Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181591 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
What you are incapable of understanding is when that atheism is turned into action, such as organizations, demands, and screaming for attention, it becomes a religion just like the others.
That's an interesting description of what a religion is. You seem to have an even lower opinion of them than most of the unbelievers posting.

So what's NOT a religion to you?

How about Major League Baseball? They have organizations called ball teams, demands called rules, negotiations, and strikes, and they run their games and commercials on TV for attention. Are they a religion?

How about the Red Cross? They have organizations and run all kinds of events to get attention. Are they a religion? How about if I told you that they're into blood and use a cross as their logo?

Fennario

#181592 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Everyday is proof, you just fail to acknowledge it, given the reading comprehension of the atheist here, it is not a surprise.
Every day is proof of what? Nothing, except that we are alive on a planet that has days. The rest is speculation.

What does every day prove to you? That the universe has gods? One god? One god named Jesus?

Fennario

#181593 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
... you are the religious group that is in most lock step.
LCNLin wrote:
Most lock step in on topix
Yeah, most lock step. That's what we do - just repeat one another's words and affirm one another's posts in most lock step.

Fennario

#181594 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
All of those people didn't believe in the monotheistic God. The Supreme Creator. They were disposable. Just make more.
Humanism has different ethics.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Do be advised that those selected did carry the genes of that first couple.
What kind of a plan is that? Is it any wonder that we don't believe that that story has anything to do with an intelligent, loving god? It sounds exactly like the kind of flawed plan that brutal, primitive men would come up with, not the work of a god.
Dave Nelson wrote:
It is easier for your mental capabilities to just rant against some words you might not understand and apply that rant to the whole of existence and its causation.
I'm still rejecting that story.

Fennario

#181595 Oct 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
But. You cannot call it "christian nation" if you are AGAINST helping the poor, and AGAINST helping the sick. Jesus clearly commanded you to do that-- and the Affordable Care Act is exactly that: healing the sick that your Jesus told you to do. Since you churches have failed in that Grand Command, the government has had to step up instead.
Good post, Bob.

Where are the faithful while Obama is fighting the good fight? They seemto be siding with the wealthy enemies of public health care. One can talk all he wishes about love, but actions speak the loudest. We know what love is, and it is not that.

On a related noted, the Christians are pretty vocal these days about Obamacare violating Christian law:

"we should be praying for Christian businesses such as Hobby Lobby and Domino's Pizza, who are seeking legal protection from the demands of Obamacare. These are private businesses whose Christian owners refuse to obey a federal requirement that they believe violates God's law ... Hobby Lobby, for instance, faces $1.3 million per day for refusing to provide abortifacient contraceptives to its 13,000 employees."
http://www.christianity.com/christian-life/po...

The Christians seem to think that their religious rights are being infringed upon if they can't decide whether their employees' insurance will provide abortifacient contraceptives to those that want them.

I see that as yet another example of Christian exceptionalism - the idea that somehow Christian preferences should have priority, an idea rooted in a "self-goodness / other-badness" mindset.

Fennario

#181596 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
abortion as birth control method is just wrong

It almost exclusively Christians making that argument. Most of us are not Christians. You live in a pluralistic, democratic society. That means that individual values apply only to the individual, and only when lawful.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I’m a tax payer and a person that feels murdering a fetus just because they’re not wanted is wrong.
See above. Nobody will force you or those that you love to have an abortion or not have one against your will. Those are the rules of American society, and they we arrived at lawfully and democratically. People unwilling to respect them should consider other options apart from democracies.

Fennario

#181597 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
your focus is skewed and reasoning is a bit warped from it. You are cherry picking to fertilize those marvelous deep thoughts that someone planted in your head. You have advertised yourself as being of a group think. You have intellectualized your self into la la land. And the cult gotcha.
I aspire to your level of clear, independent thought unhindered by method or the thoughts of others.

Fennario

#181598 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Belief is an assumption. An assumption requires a faith.
Nope. Belief is partial knowledge, meaning that it is tentative. In an open mind, it is amenable to change pending new evidence.

When you assume that your belief is true and certain, then it is (religious) faith. Skeptics eschew such thinking. We consider it irrational and ineffective.

