Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256003 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#182046 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to tell me that precipitation at higher altitudes doesn’t happen?
Are you saying that snow is not frozen granular water?
Doctor nearly every mountain on the earth is covered with some level of precipitation right now!
Fundie tactic 101... "Are you saying....."

This phrase will ALWAYS be presented directly before something that one never said or even implied. It's deceitfulness at its core.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182047 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
According to Gallup, more than 9 in 10 Americans say "yes" when asked the basic question "Do you believe in God?"; The latest statistics show that a lack of religious identity increased in every U.S. state between 1990 and 2008. However less than 2% of the U.S. population describes itself as atheist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...
What matters to unbelievers is that the Christian church lose its cultural hegemony. We wish for it to cease manipulating Western society by foisting it peculiar worldview - its values, perceptions, and explanations - on those who really don't care what Jesus said.

From a practical standpoint, we prefer that far fewer people submit themselves to the church's teaching in the areas where it contradicts secular values. I could enumerate most of those values for you if you like, but you probably know them already.

So, it's really fine if everybody says that they believe in a god and none call themselves atheists just as long as they don't identify with the Christian church or submit to its will.

That should be fine with each and every believer, since you will remain free to worship as you see fit either way. You will remain free to not have abortions, to not get married if you are gay, and to not use abortifacient contraceptives if that is your choice. You'll even be able to stick an "under God" into your Pledge when you say it. And others will be equally free to do the opposite.

Does that sound fair to you?

Fennario

#182048 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Hey, Eagle, why are Topix atheists so limited in their understanding of things?
I suspect that it is due to too much evidence based thought and not enough faith. There's absolutely nothing that can't be understood by faith. Nor its opposite.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#182049 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
...A really big wooden bucket filled with stuff can float in the ocean.
The ark was in passive mode....
I'll grant you that point.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#182050 Oct 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
...We wish for it to cease manipulating Western society by foisting it peculiar worldview - its values, perceptions, and explanations - on those who really don't care what Jesus said....
Now! Now! IANS, you know very well that even Christianity doesn't care what Jesus said. <smile>

I just would like them to keep their dogma du'jur to themselves.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182051 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Snow is made of the same substance as water, and one can be converted to the other, but they are not the same thing. A snowstorm is not the same as a flood. The bible says flood and water, not snow.
More science, you say? Sure. My pleasure.
The word "water" in the scientific sense refers to the liquid form of (di)hydrogen (mon)oxide, or H2O. The solid form is called water ice, or just ice, and the gaseous form water vapor, or just vapor, although these unqualified terms are a little imprecise. For example, we also speak of things like dry ice and methane ice.
Snow and water is not the same thing?

Doctor, you're in over your head. I think you better let this one go. I thought I would never be in a debate about water and snow being the same thing.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182052 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
I suspect that it is due to too much evidence based thought and not enough faith. There's absolutely nothing that can't be understood by faith. Nor its opposite.
IANS, you have no evidence for anything you allege, especially this grand human secularism you dream about. This nobleness built within with no guidance from without.

Perhaps you are aware there are young children that kill other children without supervision and guidance. They are born atheists, right? Exerting their wills.

Lord of the Flies were personalities that were already influenced by society as to what was right and wrong.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182053 Oct 30, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We weren't discussing Noah, we were discussing your murdering god.
<quoted text>
None of that alters the fact that your bible clearly indicates it was your god's INTENT to murder everyone. That's genocide.
<quoted text>
Your god planned and intended for their death. Warning or no warning, he murdered them all. That's genocide. You can dress it up with all the fancy bows and flowers and justifications you want. But in the end, it was your god's intent to murder everyone. Sorry you dislike that so much.
You are most welcome to have your own opinion. I do not have any desire to strip you of your rights to freely express your views.

But for a God who doesn’t exist in your view. You sure put a lot of weight in your opinion about him as if he does exist in your mind.

I don’t see God the same as you. He has been very kind and generous to my family and myself. I have been blessed beyond measure. He is my savior and my God and in him do I trust forever and ever.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182054 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
What matters to unbelievers is that the Christian church lose its cultural hegemony. We wish for it to cease manipulating Western society by foisting it peculiar worldview - its values, perceptions, and explanations - on those who really don't care what Jesus said.
From a practical standpoint, we prefer that far fewer people submit themselves to the church's teaching in the areas where it contradicts secular values. I could enumerate most of those values for you if you like, but you probably know them already.
So, it's really fine if everybody says that they believe in a god and none call themselves atheists just as long as they don't identify with the Christian church or submit to its will.
That should be fine with each and every believer, since you will remain free to worship as you see fit either way. You will remain free to not have abortions, to not get married if you are gay, and to not use abortifacient contraceptives if that is your choice. You'll even be able to stick an "under God" into your Pledge when you say it. And others will be equally free to do the opposite.
Does that sound fair to you?
I understand your concerns and those of your fellow Atheist.

But in this day and time it’s not Christianity that’s a danger facing Atheist.

It’s extremist in the Muslim faith. They demand respect and will stop at nothing to get that respect.

