Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180701 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you. I do have solid proof of God you just refuse to recognize it. As I refuse to recognize your stories of a God that is not perfect. You are confused because your made up God that is not perfect has no proof. Why would you wish to promote a culture of people that can't be inspired, and have no souls? It is no wonder the Japanese use to beat The Chinese like red headed step children, and although Russia took Finland the Finnish killed 10+ to 1 Russians. The art scene of these sinkholes. I am sure a soul may occasionally be inspired to create, but overall those places suck.
You have not stated any solid proof for a god. If you had and it was actual proof then I would have no reason to disagree with it. However I do not ask for proof from you, because if you had it I know that you would be more than happy to share it with the rest of the world without question.

Location hidden

#180702 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
There lies your problem, if you admitted you did need faith, THEN you could move on, and question those that claim they do not require faith. All these post are off topic. The truth is do to Atheist poor comprehension skills every single message tread any where, with any title has to be changed into "Intelligent design" and even then you turn it into strictly Christian Fundamentalist vs Atheist non believers/Fundamentalist. It makes me wonder if poor comprehension to a level of not recognizing you have a soul, is part of your religion.
You are actually impossible to have a conversation with because you refuse to see past your own opinion... that is your choice and do what you feel, but I have no reason to admit a need for faith, when I do not have a need for faith. I have faith in everything that I need to have faith in, and those things that I do have faith in are very well visible without a question for evidence. You need a faith in god. I do not. I do not have a religion. I know you would like for me to, but I do not.

Location hidden

#180703 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would feel the same way about you, but I think an atheist society sucks so much, you'd have tears and beg to come back here. It would be worse than burning in hell.
And that is your opinion hun.... like I said...your loss.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180704 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only speak for myself with certainty but it's my opinion that if you're homosexual you are always homosexual. I don't think it makes any difference who you were raised by. Some homosexuals may be confused about their sexuality and some may deny their sexuality for various reasons but they're still homosexual.
Keep in mind that the actual act of sex is only a small part of being a homosexual just as it is with heterosexuals. Don't base your judgements on silly television caricatures or the radical fringe element that you see in the news. Those are not the norm. We're really no different than you are with the one exception that we bond with people of the same gender as us.
What you say is essentially true, in today's world it is about bonding more than sex. Society is too complex and people have been dehumanized too much. It is not about surviving now, but existing in a niche. But it is those fringe and militant gays that are going to eventually queer the deal for social acceptance. They are the face, and they lack self control.

Alamosa, CO

#180705 Oct 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're probably correct.
Hey, Dave. Howdy do.
I was, as usual. Catcher confirmed it.

Peace unto you IANS.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180706 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>
You seem proud of that.
You can't keep thoughts out of my head, as much as you try.
I am proud of it, and I don't want to have anything to do with your head. I have all ready posted here, you are correct about yourself. You do know yourself.

Alamosa, CO

#180707 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Why not?
It stunts your growth.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180708 Oct 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have no brains, of course you cannot explain that.
I never claimed to have no brain, you on the other hand admit to having no soul.

