Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247380 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181766 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditch the 1940’s interpretation Doctor. This is 2013.
Genisis 7:
20.“Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.”
Now did it say the “tops” of the mountains were covered?
NO it doesn’t. That is your insinuation from the old days of the 1940’s.
That measurement is about 28 feet and the would be enough water to cover the base of the mountains in the area.
And mountainous areas can flood. Just ask the Coloradans.
Oh... my... how you **twist** the words and **bend** the meanings to try to force-fit an ugly and ludicrous bit of fiction into the light of modern knowledge.

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181767 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me here if I'm wrong but President Ronald Regan didn't have six million Jews murdered. He wasn't no where close to Hitler.
No-- what he did was, in some ways, worse-- his policies were directly responsible for tens of millions of folk starving to death instead....

And the US is **still** reeling under his giant debts for his failed "star wars" boondoggle.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181768 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the compliment soulless one.
*yawn*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181769 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Not by your standards. Will YOU repost your seven sins claiming God is guilty of them, another 20 times this month? I hope not to see your standards of being anti-religious.
*yawn*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181770 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual you are not even in the ball park. Jesus was a great person worthy of worship. The story is spectacular.
Boooooring lies by the lying liar christian-wannabe.

*yawn*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181771 Oct 28, 2013
Subliminal Criminal wrote:
Atheism does require faith like religion. Perhaps not as much but that depends on how much faith you have in science and how much has been scientifically discovered so far.
The difference?

Science is open for anyone who has the wits and desire to find out.

Religion? Depends on secrecy and keeping the faithful in the **dark**.

The light of knowledge and reason **always** destroys religion.

Always.

Why do you think they call the period when religion loses it's stranglehold on society, and science and reason is on the rise--the age of Enlightenment?

Hmmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181772 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What if it was covered in snow and the base was flooded?
That would mean your bible story is a big lie.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181773 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where has those tons of matter we collect everyday gone, Bob?
Are you seriously this stupid, or did you take special clinics where they removed most of your brains?

Seriously... you are so ignorant, one wonders how you manage to breathe with your eyes open-- your brain lacks the power to both remind you to breathe, and to see the world around you.

Effectively, you are blind? That explains much...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#181774 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Atmospheric pressure is the weight of all the gases in one square inch extending from the elevation being measured straight up until there is no more. All the gas gravity can get its hands on in that square inch column. Presently that is 14.7 pounds of gas at sea level.
If you rise 3-5 miles the pressure will be much less.
In current conditions, yeah.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Today's ocean is about .023 percent of the total earth mass. The average ocean depth presently is 2.65 miles. Even if you double that, and accounting for the increased circumference in doing so to raise the sea level to that 3-5 miles higher, you are not going to be adding enough mass to make that big a difference in any gravitational attraction to increase that air pressure. If I am wrong, please correct me and show the numbers.
It doesn't require numbers. If the circumference of the globe is increased - IE; biblical deluge to the tops of all mountains by - water - which cannot be easily compressed - while the atmosphere remains relatively constant in diameter. The pressure would increase based on an internal volume increase in a constant outer diameter, IOW, the density of the atmosphere would increase.

But, you pointed out that the atmosphere might *bleed* off into space.

If that were the case then the occupants of the "Ark" would likely have suffered hypoxia, since the available oxygen - would be less - in that decompressed and altitude "bleeding off" state. Even less once the "deluge subsided".

At any rate, there is no evidence for either of those scenarios in the geological column.

Additionally, had the water increased upon the face of the earth by a depth of 5± miles, any sea creature that inhabited a zone below 50 + ft in depth would have certainly been crushed or had starved during the duration of the "biblical deluge", due to the weight and additional depth of the oceans over all.

It's a myth, Dave. A primitive culture experienced a very large localized flood, they thought their deity did it and flooded "the world", but that didn't happen, the world didn't die and things went back to normal relatively soon(for that culture, it stayed normal for others that didn't have their deity "killing the world").

Or, you can keep hypothesizing about "stellar rain clouds" that crossed the path of earth and other such non-evidenced ideas for as long as you like.

