Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256555 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#182087 Oct 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle will also tell you that snow and water are exactly the same. That when Genesis says the mountains were covered with water, what they really mean was that the mountain tops were actually covered with snow, same as water. I guess that means the bible is lying, or can tell the difference between snow and water.
I that case a global flood requires winter boots and a snowmobile.

N/P taking care of animals build a big igloo , it they try to escape
....well lets just say following their tracks wont be real hard.

But hey the winter wonderland flood is perfect Disney imagination!

Ice age IIIIV Spot the food!

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#182088 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why iron or steel? Bronze or copper or even wood can serve the same purposes if fashioned tight. Don't confuse construction expediency with design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_treasure...
Note there were accounts written, but it is the experts of today trained in other ways that say it couldn't be done.
Sad, all of history was a lie according to the scholars of today.
Copper is way too malleable to use as a beam, bronze forgings have never been made in such large casts.
Brass is not invented yet, but neither has any of the other metals been developed yet.

You might as well say Noah was a fiberglass expert.

Or that gophers sell titanium logs to ancient sheep herders at discount rates.

Or you could say Noah melted down all his beer cans to make an aluminum hull ...:)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182089 Oct 30, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Robert, are you prepared to meet the Lord Jesus Christ after you leave this current world??: http://biblehub.com/revelation/20-12.htm
Sure-- why not?

I will save up a giant lugie to hork directly into his hate-filled eye.

And if he gets down on his knees and BEGS me for forgiveness for all the EVIL he has permitted in his name?

I will **think** about forgiving him-- maybe.

But he will have to be quite sincere and humble--

--- two things your Jewsus(jesus) was never good at.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182090 Oct 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Massive flooding definitely did occur in biblical times, before and since. But that is irrelevant to a discussion of the Christian bible story. If you shrink your claim enough, we'll likely eventually agree with you, but not your bible.
"Massive" sounds like a 2013 interpretation of what was described millennia ago as a nearly life extinguishing event, meaning a global phenomenon, which is what they were calling it in the 1940s. I don't think anybody present is arguing against massive flooding having occurred.
From the trailer for the 1928 film Noah's Ark: "See the flood that destroyed the world"
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/28970/Noah...
What is the 2013 version? The massive flood that damaged a region?
"A massive flood that destroyed an ego...."

That's more like it.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182091 Oct 30, 2013
John K wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that anyone can ramble on about Noah's ark and sound like they are making a well reasoned description of events. But sprinkling actual facts into a fabricated story doesn't make it true. I personally am on the side of the ark story being folklore. But it is amazing how much everyone on both sides of the question will go on and on about nothing. It just seems like a bunch of mental masterbaition .
Well... the problem lies in the fact that some folk wish to get the Noah flood taught in public schools along side real science.

And what's worse-- a large segment of our elected government, does believe the idiotic flood story is real!

And these morons are making **policy** based on an imaginary tale of ignorance and superstition.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182092 Oct 30, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So sad and to think of the genocide of the entire human race baring for 8 people.
But so lucky that inbreeding defects did not condemn the human race to lunacy and extinction.
Indeed... the whole tale is quite ugly, in light of modern understanding of both animals (as in extinction events) and human DNA.

But it's a cute tale, if you are simple minded and shallow too.

Being simple minded lets you ignore the many scientific problems with the story.

And being shallow lets you ignore the fact that all the kittens, all the puppies-- pretty much all the animals in the world had to die to make the story work.

And that is beyond ugly. That is obscene.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182093 Oct 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
noah ark didn't happen, only an idiot would believe such a stupid story.
Religious lies deserve no attention without proof.
Correct.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182094 Oct 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Copper is way too malleable to use as a beam, bronze forgings have never been made in such large casts.
Brass is not invented yet, but neither has any of the other metals been developed yet.
You might as well say Noah was a fiberglass expert.
Or that gophers sell titanium logs to ancient sheep herders at discount rates.
Or you could say Noah melted down all his beer cans to make an aluminum hull ...:)
You are assuming a lot about the metals. Read the begatting of Cain.

" And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah."

Cain's line ended with the flood.

Wood beams. They can even be several smaller bundled together to make a big one.

Boy, if we were cavemen I would have your woman. I could get her running hot water while you waited for Sears to be invented. And then called a plumber.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182095 Oct 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No, Dai, that's not a sea-anchor.
And a keeled hull will NOT keep your craft head-to-wind if it's unpowered. You're still going beam-end-on, and roll.
Correct: actual tests using actual to-scale arks proved that it would founder and sink, in even slight wave action.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182096 Oct 30, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Worth noting that that halfwit Huibers wanted to take the thing to London for the Olympics, but it was denied a COS (Certificate of Seaworthiness), and the London Council denied it permission to dock anyway, on the grounds that it represented a fire and sinking danger.
LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182097 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Snow and water is not the same thing?
No more than snow and steam are. Duuuuuhhhh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182098 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your concerns and those of your fellow Atheist.
But in this day and time it’s not Christianity that’s a danger facing Atheist.
It’s extremist in the Muslim faith. They demand respect and will stop at nothing to get that respect.
As Boston bombing as evidence. The way we all travel has been dramatically altered because of Muslim extremist actions.
Good luck fighting Muslim extremism. Because if you don’t follow their course. Your butt cheeks are going to be your new legs.
I see little difference between fanatical islam and fanatical xianity.