If you disagree, perhaps you can enumerate for us some of the fruits of faith, as this illegible poster (but still makes its point) tries to do:
http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/media/R-Scienc...

Fennario

#181599 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of a fly with one wing trying to take off. Just going around in circles in a hysterical fashion.
How are those electromagnetism speculations coming along for you? Have they been fruitful at long last?

Fennario

#181600 Oct 28, 2013
Yes-- I do find it amusing that,**after** secular ideas eventually gain the higher ground (example: the US civil rights movement), then suddenly all the True Believers™(save a scant few hold-backs) were with it all along. And they dig around for obscure "proof" to support this new-found enthusiasm for the secular ideas. Obviously, at some point in the not too distant future? 100% of the bible will become allegorical. And that is fine-- at that point, it will become just another legendary book to sit along side the ones claiming Santa Claus was "based" on a real person. <heh>
What could be more affirming than your disputant adopting your principles, even if he does claim that they were his fisrt?

Fennario

#181601 Oct 28, 2013
When you factor in the "master/slave" relationship the bible pushes-- with god/jesus as the master, and the True Believer™ as the slave? It's even worse-- they are told to just shut up and obey--regardless. It is a ready formula for creating mindless followers, who willingly give up everything to feed the hungry coffers of the select few. Sound familiar? And the top 1% are loving every unearned minute of it.
The master/slave thing is the biblical model for all authority: god over man, king over subject, husband over wife, parent over child, and man over the beasts.

If you "just shut up and obey--regardless," you forfeit your right to an authentic adulthood. Autonomy, freedom of the self, and self-actualization are humanist values, whereas submission is the highest Christian good. They disparagingly call our values pride, ego, rebellion, arrogance, selfishness, self-worship, lack of self-discipline and trying to avoid accountability.

Fennario

#181602 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
That is a phenomenon going on since man started thinking beyond the immediate. Questioning the prevailing thought and truths taught to him by others.
Actually, passive, faith-based acceptance came first, then skepticism. We're the newer movement.

“Humanity's first sin was faith. The first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben

Fennario

#181603 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Excellent post. It is no accident the percentage [of atheists] in a country with religious freedom is so low.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The fraction of people willing to use the word "atheist" to describe themselves is irrelevant. What matters is that the number willing to use the word Christian is headed below 50%. When all of people who don't have much interest in what Jesus thinks, whether they call themselves atheists, agnostics, skeptics, freethinkers, unbelievers, rationalists, the irreligious, pagan, Druid, New Ager, Wiccan, deists, or "none of the above" on religious affiliation surveys - when we collectively comprise over 50% of the total, Christians will be in the minority, and the Christian church will lose whatever remaining cultural hegemony it has over law, public policy, and dominant societal mores. What would it matter to us if the fraction calling itself "atheist" fell to zero if the fraction calling itself Christian is less than half?
Robert Stevens wrote:
... your babel has nothing to do with my statement.
Good rebuttal.
Robert Stevens wrote:
Your paraphrasing is just wacky, and goes off the complete statement. It is funny how all the online atheist 1) post with hidden locations and 2) have real bad comprehension skills. You actually make an art of bad comprehension skills. Politician like.
In the future, if you have trouble understanding how a reply relates to your post, just ask.

What is your legitimate interest in my location?
Robert Stevens wrote:
And you call it prejudice of me that I would never vote for an atheist, how rich.
You seem to have me confused with somebody else. All I've said about you is that you seem like a Christian to me.

Fennario

#181604 Oct 28, 2013
Just Think wrote:
There is no atheist philosophy/religion.
All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.
Robert Stevens wrote:
Excuse me I had to sweep my jaw off the floor. You really need to stop posting here and start reading books. Atheism is born out of Philosophy. When the Greeks presented their Gods, Philosophers questioned the mythology.
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Robert Stevens wrote:
Again with the trying to switch words around. I did not say it was a philosophy
I think you did with your jaw dropping comment. Maybe you would be better understood if your language was more explicit, and a little less dramatic and judgmental. I doubt that we care enough about what makes you slack jawed to want to guess.
Robert Stevens wrote:
I said it was built from philosophy and vice versa.
What does "vice versa" mean in this context? You said that atheism was built from philosophy. Were you intending to say that philosophy was built from atheism?
Robert Stevens wrote:
I really think you will have a job in room 101, assuming you read 1984.
Do you think it's appropriate for you to be editorializing about the people you converse with? Why don't you stick to discussing ideas rather than criticizing what you see as the deficiencies of their human sources.

