Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181458 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I am curious as to why you are such a coward, you are ALWAYS to cowardly to answer simple questions. Are you that embarrassed at your complete inability to answer a simple question?
I do realize that your a lazy ass, so I did your homework for you.
The time for Noah's supposed flood was 2348 BC. The Egyptian dynasties that ran from the Third Dynasty to the Sixth Dynasty, covered a time line of 2134-2686. As you can see, the great global flood happened right between the third and sixth dynasties. So, a simple question, but I guess my questions aren't that simple, Did the people of Egypt hear Noah's forewarning for the flood?
In China, Emperor Zhi ruled from 2255-2358, again the great flood took place during his last 10 years as Emperor. Same simple question. Did the people of China hear Noah's forewarning of the great world-wide flood?
Why is there NO mention in either Egyptian or Chinese records of this devastating flood that killed everyone in both countries?
What **I** find amazing about China?

Is that they had lovely written Chinese language **before** the flood, and then were "wiped out to the last man" by the flood.

And then? Magically? The sons of Noah that found their way **back** to China, mysteriously re-learned Chinese and re-invented the amazing written Chinese language--**exactly** as before!

That is so amazingly unlikely?

It is unbelievable...

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181459 Oct 27, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose if Bob had included magnets, <.·:*¨`*EM*¨`*:·.>, thingies and green vaporous death snakes in his post you'd approve of his writing and say they were "OK".
Dave, all insanity is original, but only yours is to you.
If a person declares everyone that they meet is insane or crazy?

What are the odds that it is the person making the declarations who is crazy, instead of everyone else?

:)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#181460 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You did admit that you skip over all my posts-- on more than one occasion.
But lying is your single unifying trait: you lie, pretty much with each post you write.
Typical of a True Believer™.
Post the message where I said that.

Your vision is blurred, along with your memory. You see what you want to see.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181461 Oct 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Better ethical philosophy, better political philosophy, and better natural philosophy.
Fortunately, the more reasonable among the faithful have been adopting the ethics of reason and compassion - secular ethics - for centuries. The invention and addition of the New Testament's gentle god to the ferocious god of the Old Testament was a great advance, as was the declaration (by Paul, but not by Jesus) that the old law was obsolete. Christians were no longer compelled not to suffer witches.
And secular advances have had a tremendous effect on Christianity since then as well, most notably in natural philosophy and political philosophy.
Many are calling their creation myth allegory, a triumph of secular science. And most apart from the Dominionists have embraced the modern, liberal, secular, democratic state despite the dictatorial biblical model for governance to the contrary, where their god in heaven, the divinely appointed king on earth, and the male the head of the household all hold power absolutely - not by taking votes nor counting hands.
Of course, many Christians want to imply that these are all Christian innovations. They frequently remind us many of the earliest scientists and the American founding fathers were believers as their religions were the source of their maverick thinking rather than their willingness to think freely.
It's all good.
Yes-- I do find it amusing that,**after** secular ideas eventually gain the higher ground (example: the US civil rights movement), then suddenly all the True Believers™(save a scant few hold-backs) were with it all along.

And they dig around for obscure "proof" to support this new-found enthusiasm for the secular ideas.

Obviously, at some point in the not too distant future?

100% of the bible will become allegorical.

And that is fine-- at that point, it will become just another legendary book to sit along side the ones claiming Santa Claus was "based" on a real person. <heh>

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181462 Oct 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
There is no atheist philosophy/religion.
All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.
Robert Stevens wrote:
Excuse me I had to sweep my jaw off the floor. You really need to stop posting here and start reading books. Atheism is born out of Philosophy. When the Greeks presented their Gods, Philosophers questioned the mythology.
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.

Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.

Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
Robert Stevens wrote:
If Atheist were to have a modern Bible it would be the writings of Friedrich Nietzche.
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.

The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181463 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Some are brainwashed into thinking they aren't brainwashed. Those with the most ego need are the easiest to target.
None find the truth until they leave here. Enjoy the fun and games in the meantime.
Agreed!

I am not an atheist and "believe in" Jesus, too. I just don't accept 90% of what modern Christianity tries to pass off as "The Word of God".

All Topix is for me is stimulation to continue seeking the truth.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181464 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
I think I know where you're going with that.
Christians frequently liken the man-god relationship to the adult-child relationship - what I call Christian infantilization. The model for existence in Christianity is the child's perspective, where there is the need for protection, supervision, and comforting characteristic of childhood.
The entire psychology of Christianity is geared toward the underdevelopment and subordination of the self. It perpetuates dependency, and esteems unknowing and docility. It's authoritarian, paternalistic, filled with superstition, ritual, mythology (stories), and magical thinking.
The Christian is told that he’s born bad and needs constant shepherding from a Heavenly Father figure, a cosmic baby sitter in the sky who is to be obeyed and not questioned.It encourages concrete and uncritical thought, obedience, fear of the boogie man, and a sense of being watched, judged, and punished by a father figure that is keeping account of our actions.
Is that close?
Consider this comment from Bishop John Spong: "The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up."
You are correct.

And?

When you factor in the "master/slave" relationship the bible pushes-- with god/jesus as the master, and the True Believer™ as the slave?

It's even worse-- they are told to just shut up and obey--regardless.

It is a ready formula for creating mindless followers, who willingly give up everything to feed the hungry coffers of the select few.

