Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258038 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181324 Oct 26, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...the only "unproven detail" that needs to be debated with an atheist is the existence of a god or gods.
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever worshipped actually existed.
All atheism is is the lack of a belief in deities.
If you want to shut an atheist up about atheism, prove that any god is real.
What you are incapable of understanding is when that atheism is turned into action, such as organizations, demands, and screaming for attention, it becomes a religion just like the others.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#181325 Oct 26, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your failed cult is so desperate to find followers, it spams atheism forums online.
When you can stop being cowardly and prove the god you choose to lie about, you will look a lot less foolish.
Your post is too funny, I see no need to request a gathering of the socially challenged people that are atheist that post here. I think most of them really can't walk out of their front door.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#181326 Oct 26, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...the only "unproven detail" that needs to be debated with an atheist is the existence of a god or gods.
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever worshipped actually existed.
All atheism is is the lack of a belief in deities.
If you want to shut an atheist up about atheism, prove that any god is real.
Everyday is proof, you just fail to acknowledge it, given the reading comprehension of the atheist here, it is not a surprise.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181327 Oct 26, 2013
<Eagle 12 wrote>

"God would have spared the Earth from the great flood had the people repented. But their were hard hearted and they were full of stubbornness."

What people? Everyone on the face of the planet? How about the Buddhists at the time, they believed with all their hearts that they were justified in their beliefs, same with another group of people who had a different belief. Did God appear to these people and personally tell them to repent?

When say say "The people" are you including people from Australia, New Zealand, South America, Egypt, China, Russia? Exactly what people are involved in your statement, "Had the people repented?"
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181328 Oct 26, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me I know there’s some good hearted Atheist out there. But here on topix we see the far extreme militant views. We are not talking here moderate Atheist but extremist. I don’t need to name them because all us regulars know who they are.
Everything our nation stands for including the right to freedom of religion is under attack. We have seen serious abuses in government powers such as the IRS targeting religious groups. Every law enforcement officer, military officer, judge, elected leader, in this country takes an oath.
That said oath is to preserve and defend the constitution. It must be preserved at all cost. Too many have made the ultimate sacrifice for it to be destroyed. We must never let extremism alter our freedoms.
As far as the IRS targeting religious groups, they absolutely should. Churches pay NO taxes, and anyone with a crazy idea can form a religion and escape paying taxes. I can declare that the fish gods from Neptune created the universe. I could form a church around that belief......mmm, let see, I'll call it The Neptunian Religion. Now, do you think I should be tax exempt?

BTW, I have just as much evidence that the Fish Gods from Neptune created the universe as you do for God doing the same, that evidence is...zero!!!
LCNLin

United States

#181329 Oct 26, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
If atheist had more debates about unproven details I might agree with you. Not only are you a religious group, you are the religious group that is in most lock step. Very often on these treads I have read atheist post. That is not a true atheist. You do know you do have a church?
Most lock step in on topix,
Normal atheists prove to be agnostics as per Richard Dawkins, the book salesman.
Dawkins makes a bundle of money off the atheist religion types
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181330 Oct 26, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyday is proof, you just fail to acknowledge it, given the reading comprehension of the atheist here, it is not a surprise.
Everyday is proof that God is real? Really? For you to say that, and to actually believe it, means you have no scientific background on how planets are formed. You are no different from the ancient goat herder's that looked up at the night sky and because they could not have possibly understood what they were seeing, attributed it to a mythical being. These people had NO other choice than to believe in a magical being that created the cosmos, they had NO science. You, on the other hand, have mountains of information available to you, specifically on how planets and stars are formed. You either can't read, are unable to comprehend what is written, or choice to remain ignorant. Being willfully ignorant is one of the worst traits a person can have. "Everyday is proof of God." What a childish and simplistic statement. You should be ashamed that you have not advanced beyond the mentality of ignorant goat herders.

Alamosa, CO

#181331 Oct 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<Eagle 12 wrote>
"God would have spared the Earth from the great flood had the people repented. But their were hard hearted and they were full of stubbornness."
What people? Everyone on the face of the planet? How about the Buddhists at the time, they believed with all their hearts that they were justified in their beliefs, same with another group of people who had a different belief. Did God appear to these people and personally tell them to repent?
When say say "The people" are you including people from Australia, New Zealand, South America, Egypt, China, Russia? Exactly what people are involved in your statement, "Had the people repented?"
All of those people didn't believe in the monotheistic God. The Supreme Creator. They were disposable. Just make more.

People is an encompassing term. You do realize that according to evolution and the Bible ALL OF THE PEOPLE sprang from two. So the term people covers a lot of territory. Out of all of that bunch a certain breed with certain traits, such as a belief in the Almighty instead of themselves as the master of the universe, were chosen to carry on, and even then reluctantly. Do be advised that those selected did carry the genes of that first couple. Now that couple did not have to exist at the same time. Even Adam and Eve were not born at the same time, and the story goes she originated from Adam's assemblage.

The whole damned herd was culled.

I know you are incapable of making connections, thinking in the abstract and metaphorically. It is easier for your mental capabilities to just rant against some words you might not understand and apply that rant to the whole of existence and its causation. The intellectual prowess you can bring to bear in understanding things is most impressive and remarkable.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181332 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are incapable of understanding is when that atheism is turned into action, such as organizations, demands, and screaming for attention, it becomes a religion just like the others.
Really?

