Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
173,141 - 173,160 of 226,065 Comments Last updated 17 min ago

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't they all Bob?
One would imagine with all the Internet information available: that... they would at least make a effort to determine what their religion is - what it originated from - why competing religious ideologies exist.
Sadly, they are so brainwashed, that "thinking" is verboten! "God will get me for that"
If religionists applied reason and science to their faith, their religion would simply die. That's why faith must oppose science for its very survival.
No philosophy, moral outlook, or religion can be inconsistent with the findings of science and hope to endure among educated people.
Yep.

This new InterTubes thingy will be the end of religion as it exists today.

However: I am sad to report that other, equally quack memes will likely persist:

## that Nigerian Princes have infinite wealth, and they desperately wish to share it with an anonymous E-mail recipient.

## that anything in a video **must** be true, because... well... photoshop is a myth, right?

## that Bill Gates is desperate to give away his millions if you would only (pick one) forward this E-mail, forward this photo, re-tweet this tweet

## that the force is a real thing

## that computers can become sentient and Take Over The World

## that State Fair hot dogs really do contain meat

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting.
And isn't it sad that your Bible-God cannot express love without also expressing abuse and hate as well?

Seven Godly Sins
When god destroys people for not obeying him, it is WRATH
When god punishes people for believing in a different god, it is ENVY
When god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH
When god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY
When god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worrshipping and praying to him, it is PRIDE
When god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED
When god intends on being party to every marriage, it is LUST

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking about a different God from mine.
The following describes your god perfectly, however:

Seven Godly Sins
When god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH
When god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY
When god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worrshipping and praying to him, it is PRIDE
When god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>UM< all of them. It is going to be a part of government, 9/11, Just like Hitler is to Jews, Catholics and molestation.Ect. Religions should be taught the way Government history is. It is more important to learn religions than it is Presidents. It give children the rights to half truth and justice. To vote at 18 or change your spiritual belief. Not from a cultural view but from the word.
All of them? How about the following facts? Should we include them as well?

Seven Godly Sins

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true, God wanted to break their backs and he did just that. They have never recovered from it. But if Pharoah would have repented and ask God's forgiveness God would have had mercy on Egypt. But Pharoah was too proud, he thought he was a God himself.
There is no evidence outside of the Bible for Moses or the Israelites living in Egypt.
There is no evidence for a mass exodus from Egypt.
There is no evidence that any Pharaoh or any Egyptian army drowned.
It took Alexander the Great to break Egypt.

How could Pharaoh possibly repent when God was hardening his heart after every plague?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

meandyou wrote:
<bullshit deleted>
Seven Godly Sins

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know?
God told my religious friend (should be enough for you christians)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pharaoh had a choice didn’t he?
Not according to the bible's story, he didn't.

And no-- the interference by Biblegod happened before the Pharaoh had a chance to decide.

But what is even worse? The **reason** for taking his freewill is given:

So that when biblegod **murders** him and his army? Biblegod gets much-much glory because of the bloody deaths.

It seems biblegod delights in such things (murder, death, destruction)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pharaoh had a choice didn’t he?
He had had nine previous warnings but he was just too stubborn to heed.
Not before the interference by biblegod.

But it's **worse** than that:

The reason is given why biblegod would not let Pharaoh act reasonbly:

Biblegod wanted much-much glory when Pharaoh and his army are killed.

It appears biblegod gets much-much delight when people die.

