Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
175,141 - 175,160 of 224,543 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Paine
'
The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion.

... Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is none more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory in itself, than this thing called Christianity.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

JOHN STUART MILL (1806-1873) English political economist philosopher

Christian morality ... is essentially the doctrine of passive obedience; it inculcates submission to all authorities found established.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

GEORGE SANTAYANA (1863-1952) Spanish-born American skeptical philosopher
Reason in Science

Christianity persecuted, tortured, and burned. Like a hound it tracked the very scent of heresy. It kindled wars, and nursed furious hatreds and ambitions. It sanctified, quite like Mohammedism, extermination and tyranny. All this would have been impossible if, like Buddhism, it had looked only for peace and the liberation of souls. It looked beyond; it dream of infinite busses and crowns it should be crowned with before an electrified universe and an applauding God .... Buddhism had tried to quiet a sick world with anesthetics; Christianity sought to purge it with fire.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Jeff Sharlet
author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"

A secretive group known as The Fellowship, or “The Family,” is one of the most powerful Christian fundamentalist movements in the United States. The Family’s devoted membership includes congressmen, corporate leaders, generals and foreign heads of state.

Unlike other Christian right groups, they [The Family] don’t really believe that you’re in power because you’re a good person.They believe that they are the “new chosen,” that you’re chosen for power by God. You’re not so much elected by the people as selected from above. And when you’re in that position, it doesn’t matter what you do. In a similar vein, the foreign leaders with whom they work, the dictators, about whom they have no illusions, are chosen by God for their countries, regardless of how brutal they are.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Contrary Notions
by Michael Parenti
The Michael Parenti Reader
City Lights Books, 2007, paperback, p9

Rightist Christian media comprise a multi-billion-dollar industry, controlling about 11 percent of all radio outlets and 14 percent of the nation's television stations.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Jeff Sharlet
author of "The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power"

Siad Barre, dictator of Somalia - in the early ’80s, the Soviets had abandoned him. There had been a power shift between Somalia and Ethiopia. He was in the market for a new patron... He was very clear. He said [to representatives of The Family],“I’m willing to pray to Jesus, and here’s what I want in return. I want my defense budget doubled. I want meetings for my officials with the Reagan White House. And I want a sort of a hands-off policy while I crack down on some rebels."
And Barre used those weapons, supplied to him in part by the US, to wage a war of almost biblical proportion on his own people, from which Somalia has not recovered to this day. The Family doesn’t consider that a failure; they consider that God’s will for Somalia.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Jeff Sharlet

[The Family] is a group that is explicitly opposed to democracy, explicitly opposed to doing things in public. They believe the more invisible you can make your organization, the more influence you can have. They’re acting like a lobby; they’re not registering like a lobb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Jeff Sharlet

Somalia [Siad Barre] is almost the purest case possible of US support for an absolutely murderous regime.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Lt .William G Boykin, Pentagon's Undersecretary for intel
Superpatriotism, Michael Parenti, p59

The Pentagon's Undersecretary for intel Lt William G Boykin. In 2003, appearing in uniform before fundamentalist Christian groups, Boykin announced that
Bush "was not elected by a majority of the voters... he was appointed by God."

Explaining how he prevailed against a Muslim militia leader in the 1993 US invasion of Somalia, Boykin proclaimed, "I knew my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God and his was an idol."

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Bill Moyers, Blind Faith, InThese Times magazine, February 2005, p23

Nearly half of the members of Congress are backed by the religious right. Forty-five senators and 186 members of the 108th Congress earned 80 to 100 percent approval ratings from the three most influential[Christian-right advocacy groups.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Lost Founder
Harvey Kaye, American Prospect July 2005, p34

Reagan ... had constructed a new Republican alliance-a New Right-of corporate elites, Christian evangelicals, conservative and neoconservative intellectuals, and a host of right-wing interest groups in hopes of undoing the liberal politics and programs of the past 40 years, reversing the cultural changes and developments of the 1960s, and establishing a new national governing consensus.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

American Fascists
The Christian Right and the War on America
by Chris Hedges, p207
k
Corporations and their enraged and manipulated followers in the Christian Right, tens of millions of them, if left unchecked will propel us into despotism. The corporate state has now rigged our system, hollowed out our political process and steadily stripped citizens of constitutional rights, as well as federal and state protection and assistance. This may be the twilight of American democracy.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

a young Indonesian university English major - to John Perkins

The Secret History of the American Empire
by John Perkins, p181
k"
The West, especially its leader, the U.S., is determined to take control of all the world, to become the greatest empire in history. It has already gotten very close to succeeding. The Soviet Union currently stands in its way, but the Soviets will not endure. They have no religion, no faith, no substance behind their ideology. History demonstrates that faith-soul, a belief in higher powers-is essential. We Muslims have it. We have it more than anyone else in the world, even more than the Christians. So we wait. We grow strong.