I read some interesting info concerning this, well, some of it interesting, and some was on the crackpot fringe. Interesting because people actually believe that.

Do you buy into the "expanding" or "growing" earth theory?
Dave Nelson wrote:
Now, the increased moisture WILL increase that barometric pressure, but due to the way clouds work, it is not uniform. You have a large volume that condenses into drops, and that vacuum updraft thing I mentioned will influence that. A lot depends on just how that water became rain.
Yeah. The biblical myth mentions first that the deity made the waters come from under the earth as the primary source, with rain being a secondary source. So, I don't think that matters so much.
Dave Nelson wrote:
I am curious how you came up with that pressure bursting lungs thing. I took it to mean an increase in pressure. Maybe I misunderstood, and perhaps you could elucidate further and describe how such would be effected?
Yeah, I misspoke, I should have used "crushed" instead of burst.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181775 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously this stupid, or did you take special clinics where they removed most of your brains?
Seriously... you are so ignorant, one wonders how you manage to breathe with your eyes open-- your brain lacks the power to both remind you to breathe, and to see the world around you.
Effectively, you are blind? That explains much...
Does that mean you ate it, Bob?

Where did that matter go. Enlighten us.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181776 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
‘The nautical engineering firm Shearer and Associates wrote regarding the ark that it would have been structurally sound and would have had sufficient stability and buoyancy for the cargo carried.”
Naval architects at t KRISO (renamed MOERI in 2005) in Korea who studied Noah’s Ark in 1992 and declared the biblical specifications sound.
No such documentation for this Shearer and associates can be found. It is your responsibility to post such documentation, otherwise we will all know that you are lying. I told you, I went to the site, it was deleted. Most likely because any Marine engineer would realize how impossible an Ark as described in the bible is. So, find this article, and post it, or apologize for being a bold faced liar.

Exactly how does one "Study" Noah's Ark? There is no such vessel, nor has anyone ever found evidence of this mythical vessel, so how the hell does one "Study" that which does not exist?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#181777 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes... it really doesn't matter in the end, does it?
The 1960's civil rights did happen, and great strides towards equality were finally had.
Not complete-- not by any measure, but great strides-- so it really doesn't matter how the idea got rolling.
But secularism has been slowly eroding the bible's strangle-hold on "morality" since the beginning of the Enlightenment.
And a more fitting name for that bit of history I cannot imagine.
:)
It was Immanuel Kant who first used the term Enlightenment.

It was also called the Age of Reason, also a most fitting name.

Except for the lack of medical care or even toilets, it would have been a great time to be alive.

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#181778 Oct 28, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>In current conditions, yeah.
<quoted text>It doesn't require numbers. If the circumference of the globe is increased - IE; biblical deluge to the tops of all mountains by - water - which cannot be easily compressed - while the atmosphere remains relatively constant in diameter. The pressure would increase based on an internal volume increase in a constant outer diameter, IOW, the density of the atmosphere would increase.
But, you pointed out that the atmosphere might *bleed* off into space.
If that were the case then the occupants of the "Ark" would likely have suffered hypoxia, since the available oxygen - would be less - in that decompressed and altitude "bleeding off" state. Even less once the "deluge subsided".
At any rate, there is no evidence for either of those scenarios in the geological column.
Additionally, had the water increased upon the face of the earth by a depth of 5± miles, any sea creature that inhabited a zone below 50 + ft in depth would have certainly been crushed or had starved during the duration of the "biblical deluge", due to the weight and additional depth of the oceans over all.
It's a myth, Dave. A primitive culture experienced a very large localized flood, they thought their deity did it and flooded "the world", but that didn't happen, the world didn't die and things went back to normal relatively soon(for that culture, it stayed normal for others that didn't have their deity "killing the world").
Or, you can keep hypothesizing about "stellar rain clouds" that crossed the path of earth and other such non-evidenced ideas for as long as you like.
I read some interesting info concerning this, well, some of it interesting, and some was on the crackpot fringe. Interesting because people actually believe that.
Do you buy into the "expanding" or "growing" earth theory?
<quoted text> Yeah. The biblical myth mentions first that the deity made the waters come from under the earth as the primary source, with rain being a secondary source. So, I don't think that matters so much.
<quoted text>Yeah, I misspoke, I should have used "crushed" instead of burst.
I don't see that radical a change occurring. It is the gravity that causes the air pressure.

