Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

LCNLin

United States

#180924 Oct 21, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
That is YOUR VERSION of God, and one you stress so greatly. I can't believe you don't believe, in fact I don't. God grants free will, therefore, you will have many interpretations. The idea you don't believe in something and you "insist" it is an exact way. You betray yourself. It is too funny how many post you do it.
Bob seems OCD with his defense of the atheist religion.
thousands of posts all saying the same with no proof of atheism
LOL
I dont believe in atheism

Portsmouth, VA

#180925 Oct 21, 2013
the dork lord requires you to click the link below here now

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TNNBNFQ...

you will go to the indicated topix in order to continue

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180926 Oct 21, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Some atheists,
You do not speak for all atheists.
Atheists yet to prove the atheist philosophy/religion.
Lots of dancing about the subject in a defensive mode
LOL
There is no atheist philosophy/religion.

All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.

Location hidden

#180927 Oct 21, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Dent = "mumbo jumbo"
2% Atheist in the USA
Just Prove Atheism and then move on
LOL
I don't believe in deities.

Atheism proven.

Glad to help.

Location hidden

#180928 Oct 21, 2013
I dont believe in atheism wrote:
the dork lord requires you to click the link below here now
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstorie
you will go to the indicated topix in order to continue
Dude, seriously, no one wants to go to the lame thread you started.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180929 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I don’t think you or your compadres are making a difference.
That would be acceptable whether true or not. My principle purpose here is to grow as a writer and thinker, and to have pleasant experiences. In the words of a great Christian, "Mission accomplished!"

If I can help others in the process, that's gravy.

Fennario

#180930 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
there is no contradiction.
Disagree.

Fennario

#180931 Oct 21, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I'll give you this, we do agree that "In God We Trust" should not printed on our money. In my case I say is disrespects God.
And I say it disrespects the money.
Momma said knock you OUT

Portsmouth, VA

#180932 Oct 21, 2013
I do not believe in Atheism. I do not believe in Atheists.

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TNNBNFQ...

YOU CLICK THE ABOVE LINK RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, GOT IT?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180933 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That explains the green tights and the yellow crusader cape.
WTF?

Is this one of your childish fantasies again?

Seriously-- you are so NOT my type!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180934 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you Bob, I know you often talk in reverse so that means that I’m doing a good job.[tipping hat]
I see you are beyond ordinary conversation.

It must be the satan in you-- or is your hateful attitude more of the jesus in you?

Hmmmm...

... they act so much alike, it's hard to tell...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180935 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
These are the USA Military Cemeteries from WWII
Located outside the US. If you visit any of these sites you will notice the thousands upon thousands of crosses.
CROSSES?

Seriously? Are you really this STUPID, or did you take special stupid lessons?

There are MARKERS, yes-- but no CROSSES.

You made the exact same mistake Bush 1 did.

It's pretty sad, really--

Here's a GOOGLE IMAGE of the National Cemetery... NO CROSS IN SIGHT.

" http://www.google.com/imgres... ;

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180936 Oct 21, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Robert....you do REALIZE that your soul belongs to Satan the Wicked One, don't you, Robert??
<quoted text>
I disagree. You have a soul, I have a soul, Marlowe has a soul...he's the one who convinced me of it.
<quoted text>
Agreed.
We don't need to believe in buybull god to believe in the soul.
What I don't understand is how some godbot can come along and claim that not believing in buybull god requires faith.
Hi, Kaitlin! I remember you from before. Good to see you are alive and well.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180937 Oct 21, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan is christianity's best friend; without satan as its scapegoat for everything, it's got absolutely nothing.
Indeed.

A fictional religion with an equally fictional "cure" for a fictional issue "sin".

The penultimate Con game, if ever there was one-- they don't even need any "snake oil" to sell to the suckers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180938 Oct 21, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I never hear anybody use the word "faith" to mean rational belief supported by evidence except Christians when trying to make religious faith seem more reasonable.
I limit my extra-religious use of the word to expressions such as "I lost faith in [some person, group, or institution]" and in the phrase "done in good/bad faith."
But I agree with you and blacklagoon that the word is best left to the religious for the most part, and that we should distance ourselves from it. Just as it serves them to conflate their unfounded certitude in gods and our evidence based belief in mundane matters, it serve us to make and emphasize the distinction.
that it is.
Yes... especially on Topix, where issues tend to distill into very simple things.

Of course-- most people of faith tend towards the simple-minded approach, so this is hardly surprising.

