Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181755 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are enough water molecules on and in the earth to rise above Everest if it was dumped on the surface as "water".
Lie. There is not.
Dave Nelson wrote:
And don't forget the earth was smaller back then. We have been accumulating tons of matter per day from the sun alone.
Lie. It was not.

Why do you like in such easy to prove-a-lie way?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181756 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It has bee estimated that it would take 3.5 billion cubic MILES of EXTRA water to cover the planet to the extent that is portrayed in the bible. Where all this extra water came from and where it went is usually avoided by the Godbots. I do believe that Dave thinks the planet flew through a giant celestial rain cloud, of course that doesn't account for where all that water disappeared to.
He said the earth was ... smaller then.

Wait... what?

Apparently at some point, the earth was on a diet....?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181757 Oct 28, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Lungs would have burst from the atmospheric pressure increase with that much water added to our earth, Dave.
And even worse: that much water, falling that far, would have raised the earth's temperature enough to melt the surface...
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181758 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder who the fat man in the blue suit tooting the horn is.
Sorry, no conversations with the mentally challenged!!!

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181759 Oct 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't swing a 2 pound magnet with a string attached. lol
Wonder Dave.
It would be a strain nowadays, but in years past I could swing that 12 pounder up high and hold in a ton of shit wanting to come out at the same time.

Heaven was in the opposite direction of where I would have gone if I missed.

You should pull up a bucket with that hammer and a couple of impact wrenches they were used on, and a few other items 100 foot leaning over a rickety rusty guardrail on a rickety rusty catwalk with a handline all by yourself.

My son counted 17 hammers I had at one time.

Five pound hammer. Hah ha.

Come back when you are serious.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181760 Oct 28, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, isn't the answer obvious? I mean if one assumes there was an all-powerful God behind the curtain during the flood then clearly he could simply make all the water vanish. After all, being all-powerful lets you do that kind of stuff.
So... the "answer" is .. more magic?

Why not just magic the problem people away in the first place, and save all the fuss?

If bible-god is going to invoke magic--it would be easier to magic-up a nice fatal disease that **only** affects evil people (a magical disease you see) and within hours? All the bad people are dead.

And none of the baby ducks or baby kittens or baby puppies have to be drowned....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181761 Oct 28, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and one hell of a charismatic one at that. Imagine a fired-up charismatic Ronald Regan who also was warped in the head - that was Hitler.
That would be bad-- R.R. is one of the worst presidents we have had to suffer from in modern history.

He started the modern practice of trillion dollar debt spending with his "star wars" boondoggle....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181762 Oct 28, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if the every land mass has been under water at some time that doesn't mean it was at the same time.
Also, using parts of the bible to prove itself is inherently a bad idea.
Using the bible to prove anything-- anything at all?

Is a **really** bad idea--being as how it's just fiction.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181763 Oct 28, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, what exactly is your point?
Trolls have no point to make. LCN is just a common troll.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181764 Oct 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie. There is not.
<quoted text>
Lie. It was not.
Why do you like in such easy to prove-a-lie way?
Where has those tons of matter we collect everyday gone, Bob?

Anything that has been on the surface has picked up moisture. Minerals, whatever. Water molecules. It all gets recycled into the mantle. Especially that really wet stuff at the bottom of the ocean. Or do they squeegee it out first?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181765 Oct 28, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
You completely missed the point.
I am not saying I believe in anything.... but one is stupid to ask "If an all-powerful God flooded the world, where did the water go?" It is a stupid question because the obvious answer is "The same said all-powerful god made the water vanish without a trace."
I am pretty sure you essentially asked the 'what happened to the water' question....
The problem here? Is the "all powerful" bit.

An all powerful god would never need to stoop to such circus acts as a global flood--

--- the number of times magic has to be invoked, to make the flood story work is ludicrous.

What's worse? A truly all powerful deity could simply have commanded all the evil people to just drop dead already-- and with a second command?**poof** they disappear, no ugly dead bodies clogging up the scenery.

That's why the idea of an all powerful god does not work with the flood story.

At all-- the flood story? Is just a kludge, something a third-string "godling" might have come up with... during a hangover.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181766 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditch the 1940’s interpretation Doctor. This is 2013.
Genisis 7:
20.“Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.”
Now did it say the “tops” of the mountains were covered?
NO it doesn’t. That is your insinuation from the old days of the 1940’s.
That measurement is about 28 feet and the would be enough water to cover the base of the mountains in the area.
And mountainous areas can flood. Just ask the Coloradans.
Oh... my... how you **twist** the words and **bend** the meanings to try to force-fit an ugly and ludicrous bit of fiction into the light of modern knowledge.

