Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181563 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would just read the response you will see that I said that estimates can be made but who knows if they’re valid.
Robert Ballard has a Doctorate in a specialty science field. Let’s see, do I take the word of a Music Doctor or should I take the word of a profound Oceanographer?
Sorry Doctor, I have to believe a scientist and not a trumpeter.
So you are saying that the bible is wrong when it gives the date of Noah's flood? You're as much as saying the biblical time-line is invalid. Good for you for recognizing how untrustworthy your holy book is when it comes to any science matters.

Yes, you are right to believe what Dr. Ballard has found, the Black Sea Deluge, which undoubtedly flooded a huge portion of land. Now, did you see ANYWHERE were Dr Ballad mentioned a (WORLD-WIDE FLOOD?) Did he mention the earth flooded to the extent where entire mountain ranges were covered?

Do yourself a friggin favor and do just a little research on the subject, that way you won't look so fuckinstupid.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#181564 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So you are saying that the bible is wrong when it gives the date of Noah's flood? You're as much as saying the biblical time-line is invalid. Good for you for recognizing how untrustworthy your holy book is when it comes to any science matters.
Yes, you are right to believe what Dr. Ballard has found, the Black Sea Deluge, which undoubtedly flooded a huge portion of land. Now, did you see ANYWHERE were Dr Ballad mentioned a (WORLD-WIDE FLOOD?) Did he mention the earth flooded to the extent where entire mountain ranges were covered?
Do yourself a friggin favor and do just a little research on the subject, that way you won't look so fuckinstupid.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aniko_attila/256...

They need you.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181565 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Genealogy is listed in the Bible.
Particular missing are detailed years like you would expect on the top page of a newspaper. Probably because there were no newspapers in print at that time. Everything was chiseled onto a stone tablet.
And Doctor, stop calling people liars and cowards. It’s rude and unnecessary. I would expect a more gentleman’s communiqué from an educated man.
HOLY SHIT, are you kidding????? "There was no newsprint at the time EVERYTHING WAS CHISELED ONTO A STONE TABLET" Ouch, and ouch once again.

I have no problems calling my students stupid when they deserve it. And when someone is afraid to answer because the answer would be the same as admitting they were wrong, the that is called cowardly. You make an assertion, I refute that assertion with reason and logic, you MUST recognize the validity of my point, yet you either try and change the subject, or reject all reason and logic or any factual information. When someone rejects factual information then anyone is justified in calling that person stupid. When someone tries to deflect a question because it would expose their beliefs as nonsensical, that call being a coward. IT has nothing to do with being a gentleman, I have every right you assign you as being stupid and cowardly.

Here is a prime example of you being STUPID. Stupid is the same as being willfully ignorant, willfully ignorant because you failed to educate yourself on the topic at hand, and proceed to make a STUPID statement. "Everything was chiseled on stone tablets." Ever hear of PAPYRUS? Papyrus is what the Old Testament was written on. All Egyptian records and documents were written on papyrus. Before that VELLUM was used. Vellum (animal skins) and parchment. Pens were made from dry reeds cut to a point with a small slit at the end, or bird quills.

Now.........It is a PROVEN FACT that both the Egyptian empire and the Chinese empire were established and both flourishing at the time of the Noah's flood. Even using an approximate time frame off by as much as 500 years, it still puts both civilizations smack dab i the middle of a global flood that is supposed to have killed everyone on Earth. Why are the histories of both cultures UNBROKEN with no mention of a disaster of such epic proportions?

Did anyone from the Egyptian empire or the Chinese empire HEAR NOAH'S FOREWARNING OF A GLOBAL FLOOD?

Now don't be stupid or cowardly, just do your best to supply an intelligent answer. Thanks
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181566 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Shhh, don't pay attention to the crazy person, maybe he'll just go away.

Location hidden

#181567 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Shhh, don't pay attention to the crazy person, maybe he'll just go away.
I can just see the headlines in the Boston paper.

Page 1

"Internationally acclaimed music professor and jazz trumpeter cancels concert"

Page 1, 3 days later.

