Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256612 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180802 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When a lawless predator makes a demand with a gun. That is force and potentially deadly force.
You have watched too many Dirty Harry movies.
Harry Callahan:“I know what you're thinking.'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question:'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?”
You fail. Again.

You did not even attempt to answer the question:

How, exactly, is it FREE?

You can either capitulate to the gunman, or DIE.

Either way, the gunman will win-- and he will as likely as not shoot you anyway, because of something you cannot control.

Is that still FREE?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180803 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don’t you ask him?
Your the one that wants to know.
I did.

The answer was the same as it ever was:

Deafening silence.

The EXACT SAME answer he gives to YOU, by the way.

(if you thought otherwise, you are deluding yourself)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180805 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
I agree with you, for much of the same reasons.

The word faith has been corrupted by the terminally ignorant (faithists).

It's best to avoid it altogether.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180806 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
Insane. You hit that one in one.

But, considering that all gods are the direct reflection of said god's worshipers and representatives?

It's to be expected that the gods would be at least as insane as their followers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180807 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.
The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.
But the hallucination itself is an illusion.
Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
Indeed hallucinations are illusions.

Just as all "experience" in gods are illusions.

Good!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180808 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no mechanical pump the size of your fist that can pump continiously for 85 years and pump over 50 million gallons of blood. I think that's some fine engineering.
Actually? You are wrong. There are several examples of marvelous engineering in the Human Sphere.

I'm so sorry you are too ignorant to have discovered these.

Off the top of my head? The Panama Canal Locks are one such.

Another bit of amazing human engineering is the water supply for New York City-- specifically the main valves that feed that city. Over a hundred years old. Still working.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180809 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no mechanical pump the size of your fist that can pump continiously for 85 years and pump over 50 million gallons of blood. I think that's some fine engineering.
The human heart-- is an example of truly abysmal "design".

It is exposed to literally all the blood in the body, over the course of a few minutes.

Yet? It was "designed" with a kludge blood supply of it's own.

It **could** have had direct micro-channels leading from the main ventricle-- such that pressure (during a beat) would drive blood into the microchannels, and relaxation and the lower pressure drives the blood back out again. Such a system would be clog-proof.

Even better? Losing any single microchannel would have zero effect on the heart's health-- the nearby microchannels could easily take up the slack.

And just like that? I, a mere human, have demonstrated a SUPERIOR design than what we must endure.

PROOF that if your god was responsible?

HE IS AN IDIOT-- DUMBER THAN I AM.

(and I'm not an engineer)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180810 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait-- it's even WORSE.

The lowly earthworm has 5 hearts... Five.

Such that, he can lose THREE and still do fine.

We "superior" humans have but ONE.

What's worse? IT WON'T EVEN REGENERATE.

In contrast to the lowly earthworm-- who's hearts WILL re-grow.

Why do humans have only the one heart? Why not two? Or five?

Why not have a distributed "heart" system, where micro pumps exist at every major junction of the circulatory system?

This would eliminate all sorts of issues-- and even better? These distributed pumps would automatically respond to local needs for more (or less) demand.

See?

Me-- a lowly human, can come up with SUPERIOR "DESIGN" THAN YOUR IDIOT GOD COULD.

Amazing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180811 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The one that is incredibly stupid is the one that f*cks that pump up by being an idiot by smoking, doing drugs and not watching their diet. So how many by-passes have you had Doctor?
But.

We lowly humans can come up with SUPERIOR design to what exists in nature.

With ease.

Your god?

Is at best, a low grade moron.

... and **so** reflective of his worshipers capabilities, I might add....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180812 Oct 20, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
A willingness to try what?????
Seriously brain-altering chemicals?

A major blow to the head? Repeatedly?

Or even more insidious: constant, and daily brain conditioning such that you begin to believe the lies...

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180813 Oct 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
A few you will enjoy ;). 1000's more.
I have a extensive collection of quotes.
"So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake... Religion is all bunk." ~Thomas Edison
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein
“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”~Steven Weinberg (physicist and Nobel Laureate)
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." ~Benjamin Franklin
"All religions bear traces of the fact that they arose during the intellectual immaturity of the human race – before it had learned the obligations to speak the truth. Not one of them makes it the duty of its God to be truthful and understandable in his communications." ~Freidrich Nietzsche
"I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." ~James Watson (Discoverer of DNA)
“The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind.”~Ayn Rand
"I turned to speak to God, about the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there." ~Robert Frost
For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream.
He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.
Flying out tomorrow Bob :(
Merry Christmas to you and family - hope to be back sometime in 2014.
Peace to you and yours.

