Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
173,481 - 173,500 of 224,419 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
They do have lots of opinions. And you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are like as*holes. Everybody got one. Except those Atheist opinions stink just a little more than others. Lol…….
The remarkable aspect of the Topix atheist clone machine is the multi orifices it emits such stink from, and the quality of such. However, it does appear some orifices are larger than other judging from the volume.

Amazing machine.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Hi there wrote:
<quoted text>. Some people enjoy debate. Through debate they they can explore ideas and test psyche. The topics can vary...religion and God will always be a popular one. Shadow boxing? Not exactly...just a simple battle of wits between two humans.
I’m certainly one who enjoys the intriguing mind of Atheist. And the sport of the debate is challenging and rewarding. As far “shadow boxing,” goes. That would depend if your side is swinging at air.

If my opponents are right as they so claim. They’re shadow boxing at a imaginary figure. Now what boxer is going to spend all his time shadow boxing an imaginary figure? The answer is only those who believe that figure is real.

If that figure isn’t real then why the effort?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you really believe in god. If you really believed in god you wouldn't even bother commenting on these atheist threads.
See how ridiculous you sound?
Some things work in reverse like a car for example.

But driving in reverse won’t get you very far.

Just so you know, you’re not going anywhere. Try driving forward.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The remarkable aspect of the Topix atheist clone machine is the multi orifices it emits such stink from, and the quality of such. However, it does appear some orifices are larger than other judging from the volume.
Amazing machine.
Omg [laughing] And some of those orifiices are rather big!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some things work in reverse like a car for example.
But driving in reverse won’t get you very far.
Just so you know, you’re not going anywhere. Try driving forward.
Oh man, you're so stupid it hurts.

You know you CAN actually drive just as far in reverse as you can in forward...turn the car around and use your damn mirrors, genius.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

atheists are miserable wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excuse to continue with your burden-filled fight against what you really know is true, but yet too cowardly to admit. God does exists.
I value your ignorance. I try to steer completely in a different direction from the immoral life you live.
Your opinion is not fact, and I know you really know that's true, you are just too cowardly to admit it. You have no idea if god exists, you just hope that he does.

You value ignorance alright, but it's your own ;) It's also good that you attempt to steer clear of an immoral life... however you aren't showing very good morals at the moment so I find that hard to believe.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I equate you Doctor and all of you Atheist here on Topix as serious fighters.
If you don’t believe in God as you claim. Then you are shadow boxing.
Then what does shadow boxing accomplish? What victory can you claim swinging at shadows?
This is why I sincerely believe you think God is real. If he wasn’t real you wouldn’t waste your time swinging at a imaginary opponent.
Yes, I guess you could say I'm a serious fighter. I've shared my views on religion with you before, but you have either ignored them or have a short term memory.

I think religion is dangerous. I think it dangerous for many reasons none more than how divisive it is. Each religion with its own belief system shunning any other belief, and often willing to resort to violence to establish there's as the *right* God. This is why mankind has never enjoyed a period of time where cooperation and understanding can take place. Believing in anything with evidence is dangerous, it spawns all sorts of evil, from burning witches, to flying planes into buildings. Where young people strap bombs to themselves and kill innocent people. Where the young mother puts her 6 month old baby in the oven and turns the knob to 325 degrees, the exact temperature that GOD told here to set it in order to drive any demons that MIGHT be present out of her baby. A drastic example granted, but this is what happens when you believe in something without proof.

If I can make just one Theists stop for a moment and think about the absurdity of a belief without proof, to step back and examine the immorality of there holy book, to even for a moment consider the value of skepticism, reason and logic, then I have won one small fight.

I enjoy trying to figure out the mind of the Theists who accepts things without evidence, who even when faced with a demonic murdering child killer, and admitting such as you have, continues to not only see nothing wrong, but continue to worship this monster. I find this more than intriguing especially when it is a view shared by people with supposed intelligence.

I hope this clears up your contention that I post here because I secretly believe in God. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a dodge you just don't get it or see it. Over 90% of free minded people do. It's like you can't tie a tie and because that you claim it can't be done.
On the contrary... the example that you gave is a horrible comparison. Just because I don't feel the same power that you feel when you talk about your god doesn't mean that I don't understand how powerful it is to you. I just don't understand why it is so powerful to you because I see things differently. Logically I cannot look at the existence of a god and say that it is plausible. Now if someday someone find some sort of evidence for this then I would have no reason to deny that evidence.

However for you to berate me or anyone else because of their opinion on the matter is uncalled for.

It's obvious that if you are telling me that I cannot claim to be a hundred percent correct, and then you turn around and say that you are a hundred percent correct, there will be an argument to follow. You are true to what you believe and that is fine as long as you aren't harming anyone else in the process, and the same goes for me, but you cannot expect someone to have a good attitude when you are constantly talking about how stupid and ignorant and wrong they are. That goes for either side of the fence bud.