Seriously-- both cause great harm to modern societies.

Both hurt progress, by trying to suppress new knowledge and new scientific discoveries.

Neither has any proof for their cult's claims.

Both cults have shown a willingness to murder to further their goals.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#182099 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are assuming a lot about the metals. Read the begatting of Cain.
" And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah."
Cain's line ended with the flood.
Wood beams. They can even be several smaller bundled together to make a big one.
Boy, if we were cavemen I would have your woman. I could get her running hot water while you waited for Sears to be invented. And then called a plumber.
That's the whole problem with your ideas...if we were cavemen.

You think the land to the East died with your imaginary flood?

China hello Dave, China is footing your fantasy now huh?

Chinese people jump more high huh?

“Get it right”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#182100 Oct 30, 2013
Sharing a post I just put up in 2 other forums due to related themes with this forum.
Here's a real gem from this month! Wonder why this story isn't getting much attention (or is it?). Sounds very intriguing and actually may well be true.. at least after first thought.
Link:
http://www.bubblews.com/news/1298334-scholars...
My cut and pasting begins here:
Two historians, American Joseph Atwill and the UK’s Kenneth Humphreys, will hold a symposium in London on Oct. 19, at which, they say, they’ll present new evidence that Jesus Christ never existed and that Christianity and the Gospels are fabrications invented by Roman Caesars of the first century.
The two scholars claim the plot was conceived as a means to redirect violent Jewish revolt against Roman authority into a peaceful (thereby ineffectual) movement, designed to control the hearts and minds of the Jewish population, and subverting rebellion against Rome without employing increasingly resource-draining military and political tactics.
And, they claim, it worked brilliantly then and continues to do so.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#182101 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
" And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah."....
Yep, another error n the Bible.

That is silly as having Lincoln drive a Lincoln to a Gettysburg adddress in 1863.

Alamosa, CO

#182102 Oct 30, 2013
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_mi...

See that nicely cut stone in that quarry? There are 3 more slightly smaller nearby. A very old place. It was past ancient before the Romans built upon it. It is called Baalbek.

http://www.ancient.eu.com/Baalbek/

Big rock, huh? That and another one may have been ones the Romans cut and extracted, but didn't finish the job.

I don't think they had steel cables back then. Looks like they may have needed some pretty hefty ropes.

I can see Aura and his beer buddies putting there shoulders into it and pushing itafter winning the contract to move it. Might take a few cases of beer.

One more instance of brains and finesse of the ancients over the learnedness of today's scholars who say it couldn't be done.

BTW, there had to be some good motivation to go to that expense.

Yep, all of those dummy ancestors Topix atheists have.

It shows. Ain't DNA grand?

Alamosa, CO

#182103 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, another error n the Bible.
That is silly as having Lincoln drive a Lincoln to a Gettysburg adddress in 1863.
Why would silly myths designed to enslave you have so many errors, contradictions, and such details in them?

I haven't noticed any like that in other accounts of creation.

Smooth lies work better. Ask any politician.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#182104 Oct 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... the problem lies in the fact that some folk wish to get the Noah flood taught in public schools along side real science.
And what's worse-- a large segment of our elected government, does believe the idiotic flood story is real!
And these morons are making **policy** based on an imaginary tale of ignorance and superstition.
Good points. When someone ask's what harm does religion do, just site these examples. "Religion poisons everything."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#182105 Oct 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No more than snow and steam are. Duuuuuhhhh.
Clouds are also water, so maybe poor brain dead Eagle 12 meant the mountains were covered with CLOUDS since that is also water.

So poor old Eagle see's no difference between, water, snow, slush, clouds, steam, vapor, fog, mist, and spray. Whatafuckindope!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#182106 Oct 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No. They are easily distinguished.
Any two things can be compared and contrasted. They will always have traits in common and traits that distinguish them. The relative number of each is the way we decide which to call similar and which to call dissimilar.
Actually, there's a difference between selfsame, identical, equivalent and equal. Maybe you might like to tackle that one yourself and see if you can come up with definitions that assign meaningful distinctions to them.
<quoted text>
I'll risk it.
He can't make a distinction between water and snow, do you really think he has ANY shot at making a distinction between selfsame, identical, equivalent, and equal? Try hot and cold, he just might have a shot at that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why I quit atheism 26 min Chazofsaints 705
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 34 min Chazofsaints 18,515
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 36 min Chazofsaints 3,844
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 39 min Chazofsaints 5,689
Good arguments against Christianity 50 min Thinking 205
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Thinking 43,192
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr Thinking 511
More from around the web