"Thousands of frozen starved squirrels found in city park"
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181568 Oct 27, 2013
who="Eagle 12"<quoted text>
<THIS FROM ABC NEWS>
Stop going to those Atheist sites. That crap is all made up.
According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path.
Fascinated by the idea, Ballard and his team decided to investigate.
"We went in there to look for the flood," he said. "Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed... The land that went under stayed under."
Four hundred feet below the surface, they unearthed an ancient shoreline, proof to Ballard that a catastrophic event did happen in the Black Sea. By carbon dating shells found along the shoreline, Ballard said he believes they have established a timeline for that catastrophic event, which he estimates happened around 5,000 BC. Some experts believe this was around the time when Noah's flood could have occurred.
"It probably was a bad day," Ballard said. "At some magic moment, it broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometers of land, went under."
The theory goes on to suggest that the story of this traumatic event, seared into the collective memory of the survivors, was passed down from generation to generation and eventually inspired the biblical account of Noah.
Now you are being BOTH stupid and cowardly. This is an except from an ABC NEWS report on Dr Ballad. So I take it you consider ABC NEWS to be an Atheist site? Shit like this is what makes you stupid.
If you're intelligent enough read the last paragraph. Now try and comprehend what it says about the biblical Noah account being inspired by a LOCAL disaster. A very large flood indeed, 150,000 kilometers of land, but a far cry from a Global flood that covered everything.
I'd feel so stupid now if I were you, and embarrassed to the point of not showing my face here ever again. But I just don't think you're smart enough to even realize how idiotic you sound. Pity

Location hidden

#181569 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path.
Fascinated by the idea, Ballard and his team decided to investigate.
"We went in there to look for the flood," he said. "Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed... The land that went under stayed under."
Four hundred feet below the surface, they unearthed an ancient shoreline, proof to Ballard that a catastrophic event did happen in the Black Sea. By carbon dating shells found along the shoreline, Ballard said he believes they have established a timeline for that catastrophic event, which he estimates happened around 5,000 BC. Some experts believe this was around the time when Noah's flood could have occurred.
"It probably was a bad day," Ballard said. "At some magic moment, it broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometers of land, went under."
The theory goes on to suggest that the story of this traumatic event, seared into the collective memory of the survivors, was passed down from generation to generation and eventually inspired the biblical account of Noah.
Now you are being BOTH stupid and cowardly. This is an except from an ABC NEWS report on Dr Ballad. So I take it you consider ABC NEWS to be an Atheist site? Shit like this is what makes you stupid.
If you're intelligent enough read the last paragraph. Now try and comprehend what it says about the biblical Noah account being inspired by a LOCAL disaster. A very large flood indeed, 150,000 kilometers of land, but a far cry from a Global flood that covered everything.
I'd feel so stupid now if I were you, and embarrassed to the point of not showing my face here ever again. But I just don't think you're smart enough to even realize how idiotic you sound. Pity
I posted these on another forum.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1769468/scientists...

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/su201105

A lotta water out there. Earth could have driven through a rainstorm.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181570 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. I don;t claim that the "rainboow" is caused by a deity. I claim that the rainbow is caused by natural laws and those natural laws I call "God". No magic Sky Daddy needed.
You become just as batshit crazy as anyone else who holds an unsupported belief simple because it "feels good" You pick something, then label it as God, no different from a rainbow, you just picked something else natural. To make your position even worse, you have no GOOD reason for your belief, it just makes you feel good, or in your case somehow superior to the average Theists. You think just because you don't model your God thing after the Christian God, that you are somehow on a higher plain of logic, your Not, an unsupported belief is just that, no matter why you care to call it.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181571 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I posted these on another forum.
http://www.fastcompany.com/1769468/scientists...
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/su201105
A lotta water out there. Earth could have driven through a rainstorm.
I don't accept information for a crazy person, sorry!!!

Location hidden

#181572 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You become just as batshit crazy as anyone else who holds an unsupported belief simple because it "feels good" You pick something, then label it as God, no different from a rainbow, you just picked something else natural. To make your position even worse, you have no GOOD reason for your belief, it just makes you feel good, or in your case somehow superior to the average Theists. You think just because you don't model your God thing after the Christian God, that you are somehow on a higher plain of logic, your Not, an unsupported belief is just that, no matter why you care to call it.