The only thing that I claim to you, is that there is no evidence found for a god right now, and that is why most atheists do not believe in a god. Why you or anyone has a problem with that I will never understand. The only thing that is ever asked is that religion stay out of politics, and society's code of conduct. People have a right to have their own religions, but that does not mean everyone should have to follow their rules from that religion as well.... You would not want laws passed under other religions I'm sure. I do not want someone voted into office based on their religious choices...I want them voted into office based on what their intentions are for everyone involved.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m certainly one who enjoys the intriguing mind of Atheist. And the sport of the debate is challenging and rewarding. As far “shadow boxing,” goes. That would depend if your side is swinging at air.
If my opponents are right as they so claim. They’re shadow boxing at a imaginary figure. Now what boxer is going to spend all his time shadow boxing an imaginary figure? The answer is only those who believe that figure is real.
If that figure isn’t real then why the effort?
It's simple really. We're waiting for you to prove your assertion that a god exists.

When do you suppose that will happen?

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You had no need to claim "no brains".
You demonstrate your lack with pretty much every thing you post ...
This coming from someone that does not acknowledge there is more than one religious faith. I do believe you have a brain, but your comprehension skills are very, very bad.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
If what you say were true? No atheist would ever be a successful ...**anything**...
... but that's clearly false:
Most actors are atheists.
Most musicians are atheists too.
Proving you are simply full of shyt as per your usual.
The world according to Little Red Bobbing Hood.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Hi there wrote:
<quoted text>. Some people enjoy debate. Through debate they they can explore ideas and test psyche. The topics can vary...religion and God will always be a popular one. Shadow boxing? Not exactly...just a simple battle of wits between two humans.
Oh you have got that all kinds of twisted around. The responses you get from Atheists are no different in tone than the ones you dish out. Religious people want to be correct. Atheists want to be correct. There is nothing wrong with that, but for you to say that you are 100% sure about anything is a lie. I don't mean for that to be as harsh sounding as it is, but it's true. If I told you that I knew for certain that there couldn't be a god, then I would be lying as well. I don't know for 100% surety that there couldn't be a god, but I do know for sure that science has discovered many things over many years now, and any evidence of a god has not been one of them. That being said I think it's more than fair for me to have the opinion that there is probably not a god.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot deny something that is not evident. All of nature is not my evidence of a god. Evolution is evidence of different species surviving. If you are not fully aware of what evolution is then I would be more than happy to share the information with you.
I know myself. I recognize things that are evident and factual. I do not recognize faith based gods. As an adult I understand more about the world around me, and I understand what faith is. I have faith in my family because they have shown themselves to always be there for me. I have faith in my husband because he has shown himself to always be there for me. I have faith in many things that I know exist because I have sensed (seen, smelled, tasted, touched,) them. However as an adult I cannot honestly have faith in something that is not available for any of those senses, nor does it feel it necessary to make itself known. I did not ask for your help in anything.
I am not debating what you are saying at all, it is your personal answer.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, I agree with you that God is the supreme engineer of all things.
That's not what I said-- I proved without a doubt, that your god is the exact opposite of "supreme engineer".

With examples of how to improve on the human heart's crap "design".

Which you ignored-- because I was correct.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Bob for admitting God is real. If he wasn't real you wouldn't try so hard. And we know you try really hard and we thank you.[Tipping Hat]
I try hard to fight evil wherever I see it.

And your god is supremely evil--

-- which is good, because your god is also not real.

Proof?

That I'm still here--breathing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well of course you’re right. Man was created in Gods image. We are like our heavenly Father in Engineering achievements. Thank you for pointing that out.
You got it backwards, there--

The hateful deity you worship?

Is a reflection of your own inner hate and jealousy.

What else, since you created your god in your image!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
His design works so well that “heart transplants” are still ongoing because nothing works like his design.
Nope-- I demolished the "design" of the human heart:

The human heart-- is an example of truly abysmal "design".
It is exposed to literally all the blood in the body, over the course of a few minutes.
Yet? It was "designed" with a kludge blood supply of it's own.
It **could** have had direct micro-channels leading from the main ventricle-- such that pressure (during a beat) would drive blood into the microchannels, and relaxation and the lower pressure drives the blood back out again. Such a system would be clog-proof.
Even better? Losing any single microchannel would have zero effect on the heart's health-- the nearby microchannels could easily take up the slack.
And just like that? I, a mere human, have demonstrated a SUPERIOR design than what we must endure.
PROOF that if your god was responsible?
HE IS AN IDIOT-- DUMBER THAN I AM.
(and I'm not an engineer)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as your illusions about God.
Well, since all gods are fake?

Then, BY DEFINITION, all ideas of god are illusion.

Good!

You **are** an atheist!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you didn’t but nice try.
Actually, I did-- for more than 40 years.

Same answer every time: deafening silence.

The SAME ANSWER you get, each and every time: silence.

What else, from a myth?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I equate you Doctor and all of you Atheist here on Topix as serious fighters.
If you don’t believe in God as you claim. Then you are shadow boxing.
Then what does shadow boxing accomplish? What victory can you claim swinging at shadows?
This is why I sincerely believe you think God is real. If he wasn’t real you wouldn’t waste your time swinging at a imaginary opponent.
I fight evil when and however I am able.

The ugly god you pretend to worship? Evil.

Yes-- ideas can be evil-- and your god is nothing more than an ugly, horrible IDEA.

So we must fight that evil idea-- to prevent it from doing MORE HARM that it already has.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What does "Atheism" mean? 6 min Patrick 22
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 4 hr Patrick 388
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 9 hr richardfs 6
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 19 hr Liam R 21
Talking some sense into you people... 22 hr Cujo 27
Our world came from nothing? Mon Carchar king 243
Introducing The Universal Religion Mon Patrick 734
•••
•••