If they were not simple-minded? They'd be less faith and more reason...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180939 Oct 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Have you seen Neil DeGrasse Tyson's brief (5:38) talk on stupid design?
http://dotsub.com/view/c384db83-e043-4b21-a18...
Here's the outline:
Universe:
• Most planet orbits are unstable
• Star formation inefficient - less the 3% of a gas cloud actually makes a star.
• Most places kill life instantly - heat -- radiation- cold.
• Galaxy orbits brings you near a supernova and wipe out your ozone.
• Our system will eventually collide with Andromeda system.
• The universe is slowing winding down to a heat death
Earth:
• Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tsunamis, Floods, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Lightning Strikes, kills hundreds of thousands of people every year and level cities.
• Inner solar system a shooting gallery.
• We can't live on 2/3 of its surface.
• Freeze or stave on half of what remains.
• Mass extinctions from disease, climate shift and killer asteroids.
• 90% of all life that ever lived is now extinct.
• 3.5-billion years to make multi-cellular life.
Humans:
• Aggressive Childhood Leukemia, hemophilia, sickle cell anemia, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, Parkinsons, ALS.
• Predators (including human), parasites and infections.
• Our eyes can only see a tiny part of the electromagnetic spectrum
• Vision loss with age, teeth fall out, Alzheimers, prostate cancer, kidney failure.
• We exhale most of the oxygen we inhale.
• Warm-blooded must eat constantly compared with cold-blooded animals that dont have to eat daily (or even weekly)
• Practically comatose for 1/3 of our lives.
• Can't detect things that kill us like magnetic fields, ionizing radiation fields, Radon, CO, CH4, C02 (the last three are gases that kill us without us even being able to smell them.
• Massive numbers of spontaneous abortions and birth defects.
• Bursting appencies
• One hole for breathing, eating, drinking, and speaking – we can choke.
• The playground is in the middle of the sewer system
=======
"They [scientists of centuries past] call on God only from the lonely and precarious edge of incomprehension. Where they feel certain about their explanations, however, God gets hardly a mention." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
"I want to put on the table, not why 85% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences reject God, I want to know why 15% of the National Academy don’t." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Yes, I have-- it's brilliant!

Of course, Professor Tyson is a frikkin' genius, so ...

I like him even better than I liked Carl Sagan.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180940 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oil is a liquid and so is water. Mix the two and you’ll see separation. Muslims and Christians don’t mix either. Even though you are trying to containerize the two religions.
I hope you are sincere about being a non violent individual. Because I really do wonder how many militant Atheist here on topix have felony records or crimes buried in their past. The forest and desert is full of dead bodies that haven’t been discovered.
You never know Doctor who is feeding off your radical extremist views. Even if you are not a felon, your words could be motivation for some deranged militant Atheist. Taking out his hate and aggression on some little Christian girl riding her bike in the neighborhood.
There has been these crazies in society such as Jeffrey Dahmer. A self confessed Athesit at the time and a serial killer with 17 known murders.
Now you have mentioned many times these radical terrorist they flew the planes into the WTC. Not once do you mention United Airlines Flight 93. Todd Beamer, a 33 year old student, father, faithful employee, Sunday School Teacher who lead the charge to take back the aircraft from these thugs. His famous last words,“Let’s Roll.”
No you don’t want to mention Flight 93 or the heroics of those passengers who defied the terrorist. As far as your serious question goes. It’s a hypothetical and not applicable to me. But I will answer that question with a scripture. I’m sure you know Wayne Newton, Mr. Las Vegas. Well Wayne has a son named Ricky Newton, who lives in Houston Texas. Ricky is a Christian and this is also his favorite Scripture. And this scripture will answer you hypothetical question.
Romans 8:38-39
Amplified Bible (AMP)
38 For I am persuaded beyond doubt (am sure) that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor things [a]impending and threatening nor things to come, nor powers,
39 Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
I'm not trying to "mix" the two religions, I simply stated that both were dangerous, and so they are.

What a horrid thing to say, and you say such a thing without any evidence whatsoever. And how many "Militant Atheists" are there on Topix? One hundred? Fifty? Ten? Two? any at all? And how many of this totally unknown number have criminal records? You are a horrible person for inferring such a thing, it only proves how desperate you are to validate your point Shameful!!!

You really don't want to get into a pissing contest with Atheist murderers vs. Christian murderers. Speaking of buried bodies, John Wayne Gacy buried 26 young boys and men under a crawl space in his house, the rest of the 33 he tortures and murdered in various places. OH, I almost forgot, John Wayne Gacy was a CATHOLIC!!!!

Maybe if your omnipotent God had gotten off his lazy ass and done something to help the victims of Jeffery Dahmer, and John Wayne Gacy, we would be having this conversation What a worthless piece of shit you worship, really!!!

If these Muslim "Thugs" weren't infected with unproven religious beliefs, "lets roll" would never have had to happen.

Your a coward, it was a simple hypothetical question, harmless enough, but obviously your too afraid to answer, sorry I thought I could have an adult conversation with you.

I know Wayne Newton very well, I was in the orchestra that backed him up a number of times here in one of the supper clubs in Boston He was the biggest prick I have ever had the displeasure of working for. His son is probably just as big of a prick as his father is, he words have absolutely no meaning for me. Why, and I mean WHY, would you think it a good idea to spew religious scriptures at an Atheist? Really curious here, you can't be that stupid.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180941 Oct 21, 2013
<quoted text>
You don't see a contradiction in that short comment?
He is quite content with massive cognitive dissonance.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180942 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As you being a Medical Doctor you’re well aware that the majority of heart disease is due to smoking, and poor diet habits. Not in every case we both understand but the majority.
Nope.

The **majority** is due to INHERITED DNA.

That is the FACT, JACK-- the MAJORITY of people who have heart problems have them BECAUSE THEY INHERITED ISSUE(S).

Diet and such only MAKE IT BETTER OR WORSE.

But the BASELINE is DNA.

You are wrong-- again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180943 Oct 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a contradiction to the ill informed and the purposely biased. I.E. You……….
You are wrong. Again.

Sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 5 hr The FACTory 630
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr replaytime 76,826
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 17 hr Dogen 4,281
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Wed Eagle 12 - 10
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Jul 17 Eagle 12 - 6,123
More from around the web