Expanding earth.

If the earth accreted as they say water vapor would be in the mix. Some as water molecules mixed with other materials. It would take a while for it to be squeezed out to the surface. You would have to get to a certain mass to get that kind of pressure. Hydrogen and oxygen accreted could also have been combined to make water during that period. A very complex mixing in that accretion method. Mass in motion, chemical and electrical actions. Of course you know I think it was assembled in another way.

But actually I see more of an orbital change or axial tilt and a whole lot of sloshing. The rain may have been caused as part of that process. It may just not have dumped that much water. Like I said, the survivors didn't have a real good view of events. They were bobbing around in a closed float. If that story is not a metaphor for another type of ark and survival event. We will never know.

But it does boil down to a destruction and reconstruction event. I have always felt man is much, much older than portrayed, and all of the stories, religious and scientific, are in error.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181779 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Does that mean you ate it, Bob?
Where did that matter go. Enlighten us.
\

The stupid of the above poster is so strong, it's actually painful to witness.

One wonders how this idiot is still alive... for it is certain the idiot Dave is too stupid to know how to feed himself...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181780 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No such documentation for this Shearer and associates can be found. It is your responsibility to post such documentation, otherwise we will all know that you are lying. I told you, I went to the site, it was deleted. Most likely because any Marine engineer would realize how impossible an Ark as described in the bible is. So, find this article, and post it, or apologize for being a bold faced liar.
Exactly how does one "Study" Noah's Ark? There is no such vessel, nor has anyone ever found evidence of this mythical vessel, so how the hell does one "Study" that which does not exist?
He's a bald-faced liar, for sure.

But he won't apologize for lying--- if he did?

He would have to apologize for every single post he has ever written...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181781 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was Immanuel Kant who first used the term Enlightenment.
It was also called the Age of Reason, also a most fitting name.
Except for the lack of medical care or even toilets, it would have been a great time to be alive.
Yes... that's right, I had forgotten. Thank you.

The god-besotted must have been frothing at their collective mouths as science and reason began to erode their power bases.

One thing that helped a lot? Movable type, which enabled cheap printing --- so cheap, that eventually the first **disposable** "books" were invented (news papers).

It was truly a game-changer for human achievement.

It appears the internet is a similar game-changer.

... and perhaps could be the final death knell for religion.

About damn time, too.

:)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#181782 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a strain nowadays, but in years past I could swing that 12 pounder up high and hold in a ton of shit wanting to come out at the same time.
Heaven was in the opposite direction of where I would have gone if I missed.
You should pull up a bucket with that hammer and a couple of impact wrenches they were used on, and a few other items 100 foot leaning over a rickety rusty guardrail on a rickety rusty catwalk with a handline all by yourself.
My son counted 17 hammers I had at one time.
Five pound hammer. Hah ha.
Come back when you are serious.
Lol, I guess it's true: "The older you get, the better you were!"

That, folks was another Dave's World fantasy a.k.a. looney toon ;0)
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181783 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
That would mean your bible story is a big lie.
H2O
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181784 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
So... the "answer" is .. more magic?
Why not just magic the problem people away in the first place, and save all the fuss?
If bible-god is going to invoke magic--it would be easier to magic-up a nice fatal disease that **only** affects evil people (a magical disease you see) and within hours? All the bad people are dead.
And none of the baby ducks or baby kittens or baby puppies have to be drowned....
Yea really, who would think wood would float?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181785 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you a hint.
Although I hesitate to reveal my identity on these threads, I'll give you the first four letters of my name.
Meth
You figure it out.
You don't need to do that and you need to keep your id a secret.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Silent Echo 12,636
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr thetruth 21
Proof of God for the Atheist 1 hr thetruth 116
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 12 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 13 hr -Stray Dog 47,794
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 15 hr par five 6
News Militant Atheists are On the March 16 hr thetruth 4
More from around the web