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181767 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me here if I'm wrong but President Ronald Regan didn't have six million Jews murdered. He wasn't no where close to Hitler.
No-- what he did was, in some ways, worse-- his policies were directly responsible for tens of millions of folk starving to death instead....

And the US is **still** reeling under his giant debts for his failed "star wars" boondoggle.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181768 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the compliment soulless one.
*yawn*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181769 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Not by your standards. Will YOU repost your seven sins claiming God is guilty of them, another 20 times this month? I hope not to see your standards of being anti-religious.
*yawn*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181770 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual you are not even in the ball park. Jesus was a great person worthy of worship. The story is spectacular.
Boooooring lies by the lying liar christian-wannabe.

*yawn*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181771 Oct 28, 2013
Subliminal Criminal wrote:
Atheism does require faith like religion. Perhaps not as much but that depends on how much faith you have in science and how much has been scientifically discovered so far.
The difference?

Science is open for anyone who has the wits and desire to find out.

Religion? Depends on secrecy and keeping the faithful in the **dark**.

The light of knowledge and reason **always** destroys religion.

Always.

Why do you think they call the period when religion loses it's stranglehold on society, and science and reason is on the rise--the age of Enlightenment?

Hmmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181772 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What if it was covered in snow and the base was flooded?
That would mean your bible story is a big lie.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181773 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where has those tons of matter we collect everyday gone, Bob?
Are you seriously this stupid, or did you take special clinics where they removed most of your brains?

Seriously... you are so ignorant, one wonders how you manage to breathe with your eyes open-- your brain lacks the power to both remind you to breathe, and to see the world around you.

Effectively, you are blind? That explains much...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#181774 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Atmospheric pressure is the weight of all the gases in one square inch extending from the elevation being measured straight up until there is no more. All the gas gravity can get its hands on in that square inch column. Presently that is 14.7 pounds of gas at sea level.
If you rise 3-5 miles the pressure will be much less.
In current conditions, yeah.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Today's ocean is about .023 percent of the total earth mass. The average ocean depth presently is 2.65 miles. Even if you double that, and accounting for the increased circumference in doing so to raise the sea level to that 3-5 miles higher, you are not going to be adding enough mass to make that big a difference in any gravitational attraction to increase that air pressure. If I am wrong, please correct me and show the numbers.
It doesn't require numbers. If the circumference of the globe is increased - IE; biblical deluge to the tops of all mountains by - water - which cannot be easily compressed - while the atmosphere remains relatively constant in diameter. The pressure would increase based on an internal volume increase in a constant outer diameter, IOW, the density of the atmosphere would increase.

But, you pointed out that the atmosphere might *bleed* off into space.

If that were the case then the occupants of the "Ark" would likely have suffered hypoxia, since the available oxygen - would be less - in that decompressed and altitude "bleeding off" state. Even less once the "deluge subsided".

At any rate, there is no evidence for either of those scenarios in the geological column.

Additionally, had the water increased upon the face of the earth by a depth of 5± miles, any sea creature that inhabited a zone below 50 + ft in depth would have certainly been crushed or had starved during the duration of the "biblical deluge", due to the weight and additional depth of the oceans over all.

It's a myth, Dave. A primitive culture experienced a very large localized flood, they thought their deity did it and flooded "the world", but that didn't happen, the world didn't die and things went back to normal relatively soon(for that culture, it stayed normal for others that didn't have their deity "killing the world").

Or, you can keep hypothesizing about "stellar rain clouds" that crossed the path of earth and other such non-evidenced ideas for as long as you like.

I read some interesting info concerning this, well, some of it interesting, and some was on the crackpot fringe. Interesting because people actually believe that.

Do you buy into the "expanding" or "growing" earth theory?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Now, the increased moisture WILL increase that barometric pressure, but due to the way clouds work, it is not uniform. You have a large volume that condenses into drops, and that vacuum updraft thing I mentioned will influence that. A lot depends on just how that water became rain.
Yeah. The biblical myth mentions first that the deity made the waters come from under the earth as the primary source, with rain being a secondary source. So, I don't think that matters so much.
Dave Nelson wrote:
I am curious how you came up with that pressure bursting lungs thing. I took it to mean an increase in pressure. Maybe I misunderstood, and perhaps you could elucidate further and describe how such would be effected?
Yeah, I misspoke, I should have used "crushed" instead of burst.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 12 min RiccardoFire 9,229
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min dirtclod 17,931
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 42 min woodtick57 6,373
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr Redefined 4
News The Consequences of Atheism 6 hr thetruth 1,108
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 6 hr thetruth 14,494
News Is Religion Childish? (Sep '14) 9 hr thetruth 161
More from around the web