Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254916 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180653 Oct 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is at best astonishing and at worst, willfully deceptive.
It is my faith, and until you could prove yours, which you won't ever be able to do. I could say the same about you.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180654 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
God is not something you prove but something you experience.
The Bible has been tested over time. It remains the number one seller of all time throughout the ages. It contains 66 books, of history, warfare & military tactics still taught today in war colleges, poetry, advice, procedures that are used in the medical field, procedures used in industry, love stories, lust, spying, crimes, punishment, conspiracies, murder, conflict resolutions, employer & employee relations, fire science (first back draft recorded), marital advice, prophecy, and much much more.
And you want someone to prove it to you?
Very true. They do know this but they are part of a cult.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180655 Oct 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have solid proof of God
<quoted text>Solid proof , as compared to liquid proof.
But does he have any gaseous proof?
My solid proof is this morning.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#180656 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
My solid proof is this morning.

Oh,....Please elaborate, as this is a very vague answer.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180657 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
God is not something you prove but something you experience.
The Bible has been tested over time. It remains the number one seller of all time throughout the ages. It contains 66 books, of history, warfare & military tactics still taught today in war colleges, poetry, advice, procedures that are used in the medical field, procedures used in industry, love stories, lust, spying, crimes, punishment, conspiracies, murder, conflict resolutions, employer & employee relations, fire science (first back draft recorded), marital advice, prophecy, and much much more.
And you want someone to prove it to you?
Yes.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180658 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"NO WAR HAS EVER BEEN STARTED OVER AN ATHEIST IDEOLOGY."
Marx, Lenin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot
What about them?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180659 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s something I didn’t know, that you attended church.
There’s nothing wrong with having friends you love. But I want to ask you a question. Do you see yourself being a lesbian for the rest of your life? Even as you are in your elderly years?
I don’t judge you for that’s not my place. People change over time and relationships come and go. But what will be your future 20, 30 or even 40 years from now? Will you be happy or will you look back and have heartfelt regrets?
Well lets see. You're a grandfather, right? Have you ever looked back and wished you had been gay?

Contrary to what you may have heard, being homosexual isn't a choice, Eagle. It's not something I can change even if I wanted to. I'm happy the way I am.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180660 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a virgin in heaven would NOT be paradise for virgins!
Picture this - you live a perfect life your chaste, you die - you go to heaven a Muslim virgin woman only to be repeatedly raped over and over by martyrs awaiting their 72 biggies each!
Now all that's what I call a great faith!
I doubt Muslim women share the same enthusiasm.
Isn't religion great?
If this religious nonsense were true...
(A postcard to me, delivered by an angel from paradise would suffice as evidence)
I would convert to a Muslim, fly a jet into a mega televangelist church, destroy the infidels inside and gain my 72 virgins in paradise!
I would even go to a Christian orphanage and offer them a free 747 airplane ride!
Who knows when dabbling in superstition anything is possible. Those extra kiddies my gain me another 25 virgins!
Or do I sign up?
Lol
“Being a virgin in heaven would NOT be paradise for virgins!”

“I doubt Muslim women share the same enthusiasm.
Isn't religion great?”

Maybe there’s going to be a flip flop and the men will be the virgins and the women will be the men. Payback?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180661 Oct 19, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
What about them?
Upstanding world class citizens and staunch supporters of human rights. Of course Atheism was a part of their communist ideology. That’s why they were such human rights champions.
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180662 Oct 19, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
What about them?
Easy answer.

Atheism embodies no particular ideology, world view or dogma and cannot be justified as any significant factor in the activities of these people.

If anything, the lack of belief in a supernatural overlord leaves one to respect the importance of all of mankind peacefully coexisting, because unlike in religious doctrine, the penalties one may face for immoral acts are often levied in the material world, during the life of the perpetrator.

Indeed to the founder of communist doctrines, Karl Marx (1818-1883), atheism, was just a stage on the path to communism, and it was ultimately "unreal" and "no longer needed" by socialism and communism.

"Atheism as a denial of this unreality; has no longer any meaning, for atheism is a denial of God and tries to assert through this negation the existence of man; but socialism as such no longer needs this mediation."
~Karl Marx

If Karl Marx, the intellectual founder of Marxism and communism, repudiated atheism as meaningless and no longer needed, how then could atheism be considered the cause of the atrocities committed under communism?

That dog won't hunt.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180663 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well lets see. You're a grandfather, right? Have you ever looked back and wished you had been gay?
Contrary to what you may have heard, being homosexual isn't a choice, Eagle. It's not something I can change even if I wanted to. I'm happy the way I am.
I love women. They are by far the most beautiful thing ever made.

