Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#180985 Oct 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Worthless post, totally meaningless.
It has great worth.
It proves that his religion is only for the ignorant, insane and deceitful.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180986 Oct 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
It has great worth.
It proves that his religion is only for the ignorant, insane and deceitful.
Ah, simulated intellects.

Such a start to a brave new world.

Ain't science grand?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#180987 Oct 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't science grand?
Thanks proving that you are a clueless moron.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180988 Oct 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't science grand?
yes, REAL science is grande, but apparently a foreign language to you.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#180989 Oct 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yes, REAL science is grande, but apparently a foreign language to you.
It's not science, it's evolution which is clearly unintelligent
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180990 Oct 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are clueless.
Wildfires are a natural process that have been occurring long before humans existed.
Thank for continuing to prove you are a lying moron.
Have you Aussies ever heard of an ashtray?

Put the damn cigarettes out before you burn down your entire country.

Now you got those damn toads smoking cigs.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180991 Oct 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer I offer depends on who I am talking to and how they think.
[1] To an evidence based thinker - a rational skeptic - I offer reason and evidence.
Evidence tells us that the universe and the earth had a beginning. Reason tells us that because of that, life on earth must have had a beginning as well. Reason tells us that either life arose spontaneously and undesigned within that universe, or that life of some type that is older than the universe and outside of it is responsible.
If it is the former, then life either arose naturalistically on earth, or that it arose arose naturalistically elsewhere in the universe after which the earth was seeded with life from afar.
If it was the latter, we need to posit the existence of the supernatural - the extranatural, really. By that I mean some reality outside of our nature.
Reason and evidence both insist that the complex is derived from the simple. Occam's razor tells us that the most parsimonious explanation with sufficient explanatory power is the best one, and evidence has supported that.
The god hypothesis suffers at several levels. It is needlessly complex. If life can form from simple chemicals and their known properties, then invoking a god to do the job adds needless complexity. The god hypothesis would only go to the top of the list if we were sure that nature was not up to the task. There is a tremendous amount of evidence to suggest that it may well be.
Furthermore, the god itself would need to be much more complex than the natural life it is invoked to create, which itself requires an explanation. Positing the existence of something that complex having no beginning presents a problem greater than the one we are trying to answer. Reason tells us that such a thing could not have always existed if it were uncreated, but that it would have needed to form spontaneously and evolved in its extranatural realm.
Moreover, we would expect evidence of such a being to be abundant. After several centuries of examining the universe at all scales including the telescopic and the microscopic, we have found looks like it must have been designed - not the particles, atoms and molecules of the microscopic world, nor the nebula, moons, planets, stars, galaxies and clusters of galaxies of the cosmological world, nor the rocks, mountains, rivers, clouds and atmosphere comprising the scale of everyday experience.
Not only have we failed to find evidence of an extranatural, sentient, intelligent, purposive and potent agent, we keep finding that such a thing is not necessary to explain most of the rest of nature. Why should just this one aspect of this one scale - life on earth - be different? Insisting that it is before ruling out the possibility that it isn't is unjustified. It only becomes reasonable to invoke the supernatural if we find unmistakable evidence of it, or eliminate the possibility that naturalistic processes are up to the task. We have done neither.
Therefore, reason and evidence suggest that undirected naturalisitc process are the most likely explanation for the presence of life on earth, and that an uncreated, eternal, extranatural, infinitely complex supernatural intelligence is the least likely.
That's what I tell somebody whose thinking is evidence and reason based.
[2] To the faith based thinker, I say that since you can have faith in anything or its opposite, so pick whatever answer you like and believe it.
You believe in “Forrest Gump’s” theory of abogenesis.

“Sh*t Happens.”

Of course you are calling it a naturalistic event which is another way of saying “sh*t happens.”

I’m a little more scientific than that Doctor. I don’t believe large span bridges build themselves. The run of life on earth is far too complex to have just “happened.”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#180992 Oct 22, 2013
No it doesn't.

Alamosa, CO

#180993 Oct 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yes, REAL science is grande, but apparently a foreign language to you.
Hmmm..they need to tweak your spelling ability, or double check the digital dictionary they use.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180994 Oct 22, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I have actually never offered any explanation as to the origin to life on earth or the creation of the earth itself. I have never stated what I believe or know about the subject. But, hey, nice lie.
I don't need to prove how the earth began to not believe in elves, unicorns, pixies, leprechauns or - wait for it - deities.
All atheism is is the lack of a belief in deities.
That you are so uncomfortable with this concept says far more about you than it does about atheists.
I know you haven’t offered an explanation about how life started on the earth. There’s no scientific explanation except an old suitcase full of wild guesses.

Even in this very modern and advanced scientific age. Scientist don’t have anything but hunches, they call it theories.

Which points to the blind faith Atheist have. They don’t know how it happened but just accept it happened.