Does that mean the NAACP is a religion? What about MADD? Unions? Professional organizations?

Those are all organizations. They make demands. They scream for attention.

Are they all religions?

No?

Again - all atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.

Just because you need the crutch of religion, doesn't mean everyone does..

Location hidden

#181333 Oct 26, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
If "everyday" was proof of a god's existence, you'd be able to prove a causal link between your particular god (versus all of the other gods ever worshipped) and you'd be able to have some sort of verifiable proof that your particular god was responsible for the day.

You don't. You never have.

If you did have proof, there would be no need for "faith."

Keep swinging, Mighty Casey.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181334 Oct 26, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything our nation stands for including the right to freedom of religion is under attack.
But. You cannot call it "christian nation" if you are AGAINST helping the poor, and AGAINST helping the sick.

Jesus clearly commanded you to do that-- and the Affordable Care Act is exactly that: healing the sick that your Jesus told you to do.

Since you churches have failed in that Grand Command, the government has had to step up instead.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181335 Oct 26, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Early on in my life I didn’t give it much thought. I guess you can say I was neutral on the issue. However an abortion was not something myself or my wife would ever be involved with.
Then? Don't have one.

You must get the consent of an organ donor to save lives.

So if we give a fetus the right to a pregnant woman's body, not only are we giving it more rights than a born person, we are giving pregnant women less rights than a corpse.

Alamosa, CO

#181336 Oct 26, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Does that mean the NAACP is a religion? What about MADD? Unions? Professional organizations?
Are they all religions?
No?
There isn't much difference between religion and ideologies. It's the focus of them.

You deny the existence of a deity in chorus with others, not by yourself.

Your mind is too simple for the subtleties of reality. Easy pickings for cults like neo-atheism.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181337 Oct 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I DO NOT support late term abortions, I do think it is wrong. But I think that a women has the ultimate decision as it is her body. I do agree with early abortions in the first or second trimeters, especially in rape cases and unwanted teen pregnancy. Some where there was to be consideration for the baby if it is going to be born with severe birth defects, and who's life my be full of pain or shorted considerably. I think early abortion is ok if the life of the women is in danger, or her health. And I agree that sex education, especially from parents, is an effective way of limiting abortions.
Now too your God. Why do you NOT have a problem with him murdering little babies and destroying unborn fetuses, many of them late term, and some on the verge of being born? I do know that you will dodge the question or resort to your other favorite tactic and thats deflecting the question by changing the subject. You're very good at this by the way.
Early-term abortions are easy to do, too-- elsewhere from the US?

There has been a nice pill that gets the job done, pronto-- no messy intrusive surgeries, none of that.

It's been in use for decades-- but not **here** due to the religious bigots who think **they** are **god** or something.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181338 Oct 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<Eagle 12 wrote>
He won't answer-- he will call you ugly names instead.
LCNLin

United States

#181339 Oct 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
But. You cannot call it "christian nation" if you are AGAINST helping the poor, and AGAINST helping the sick.
Jesus clearly commanded you to do that-- and the Affordable Care Act is exactly that: healing the sick that your Jesus told you to do.
Since you churches have failed in that Grand Command, the government has had to step up instead.
An
excellent Post!

Agree with Bob's support of the Affordable Care Act

Republican tea party types are not Christians, more Ayn Rand dupes

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181340 Oct 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>As far as the IRS targeting religious groups, they absolutely should. Churches pay NO taxes, and anyone with a crazy idea can form a religion and escape paying taxes. I can declare that the fish gods from Neptune created the universe. I could form a church around that belief......mmm, let see, I'll call it The Neptunian Religion. Now, do you think I should be tax exempt?
BTW, I have just as much evidence that the Fish Gods from Neptune created the universe as you do for God doing the same, that evidence is...zero!!!
Agreed-- churches should start paying taxes.

OR PROVE THEIR GOD IS REAL, to show they are not just LYING.

Either way works for me.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181341 Oct 26, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Are they all religions?
No?
Old Davy-boy is a uber-conservitive. So, likely he does believe the groups you mentioned are religious groups...

... his brain is damaged in that way.

Sad, isn't it?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181342 Oct 26, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
If "everyday" was proof of a god's existence, you'd be able to prove a causal link between your particular god (versus all of the other gods ever worshipped) and you'd be able to have some sort of verifiable proof that your particular god was responsible for the day.
You don't. You never have.
If you did have proof, there would be no need for "faith."
Keep swinging, Mighty Casey.
Poor Robert... his brain has no verifiable connection with any reality than anyone has observed.

It's kind of sad to witness, isn't it?

Location hidden

#181343 Oct 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't much difference between religion and ideologies. It's the focus of them.
You deny the existence of a deity in chorus with others, not by yourself.
Your mind is too simple for the subtleties of reality. Easy pickings for cults like neo-atheism.
LOL...in other words, no - there is no proof of your god's existence.

Thanks...we know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Regolith Based Li... 48,387
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... 13 hr Scaritual 14
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 17 hr Amused 4,906
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 17 hr Amused 21,861
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
News Delta Schools Will Get Satanic Coloring Books o... (Apr '16) Nov 29 Amused 7
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) Nov 28 hpcaban 441
More from around the web