Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182916 Nov 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Swami Dave sees a Bush
Be careful while shaving.

Location hidden

#182917 Nov 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus animals don't need 3 squares a day, plus the dove said the olives were ready.
Plus 40 days on a rocking and rolling boat isn't conducive to really hearty appetites.
I'm sorry, Dave.

What did the dove say?

Location hidden

#182918 Nov 5, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree. I went deep sea fishing one time out of Galveston. It was a group of us from work. We went about 200 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. I have never seen so many sick people in all my life.
That's where we put the sick people, Eagle.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
They were throwing up everywhere.
See? That's why we put them there. Galveston, you say? Hmmm.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fishing was great by the way.
Free chum.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What was really funny was several of the guys were Navy Veterans. They were the sickest poor souls.[laughing].
You left them there, right?
Thinking

UK

#182919 Nov 5, 2013
Wrong.

Eliminating the part of the population intelligent enough to make the Manhattan project produce A bombs is no example of selecting on the best.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
His designs for the holocaust were based on evolution theory.
Thinking

UK

#182920 Nov 6, 2013
Bollocks. If you look at the Wiki definition, it is clear you only want to use one small part of the definition to further your lies.

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

That's why I prefer to use "non believer" - because people like you are dishonest.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such definition of atheism. Never seen it used.
The actual definition is "the belief that no god exists".
It is not certitude that defines atheism; it is belief.
Same as any other belief.
Thinking

UK

#182921 Nov 6, 2013
Ateides was scared of Artifical Intelligence.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Free thinkers are always questioning things, not good for totalitarian rule. Or those who would attempt to impose the restraints of such diabolical designs.
The communist freethinkers were deluded by quasi religious thinking though, it was a step in the right direction it was a step towards control also. Hard thing to find freedom , I do not believe in god, but believe to attempt to suppress freedom will incur the wrath of a sleeping entity that could be defined such.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
Duke Leto Atreides
Thinking

UK

#182922 Nov 6, 2013
Atreides ^

Location hidden

#182923 Nov 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Bollocks. If you look at the Wiki definition, it is clear you only want to use one small part of the definition to further your lies.
"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."
That's why I prefer to use "non believer" - because people like you are dishonest.
<quoted text>
I'm an Abuckist.

Buck doesn't exist.

I made him up just to see if people would think he was real.

I have to go watch Blacklist now.

I like James Spader.
Thinking

UK

#182924 Nov 6, 2013
I'm glad you don't give a Buck.

I'm rewatching "Utopia" - bleak yet fun.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an Abuckist.
Buck doesn't exist.
I made him up just to see if people would think he was real.
I have to go watch Blacklist now.
I like James Spader.

Location hidden

#182925 Nov 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'm glad you don't give a Buck.
I'm rewatching "Utopia" - bleak yet fun.
<quoted text>
I'm hooked on Misfits.

Have you seen it?
Thinking

UK

#182926 Nov 6, 2013
I *loved* the first two series. It's a case of diminishing returns for me now the original line up is gone. Still watch it though. Fifth and final series imminent.

"I f**king hate Nazis" - classic line.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm hooked on Misfits.
Have you seen it?

Location hidden

#182927 Nov 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I *loved* the first two series. It's a case of diminishing returns for me now the original line up is gone. Still watch it though. Fifth and final series imminent.
"I f**king hate Nazis" - classic line.
<quoted text>
I know what you mean. I think Misfits could handle the change of characters though. The whole premise is metamorphosis.

I've never watched more than the first two seasons of Skins. Nicholas Hoult was that show.
Thinking

UK

#182928 Nov 6, 2013
My wife bailed out of Skins at the same time. I struggled through series 3 but it was not very good. I thought Hannah Murray (Cassie) was the other outstanding early performance, along with Hoult's.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you mean. I think Misfits could handle the change of characters though. The whole premise is metamorphosis.
I've never watched more than the first two seasons of Skins. Nicholas Hoult was that show.

Location hidden

#182929 Nov 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
My wife bailed out of Skins at the same time. I struggled through series 3 but it was not very good. I thought Hannah Murray (Cassie) was the other outstanding early performance, along with Hoult's.
<quoted text>
It was a great cast but how often does that happen?

I watched Run and I just wanted to kill myself afterwards.It was probably the most depressing show I've ever seen.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182930 Nov 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
On two contentious positions, I will opt for something other than Wiki.

Like philosophy academics throughout history.
----------

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).

Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).

Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).

Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).

According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).

Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).

Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Location hidden

#182931 Nov 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Wrong.
Eliminating the part of the population intelligent enough to make the Manhattan project produce A bombs is no example of selecting on the best.
<quoted text>
Obviously, your premise is false since we have the A bomb.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what the population being eliminated was capable of, only what the regime doing the elimination thought to be true.

CONNECTING HITLER AND DARWIN
By: dberlinski
4/18/2008 03:01 AM
"One man – Charles Darwin – says:'In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals.' Another man – Adolf Hitler – says:'Let us kill all the Jews of Europe'.
Is there a connection?
Yes,obviously is the answer of the historical record and common sense."

Location hidden

#182932 Nov 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm hooked on Misfits.
Have you seen it?
No, this one's too easy.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182933 Nov 6, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>yep Weather manipulations, cause earthquakes... only big Superpower nations have them
What they have can effect everything.

I posted about the capacitor action. Yesterday I commented on PTAG about interesting looking fluctuations in the proton and electron fluxes coming in just a short while before that X3 hit. That stuff hits the ionosphere from the outside, HAARP from the inside. But disturbances in that balance have global effects. The below was posted this morning. I have written of the knitting of matter and long distance control.

Believe or not, I trust these guys in their use of it. They have to live here within what they do. They may have pushed a few things to see what they got, but we survived and hopefully developed an understanding of it. Some forces you don't call on unless you absolutely need them.

"Radiation from the flare caused a surge in the ionization of Earth's upper atmosphere--and this led to a rare magnetic crochet. Alexander Avtanski observed the effect using a homemade magnetometer in San Jose, California. A magnetic crochet is a disturbance in Earth's magnetic field caused by electrical currents flowing in air 60 km to 100 km above our heads. Unlike geomagnetic disturbances that arrive with CMEs days after a flare, a magnetic crochet occurs while the flare is in progress. They tend to occur during fast impulsive flares like this one"

http://www.spaceweather.com/

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#182934 Nov 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You should worry more about those that have listed you as a fruitcake.
Why worry about deliberate ignorance, they (and you) are irrelevant.
Thinking

UK

#182935 Nov 6, 2013
More bollocks from you. That's why I prefer the term "non believer" to avoid your sort of smears and lies.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
On two contentious positions, I will opt for something other than Wiki.
Like philosophy academics throughout history.
----------
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Consequences of Atheism 23 min QUITTNER Apr 26 2015 1,318
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 34 min Freebird USA 9,329
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 48 min Zog Has-fallen 18,691
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 18 hr Liam R will return 31
News Confessions of a black atheist 19 hr Peaks 399
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sat thetruth 2,059
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Sat thetruth 165
More from around the web