Family Festival,$1,000 to sponsor the Party in the Park events, and contributes $1,000 toward 4th of July fireworks, according to Lampert.
Ashta responded during his commissioner report, and thanked Lampert for speaking his mind. However, Ashta maintained his position, just as he did on Aug. 15 when he responded to similar concerns from former Village Clerk Eileen Coursey Winkler.”
http://mortongrove.suntimes.com/news/pledge-M...
----------
Eagle 12
No law says one must stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance. This politician didn’t have to recite the Pledge or even cover his heart with his hand. At least he was all civil about it and didn’t hold up his middle finger when the pledge was being recited.
Saying the pledge or at least standing up when it’s being recited doesn’t mean one is giving up their rights to what they believe. But not standing up sends a message. That message is this,“I’m a butthead.”
Your opinion of what that message means is your opinion, however not standing up for the pledge of allegiance possibly means that the strong principals of the person shows that he/she is not willing to worship any god by force of patriotism or pay homage to a piece of cloth.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#183069 Nov 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion of what that message means is your opinion, however not standing up for the pledge of allegiance possibly means that the strong principals of the person shows that he/she is not willing to worship any god by force of patriotism or pay homage to a piece of cloth.
Strong principles or strong sense of contrariness?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183070 Nov 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
As an American I also respect Mr. Ashta individual right. But on the other hand his constituents don’t have to support him for re-election if he decides to run again. That happens to be their right as voters.

The pledge to the US flag is not a form of worship but a display of American Patriotism. As you have stated this is my opinion and apparently that of the local American Legion. Mr. Ashta showed disrespect to his nations ensign, and the people who are patriotic to their country.

Thankfully this community that Mr. Ashta represents was civil in their response. My bet is this man will not be an elected government official ever again. He’s sending a message to the public about what Atheism stands for by his rude display of disrespect. That’s not hurting me but all the patriotic Atheist that do respect their nation and flag.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183071 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Scientifically illiterate is a terrible way to go through life!!!! As is fat and LAZY!!!!
As is stubborn, angry, and living every day as a intolerant, disrespectful, rude, All American *sshole.

Pay your bills Doctor and you won’t be so angry all the time.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183072 Nov 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell us where the evolutionary track is?
Is an evolutionary track needed in every case?
Before answering that you may be interested to know that evolution is a response to the environment and/or need, It seems that those insects had all they needed to survive in their environment
Maybe you could also look at the horseshoe crab, unevolved after half a billion years – why?
And the pygmy three-toed sloth, evolved dramatically in just 10,000 years – why?
And the Langkawi bent-toed gecko, evolving on a generation by generation basis and a generation is only around a years or so, so a very good specimen to study evolution by.
If evolution is factual there should be in the fossil record a clear indication of a track. Ants for example in the fossil record look the same as they did 300 million years ago. If evolution is so prominent. Orangutans would be driving taxi’s in New York.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#183073 Nov 7, 2013
Chaumette wrote:
Oh, have a wonderful weekend all.=)
Au 'voir, cherie.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#183074 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Strong principles or strong sense of contrariness?
Your stupid sh*t doesn't matter until you've proven the god you run scared from.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#183075 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If evolution is factual there should be in the fossil record a clear indication of a track. Ants for example in the fossil record look the same as they did 300 million years ago. If evolution is so prominent. Orangutans would be driving taxi’s in New York.
Evolution denial is a mental illness. No further discussion required with creationist liars on the subjecg.

Alamosa, CO

#183076 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183077 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As is stubborn, angry, and living every day as a intolerant, disrespectful, rude, All American *sshole.
Pay your bills Doctor and you won’t be so angry all the time.
Oh, I thought you loved me, how disappointing.

Yes you are right I have absolutely NO respect for scientific ignorance. And YES I am totally intolerant of the willfully ignorant. You EARN respect. I called you a lazy ass because it is quite obvious you are to lazy to educate yourself on the facts dealing with evolution. Possibly you have a learning disability which keeps you from understanding science, or you are simply unable to comprehend what you read. Personally I think you're too lazy to make the effort and would rather sit on your ass and parrot creationist bullshit.

The information is there, it is reliable, it is what mainstream science accepts as the best possible answer at this moment in time. Do you really think 99% of all scientist world-wide could be so wrong? Rejecting this FACTUAL information is a sure sign of a serious mental disorder, religion has poisoned your mind to the point were you rejecting factual information, it is pitiful. I have every right to treat you rudely, and to have absolutely no respect for you as a person.

I have NO credit cards, both cars are paid for, as is the boat, I have a small mortgage, and actually have a surplus left over at the end of the month, so your wrong once more about paying my bills. Don't you ever tire of being fuckinwrong?

Somewhere in your town is a building with a sign that says LIBRARY, walk in the front door and ask were the science books are located. Start with the basics on evolution, either that orgoandfuckyersister, your choice!!!!!

Alamosa, CO

#183078 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.6000years.org/frame .php?page=stuff_in_coal
Where is the scientific explanation for those very anomalous, and very real objects in that link I posted prior to this?