Location hidden

#180709 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"NO WAR HAS EVER BEEN STARTED OVER AN ATHEIST IDEOLOGY."
Marx, Lenin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot
I've read on Pol Pot, and I will just name him specifically right now, he was a communist and Theravada Buddhist.... Not an atheist. However, even if he were an atheist...Why would it be Atheism that would cause him to be a mad man?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180710 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it equally frustrating that you seem to have me confused with someone else. I do not have stories about any gods. Those have already been written, and I do not intend to create any new ones.
I don't know about other peoples personal inspiration, but I do not need a "god" to be inspired by many different things on this earth. I really don't know what the other countries had to do with this conversation so I will not comment on them.
Inspiration comes from the soul, you could feel the yearning. Atheist can not do that. I would not expect much from them. As I previously stated, if atheism is part of human evolution, nature wants us gone.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180711 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not stated any solid proof for a god. If you had and it was actual proof then I would have no reason to disagree with it. However I do not ask for proof from you, because if you had it I know that you would be more than happy to share it with the rest of the world without question.
It is there you just don't recognize it. The first Dalai Lama simply pointed to a rose. I can't help you. All of nature including evolution is your evidence. You either don't recognize it or for some silly reason deny it.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180712 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You are actually impossible to have a conversation with because you refuse to see past your own opinion... that is your choice and do what you feel, but I have no reason to admit a need for faith, when I do not have a need for faith. I have faith in everything that I need to have faith in, and those things that I do have faith in are very well visible without a question for evidence. You need a faith in god. I do not. I do not have a religion. I know you would like for me to, but I do not.
Sure, and there is also no reason to be against other's religion. Are you starting to see things my way. America does not need a group of people against other groups of people. It is too funny atheist hold it against me I won't vote for them. Their complete existence is to call others liars. You want to have the truth, and at the same time not be able to prove THE TRUTH, and then declare there is no room for anything besides the truth. You guys are impossible. The true overall goal of your sort is max security. First religious police, followed by higher authority thought police. In the end a government with an iron fist, with you saying the ends is worth it. no thank you, say I. And honestly as thoughts, your beliefs are not good either. It is no wonder the average atheist is a forced atheist, but you count those that just don't believe in God. You do know that is not really the same thing.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180713 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is your opinion hun.... like I said...your loss.
If I agreed with that I would migrate. You choose to stay in America. Wise move.

Location hidden

#180714 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why over 200 million of their people died under their broken communist ideology that embraced Atheism. Many of those millions were murdered. So if you can't beat them, kill them. And that's what they did.
Freedom is about having a choice. Without it one is not free.
Atheism had nothing to do with it.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180715 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What you say is essentially true, in today's world it is about bonding more than sex. Society is too complex and people have been dehumanized too much. It is not about surviving now, but existing in a niche. But it is those fringe and militant gays that are going to eventually queer the deal for social acceptance. They are the face, and they lack self control.
I don't think so Dave. Just look at the Tea Party. Talk about fringe and militant. They serve a purpose for a short time. Eventually, when their purpose is served, they will go the way of the dinosaurs. When society gets the point that homosexuals are a part of the world they live in and when governments realise that fiscal conservatism is a viable reality, they will no longer be needed. Abolitionists were also considered fringe elements and militant. We no longer need them.

Location hidden

#180716 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have no soul, of course you don't understand that.
Again...a complete dodge of a, very politely (I might add), asked request for elaboration. I'm very happy that I woke up this morning too, but how would that be proof of your approved god?

Or are you completely ignoring the actual question and just making the statement that this is all of the proof that you need... not that it's actually proof, but it's all you need to have faith in your god?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#180717 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
This applies to the theists!
"Es mejor guardar silencio y ser pensado un tonto que hablar hacia fuera y quitar toda duda"
~anon as many claim it.
Try Google on Dutch. ;)
Religie is niets meer dan organiseren bijgeloof!
Huh. I expected to understand the Spanish, but I managed to get the Dutch, too.

Cognates are wonderful wee beasties.

The Borderland of Sol

#180718 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to brag, or advertise, but there IS a church where you will be welcomed, accepted and celebrated.
And the dress is informal.
There are two, as happens. First Hoplite will, too.

The Borderland of Sol

#180719 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Haz lo que vieras: Do what you see (others doing).
When in Rome....
No.

"No matter where you go, there you are" is a quote from the immortal American philosopher Buckaroo Banzai.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#180720 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was, as usual. Catcher confirmed it.
Peace unto you IANS.
Indeed.

Pastor Catcher's confirmation is on record, and that means much.

You're invited to attend the Holy Church of Catcher.

The Church now has a very lively and informative thread.

The stripper pole is up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why creation? 8 min superwilly 59
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 hr candlesmell 95,390
Atheism saved me 19 hr Amused 27
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... Tue Elganned 174
man Mon blacklagoon 3 1
The atheists mind Jun 15 Elganned 63
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50