As Boston bombing as evidence. The way we all travel has been dramatically altered because of Muslim extremist actions.

Good luck fighting Muslim extremism. Because if you don’t follow their course. Your butt cheeks are going to be your new legs.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182055 Oct 30, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fundie tactic 101... "Are you saying....."
This phrase will ALWAYS be presented directly before something that one never said or even implied. It's deceitfulness at its core.
Why thank you, we do try.[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182056 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Is that your standard for evidence? Something is true because you haven't located a disproof?
I don't think we need a study involving an actual ark. Recall that the craft would have been of rather large dimension unsupported with metal, and it would have had to withstand a brutal downpour closer to a waterfall than rainfall. Does that not enter into your calculations at all? It does with experts.
I would accept the conclusions of engineers, as well as reasoned arguments from people like blacklagoon and this gentleman that agree with them: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4279
Why would I trust their opinions more than say yours or Dave Nelson's? With all due respect, it is because of the errors you both make. Your standards for making a pronouncement as if it were true are not as high as they should be.
Also, I have learned to be suspicious of people arguing on behalf of their faith. They have different goals and values that significantly affect the quality of their scholarship.
<quoted text>
You just need to be a Monty Python fan. You can learn about wood floating at about 2:20 in this very educational clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zrzMhU_4m-gXX&list=RD02yp _l5ntikaU
<quoted text>
Yes, wood floats, just as well if not better when dashed to pieces than when assembled into an ark. Was that the issue?
"Yes, wood floats,"

Thank you my good Doctor![tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182057 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Noah's best friend Larry was the one who ridiculed him the most. Bill Cosby covered it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Gg1tTmLzAI4XX
I couldn't get it to play but I bet if was funny.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182058 Oct 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude…shhh. You and Eagle are getting your asses handed to you on this subject and you don't know how to back out gracefully.
Its hysterical...
That’s it Dorothy, you just keep clicking your heals and wishing.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182059 Oct 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
At least you have a healthy sense of humor.
A toast, Mr Eagle 12-- to your sense of humor.
[tipping hat] It's taken me a long time to get there.[laughing].

But thank you. You have been good for me.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182060 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Snow and water is not the same thing?
Doctor, you're in over your head. I think you better let this one go. I thought I would never be in a debate about water and snow being the same thing.
IANS has a way of limiting his understanding to suit what he wants to see.

Winter snowpack turns into raging Spring floods. Happens every year.

Pour 33 degree water on snow and snow is water. Raindrops are 33 degree and more. Running water doesn't turn into snow, and can be colder than ice. But it is water.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182061 Oct 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, I get very frustrated with people who are deliberately obtuse.
For you to claim that everyone in the world knew something is, quite literally, insane.
Even today, it is impossible for everyone in the world to have the same knowledge of a singular piece of news.
Barack Obama is President of the United States. Man walked on the moon. Princess Diana was killed in a tunnel in Paris. Apple makes computers. The Beatles made music….Everyone in the world knows these things, right? No. Believe it or not, there are people in the world who don't know these things. Who will never know these things. Who are born, will live and die without ever knowing things.
Therefore, when you say "everyone in the world know ANYTHING" you are either deliberately lying or extremely lacking in intelligence.
I think you make a good point if it were not for the vast numerical difference in today’s population versus the numbers in Noah’s day.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182062 Oct 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s it Dorothy, you just keep clicking your heals and wishing.
Why do fundies almost always misspell their insults, thereby making themselves look even more foolish?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182063 Oct 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS has a way of limiting his understanding to suit what he wants to see.
Winter snowpack turns into raging Spring floods. Happens every year.
Pour 33 degree water on snow and snow is water. Raindrops are 33 degree and more. Running water doesn't turn into snow, and can be colder than ice. But it is water.
I just can't believe the arguments these people make even about if snow is the same a water.[laughing]

Fennario

#182064 Oct 30, 2013
John K wrote:
My point is that anyone can ramble on about Noah's ark and sound like they are making a well reasoned description of events. But sprinkling actual facts into a fabricated story doesn't make it true. I personally am on the side of the ark story being folklore. But it is amazing how much everyone on both sides of the question will go on and on about nothing. It just seems like a bunch of mental masterbaition .
I know what you mean. Chinese sounds the same to me.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182065 Oct 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do fundies almost always misspell their insults, thereby making themselves look even more foolish?
Ahhhhhh good for you.

You get the, find the

“Christians little mistake award.”

And that’s not all, you also get A NEW CAR.

Come on down and drive it off the lot!

But wait there’s more! You get an all inclusive 7 day stay in Hawaii.

But wait still, you get to ride as the Christian speller error finder Atheist in the next Gay Pride Parade.

Hey, it’s your lucky day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 min Thinking 16,126
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 min Thinking 20,597
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 30 min Chimney1 40,650
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 55 min IB DaMann 3,762
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Thinking 24,076
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 3 hr Thinking 16
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 hr Thinking 4,669
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 4 hr thetruth 245
More from around the web