Goodnight, loony.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181573 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You become just as batshit crazy as anyone else who holds an unsupported belief simple because it "feels good" You pick something, then label it as God,....
So, you think the Laws that govern the Universe are bullshit just because I use a nonsense word for them ?

You are as stupid as any theist.

If I said I believed in a Grand Unified Theory of Relativity or String Theory you would be happier ?

It seems you are just as fixated on anthropomorphic deities as the theists.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181574 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jNHM4AL7LdUXX
Goodnight, loony.
Note that he is exactly what I was referring to when I said I see no difference between certain theists and atheists.

Egotism seems to be more important to them than rational discourse.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#181575 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why that was the only thing you could understand in that response I made.
4th grade now, huh?
Your ambiguous metaphors aren't "gotten," they are simply the products of your increasingly loose grasp of reality. You should check around the house for a gas leak.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#181577 Oct 27, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Your ambiguous metaphors aren't "gotten," they are simply the products of your increasingly loose grasp of reality. You should check around the house for a gas leak.
Dave went to bed.

He'll get back to you in the morning.

Unless there's a critical EM event of some sort, like if the forces reversed or something.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#181579 Oct 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave went to bed.
Unless there's a critical EM event of some sort, like if the forces reversed or something.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#181580 Oct 27, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =P_PVz8HrrCIXX
That's great, I don't know how you find these.

Radio waves are the longest, and Gamma waves are the shortest.

That's what I learned.

I just wonder what it is that makes people think up a song like that.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181581 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you think the Laws that govern the Universe are bullshit just because I use a nonsense word for them ?
You are as stupid as any theist.
If I said I believed in a Grand Unified Theory of Relativity or String Theory you would be happier ?
It seems you are just as fixated on anthropomorphic deities as the theists.
The laws that govern the universe are just that, there is no reason to attach a God thing to them. You may affix anything you like to naturalistic events and theories, by doing so you demonstrate the same mentality as Theists who affix a God to all things. Why are you any different in your unsupported beliefs? Like all Theists you have absolutely no evidence for what you believe. Attaching a label to the Laws that govern the universe, and calling this attachment your personal God, is just a feeble and childish as any other religious belief.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#181586 Oct 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave went to bed.
It'd be a real shame if dave missed something like that.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#181587 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great, I don't know how you find these.
Radio waves are the longest, and Gamma waves are the shortest.
That's what I learned.
I just wonder what it is that makes people think up a song like that.
Never underestimate me Catcher.

That never works.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181588 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Believe me I know there’s some good hearted Atheist out there. But here on topix we see the far extreme militant views. We are not talking here moderate Atheist but extremist. I don’t need to name them because all us regulars know who they are.
How can an atheist be extreme? By disbelieving too much? Impossible. One can only believe too much, not disbelieve too much. One can be an extreme believer - a fundamentalist fanatic, for example.

As for being militant, we're never militant. Militant is waging crusades and holy wars. Militant is burning men and women alive at the stake, impaling them in the Iron Maiden, or stretching them on the rack until they confess Jesus. Militant is bombing abortion clinics.

We just post on the Internet. If that makes you scream or bleed, it really speaks more to you than to any militance on our part.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Everything our nation stands for including the right to freedom of religion is under attack ... That said oath is to preserve and defend the constitution. It must be preserved at all cost. Too many have made the ultimate sacrifice for it to be destroyed. We must never let extremism alter our freedoms.
That's a good description of the Dominionists, the only religious group that is openly and belligerently in defiance of the Constitution.

The American Constitution is one of the crowning achievements of secular humanism. The principle features of American government include its secularity and its humanism - its defense of the rights of the common man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 min thetruth 23,255
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 min thetruth 2,609
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 min thetruth 168
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 11 min thetruth 14
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 1,454
God' existence 13 hr polymath257 84
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 18 hr Mikko 5
More from around the web