You sure put a lot of faith in the preachings of your pastors of modern science, loony.

You will cover your years and shout now instead of addressing such thing in a rational manner.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#183079 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the scientific explanation for those very anomalous, and very real objects in that link I posted prior to this?
You sure put a lot of faith in the preachings of your pastors of modern science, loony.
You will cover your years and shout now instead of addressing such thing in a rational manner.
In order to claim the hammer as a reliable out-of-place artifact, one would need either

1. Convincing documentation that the hammer was once naturally embedded in an ancient rock formation.(The very creationists who claim the "anomaly" is real have openly admitted that they have absolutely no documentation to support their claim).

or

2. Independent scientific evidence indicating a problematic age for the hammer.(The creationists who own this hammer refuse to allow the hammer to be independently analyzed, go figure.)

Got anything?

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#183080 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The London Hammer:
An Alleged Out-of-Place Artifact

"The stone is real, and it looks impressive to someone unfamiliar with geological processes. How could a modern artifact be stuck in Ordovician rock? The answer is that the concretion itself is not Ordovician. Minerals in solution can harden around an intrusive object dropped in a crack or simply left on the ground if the source rock (in this case, reportedly Ordovician) is chemically soluble (Cole, 1985)."

"Such limy concretions can sometimes form in decades or less, and have been found around modern objects such as World War II artifacts (McKusick and Shinn, 1980). It's even possible that the nodule might contain a mixture of ancient and modern sediments or organic remains, as might occur in muddy muddles and pits in a mining operation."

http://paleo.cc/paluxy/hammer.htm

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#183081 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Alleged Iron Pot in Coal

" As noted by Mark Isaac: "The cup appears to be cast iron, and cast iron technology began in the eighteenth century. Its design is much like pots used to hold molten metals and may have been used by a tinsmith, tinker, or person casting bullets... The cup was likely dropped by a worker either inside a coal mine or in a mine's surface workings. Mineralization is common in the coal and surrounding debris of coal mines because rainwater reacts with the newly exposed minerals and produces highly mineralized solutions. Coal, sediments, and rocks are commonly cemented together in just a few years. It could easily appear that a pot cemented in such a concretion could appear superficially as if it were encased in the original coal. Or small pieces of coal, including powder, could have been recompressed around the cup by weight (Isaac, 2005).

Thus, a person who broke open such a nodule might mistakenly conclude that it was part of the host formation, rather than a secondary product of the mining environment. This phenomena has been documented with objects as modern as soda bottles and World War II artifacts (Al-Aga, 1995; McKusick and Shinn, 1980), and thus cannot be used as anti-evolutionary evidence."
http://paleo.cc/paluxy/ironpot.htm

Alamosa, CO

#183082 Nov 7, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to claim the hammer as a reliable out-of-place artifact, one would need either
1. Convincing documentation that the hammer was once naturally embedded in an ancient rock formation.(The very creationists who claim the "anomaly" is real have openly admitted that they have absolutely no documentation to support their claim).
or
2. Independent scientific evidence indicating a problematic age for the hammer.(The creationists who own this hammer refuse to allow the hammer to be independently analyzed, go figure.)
Got anything?
You made two assertions. No documentation, and refusal to let it be examined. Cite your sources for that information.

Why are the Folsom points older in America than China?

Explain the bell, especially the figure on top and the alloy.

Explain the skull.

Those things exist. They have been around for a while. They are not recent finds.

Alamosa, CO

#183083 Nov 7, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
The London Hammer:
An Alleged Out-of-Place Artifact
"The stone is real, and it looks impressive to someone unfamiliar with geological processes. How could a modern artifact be stuck in Ordovician rock? The answer is that the concretion itself is not Ordovician. Minerals in solution can harden around an intrusive object dropped in a crack or simply left on the ground if the source rock (in this case, reportedly Ordovician) is chemically soluble (Cole, 1985)."
"Such limy concretions can sometimes form in decades or less, and have been found around modern objects such as World War II artifacts (McKusick and Shinn, 1980). It's even possible that the nodule might contain a mixture of ancient and modern sediments or organic remains, as might occur in muddy muddles and pits in a mining operation."
http://paleo.cc/paluxy/hammer.htm
BTW, there were a lot of could be's, and nothing substantial in that article you posted. I will draw to your attention the assertion the bare iron caused by the file cut should not have rusted because it wasn't rusty already as the rest of the hammer. Perhaps he is not familiar with the old methods of providing rust inhibitions to gun barrels by rusting them. Browning the barrels. How you got the name Brown Bess for the English musket. Nice authoritative assertion by your author.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183084 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do some study on the evolution of whales, they are a great example of evolutionary changes in a population over time.

Next, ask your doctor why he hesitates to administer antibiotics for every little problem you might have.

Now ask a farmer if he is using the same insecticides he was using 8-10 years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min Eagle 12 22,207
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 36 min Eagle 12 24,933
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 45 min Aura Mytha 52,451
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 46 min Thinking 238
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 1 hr IB DaMann 5,814
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Hedonist Heretic 544
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 2 hr thetruth 169
More from around the web