Fennario

#181605 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.
I can assure you that I am not anti-atheist. Maybe I haven't been clear enough.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#181606 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Surely he meant anti-theist.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181607 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great, I don't know how you find these.
Radio waves are the longest, and Gamma waves are the shortest.
That's what I learned.
I just wonder what it is that makes people think up a song like that.
Did you notice how obnoxious some parts of that music were? The timing of the thumps?

Those are waves.

Waves are misleading as a description. When you see them represented those are visual math representations from the side view.

Pulses is a better description of them. Pulses that can rattle your teeth.

It is like looking at the waves coming into the beach from the side versus being in the water and getting smacked hard by one passing over you. In reality they all hit you. They also come in something called wave shapes. Those nice smooth undulating sine waves you normally see pictured are fairly rare in nature. The strength can change rapidly during a pulse. You can have a nice smooth rise that suddenly becomes a brick wall. You can have one hitting you like a brick wall. They take on all sorts of shapes from the side.

But those waves are actually pulses hitting you pretty much square on of varying strength and duration. However, unlike waves at a beach, EM waves also can go the other way. Your alternating current. You can call all mass in motion, like beach waves, direct current, with variations in mass moving forming the shape of the wave. The only exception would be something like that beach receding before a tsunami hits. That is because all that mass of water is tied together. Kind of the same in EM, but the paths are much more complex.

When you are standing at the beach watching the setting sun you are getting a tune played on your face. Most of the spectrum of light beating out individual waves. A rather large orchestra blasting out pulses of varying strength and duration that energize you and where you live. I hope a seagull shits on your head.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181608 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice how obnoxious some parts of that music were? The timing of the thumps?
Those are waves.
Waves are misleading as a description. When you see them represented those are visual math representations from the side view.
Pulses is a better description of them. Pulses that can rattle your teeth.
It is like looking at the waves coming into the beach from the side versus being in the water and getting smacked hard by one passing over you. In reality they all hit you. They also come in something called wave shapes. Those nice smooth undulating sine waves you normally see pictured are fairly rare in nature. The strength can change rapidly during a pulse. You can have a nice smooth rise that suddenly becomes a brick wall. You can have one hitting you like a brick wall. They take on all sorts of shapes from the side.
But those waves are actually pulses hitting you pretty much square on of varying strength and duration. However, unlike waves at a beach, EM waves also can go the other way. Your alternating current. You can call all mass in motion, like beach waves, direct current, with variations in mass moving forming the shape of the wave. The only exception would be something like that beach receding before a tsunami hits. That is because all that mass of water is tied together. Kind of the same in EM, but the paths are much more complex.
When you are standing at the beach watching the setting sun you are getting a tune played on your face. Most of the spectrum of light beating out individual waves. A rather large orchestra blasting out pulses of varying strength and duration that energize you and where you live. I hope a seagull shits on your head.
The "CWOB" returns.

CWOB = Creationist Wall Of Bullsh*t"

Just prove your god instead of trying to question science you don't understand or can't be bothered to study...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181609 Oct 28, 2013
All of your stupid unscientific paragraphs end with the conclusion goddiddit.

This is how weak and cowardly creationists with no proof of god behave everyday, embarrassing their cults online for all to see.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#181610 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.
Aura Mytha wrote:
Surely he meant anti-theist.
Perhaps.

Or maybe he was projecting his own anti-atheist sentiments onto me. He is unabashedly anti-atheist enough to take pleasure in repeatedly reminding that he considers us too dangerous to be in positions of power.

Either way, I am not anti-theist - just anti-theism, and then, only organized and politicized theism, not private religion. The theists are not my enemies, even those that call me theirs.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 44 min Eagle 12 - 1,419
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 1 hr Rose_NoHo 1,177
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr u196533dm 32,462
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 7 hr Ben Avraham 100
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
More from around the web