Sound familiar? And the top 1% are loving every unearned minute of it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181465 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The secular celebration makes far more sense than the Catholic Mass it usurped.
I just find no justification in the ancient Christian and Jewish texts for belief in the Nativity stories.
Me neither-- for one thing?

The classic tale of nativity, relies heavily on the silly notion of the Horoscope-- those three "wise" men? Would have cast a **horoscope** in order to "follow the star".

I find that not only silly, but hypocritical too-- for elsewhere in the bible, horoscopy is condemned.

It's a silly book.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181466 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Post the message where I said that.
LOL!

Why? It's much better to let you sink your own boat.

LOL!

The louder you protest? The more your credibility fails.

Location hidden

#181467 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed!
I am not an atheist and "believe in" Jesus, too. I just don't accept 90% of what modern Christianity tries to pass off as "The Word of God".
All Topix is for me is stimulation to continue seeking the truth.
That is a phenomenon going on since man started thinking beyond the immediate. Questioning the prevailing thought and truths taught to him by others.

Topix atheists got caught in nets in their search for the truth,and tossed into cages they can't see out of. They have become too reactive and not objective.

Plus they are dumb.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181468 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.
Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
<quoted text>
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.
The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.
I most closely identify with Epicurious, myself.

And more recently? The writings of Robert Heinlein and Iaasic Asimov.

Author C Clarke too.

For living persons of interest? I have to turn to Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson.

He tends to minimize the distinctions of atheist/agnostic, and instead, concentrates on areas where he's an expert: cosmology and physics.

He once stated that one of his life-goals, is to learn something new every day. He believes a person can go far with that-- and I think the example he sets, proves he's right.

Here's the whole quote:

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
&#8213; Neil deGrasse Tyson

Location hidden

#181469 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL!
Why? It's much better to let you sink your own boat.
LOL!
The louder you protest? The more your credibility fails.
You have the attributes of a traumatized woman trying to function in the world. A Ruby Red Dress, Delta Dawn, or one of those that just flits away with a "Ta Da!" when things get serious.

Deep internal confusion covered by a topical interface with others.

Location hidden

#181470 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Author C Clarke too.
He tends to minimize the distinctions of atheist/agnostic, and instead, concentrates on areas where he's an expert: cosmology and physics.
He once stated that one of his life-goals, is to learn something new every day. He believes a person can go far with that-- and I think the example he sets, proves he's right.
Here's the whole quote:
“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
Yes, you identify because you have nothing you created yourself.

You are afraid to venture into unknown territory. So you read about it and create a fantasy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181471 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the attributes of a traumatized woman trying to function in the world. A Ruby Red Dress, Delta Dawn, or one of those that just flits away with a "Ta Da!" when things get serious.
Deep internal confusion covered by a topical interface with others.
LOL!

Keep digging doofus. Keep digging.

You prove once more, that 100% of what you say, is a lie-- or it was intended to be a lie.

And that anytime you are not lying? That was purely by accident on your part.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181472 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you identify because you have nothing you created yourself.
You are afraid to venture into unknown territory. So you read about it and create a fantasy.
Oh!

I did not realize that you had mastered mental telepathy!

You are privy to my entire range of thoughts, hopes and dreams, now?

And you know everything I ever did in my whole life?

Wow!

You must think you are a **god** or something, to have such power...

...or?

You are just batshit insane.

Which is more likely?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181473 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Author C Clarke too.
Here's the whole quote:
My favorite Clarke quote.."One of two things is possible, either we are alone in the universe or we are not, either one is frightening."
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181474 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL!
Keep digging doofus. Keep digging.
You prove once more, that 100% of what you say, is a lie-- or it was intended to be a lie.
And that anytime you are not lying? That was purely by accident on your part.
You know how you can tell if Dave is NOT lying?.........His mouth is NOT moving.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#181475 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Me neither-- for one thing?
The classic tale of nativity, relies heavily on the silly notion of the Horoscope-- those three "wise" men? Would have cast a **horoscope** in order to "follow the star".
I find that not only silly, but hypocritical too-- for elsewhere in the bible, horoscopy is condemned.
It's a silly book.
1. The Virgin Birth/Nativity wa a story invented to convert Grecco-Roman pagans, nothing more.

2. The number of Magi is not mention anywhere in the Bible.

Yes, it is silly to believe anything in the Bible is other than stories told by men.

It is even sillier to believe anything "The Church" claims about those stories.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181476 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh!
I did not realize that you had mastered mental telepathy!
You are privy to my entire range of thoughts, hopes and dreams, now?
And you know everything I ever did in my whole life?
Wow!
You must think you are a **god** or something, to have such power...
...or?
You are just batshit insane.
Which is more likely?
I'll pick door number two.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#181477 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a phenomenon going on since man started thinking beyond the immediate. Questioning the prevailing thought and truths taught to him by others.
Topix atheists got caught in nets in their search for the truth,and tossed into cages they can't see out of. They have become too reactive and not objective.
Plus they are dumb.
I see little difference between the attitude of stead-fast atheists and devout theists.

Neither are looking for "Truth", they are just trying to rationalized what they already believe... even if it is proven to be wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 min Even Steven 877
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 46 min Morse 16
Siro is writing a new book 7 hr thetruth 5
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 9 hr P_Smith 1
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion 9 hr P_Smith 1
Reza Aslan: Sam Harris and "New Atheists" aren'... 12 hr P_Smith 1
The Rapture of the Atheists (Nov '09) 13 hr thetruth 7,110

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE