Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255503 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180681 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
There’s not a Texan anywhere who doesn’t love Oklahoma.
Now I **know** you are just lying.

I cannot count the number of times, when some hate-filled bigoted "I'm from TEXAS" azzhole considered anyone from Oklahoma was somehow worth less than a cow pie.

Seriously-- you would be the record **FIRST** person from Texas saying what you just said...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180682 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it hurts Bob, the truth does that.
Indeed-- it must hurt to recognize that your bible was out-sold by a CHILDREN'S BOOK.

Multiple-times over, too.

The facts don't lie.

But you, apparently, do.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180683 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob let's sit down and have some hot coffee.
Only so long as I get to make the coffee-- you can watch closely, if you like.(You might even learn some of the secrets to making really good coffee too)

But you Genuine Christians™ have a nasty habit of poisoning anyone you consider not in your "special" club.

So pardon me, if I don't trust you-- the history of your religion is long, and bloody.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180684 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a virgin in heaven would NOT be paradise for virgins!
Picture this - you live a perfect life your chaste, you die - you go to heaven a Muslim virgin woman only to be repeatedly raped over and over by martyrs awaiting their 72 biggies each!
Now all that's what I call a great faith!
I doubt Muslim women share the same enthusiasm.
Isn't religion great?
If this religious nonsense were true...
(A postcard to me, delivered by an angel from paradise would suffice as evidence)
I would convert to a Muslim, fly a jet into a mega televangelist church, destroy the infidels inside and gain my 72 virgins in paradise!
I would even go to a Christian orphanage and offer them a free 747 airplane ride!
Who knows when dabbling in superstition anything is possible. Those extra kiddies my gain me another 25 virgins!
Or do I sign up?
Lol
Kate Smurthwaite observed that there is not enough women on the planet, for every islamic suicide bomber to get an individual 72 each.

So, obviously, many of those 72 would be shared among the Faithful.

I suppose it would be similar to a Ski Cabin Time Share thing.

I wonder if they are magically transformed back into a virgin, when they go to their next Time Share?

... uggg.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180685 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well lets see. You're a grandfather, right? Have you ever looked back and wished you had been gay?

Contrary to what you may have heard, being homosexual isn't a choice, Eagle. It's not something I can change even if I wanted to. I'm happy the way I am.
One of the better side-effects of tossing out the Old Tyme Religion, is a realization that you no longer need to apologize...

... just because you were born (regardless of anything else).

To me? That is one of the most insidious teachings of Genuine Christianity™ which **literally** teaches that JUST BY BEING BORN?

We are somehow ... "sinful"...!!

What?
The?

EFF?

That's bullsh7t.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180686 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Being a virgin in heaven would NOT be paradise for virgins!”
“I doubt Muslim women share the same enthusiasm.
Isn't religion great?”
Maybe there’s going to be a flip flop and the men will be the virgins and the women will be the men. Payback?
According to your horrible book, it's forever--regardless.

Pass.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180687 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Upstanding world class citizens and staunch supporters of human rights. Of course Atheism was a part of their communist ideology. That’s why they were such human rights champions.
If that were true? Why did all of those mentioned, maintain some form of Official State Religion™?

Hmmm?

Kinda proves your lie for what it is, doesn't it?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180688 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I love women. They are by far the most beautiful thing ever made.
Stop.

Just... STOP already.

Your obvious misogyny is showing, bigot: you still think women are THINGS to OWN.

You disgust me.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180689 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You can do the same thing with any social club, or golf club, or marina. The Marina I belong to has the same advantages as your church minus the cruel and indifferent God thing at its center. We don't have to tell the children lies and brainwash them into thinking about mythical beings and magical places. We don't even scare them into sleepless nights with visions of people writhing in agony.
There is NO advantage that going to church has over any other form of social club or gathering, NO advantage at all. There is NOTHING the Thesis can do that can't be done in a purely secular setting.
Churches are more inclusive than country clubs. Cheaper, too. They even let poor people in.

More representative of the community.

No wonder you don't like them. They let the riffraff in. Just not the social scene you groove in. The riffraff are to be led by you and your fellows.

