Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,761)

Showing posts 175,201 - 175,220 of216,866
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Atheism requires faith. Atheism is a belief, specifically, that no god exists.

Since that assertion exceeds actual knowledge, it is faith.

Hope that is helpful.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that is helpful.
It wasn't.

Do you have faith that unicorns don't exist or do you just not believe in them?

All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't.
All atheism is as practiced by you is childish but whaddabouts.

There is no maturity in your thought processes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't.
You would rather talk about unicorns. I'm addressing the specific point, and you are absolutely wrong.

Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (the preeminent reference tool for philosophy):

"Atheism is the position that affirms the nonexistence of God. It proposes positive belief rather than mere suspension of disbelief."

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

"Atheism’ means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."

Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswered or unanswerable; for the atheist, the nonexistence of God is a certainty."
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You would rather talk about unicorns. I'm addressing the specific point, and you are absolutely wrong.
Encyclopedia Britannica:
"Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswered or unanswerable; for the atheist, the nonexistence of God is a certainty."
You are absolutely wrong. People often call folk like Richard Dawkins and me atheists.

You look at one definition but ignore all of the others - and you never tire of being absolutely wrong.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that is helpful.
The infinite pizza is better.

Or we could resume our discussion of the separation of church and state.

Or fix that squarin' off place.

OK gotta go to the gym to get ready for Bama.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The infinite pizza is better.
Or we could resume our discussion of the separation of church and state.
Or fix that squarin' off place.
OK gotta go to the gym to get ready for Bama.
Good luck with that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely wrong. People often call folk like Richard Dawkins and me atheists.
You look at one definition but ignore all of the others - and you never tire of being absolutely wrong.
What people call other people is irrelevant.

Words have meaning.

If one wants to call himself something, "atheist", for instance, he should know what it means.

You want to use revisionist terms because you don't like the meaning of terms. Atheism is a belief.

Those who assert otherwise are simply trying to relieve themselves of any burden of belief, and establish atheism as a neutral, rational position.

It's a lie.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely wrong. People often call folk like Richard Dawkins and me atheists.
You are simply a bald-faced liar.

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).

Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).

Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).

According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).

Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).

Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All atheism is as practiced by you is childish but whaddabouts.
There is no maturity in your thought processes.
Dude…you believe the story of Noah and the Ark is real.

Needless to say, I'm not overly worried about what you think of my thought processes…

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Encyclopedia Britannica:
Thanks, but you didn't answer the question:

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The amount of water can also increase by passing through water vapor floating space. I posted links about that.
It's really hard communicating with you Dave because you constantly don't understand what's being said in a conversation, then create a straw man and run off in some asinine direction to attack him. You'll argue that the Earth does release some of it's matter into the universe to explain how how 30 percent of the water from a ridiculous story about a flood, supposedly receded over a short period of time. You butt into a conversation debating a literal interpretation of the bible, and beat a straw man that the bible wasn't meant to be taken literally... when that was same point I had been making. But again you were too stupid to see that.

As I predicted, the fundie had to rush to the defense of his precious book of nonsense. I waste a lot of time explaining things to you Dave, and you don't appreciate it one bit. A simple thank you once in a while would be nice.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude…you believe the story of Noah and the Ark is real.
Needless to say, I'm not overly worried about what you think of my thought processes…
Dude, I believe there is some historical event it relates to WAY back in time.

You are to used to TV and such filling your brain and becoming your realities. Complete stories written for you to watch and follow. Undeveloped skills of intuition and deduction.

I could care less about those aspects of you if you weren't on here acting like you actually know something and feel compelled to call others dummies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really hard communicating with you Dave because you constantly don't understand what's being said in a conversation, then create a straw man and run off in some asinine direction to attack him. You'll argue that the Earth does release some of it's matter into the universe to explain how how 30 percent of the water from a ridiculous story about a flood, supposedly receded over a short period of time. You butt into a conversation debating a literal interpretation of the bible, and beat a straw man that the bible wasn't meant to be taken literally... when that was same point I had been making. But again you were too stupid to see that.
As I predicted, the fundie had to rush to the defense of his precious book of nonsense. I waste a lot of time explaining things to you Dave, and you don't appreciate it one bit. A simple thank you once in a while would be nice.
If you could realize you aren't carrying on a conversation, but rather a monologue you wouldn't say that. You're like a wannabe comedian trying to create a funny story by setting up the dialogue.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but you didn't answer the question:
If I have "faith" that a unicorn does not exist, then I am an ATHEIST on unicorns.

If I simply lack belief that a unicorn exists, I am AGNOSTIC on unicorns.

You can't be an ATHEIST ON UNICORNS and also claim you simply lack belief.

If you simply lack belief on unicorns, you are not an ATHEIST ON UNICORNS.

That puts your bumbling analogy into proper perspective.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are simply a bald-faced liar.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
Hey Buck, hows it going?
I guess you can't get over the atheist belief dilemma?
But are you going to go for broke in double jeopardy now and tell us since atheism is a belief system, that atheism is a religion?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If I have "faith" that a unicorn does not exist, then I am an ATHEIST on unicorns.
HAH! This is hilarious Buck!

ATHEIST ON UNICORNS.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, I believe there is some historical event it relates to WAY back in time..
Whatever helps you sleep, kitten.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Except, of course, that you still haven't answered the question.

Do you have faith that unicorns don't exist or do you simply lack belief in unicorns.

(and how odd that you can be an atheist on unicorns when, on a different discussion thread, you insisted that atheism relates only to god. But I guess definitions only matter sometimes…)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
.....You want to use revisionist terms because you don't like the meaning of terms. Atheism is a belief.....
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods

And then you wonder why people see religion as a mental illness.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 175,201 - 175,220 of216,866
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••