I don’t think society will ever fully understand homosexuality. Mainly because any research that’s done is always going to be biased. But based on my personal observations I know some are apt to be born that way.

But I also believe more than two thirds are that way because of social environmental factors. I had a friend of the family that was the only male in his family. His mother divorced his father and she had the children. He was raised with his mother and three sisters. He grew up gay and was one of the first to die of full blown AIDS.

I believe it would have been different if he had been raised with his Father.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180664 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy answer.
Atheism embodies no particular ideology, world view or dogma and cannot be justified as any significant factor in the activities of these people.
If anything, the lack of belief in a supernatural overlord leaves one to respect the importance of all of mankind peacefully coexisting, because unlike in religious doctrine, the penalties one may face for immoral acts are often levied in the material world, during the life of the perpetrator.
Indeed to the founder of communist doctrines, Karl Marx (1818-1883), atheism, was just a stage on the path to communism, and it was ultimately "unreal" and "no longer needed" by socialism and communism.
"Atheism as a denial of this unreality; has no longer any meaning, for atheism is a denial of God and tries to assert through this negation the existence of man; but socialism as such no longer needs this mediation."
~Karl Marx
If Karl Marx, the intellectual founder of Marxism and communism, repudiated atheism as meaningless and no longer needed, how then could atheism be considered the cause of the atrocities committed under communism?
That dog won't hunt.
That's why over 200 million of their people died under their broken communist ideology that embraced Atheism. Many of those millions were murdered. So if you can't beat them, kill them. And that's what they did.

Freedom is about having a choice. Without it one is not free.
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180665 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Being a virgin in heaven would NOT be paradise for virgins!”
“I doubt Muslim women share the same enthusiasm.
Isn't religion great?”
Maybe there’s going to be a flip flop and the men will be the virgins and the women will be the men. Payback?
Who knows?

It is certain there are literally thousands of Gods and religions.
Not one is FACT based. All demand FAITH and subservience.

Try to really think about what paradise is - conceptually regarding your own family.

SCENARIO 1 of 1000's

You have a 3 beautiful girls. 4, 10 and 17.
The youngest is killed when your teenager backed the car over her.
This is the greatest tragedy in your family life.
The pain is unbearable and will never abate until you die.
Your are heartbroken with guilt, even though it was truly a terrible accident and your were powerless to prevent it.
You die 40 years later and achieve paradise.
Will your daughter be a grown woman with children?
Has she been watching you?
Who raised her during the 40 years?
Will she age?
How about more recent aunt, uncle, etc.?
Will your entire bloodline, that has achieved paradise join in a family get together? There would be tens of thousands!
Who cooks or is food unnecessary?
Are there toilets?
Pets?
Cars?

We can discuss virgins later!

Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180666 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why over 200 million of their people died under their broken communist ideology that embraced Atheism. Many of those millions were murdered. So if you can't beat them, kill them. And that's what they did.
Freedom is about having a choice. Without it one is not free.
Feeble attempt to link atheism with communist atrocities!
Tsk Tsk - Epic Fail!

Once again you are in error due to lack of historical knowledge on the subject.

When Stalin was sixteen, he received a scholarship to attend the Georgian Orthodox Tiflis Spiritual Seminary in Tbilisi.

Although his performance had been satisfactory, he was expelled in 1899 after missing his final exams. The seminary's records also suggest that he was unable to pay his tuition fees.

The official Soviet version states that he was expelled for reading illegal literature and for forming a Social Democratic study circle
Around this time, Stalin discovered the writings of Vladimir Lenin and decided to become a Marxist revolutionary, eventually joining the Bolsheviks in 1903 and becoming one of their chief operatives in the Caucasus.

Theists hold up Communism and Nazism, along with the regime of the Cambodian tyrant Pol Pot, as evidence of murderous "atheist" tyrannies that have caused the deaths of tens of millions.

While it may be true that Communism portrayed itself as "godless," it did not wage war in the name of atheism, nor were its founders and leaders raised as atheists.

They were, in fact, preponderantly Jewish and Christian.

Communist Manifesto writer Karl Marx was born a Jew, the grandson of two rabbis, and was converted to Christianity at age 6.

Leon Trotsky, whose real name was Lev Bronstein, was born and raised a Jew but later declared himself "an internationalist."

Josef Stalin's "very religious" mother named him after St. Joseph, and wanted him to become a priest. Stalin himself supposedly claimed that his father had been a priest, and he was purportedly "damaged by violence" while being "raised in a poor priest-ridden household."

As a youth, Stalin spent five years in a Greek Orthodox seminary, after which he purportedly renounced his religion. In his later years, Stalin apparently embraced Christianity once more.