Take care-- and try not to let the cattle-car (airplane) overstress you too much.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180814 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think you do believe he's real.
Witness the desperately wishful thoughts of the truly deluded.

Sad, really.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180815 Oct 20, 2013
Sometimes I feel sorry for these Topix atheists. They obviously have issues, and it isn't an abundance of intelligence. I get these guilt feelings from indoctrination of morality during my formative years. Religious training.

But then my inner beast realizes they really ain't worth shit, so what the hell. Have a little fun with them. I don't think any deity would mind. If it thought they were worth keeping, it would fix them.

I think god gives us a little room to play in while here.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180816 Oct 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait-- it's even WORSE.
The lowly earthworm has 5 hearts... Five.
Such that, he can lose THREE and still do fine.
We "superior" humans have but ONE.
What's worse? IT WON'T EVEN REGENERATE.
In contrast to the lowly earthworm-- who's hearts WILL re-grow.
Why do humans have only the one heart? Why not two? Or five?
Why not have a distributed "heart" system, where micro pumps exist at every major junction of the circulatory system?
This would eliminate all sorts of issues-- and even better? These distributed pumps would automatically respond to local needs for more (or less) demand.
See?
Me-- a lowly human, can come up with SUPERIOR "DESIGN" THAN YOUR IDIOT GOD COULD.
Amazing.
Oh yes, I agree with you that God is the supreme engineer of all things.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180817 Oct 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Sometimes I feel sorry for these Topix atheists. They obviously have issues, and it isn't an abundance of intelligence. I get these guilt feelings from indoctrination of morality during my formative years. Religious training.
But then my inner beast realizes they really ain't worth shit, so what the hell. Have a little fun with them. I don't think any deity would mind. If it thought they were worth keeping, it would fix them.
I think god gives us a little room to play in while here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =luobOzreRq4XX
They do have lots of opinions. And you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are like as*holes. Everybody got one. Except those Atheist opinions stink just a little more than others. Lol…….

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180818 Oct 20, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...a complete dodge of a, very politely (I might add), asked request for elaboration. I'm very happy that I woke up this morning too, but how would that be proof of your approved god?
Or are you completely ignoring the actual question and just making the statement that this is all of the proof that you need... not that it's actually proof, but it's all you need to have faith in your god?
It's not a dodge you just don't get it or see it. Over 90% of free minded people do. It's like you can't tie a tie and because that you claim it can't be done.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180819 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Witness the desperately wishful thoughts of the truly deluded.
Sad, really.
Thank you Bob for admitting God is real. If he wasn't real you wouldn't try so hard. And we know you try really hard and we thank you.[Tipping Hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180820 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Actually? You are wrong. There are several examples of marvelous engineering in the Human Sphere.
I'm so sorry you are too ignorant to have discovered these.
Off the top of my head? The Panama Canal Locks are one such.
Another bit of amazing human engineering is the water supply for New York City-- specifically the main valves that feed that city. Over a hundred years old. Still working.
Well of course you’re right. Man was created in Gods image. We are like our heavenly Father in Engineering achievements. Thank you for pointing that out.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180821 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
The human heart-- is an example of truly abysmal "design".
It is exposed to literally all the blood in the body, over the course of a few minutes.
Yet? It was "designed" with a kludge blood supply of it's own.
It **could** have had direct micro-channels leading from the main ventricle-- such that pressure (during a beat) would drive blood into the microchannels, and relaxation and the lower pressure drives the blood back out again. Such a system would be clog-proof.
Even better? Losing any single microchannel would have zero effect on the heart's health-- the nearby microchannels could easily take up the slack.
And just like that? I, a mere human, have demonstrated a SUPERIOR design than what we must endure.
PROOF that if your god was responsible?
HE IS AN IDIOT-- DUMBER THAN I AM.
(and I'm not an engineer)
His design works so well that “heart transplants” are still ongoing because nothing works like his design.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180822 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed hallucinations are illusions.
Just as all "experience" in gods are illusions.
Good!
Just as your illusions about God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 52 min thetruth 4,833
News Why I quit atheism 56 min thetruth 717
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 58 min thetruth 78
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 1 hr thetruth 805
Atheism is a mental illness 1 hr thetruth 18
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 hr thetruth 96
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr thetruth 10,082
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr thetruth 21,236
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Brian_G 18,676
A Universe from Nothing? 6 hr Insults Are Easier 602
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 7 hr Patrick 783
More from around the web