That probably explains why biblegod killed so many....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
First I commend you for having a decent conversation.
Your first question is legitimate and hard for all of us to understand. But God is a God of extremes. Why he has made such a place of torment is anybodies guess. This I know about him. He couldn’t make just a dozen stars but he went into the extremes and made trillions upon trillions.
He has a extreme angry side to him. Unlike anything you can or ever will imagine. On the other hand he has extreme love for those who wish to repent and surrender their life to him as one of his children. I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about hell because I’m not going to be there.
As far as benevolence, Christians spend untold millions in charity for the poor, uneducated, hungry, shelters, cancer research, children hospitals, building schools, hospitals, water wells, clothing, school supplies, grants, drug rehabs, medicine and the list goes on and on. One would have to have their head in the sand like an ostrich in order not to see it.
Yet Atheist charities are practically non existent in comparison. Does that sound like love for his fellow man?
Gays- They don’t have to stay in the closet but for goodness sake keep it in the bedroom with the doors locked and the curtains pulled. I don’t want to hear or know about what’s going on between individuals when it comes to their lifestyle choice. Keep it in the bedroom!!! And stop the ongoing recruitment of kids. I like that song Pink Floyd sings,“Another Brick in the Wall.”
“Hey, Teacher leave those kids alone!”
We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! teachers! leave the kids alone!
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!
All in all you're just a another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just a another brick in the wall.
-smooth guitar solo-
"Wrong, do it again!"
"Wrong, do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you
Have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"you! yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"
Roger Waters, the author of that bit, is an atheist as far as anyone can tell.

I find it amusing you'd use the words of an atheist....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence outside of the Bible for Moses or the Israelites living in Egypt.
How could Pharaoh possibly repent when God was hardening his heart after every plague?
The bible explains why Pharaoh was not allowed to cooperate:

Biblegod takes much glory in the wanton murder of people.

At least, according to the bible...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Vader murdered more people than stalin

I figured it had more to do with Vader being more imaginary.
Being everything these tards believe is...imaginary.
So Vader fits right in their imaginary world.
God save them from reality, they would have to face it then.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

movinon09 wrote:
I am just curious why people here are so sure of the comments you make regarding a higher power.
/
Do you mean like this?:

movinon09 wrote: "I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit."

Why don't you tell us why you are so sure of the comments you make regarding a higher power, and why you think that posting like this - criticizing others of exactly what you do while being apparently unaware of it - is effective?

Since: Sep 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean like this?:
movinon09 wrote: "I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit."
Why don't you tell us why you are so sure of the comments you make regarding a higher power, and why you think that posting like this - criticizing others of exactly what you do while being apparently unaware of it - is effective?
Leave the guy alone, he has the holly spirit.

Here's one for you: Alli donde fueras, haz lo que vieras.
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
There is nothing but a belief in a higher force, ie religion, to even start "morality". Without such you would never get past the "I want" and purely selfish stage.
Your sense of morality, where you even think you can judge your Creator, is directly and only derivative from those religions.
"Thinking". I love it. You think a name gives you powers beyond your means. Change it to "Limited Thinking". Truth in advertising.
Here is all the morality you will ever need...

Others... long before you're saviour said this... and it says a lot. Pay attention!

Essentially this concept is old as civilized man... There is nothing original about it in your religion.

"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE

"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE

"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE

"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE

"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE

"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE

I am Imhotep® and I approve this post. ;)
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

meandyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The ability to reason can be used in order to deny God's exixtence or to seek him.
Richard Bamford used that ability to make reason his God.
His foolish search for wisdom has landed him in the land of fools
In the process he has spouted a number of bombastic statements for which he provides no evidence.
Who endowed him with the ability to reasom?
God did not forbid knowledge , and the Bible , which Atheists claim was devised and written by uneducated Goatherders , is the most popular book ever written.
It has sold more copies , has been translated into more languages and more widely than any other book.
It has been used as an educational tool since it's inception.
The copies of the bible that have been sold would fill thousands of libraries. It's teachings are practiced by billions of people.
It is on the teachings of the bible and belief in God that Wesrern civilization forms it's foundation...magna carta , Declaration of Independence"
Those who believed in God set the foundation for our Health system and medicine.
It is they who founded hospitals and the nursing profession.
It is they who laid the foundation for our educational system.
It is they who feed the poor.
When there is a catastrophe it is the Red Cross , founded by a believer , who rushes to their assistance. It is Feed The Chidren , Catholic Charities , Salvation Army and other faith based organizations who tend to the needs of the lesss fortunate.
It is the the words of the bible that are written in our Federal building "And they shall beat their swords into plowshares and make war no more" not the Atheistic slogan espoused by Mao "All power flows from the barrel of a gun"
It is the " Scales of justice that sre engraved in our Supreme Court , not the lawless belief espoused by Atheist Societies .
It is Jesus who said , All things are possible by faith in God.
Atheism has not made any contributions to Western civilization.
They have however , wreaked havoc in the countries where they have ruled by human reason.
They murdered millions under Mao . They murdered by the millions under Pol Pot , They murderd by the millions under Stalin.
It was Alexander Solshenytsin who laid bare the cruelty of USSR
It was Lech Walessa and the Pope who freed Poland from the tentacles of communism.
What those who believe in God have accomplished by far and away supersedes anything accomplished by Atheists.
The facts are there for all to see.
No , reason is not the true God. God gave man the ability to reason. That some have not learned to use it properly and have instead made it their God is the way of a fool.
Thank you for the passioned response.
I don't buy it, WHY?

