Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258463 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182566 Nov 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
Religion will be remembered as the phase of man's evolution that connected the time when he was first capable of wondering about the world and his place in it to the time when he answered those questions to his satisfaction.
<quoted text>
I'm very grateful, but not to organized religion. I grateful to the people that are helping us to be free from it.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." –Diderot
Why do you suppose so many decent and brilliant people feel just like that?
IANS, your secular humanism and faith it will win out IS an organized religion. Just another sect formed from the Christian ethos with a different perspective. Just another evolutionary branch of that Church.

It is not the first of its sort, which is why it is allowed. They all blend in to form something new. But you won't get rid of God and Jesus. They are the very pillars of even your morality.

Judged:

12

12

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182567 Nov 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you aware that the post was made to a Christian that had been arguing that life and intelligence couldn't arise from anything other than other life and intelligence, and hence his repeated reference to the mindless nature of the blind physical processes that led to life and mind?
Did you have a rebuttal to the post, or even a point?
My rebuttal stands, without care for whom or what the post was attempting to address.

Polymath offered mangled logic - offering presence of "mindless" components to existence as proof of universal "mindlessness" of origins.

It's a common flaw of his - knowing a lot but not understanding what he knows.

It is reminiscent of his flawed assertion that a 10' stick can be sectioned into infinite segments of positve length, which is impossible, by definition.

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182568 Nov 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS, your secular humanism and faith it will win out IS an organized religion. Just another sect formed from the Christian ethos with a different perspective. Just another evolutionary branch of that Church.
It is not the first of its sort, which is why it is allowed. They all blend in to form something new. But you won't get rid of God and Jesus. They are the very pillars of even your morality.

Dave, IANS just wants to be the smartest guy in the room. He probably is, when you and I are absent.

Doctors practice for years as the smartest guy in the room. It's likely addictive.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182569 Nov 3, 2013
albtraum wrote:
A few months ago I interviewed a man whose church had verbally belittled him and his wife for refusing to give up short sleeves (?) What this has to do with the bible, I don't know....somehow they've decided that elbows are erm....sinful.
Isn't that a violation of his Second Amendment right to bare arms?
albtraum wrote:
IANS knows what part of the country I live in and he can vouch for some of the religious tomfoolery that goes on in this red state. I have longtime friends who espouse the same BS as thedave and theeagle do.....and promote and vote for the type of politicians who will pimp themselves out to all crazy sorts of ideas trying to force their isolationist and backwards moving notions into becoming the laws of the land.
I didn't realize that we were acquainted. I must know you by another name.

Incidentally, I'm leaving home for most of a week in about 20 minutes, and will have limited access to the Internet, so I may not see your reply or respond to it for several days.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182570 Nov 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We have sufficient grounds to dislike and distrust organized religion. It is not bigotry to want to see a pernicious institution like the church disempowered.
I will see your dislike of organized religion, and raise it to abhorrence.

I despise organized religion, and have more reason to do so than you.

There is a difference, though. I recognize that the present opposition and alternative to the influence of organized religion in our society IS FAR WORSE AND MORE DANGEROUS.

Judged:

11

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182571 Nov 3, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm game.
You know you *always* lose a fight with me.
It's your lot in life, Copper Scroll Boy.
It comforts you to remember things that way, huh?

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182572 Nov 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I will see your dislike of organized religion, and raise it to abhorrence.
I despise organized religion, and have more reason to do so than you.
There is a difference, though. I recognize that the present opposition and alternative to the influence of organized religion in our society IS FAR WORSE AND MORE DANGEROUS.
Exactly.

Opening the door to tyrants and lunatics to run things. The destruction of common sense. The self destruction of civilization.

It is evolutionary, it seems. Civilization has poisoned itself with its byproducts. The poison is paralyzing the collective mind.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182574 Nov 3, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
Glenn Greenwald commenting on John Dean's book 'Conservatives Without Conscience'-
Conservatives Without Conscience
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p186
What Bush followers crave more than anything else is submission to a powerful authority as a means of alleviating their fears of ambiguity, certainty and complexity... the characteristic which defines the Bush movement, the glue which binds it together and enables and fuels all of the abuses, is the vicious, limitless methods used to attack and demonize the "Enemy," which encompasses anyone-foreign or domestic-threatening to their movement. What defines and motivates this movement are not any political ideas or strategic objectives, but instead, it is the bloodthirsty, ritualistic attacks on the Enemy du jour - the Terrorist, the Communist, the Illegal Immigrant, the Secularist, and most of all, the "Liberal.
You mean like using the IRS to harass conservatives? Using the DOJ to tap the phones of reporters and their parents? Using drones to blast civilians in sovereign countries? You mean like Obama's rendition program which turns POWs over to foreign entities for torturing them?

