Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256016 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#181525 Oct 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The fraction of people willing to use the word "atheist" to describe themselves is irrelevant. What matters is that the number willing to use the word Christian is headed below 50%.
When all of people who don't have much interest in what Jesus thinks, whether they call themselves atheists, agnostics, skeptics, freethinkers, unbelievers, rationalists, the irreligious, pagan, Druid, New Ager, Wiccan, deists, or "none of the above" on religious affiliation surveys - when we collectively comprise over 50% of the total, Christians will be in the minority, and the Christian church will lose whatever remaining cultural hegemony it has over law, public policy, and dominant societal mores.
What would it matter to us if the fraction calling itself "atheist" fell to zero if the fraction calling itself Christian is less than half?
Incidentally, at the present rate of change, which has been accelerating, and is presently at about a 6% per annum growth rate, that should be by about 2029. I have already given you the raw ARIS and Pew data on this morning, and can supply the calculations on them if you're interested.
<quoted text>
Atheism is a religion, but not a true one? I see. We're a religion when that suits you, but not a true one when that suits you.
This is how one uses language to promote a subjective position as if it were objectively true.
Christians do it with their own as well, such as when they count everyone Christian who calls themselves a Christian while telling us how popular their religion is, then in the next breath, try to distance themselves from most of them and their abominable public records by telling us that they are not true Christians.
This is your second long post in a row, that your babel has nothing to do with my statement. In the first one you even switched my quote around, even after you posted it. Your paraphrasing is just wacky, and goes off the complete statement. It is funny how all the online atheist 1) post with hidden locations and 2) have real bad comprehension skills. You actually make an art of bad comprehension skills. Politician like. And you call it prejudice of me that I would never vote for an atheist, how rich.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#181526 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.
Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
<quoted text>
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.
The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.
Again with the trying to switch words around. I did not say it was a philosophy, I said it was built from philosophy and vice versa. I really think you will have a job in room 101, assuming you read 1984.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#181527 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.
Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
<quoted text>
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.
The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.
I would only call Stalin a monster. Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181528 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of those civilizations would have been descendants of the survivors of it?
Noah flood never happened-- China proves that perfectly:

It has an unbroken history completely through the alleged flood years.

If the flood had been real? Why did Noah's sons return to China, and re-learn ... Chinese? Including Chinese writing, which is nothing like Hebrew?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181529 Oct 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your second long post in a row,
Awwww.. the poor little godbot cannot read a long post?

Too much for your little godbot brains to comprehend?

LMAO!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181530 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text> More evidence that you are either a bold faced liar, or ignorant about what is contained in you bible. You say the bible says nothing about the time-line for this fictitious flood. Read the FIRST three words......."Using the BIBLE." Liar!!!
Using the Bible, well-documented historical events, and some math, we find that the Flood began approximately 4,359 years ago in the year 1656 AM or 2348 BC. Some may look for an exact date (i.e., month and day), but we are not given that sort of precision in Scrip
If you would just read the response you will see that I said that estimates can be made but who knows if they’re valid.

Robert Ballard has a Doctorate in a specialty science field. Let’s see, do I take the word of a Music Doctor or should I take the word of a profound Oceanographer?

Sorry Doctor, I have to believe a scientist and not a trumpeter.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181531 Oct 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would only call Stalin a monster. Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.
And here? You prove you cannot read-- at all.

It Ain't has been anti-religious for years on Topix.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181532 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of those civilizations would have been descendants of the survivors of it?
So...um...let me see if I've got this right.

Big flood, everyone dies except Noah and his family. Much inbreeding ensues.

Civilizations take hundreds, if not thousands, of years to come about - especially when you're talking multiple civilizations coming from, you know, one family on a boat.

But these civilizations "recorded" the flood...thousands of years later?

Where would you like to begin with what is wrong with this story?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181533 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for disproving you're Holy Book. Are you saying that nowhere in the Bible is a census mentioned? Think carefully now before you answer, remember I most likely know more about you're holy book than you.
Genealogy is listed in the Bible.

Particular missing are detailed years like you would expect on the top page of a newspaper. Probably because there were no newspapers in print at that time. Everything was chiseled onto a stone tablet.