"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26

Why does this god 'moon' people?
Very Un-godlike!

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23

So you discard the old testament? But not the new?

You can't have it both ways, all or none.

You can't pick and choose what to believe in.

Well, you can, but then that makes it basically your own religion, and by definition that makes it your own imagination.

Why was the NT necessary?

When did god decide the OT required modification and further obfuscation?

The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.

"Once upon a time in a land far far away..."
Please insert this on top of all your posts to me ;)
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Something you should consider, "Condoms."
Your birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory.

Next? ;)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the diff?
Vader's empire offer more free will.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The following describes your god perfectly, however:
Seven Godly Sins
You speak on behalf of yourself. I have no agreement with you, and I don't recognize any tales what would suggest what you post. Your interpretation explains why you want this to be your last life here. So be it. I can't help you. And I can't prove anything to you to save you. It's just you either have no soul, or you don't want one. Only you know the truth.
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, the quest for Biblical accounts of ancient Egypt at least into the 19th Dynasty of Egypt's New Kingdom, take on an interesting approach by most investigators.

Essentially, since there is no evidence to clearly support the existence of Joseph, or Moses, or the Israeli Exodus, most of the investigation examines what was possible, what cannot be ruled out, or what fits into and Egyptian context. In other words, is it possible that such events or people could have existed from what we know of ancient Egypt. Some specifics are very possible, such as Joseph's rise to importance in the Egyptian court. Other events, such as the Exodus, as specifically told in the Bible, are much more difficult.

Though the Egyptians may not have liked to record defeats, it would seem very probable that, were the disasters inflicted upon them as detailed in the Bible, there would have survived some textual evidence. For example, the Egyptians certainly recorded events such as eclipses of the sun and the levels of the Nile Flood. Were the Nile to have turned to blood and every firstborn child suddenly have died, not to mention all of the other plagues mentioned in Exodus, there would have doubtless been some record left, particularly during the New Kingdom. Tomb records frequently provide us with the most meager of details, and we have, from that period, many thousands of documents recording civil actions and even commercial contracts.

"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."
Magnus Magnusson (The Archaeology of the Bible Lands - BC, p43)

For many centuries the Egyptians were present in Palestine, controlling the trade routes and importing the timber, olive oil and minerals not found in Egypt.

Archaeology has uncovered dramatic evidence of this pervasive Egyptian presence in 'Canaan'– yet nowhere does the Bible refer to Egyptians outside of Egypt.

It would spoil the story!!

How could Hebrews escape into the promised land if the Bible admitted Egyptians were running the show there too?

'Neither Moses, nor an enslaved Israel nor the event of this Exodus are recorded in any known ancient records outside the Bible ...
Although its climate has preserved the tiniest traces of ancient bedouin encampments and the sparse 5000-year-old villages of mine workers there is not a single trace of Moses or the Israelites.'
–John Romer, Testament

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••