Did John Dean mention how he master-minded Watergate? Then ratted out his friends?

Did I mention you are a total fu**ing moron?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182575 Nov 3, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
Conservatives Without Conscience
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p118
Eighteen months after winning his seat in Congress,[Newt Gingrich] who campaigned on keeping his family united asked for a divorce.[His wife] Jackie, who was in the hospital recovering from a second cancer operation, was confronted by her husband carrying a yellow legal pad filled with a list of his wishes regarding how the divorce should be handled. He wanted her to sign it, then and there, even though she was still groggy from surgery. When Gingrich abandoned his family he left them near destitute.
Did the burglars John Dean sent to the Watergate Hotel actually find the address book showing his girlfriend was part of a call-girl ring?

Never heard whether they found it.

Did you know John Dean testified that he never wrote nor read his own book?

If you didn't write a book you claimed to write, wouldn't you at least read it?

Are you aware that you are a moron?

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182576 Nov 3, 2013
Got it.

In a nutshell.

This atheism and secular humanism enslaves man to his circumstances. His position in life. Nothing higher to aspire to. No escape. No self worth.

Lots of nice words about equality and fraternity, but reality is you are stuck. Ego killing. You are just a commodity for other men to trade in.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182577 Nov 3, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Atheism requires faith. Atheism is a belief, specifically, that no god exists.

Since that assertion exceeds actual knowledge, it is faith.

Hope that is helpful.

Judged:

14

14

14

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182578 Nov 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism requires faith. Atheism is a belief, specifically, that no god exists.
Since that assertion exceeds actual knowledge, it is faith.
Hope that is helpful.
It wasn't.

Do you have faith that unicorns don't exist or do you just not believe in them?

All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182579 Nov 3, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't.
Do you have faith that unicorns don't exist or do you just not believe in them?
All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.
All atheism is as practiced by you is childish but whaddabouts.

There is no maturity in your thought processes.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182580 Nov 3, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't.
Do you have faith that unicorns don't exist or do you just not believe in them?
All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.
You would rather talk about unicorns. I'm addressing the specific point, and you are absolutely wrong.
__________


Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (the preeminent reference tool for philosophy):

"Atheism is the position that affirms the nonexistence of God. It proposes positive belief rather than mere suspension of disbelief."

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

"Atheism’ means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."

Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswered or unanswerable; for the atheist, the nonexistence of God is a certainty."
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#182581 Nov 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You would rather talk about unicorns. I'm addressing the specific point, and you are absolutely wrong.
__________
Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (the preeminent reference tool for philosophy):
"Atheism is the position that affirms the nonexistence of God. It proposes positive belief rather than mere suspension of disbelief."
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
"Atheism’ means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God."
Encyclopedia Britannica:
"Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswered or unanswerable; for the atheist, the nonexistence of God is a certainty."
You are absolutely wrong. People often call folk like Richard Dawkins and me atheists.

You look at one definition but ignore all of the others - and you never tire of being absolutely wrong.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#182582 Nov 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism requires faith. Atheism is a belief, specifically, that no god exists.
Since that assertion exceeds actual knowledge, it is faith.
Hope that is helpful.
The infinite pizza is better.

Or we could resume our discussion of the separation of church and state.

Or fix that squarin' off place.

OK gotta go to the gym to get ready for Bama.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182583 Nov 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The infinite pizza is better.
Or we could resume our discussion of the separation of church and state.
Or fix that squarin' off place.
OK gotta go to the gym to get ready for Bama.
Good luck with that.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182584 Nov 3, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely wrong. People often call folk like Richard Dawkins and me atheists.
You look at one definition but ignore all of the others - and you never tire of being absolutely wrong.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
What people call other people is irrelevant.

Words have meaning.

If one wants to call himself something, "atheist", for instance, he should know what it means.

You want to use revisionist terms because you don't like the meaning of terms. Atheism is a belief.

Those who assert otherwise are simply trying to relieve themselves of any burden of belief, and establish atheism as a neutral, rational position.

It's a lie.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182585 Nov 3, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely wrong. People often call folk like Richard Dawkins and me atheists.
You look at one definition but ignore all of the others - and you never tire of being absolutely wrong.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
You are simply a bald-faced liar.

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).

Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).

Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).

According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).

Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).

Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182586 Nov 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All atheism is as practiced by you is childish but whaddabouts.
There is no maturity in your thought processes.
Dude…you believe the story of Noah and the Ark is real.

Needless to say, I'm not overly worried about what you think of my thought processes…

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 41 min scientia potentia... 467
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Hedonist Heretic 22,076
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Brian_G 51,188
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr Curt 11,390
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 9 hr David 184
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 9 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,631
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 hr nanoanomaly 24,624
More from around the web