Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239565 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182057 Oct 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah's best friend Larry was the one who ridiculed him the most. Bill Cosby covered it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Gg1tTmLzAI4XX
I couldn't get it to play but I bet if was funny.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182058 Oct 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude…shhh. You and Eagle are getting your asses handed to you on this subject and you don't know how to back out gracefully.
Its hysterical...
That’s it Dorothy, you just keep clicking your heals and wishing.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182059 Oct 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
At least you have a healthy sense of humor.
A toast, Mr Eagle 12-- to your sense of humor.
[tipping hat] It's taken me a long time to get there.[laughing].

But thank you. You have been good for me.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182060 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Snow and water is not the same thing?
Doctor, you're in over your head. I think you better let this one go. I thought I would never be in a debate about water and snow being the same thing.
IANS has a way of limiting his understanding to suit what he wants to see.

Winter snowpack turns into raging Spring floods. Happens every year.

Pour 33 degree water on snow and snow is water. Raindrops are 33 degree and more. Running water doesn't turn into snow, and can be colder than ice. But it is water.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182061 Oct 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, I get very frustrated with people who are deliberately obtuse.
For you to claim that everyone in the world knew something is, quite literally, insane.
Even today, it is impossible for everyone in the world to have the same knowledge of a singular piece of news.
Barack Obama is President of the United States. Man walked on the moon. Princess Diana was killed in a tunnel in Paris. Apple makes computers. The Beatles made music….Everyone in the world knows these things, right? No. Believe it or not, there are people in the world who don't know these things. Who will never know these things. Who are born, will live and die without ever knowing things.
Therefore, when you say "everyone in the world know ANYTHING" you are either deliberately lying or extremely lacking in intelligence.
I think you make a good point if it were not for the vast numerical difference in today’s population versus the numbers in Noah’s day.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182062 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s it Dorothy, you just keep clicking your heals and wishing.
Why do fundies almost always misspell their insults, thereby making themselves look even more foolish?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182063 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS has a way of limiting his understanding to suit what he wants to see.
Winter snowpack turns into raging Spring floods. Happens every year.
Pour 33 degree water on snow and snow is water. Raindrops are 33 degree and more. Running water doesn't turn into snow, and can be colder than ice. But it is water.
I just can't believe the arguments these people make even about if snow is the same a water.[laughing]

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182064 Oct 30, 2013
John K wrote:
My point is that anyone can ramble on about Noah's ark and sound like they are making a well reasoned description of events. But sprinkling actual facts into a fabricated story doesn't make it true. I personally am on the side of the ark story being folklore. But it is amazing how much everyone on both sides of the question will go on and on about nothing. It just seems like a bunch of mental masterbaition .
I know what you mean. Chinese sounds the same to me.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182065 Oct 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do fundies almost always misspell their insults, thereby making themselves look even more foolish?
Ahhhhhh good for you.

You get the, find the

“Christians little mistake award.”

And that’s not all, you also get A NEW CAR.

Come on down and drive it off the lot!

But wait there’s more! You get an all inclusive 7 day stay in Hawaii.

But wait still, you get to ride as the Christian speller error finder Atheist in the next Gay Pride Parade.

Hey, it’s your lucky day!

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182066 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just can't believe the arguments these people make even about if snow is the same a water.[laughing]
They have no arguments. No more than a lesion has seeking a place to drip.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182067 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
I suspect that it is due to too much evidence based thought and not enough faith. There's absolutely nothing that can't be understood by faith. Nor its opposite.
Faith in medicine?

Is that considered faith?

Early Doctors would bleed their patients. Patients had faith their Doctor was doing the right thing.

Today they do both. They bleed patients and put blood right back into them.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182068 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
I know what you mean. Chinese sounds the same to me.
A little chinese food is a break from the norm.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182069 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They have no arguments. No more than a lesion has seeking a place to drip.
[laughing]

Fennario

#182070 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
It does demonstrate the silliness of faith-based thinking; people who are impervious to evidence, who resist it like Crusaders in a quest.
Biologically, we are the same species, since the seed of one can fertilize the womb of the other. A faith based thinker and a rational skeptic can produce a child.

But the opposite is true psychologically speaking. We have nothing to offer faith based thinkers apart from evidence and reason, to which they are impervious wherever faith is contradicted.

All he can offer in return is fervently held but unsupported beliefs, which only hold power over minds willing to accept them on faith.

The result is what you see: no cross-pollination of thought whatsoever. Neither is affected even a little by the seeds of thought planted by the other in the areas where faith and reason disagree. That's intellectual sterility.

That doesn't make it mental masturbation, however, as the gentleman suggested. It's interesting and instructive to behold, and there is plenty of teaching and learning going on where possible.

I expect this post to be a good example of that - of some interest and possibly benefit to one group, and nonsense to the other.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182071 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhhh good for you.
You get the, find the
But wait still, you get to ride as the Christian speller error finder Atheist in the next Gay Pride Parade.
shhh, Mr. Bitterman, shhhhh

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#182072 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhhh good for you.
You get the, find the
So you're homophobic, too?

Who knew?

Fennario

#182073 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Now! Now! IANS, you know very well that even Christianity doesn't care what Jesus said. <smile> I just would like them to keep their dogma du jour to themselves.
Of course, it's whatever church authority says, citing whichever scripture seem to best support that position. With a little faith, Jesus supports most positions and their opposites, so it's natural that there be a little disagreement on what Jesus meant - which parts he meant literally and which were to be interpreted metaphorically.

But whatever that is, I'm sure that you'd agree that in a pluralistic society, such things should affect nobody that doesn't willingly submit to them.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#182074 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course, it's whatever church authority says, citing whichever scripture seem to best support that position. With a little faith, Jesus supports most positions and their opposites, so it's natural that there be a little disagreement on what Jesus meant - which parts he meant literally and which were to be interpreted metaphorically.
But whatever that is, I'm sure that you'd agree that in a pluralistic society, such things should affect nobody that doesn't willingly submit to them.
At least Islam is honest about it. Islam means "Submit".

I prefer a rattler to a coral snake.

Fennario

#182075 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Snow and water is not the same thing?
No. They are easily distinguished.

Any two things can be compared and contrasted. They will always have traits in common and traits that distinguish them. The relative number of each is the way we decide which to call similar and which to call dissimilar.

Actually, there's a difference between selfsame, identical, equivalent and equal. Maybe you might like to tackle that one yourself and see if you can come up with definitions that assign meaningful distinctions to them.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Doctor, you're in over your head. I think you better let this one go.
I'll risk it.

Fennario

#182076 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
IANS, you have no evidence for anything you allege, especially this grand human secularism you dream about.
I'm content that I do.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Perhaps you are aware there are young children that kill other children without supervision and guidance. They are born atheists, right? Exerting their wills. Lord of the Flies were personalities that were already influenced by society as to what was right and wrong.
Was there an argument here? I don't even see an unsubstantiated opinion. Please make a clear and explicit statement if you're looking for a better answer.

Whatever you're saying, I continue to support the complete secularization of common society and the disempowerment of the church outside of the lives of those who don't want it there. I suppose you disagree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 26 min Agents of Corruption 7,544
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 57 min Aura Mytha 19,114
News America is losing religion - and why more and m... 4 hr P_Smith 1
News New Atheism Produces Another Curiously Uncuriou... 4 hr P_Smith 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr thetruth 2,223
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 7 hr Pete-o 7,504
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 18 hr Rosa_Winkel 134
More from around the web