Damn that Jesus giving the less worthy ideas they are YOUR equals.

Buckethead isn't that way. But then, he has real talent and not social connections.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180690 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Freedom is about having a choice. Without it one is not free.
Scenario: you are in your favorite quick-shop for a cold one.

And a thief barges into the store, demanding everyone's money--

-- he has an Uzi machine gun, and demonstrates how well he can control it, with a very short burst to the cameras.

Now-- you have a **choice**:

You can either capitulate to his demands, or DIE (and he gets your money anyway).

ARE YOU STILL FREE?

Is that **really** a choice?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180691 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Krispy Kreme Kristians?
Was the HOT light on?
According to the Ugly Bible™, god **delights** at the smell of burning flesh.

(is the phrase "ugly bible" redundant?)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180692 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have no soul, of course you don't understand that.
If you have no brains, of course you cannot explain that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180693 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Why are you reacting to words from long ago the way you do?
Why not?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180694 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I love women. They are by far the most beautiful thing ever made.
I don’t think society will ever fully understand homosexuality. Mainly because any research that’s done is always going to be biased. But based on my personal observations I know some are apt to be born that way.
But I also believe more than two thirds are that way because of social environmental factors. I had a friend of the family that was the only male in his family. His mother divorced his father and she had the children. He was raised with his mother and three sisters. He grew up gay and was one of the first to die of full blown AIDS.
I believe it would have been different if he had been raised with his Father.
I can only speak for myself with certainty but it's my opinion that if you're homosexual you are always homosexual. I don't think it makes any difference who you were raised by. Some homosexuals may be confused about their sexuality and some may deny their sexuality for various reasons but they're still homosexual.

Keep in mind that the actual act of sex is only a small part of being a homosexual just as it is with heterosexuals. Don't base your judgements on silly television caricatures or the radical fringe element that you see in the news. Those are not the norm. We're really no different than you are with the one exception that we bond with people of the same gender as us.

Fennario

#180695 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I would read that as when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Blend in.
You're probably correct.

Hey, Dave. Howdy do.

Fennario

#180696 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
Try Google on Dutch. ;)
Religie is niets meer dan organiseren bijgeloof!
Religion is nothing more than organized superstition!

Fennario

#180697 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Haz lo que vieras: Do what you see (others doing).
When in Rome....
Thanks. Please keep them coming. Every little bit helps.

Fennario

#180698 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
You can't put thoughts in my head, as much as you try.
You seem proud of that.

You can't keep thoughts out of my head, as much as you try.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180699 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are more inclusive than country clubs. Cheaper, too. They even let poor people in.
More representative of the community.
No wonder you don't like them. They let the riffraff in. Just not the social scene you groove in. The riffraff are to be led by you and your fellows.
Damn that Jesus giving the less worthy ideas they are YOUR equals.
Buckethead isn't that way. But then, he has real talent and not social connections.
Buckethead? That hack?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180700 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you. I do have solid proof of God you just refuse to recognize it. As I refuse to recognize your stories of a God that is not perfect. You are confused because your made up God that is not perfect has no proof. Why would you wish to promote a culture of people that can't be inspired, and have no souls? It is no wonder the Japanese use to beat The Chinese like red headed step children, and although Russia took Finland the Finnish killed 10+ to 1 Russians. The art scene of these sinkholes. I am sure a soul may occasionally be inspired to create, but overall those places suck.
I find it equally frustrating that you seem to have me confused with someone else. I do not have stories about any gods. Those have already been written, and I do not intend to create any new ones.

I don't know about other peoples personal inspiration, but I do not need a "god" to be inspired by many different things on this earth. I really don't know what the other countries had to do with this conversation so I will not comment on them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min renee 34,618
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Uncle Sam 14,891
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 3 hr ATHEOI 110
News Millionaire Entrepreneur Wants to 'Make Atheism... 4 hr Lawrence Wolf 396
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 hr ChristineM 20,053
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 12 hr emperorjohn 4,468
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 12 hr emperorjohn 168
More from around the web