... Stop being so greedy, and so selfish. Realize that there is more to the world than your big houses and fancy stores. People are starving and you worry about oil for your cars. Babies are dying of thirst and you search the fashion pages for the latest styles. Nations like ours are drowning in poverty, but your people don't even hear our cries for help. You shut your ears to the voices of those who try to tell you these things. You label them radicals or Communists. You must open your hearts to the poor and downtrodden, instead of driving them further into poverty and servitude. There's not much time left. If you don't change, you're doomed.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>our US Military mostly likely feeds them drugs -making them psychotic ... did you During WW2 the NAZI gOVT FEED THEIR sOLDIERS WITH PHYSICAL- ENHANCING DRUGS to keep soldier in top performing performance and alert and effect turn them into Pyscho-killing machines...
Yes, it's all so tawdry.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
That's great. A nuclear warhead exploding is also a "mindless process". A beam bouncing from earth and back from a a global positioning satellite is also a "mindless process". And so on. Everything is a "mindless process", depending on which part you look at. I'm glad we had a "physicist" to point that out for us. What would we have done?
Were you aware that the post was made to a Christian that had been arguing that life and intelligence couldn't arise from anything other than other life and intelligence, and hence his repeated reference to the mindless nature of the blind physical processes that led to life and mind?

Did you have a rebuttal to the post, or even a point?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
You Topix atheists. say your prayers thanking whatever started religion for your being here. It civilized man, and gave you your education.
Nonsense.

Religion will be remembered as the phase of man's evolution that connected the time when he was first capable of wondering about the world and his place in it to the time when he answered those questions to his satisfaction.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Don't be ungrateful bastards.
I'm very grateful, but not to organized religion. I grateful to the people that are helping us to be free from it.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." –Diderot

Why do you suppose so many decent and brilliant people feel just like that?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
If he said those words you quoted then he fell into religious bigotry as well as racial bigotry.
We have sufficient grounds to dislike and distrust organized religion. It is not bigotry to want to see a pernicious institution like the church disempowered.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you quite read a book?
This is so typical of you and the rest of the fundies Dave. The old bait and switch technique.(Yes you are a fundie. You can't claim to be a Deist when you talk so much like a fundie. Don't say a word.., you're a fundie and you know it.)
The conversation you butted in on was concerning the story of Noah's Arc. Eagle was trying to qualify how the entire world could flood with water, like it says it did in the Bible, and then how all the water receded. For all practical purposes, the atmosphere is a closed system. The amount of water on Earth can increase by comet strikes, however, that would have taken a ridiculously large amount of comet strikes to flood the entire world. However, let's say that it happened, and several comets with a combined mass of about a quarter of the moon or so had hit the earth and caused it to flood. Where did all that water recede to? It's fun to discuss Noah's Arc because it's one of the most far fetched and ridiculous stories in your Bible, yet Christians will still try to defend it and make sense of it, because the only other option is to admit that the book which they base their entire belief system on is nothing but a bunch of fairy tales.
Now you claim to not be a fundie, but watch how you rear up now in defense of your Bible and spew out a bunch of convoluted EM theory that "proves" the world could have actually flooded and then how the water magically receded.
The amount of water can also increase by passing through water vapor floating space. I posted links about that.

I am not saying that such a thing happened as described EXACTLY in the Bible. You are the literalist with fundie tendencies. You are dealing with books that recorded ancient folklore passed down orally. You act like these were deliberate novels designed to enslave future generations. Perhaps this is due to some paranoid tendencies you have.

If you read the account of Exodus I posted a few days ago you should readily understand I could not be a fundie.

Here is the difference in how you and I look at things. You read something, take it literally, and the go running off at the mouth in support or opposition to it. Perhaps you do that just as an excuse to run off at the mouth. I pick through things looking for commonalities and events, and compare them to real world events and experiences. You read a section in the Bible and have a comic book understanding of it. I read it and relate it to how things are done today. Those characters in the Bible are no different than my neighbors today. Those accounts are no different than what you hear today. You assume news and science reports are not shaded by those witnessing and those editing to make reports. Simple minded grasp of "reality". You are topical. That is also called shallow. You are still stuck in absorption mode and have not learned to put things in perspective and do some serious learning, and increasing the depth of your understanding.

Now, you will ignore those words of truth and immediately go into a rant disguised, and poorly, as wittiness to defend your ego.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
Religion will be remembered as the phase of man's evolution that connected the time when he was first capable of wondering about the world and his place in it to the time when he answered those questions to his satisfaction.
<quoted text>
I'm very grateful, but not to organized religion. I grateful to the people that are helping us to be free from it.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." –Diderot
Why do you suppose so many decent and brilliant people feel just like that?
IANS, your secular humanism and faith it will win out IS an organized religion. Just another sect formed from the Christian ethos with a different perspective. Just another evolutionary branch of that Church.

It is not the first of its sort, which is why it is allowed. They all blend in to form something new. But you won't get rid of God and Jesus. They are the very pillars of even your morality.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you aware that the post was made to a Christian that had been arguing that life and intelligence couldn't arise from anything other than other life and intelligence, and hence his repeated reference to the mindless nature of the blind physical processes that led to life and mind?
Did you have a rebuttal to the post, or even a point?
My rebuttal stands, without care for whom or what the post was attempting to address.

Polymath offered mangled logic - offering presence of "mindless" components to existence as proof of universal "mindlessness" of origins.

It's a common flaw of his - knowing a lot but not understanding what he knows.

It is reminiscent of his flawed assertion that a 10' stick can be sectioned into infinite segments of positve length, which is impossible, by definition.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 34 min Electrical Engineer 842
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 252
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Carchar king 23
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Thinking 396
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 21,402
What does "Atheism" mean? 8 hr Buck Crick 37
Introducing The Universal Religion 12 hr nanoanomaly 735
•••
•••