As Stalin biographer Edvard Radinsky remarks, "During his mysterious retreat [of June 1941] the ex-seminarist had decided to involve the aid of the God he had rejected." Radinsky likewise chronicles a number of religious comrades in Stalin's immediate circle. It is evident that, whether for good or bad, religion played a significant role in Stalin's life.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180667 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don’t know what side of History I want to be on with it comes to the Atomic Bomb. It was a different time and mindset for the American people. It was a history I inherited when I was born. The same as with the civil war.
Could there have been alternate places for the A-Bomb such as Okinawa or one of the Japanese Islands that was predominantly military?
President Truman was not the Pope or a religious leader. He was the President of the United States, a politician. The headlines at the time did not say,“Christian President ordered A-Bomb dropped on Japan.”
I don’t deny God can be cruel and indifferent. He can hate or love you. The firstborn dying in Egypt broke the camels back. That was the end of being slaves by the Hebrews. Until prior to WWII.
I would think you would want to be on the side of history that saved millions of our young men and women. The entire population of our core 17-25 year olds was at stake had we continued the war and attempted to invade the Japanese homeland.

I only responded to you about the President being a Christian because you said I was wrong about a Christian being responsible for dropping the bomb.

A God that can be cruel, indifferent, and can HATE, is not a God worthy of worship. Notice how all of these traits are human traits. Do you really think a God should possess the same failings as humans? In humans, these are extremely undesirable traits, and societies scorns people with these traits. Doesn't it almost seem as thought God was designed by humans possessing all the faults and failing of humans, and designed specifically by men. The misogyny contained in the bible kind of supports that idea with the word of God actually written by frustrated sexists old men.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180668 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Upstanding world class citizens and staunch supporters of human rights. Of course Atheism was a part of their communist ideology. That’s why they were such human rights champions.
So it was their communist ideology that was the problem, not being atheist.

So you were lying before.

Yeah, we know.
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180669 Oct 19, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the two most "Christian" cities in Japan, especially Nagasaki.
<quoted text>
Did that old fool say "christian"?
He meant Crispy.
Krispy Kreme Kristians?

Was the HOT light on?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180670 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I love women. They are by far the most beautiful thing ever made.
I don’t think society will ever fully understand homosexuality. Mainly because any research that’s done is always going to be biased. But based on my personal observations I know some are apt to be born that way.
But I also believe more than two thirds are that way because of social environmental factors. I had a friend of the family that was the only male in his family. His mother divorced his father and she had the children. He was raised with his mother and three sisters. He grew up gay and was one of the first to die of full blown AIDS.
I believe it would have been different if he had been raised with his Father.
You're a complete f*cking idiot.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180671 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote>

"I don’t deny God can be cruel and indifferent. He can hate or love you. The firstborn dying in Egypt broke the camels back. That was the end of being slaves by the Hebrews. Until prior to WWII."

I fully expect you to NOT castigate me for calling your God a demon God or referring to him as an evil murdering thug, as you have just admitted to such.

Yes, that may have been the end to the Hebrew's being slaves in Egypt, but your God still supported people having slaves for the next 2000 years.

Of course this is a meaningless conversation as this story is simply a myth. There was no wanderings in the desert by the Hebrews. Israeli archeologists have found absolutely no evidence that this happened. No archeologists worked harder than the Israeli's as any evidence found, even the smallest piece of evidence would validate their claim to that region.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180672 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably have never been to a church. You should at least go one time. People are nice and friendly. The doors are only locked when there’s no services ongoing. It would be against fire safety codes to lock people inside.
We have a great time. Friends, family and visitors gather and enjoy fellowship together. Then there is some of the finest music you could ever hear with musicians playing. Then the worship time followed by some preaching. You know people go because they want to go and they have a good time.
Over the years strong friendships develop. The kids grow up with life long friends and the adults too.
You can do the same thing with any social club, or golf club, or marina. The Marina I belong to has the same advantages as your church minus the cruel and indifferent God thing at its center. We don't have to tell the children lies and brainwash them into thinking about mythical beings and magical places. We don't even scare them into sleepless nights with visions of people writhing in agony.

There is NO advantage that going to church has over any other form of social club or gathering, NO advantage at all. There is NOTHING the Thesis can do that can't be done in a purely secular setting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min READMORE 29,495
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 48 min Fit2Serve 50,946
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr pusherman 11,507
Religion Down Suicide Up 1 hr Patrick 74
News Revered Artist Was an Atheist Who Rejected God.... 9 hr emperorjohn 48
News Here are 10 myths and truths about atheism 12 hr nanoanomaly 44
News Speaking for God 13 hr Jaimie 556
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 16 hr ChristineM 9,604
More from around the web