Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255314 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#182519 Nov 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to come up to modern times and ditch the old 1920’s interpretation. Today we have cars that start with a push of a button. We don’t have to go out in front of the vehicle and crank a lever.
We have like washers and dryers and modern appliances. We don’t use the outhouse anymore. We have bathrooms with plumbing.
It’s time to get up to date. You are way out of date with how people believe today.
Actually Eagle, I'm aware of all the things you mentioned. I was kidding about the animals all shitting out the window of the arc. I don't believe there even was an arc.:::::sheesh:::::

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#182521 Nov 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm ready.
Pick the squarin' off spot.
I've got yer back Cletch... to catch you when you fall that is.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#182522 Nov 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I like how Lewis says it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3PDZTveY4uQXX
Agreed, "Blinding you with not-science." LOL!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#182523 Nov 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll order the infinite Pizza.
Where should we meet?
Will I need pig slop? That's gonna cost extra.
Nano has the slop.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#182524 Nov 3, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> this is off topic, but you and the other free thinking folks on here should look up info on the dominionism trend in rightwing Christianity, and also the speeches and beliefs of Rafael cruz, the father of Ted Cruz. here comes the antiChrist! Ted C is the chosen one apparently. some folks are smart enough to know - but maybe not to say out loud - that it is the extreme rightwing of religion, participating in politics, that is the base of the viciousness, not the tea party as such - though plenty of them are in the tea party. Democrats should have realized that when we chased the white racists out of our party, they would go to the GOP, as well as KKK John Birch Society and assorted gangs, and that the consolidation of the evil forces of the former racist mostly but not entirely Southern Democrats along with the rightwing extremist GOP would result in a horrible Republican party base - along with a few nasty and or nutcase donors to fund the astroturf. I am now hoping more good folks will get into the GOP to stop the rightwing from taking it over entirely, but I doubt that they have the stomach for the kind of nasty fight that rightwing extremist Christians will give them.
Intellectual arguments about atheism are fine, but the impact of the rightwing of religion on politics is an urgent problem. Notice how the rightwingers on topix have no problem in linking their religious extremism with political extremism. But freethinker types may tend to be more intellectual and detached.
Indeed, the right wingnuts are getting a little scary. Don't get me wrong, religion is losing ground in this country day by day but those that are left seem to be getting more fundamentally vicious as they see their numbers shrink.

A few months ago I interviewed a man whose church had verbally belittled him and his wife for refusing to give up short sleeves (?) What this has to do with the bible, I don't know....somehow they've decided that elbows are erm....sinful.

They bowed out of the church since it was growing radical, but since there are family members involved on both sides of the debate things are pretty heated.

Attempted mind control in the 1st degree, I'd say.

My housekeeper proudly announced that her son and daughter don't date anyone(in accordance with church related rules)....her idea is that dating only encourages young people to have sex....WTF? She is very happy that her 21 year old daughter has never been interested in dating one single man....LOL! I think Mommy has a bigger surprise coming up down the road;0)

Seriously though, IANS knows what part of the country I live in and he can vouch for some of the religious tomfoolery that goes on in this red state. I have longtime friends who espouse the same BS as thedave and theeagle do.....and promote and vote for the type of politicians who will pimp themselves out to all crazy sorts of ideas trying to force their isolationist and backwards moving notions into becoming the laws of the land.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#182525 Nov 3, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think that place should not be open to impressionable children. How do parents explain to children, who presumably go on to higher education, and find out the true facts about the evidence in and on the earth, that 100% proves that no Flood, as depicted in the myth about Noah, ever occurred, nor could it ever have occurred, on this earth, and that is for many different reasons, that it could not have occurred (none of which are difficult to understand)?
It should be a crime to teach things to children that are known lies. As for teaching them myths for which we have no concrete evidence either way, then it would be hard to legislate against them, other than the children should be told that they are things that people believe in; not things that man has proved to be true.
Unfortunately, it's a sanctioned crime. A parent has the right to expose/shelter their children according to their own beliefs.

One can only hope that these poor brainwashed children will reach out for that knowledge and education someday. My own dear grandmother planned much of her practical life around the "Farmer's Almanac" and I do love and cherish her memory while realizing that she was a product of her time. Many a pinch of salt was thrown over her left shoulder for good luck.

C'est la vie;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#182526 Nov 3, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume that you are a man, or at least a human. Does that mean, then, that you have an understanding outside man's ability to understand? If a god exists, then you must be God. Is that true?
He's had an NDE (near death experience), something which has become much more common with advanced medical techniques. According to himself,(who else?) he has garnered specific and special insights into the entire human situation.

Enjoy, he'll be glad to tell you ALL about it.....ad nauseum;0)
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#182527 Nov 3, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, the right wingnuts are getting a little scary. Don't get me wrong, religion is losing ground in this country day by day but those that are left seem to be getting more fundamentally vicious as they see their numbers shrink.
A few months ago I interviewed a man whose church had verbally belittled him and his wife for refusing to give up short sleeves (?) What this has to do with the bible, I don't know....somehow they've decided that elbows are erm....sinful.
They bowed out of the church since it was growing radical, but since there are family members involved on both sides of the debate things are pretty heated.
Attempted mind control in the 1st degree, I'd say.
My housekeeper proudly announced that her son and daughter don't date anyone(in accordance with church related rules)....her idea is that dating only encourages young people to have sex....WTF? She is very happy that her 21 year old daughter has never been interested in dating one single man....LOL! I think Mommy has a bigger surprise coming up down the road;0)
Seriously though, IANS knows what part of the country I live in and he can vouch for some of the religious tomfoolery that goes on in this red state. I have longtime friends who espouse the same BS as thedave and theeagle do.....and promote and vote for the type of politicians who will pimp themselves out to all crazy sorts of ideas trying to force their isolationist and backwards moving notions into becoming the laws of the land.
Did U know a research studies (forgot the name) had been done shows upto 2% of the US Population are consider Type A , are Pyscopaths made up those in power leaders like Bush & Co, violent Criminals, most Soldiers, bullies, drug dealers, the immorals, corporatists, predators.... And , less 30% of Population are Authoritarian, sociopaths that is not as bad as Pyschopaths but some these sociopaths are the corrupted easily brainwashed to serve evil ...