And Doctor, stop calling people liars and cowards. It’s rude and unnecessary. I would expect a more gentleman’s communiqué from an educated man.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181534 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to help with the annual church Halloween party-- we would have all sorts of fun-- the best and most-loved by the kids, was an in-the-dark pillow fight.(we always provided the super-soft pillows, to avoid any "ringers" or too-hard pillows)
The kids always loved it-- just enough light to barely see... glow-in-the-dark stickers to mark the doors, in case anyone wanted to leave quickly. And plenty of adult monitors (who did not play but suffered pillow-hits instead) to keep anyone from being hurt.
In all they years I did that? Not one injury, nor a complaint--not by the kids anyway.
Alas, the "it's best for you" crowd eventually put a stop to it, as it "promoted violence"... WTF?
I despise "we know better" types-- they are **always** all up in everyone's business-- EXCEPT THEIR OWN.
Which pretty much describes religion in general...
Well that sounds like a lot of fun. I think I would seperate the girls from the boys because the boys hit harder.

We grew up playing dodge ball in school. I heard some schools have done away with it becuase of the violence. But man it was a lot of fun.

Yea, I would be all for pillow fights. That's a great idea I'm going to have to suggest to our youth Pastor.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181535 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed-- it is **exactly** like a tumor-- until it's born.
And then, if the mother survives, it's different.
Until the modern era? Roughly 1 in 3 mothers died with the first birth...
... which is why it took humans so very long to reach large populations.
You need to be on Doctor Phil.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181536 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Flood connection began with the publication in the late 1990s of the “Black Sea Deluge Hypothesis”, by geophysicist Walter Pitman and marine geologist William Ryan: the hypothesis that the Black Sea catastrophically flooded in about 5600 BC when the Aegean burst through a sill at the Bosporus, sending two hundred Niagaras-worth of water per day crashing through the gap for up to three hundred days. Ryan and Pitman went on to speculate that (a) the land thus flooded had previously been heavily populated,(b) the displaced survivors spread out across Europe, the Near East and even further afield, taking the Neolithic with them, and (c) folk memories of this catastrophe eventually morphed into the myth of the Great Noachian Flood.- See more at: http://www.skepticink.com/lateraltruth/2012/1...
Haha ha ha hey stupid, they're talking about the "Black Sea Deluge" NOT a GLOBAL flood. Notice the phrase "Morphed into the MYTH of the great Noachian flood.
Stop going to those Atheist sites. That crap is all made up.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181537 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would just read the response you will see that I said that estimates can be made but who knows if they’re valid.....
Just like the Bible!

Prove its valid.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181538 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Here is the definitive answer to you anti-women bigots:
You must get the consent of an organ donor to save lives.
So if we give a fetus the right to a pregnant woman's body, not only are we giving it more rights than a born person, WE ARE GIVING PREGNANT WOMEN LESS RIGHTS THAN A CORPSE.
I think you meant "Anti-Atheist Bigoted Women."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181539 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
It is easy to calculate how many people **had** to have been alive for that time-period.
How?
Easy-- the rate of growth of the total population is easy to calculate based on the human-created evidence left behind.
What is quite interesting about all that?
THERE IS NOT BOTTLE-NECK FOR WHEN YOUR SUPPOSED ARK HAPPENED.
There **should** be an 8-person bottle-neck-- but it simply is not there at all!
Hmmmmm... it appears your bible-writers **lied** to you.
Again.
Bob,

You live in Okalahoma where there’s plenty of horses.

I’d say that right there is a pile of horse sh*t.

But thank you anyways.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181540 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like the Bible!
Prove its valid.
I have for myself.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181541 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
... Everything was chiseled onto a stone tablet....
And we have the tablets from 6000 years ago that prove your Bible is a Hebrew fabrication.

You can read Cuneiform, right ?

https://www.google.com/search...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181542 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Noah's flood never happened-- if it had? There would be a readable DNA bottle-neck of just 8 people.
There is no such thing.
Ergo, the flood never took place as written.
If you had been there. You would have been washed out in the rinse cycle.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181543 Oct 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So...um...let me see if I've got this right.
Big flood, everyone dies except Noah and his family. Much inbreeding ensues.
Civilizations take hundreds, if not thousands, of years to come about - especially when you're talking multiple civilizations coming from, you know, one family on a boat.
But these civilizations "recorded" the flood...thousands of years later?
Where would you like to begin with what is wrong with this story?
LOL!

Magic?

LOL!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181544 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
And we have the tablets from 6000 years ago that prove your Bible is a Hebrew fabrication.
You can read Cuneiform, right ?
https://www.google.com/search...
A page full of tablets of someone’s grocery list?

You have watched way too many episodes of Fred Flintstone. Go find Barney and talk to him about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 5 min u196533dm 67
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min ChristineM 24,079
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 44 min It aint necessari... 16,143
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr IB DaMann 253
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr IB DaMann 40,669
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 2 hr Eagle 12 18
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr _Susan_ 20,601
More from around the web