No scientific experiment has been able to create life from a sterile lifeless environment. Take Mars for example. We have those rovers crawling all over the place on the surface. No seashells, no bones, no plants, nothing but rocks and sand. We know it had water at one time. But no signs of life.

It’s lifeless and sterile. Life is far more complex than to have self created.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180995 Oct 22, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not science, it's evolution which is clearly unintelligent
To the uneducated and feeble mind I'm quite sure evolution,as well as any other science, is in fact, unintelligible. Blissfully ignorant is certainly no way to go through life. Evolution is a FACT, it is what 99.9% of ALL scientists worldwide accept as factual. Now if you think you have information that proves evolution to be false, get ready for world-wide fame and a Nobel Prize. Good luck!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180996 Oct 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
You constantly go out of your way to lie.
You prove your religion is that of pigs.
My are we sensitive today. Did I hurt your little bitty feelings?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180997 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in “Forrest Gump’s” theory of abogenesis.
“Sh*t Happens.”
Of course you are calling it a naturalistic event which is another way of saying “sh*t happens.”
I’m a little more scientific than that Doctor. I don’t believe large span bridges build themselves. The run of life on earth is far too complex to have just “happened.”
Yes, you are so much more scientific, you adopt the mythical being scooping up a pile of dirt and blowing on it to magically produce a fully formed male, theory. VERY scientific indeed. LOL

Alamosa, CO

#180998 Oct 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks proving that you are a clueless moron.
Hmmm...you need your grammar tweaked up.

Did they supply you with a location to send incident reports? You won't get better unless they do.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180999 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you haven’t offered an explanation about how life started on the earth. There’s no scientific explanation except an old suitcase full of wild guesses.
Even in this very modern and advanced scientific age. Scientist don’t have anything but hunches, they call it theories.
Which points to the blind faith Atheist have. They don’t know how it happened but just accept it happened.
No scientific experiment has been able to create life from a sterile lifeless environment. Take Mars for example. We have those rovers crawling all over the place on the surface. No seashells, no bones, no plants, nothing but rocks and sand. We know it had water at one time. But no signs of life.
It’s lifeless and sterile. Life is far more complex than to have self created.
Realizing, of course, that none of that has anything to do with not believing in deities.

You're trying to form a link where none exists.

Atheism is not a belief system about how life was created or how the world came to be.

Atheism is a lack of belief in deities - nothing more, nothing less.

This really isn't that complicated.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181000 Oct 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Doctor, why are you so angry all the time? It's like your spring is wound too tight.

Have you been pissed off your entire life?

Chill man, relax.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181001 Oct 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>To the uneducated and feeble mind I'm quite sure evolution,as well as any other science, is in fact, unintelligible. Blissfully ignorant is certainly no way to go through life. Evolution is a FACT, it is what 99.9% of ALL scientists worldwide accept as factual. Now if you think you have information that proves evolution to be false, get ready for world-wide fame and a Nobel Prize. Good luck!!!
I would go as far to say 100% of all scientist believe evolution is a fact. There’s no way to dispute it.

However not everyone embraces every aspect of evolution. Certain aspects yes others not so much.

Now if you are talking about the evolution of mankind. No one can deny that knowledge has been an evolutionary process for man.

But evolution of mankind as saying we mutated from apes. It takes a wild imagination, artist conceptions, and a hell of a lot of speculation.

According to evolution who came first? The male or female or did they just appear together?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181002 Oct 22, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Realizing, of course, that none of that has anything to do with not believing in deities.
You're trying to form a link where none exists.
Atheism is not a belief system about how life was created or how the world came to be.
Atheism is a lack of belief in deities - nothing more, nothing less.
This really isn't that complicated.
I know what atheism is about. I was raised with an Atheist father. And he was hard core Atheist.

I’m just telling you Atheism requires belief in what is not known. When we delve into the very beginning of all life. The trigger mechanism that started it all. The complexity of DNA and RNA strands to make advance life forms.

Atheist don’t know but accept that it happened. Creation of life from a sterile environment all by itself. It’s never been done by science. That should tell you that’s it’s not easy to do. Because it has never ever happened all on its own.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181003 Oct 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you are so much more scientific, you adopt the mythical being scooping up a pile of dirt and blowing on it to magically produce a fully formed male, theory. VERY scientific indeed. LOL
No mythical being Doctor. But a real engineer, designer and architect. All in one.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181004 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what atheism is about. I was raised with an Atheist father. And he was hard core Atheist.
I’m just telling you Atheism requires belief in what is not known. When we delve into the very beginning of all life. The trigger mechanism that started it all. The complexity of DNA and RNA strands to make advance life forms.
Atheist don’t know but accept that it happened. Creation of life from a sterile environment all by itself. It’s never been done by science. That should tell you that’s it’s not easy to do. Because it has never ever happened all on its own.
You've got me.

I secretly believe that a band of magic pixies who live on the back of a unicorn actually created the universe.

Again: all atheism is is the lack of a belief in deities.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min positronium 87,354
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Feb 17 superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web