United States

#182528 Nov 3, 2013
ADD!

The Authoritarians
by Bob Altemeyer
Associate Professor Department of Psychology University of Manitoba Winnipeg, Canada, 2006, p141

Religious fundamentalists are highly likely to be authoritarian followers. They are highly submissive to established authority, aggressive in the name of that authority, and conventional to the point of insisting everyone should behave as their authorities decide. They are fearful and self-righteous and have a lot of hostility in them that they readily direct toward various out-groups. They are easily incited, easily led, rather un-inclined to think for themselves, largely impervious to facts and reason, and rely instead on social, support to maintain their beliefs. They bring strong loyalty to their in-groups, have thick-walled, highly compartmentalized minds, use a lot of double standards in their judgments, are surprisingly unprincipled at times, and are often hypocrites.

... They are blind to themselves, ethnocentric and prejudiced, and as closed-minded as they are narrow-minded. They can be woefully uninformed about things they oppose, but they prefer ignorance and want to make others become as ignorant as they. They are also" surprisingly uninformed about the things they say they believe in, and deep down inside many of them have secret doubts about their core belief.

United States

#182529 Nov 3, 2013
Ex-president Jimmy Carter describing the fundamentalist movements that have taken control of the Republican Party

"
Almost invariably, fundamentalist movements are led by authoritarian males who consider themselves to be superior to others and, within religious groups, have an overwhelming commitment to subjugate women and to dominate their fellow believers.

United States

#182530 Nov 3, 2013
The Authoritarians
by Bob Altemeyer
Associate Professor Department of Psychology University of Manitoba Winnipeg, Canada, 2006, p173

High social dominators among university students say it has been their experience that:

* Deceit and cheating were good tactics because it led to what they wanted.
* Taking advantage of "suckers" felt great.
* They've enjoyed having power and having people afraid of them.
* "Losers" deserved what happened to them.
* It's smart to use whatever power you have in a situation to get what you want.
* Life boils down to what you can get away with.
* People who suffer misfortunes deserve them because they are lazy or dumb or made bad moves.
* They say their lives have taught them that "Life is a jungle."

These experiences indicate that the future dominator was rewarded earlier in life when he cheated, took advantage of others, made people afraid of him, overpowered others, got away with doing something wrong, or beat somebody to the punch. All of these actions may in turn have been predicated by a "tooth and claw" outlook that he learned from his parents. Or that outlook may just serve as a rationalization for being amoral, unsympathetic, and exploitive because acting this way often pays off.

United States

#182531 Nov 3, 2013
The Authoritarians
by Bob Altemeyer
'
The Religious Right has helped elect to high public office a lot of power-mad, manipulative, amoral deceivers to whom their followers are so vulnerable.

United States

#182532 Nov 3, 2013
Conservatives Without Conscience
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, pxiv

Authoritarianism is not well understood and seldom discussed in the context of American government and politics, yet it now constitutes the prevailing thinking and behavior among conservatives.

United States

#182533 Nov 3, 2013
by John Dean

Empirical studies reveal that authoritarians are frequently enemies of freedom, antidemocratic, anti-equality, highly prejudiced, mean-spirited, power hungry, Machiavellian, and amoral. They are also often conservatives without conscience.

United States

#182534 Nov 3, 2013
Sidney Blumenthal, Washington Post

Conservatism requires liberalism for its meaning [for] without the enemy [of liberalism] to serve as nemesis and model, conservative politics would lack its organizing principle.

United States

#182535 Nov 3, 2013
political scientists Charles W. Dunn and J. David Woodard reported in their study 'The Conservative Tradition in America'

Authoritarian conservatism begins with basic conservative beliefs - order, distrust of change, belief in traditional values - and branches in the direction of favoring state power to

United States

#182536 Nov 3, 2013
Authoritarian conservatism begins with basic conservative beliefs - order, distrust of change, belief in traditional values - and branches in the direction of favoring state power to protect these beliefs.

United States

#182537 Nov 3, 2013
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p102
k
Christian conservatives tend to emanate from strict religious backgrounds, and often prevent their children from being exposed to broader and different views by sending them to schools with like-thinking children, or by home schooling them. This, in turn, results in an authoritarian outlook that remains strong during adolescence - the period when authoritarian personalities are formed and then taken into adult life.

United States

#182538 Nov 3, 2013
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p103

Christian conservatives' primary tool in reinforcing authoritarianism is preaching fear.

United States

#182539 Nov 3, 2013
by John Dean
Penguin Books, 2006, p110

By constitutional design the federal judiciary is authoritarian, with lower court judges bound to follow higher court rulings. Thus, any five conservatives on the Supreme Court can make the law of the land, because all lower federal judges are bound by their decisions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Chimney1 31,363
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 min ChristineM 13,313
News Why I quit atheism 4 hr Aerobatty 1
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 hr ChristineM 19,907
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 13 hr ChristineM 9,738
Majority of Scots now have no religion 16 hr Eagle 12 9
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 16 hr Eagle 12 4,352
More from around the web