Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180535 Oct 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's brainwashing.
Innocent children, scarred, some of them for life.
And you don't get it, because you yourself were victimized and ended up a godbot.
My wife and I had a wonderful time today. We were invited to grandparents day at the private school. My wife and I had a wonderful time today. We were invited to grandparents day at the private school. What festivities and good time of food and fellowship.

We all started out with the Pledge of Allegiance to the US Flag, then followed by the pledge to the Christian Flag, and finally the pledge to the Bible. I would have loved for you to have been there and seen all those little Godbots!

The kids did a great job of singing and telling their grandparents how much they appreciate them. We got to see the classrooms and the work the kids have been doing. It was grand for all us oldies.

Ahhhh freedom is grand!!!
Imhotep

United States

#180536 Oct 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are over 450,000 churches in the United States according to Premier Tourism Marketing's website and a few others.
“Simple LOGIC“????
You use simple LOGIC?
As in simpleton?
“arrogant and self-absorbed,” Oh you mean like yourself?
“who are fleeing the church in droves,”
I guess that’s why a church purchased the “Summit” in Houston Texas. Their crowds were getting so small.
YES !

Two simple LOGIC questions!

A) Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

B) Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.

Until this time, and it will be an eternity - you are only one of many religious cult members - each claiming more or less the same immortality or enlightenment as others.

Personally, I find this hilarious!
Religion=organized superstition.

Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180537 Oct 18, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds downright restrictive. A cult in other words.
<quoted text>
But only if you can get past the security, right? Step through the metal detector and bend over, spread your cheeks?
Can you spare a quatta for old alta boy, fadder?
<quoted text>
Wrong. I volunteer in orphanages. Wanna know why?
<quoted text>
Then why the need for orphanages? Why the need for adoption?
You have no idea what your preaching but you keep doing it for some reason. Why?
You probably have never been to a church. You should at least go one time. People are nice and friendly. The doors are only locked when there’s no services ongoing. It would be against fire safety codes to lock people inside.

We have a great time. Friends, family and visitors gather and enjoy fellowship together. Then there is some of the finest music you could ever hear with musicians playing. Then the worship time followed by some preaching. You know people go because they want to go and they have a good time.

Over the years strong friendships develop. The kids grow up with life long friends and the adults too.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180538 Oct 18, 2013
It's late, I love all of you Atheist.[Tipping Hat].

Se ya tomorrow sometime.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180540 Oct 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are over 450,000 churches in the United States according to Premier Tourism Marketing's website and a few others.
“Simple LOGIC“????
You use simple LOGIC?
As in simpleton?
I guess that’s why a church purchased the “Summit” in Houston Texas. Their crowds were getting so small.
What a waste of money. I know a few countries that could put all that money to good use! ;)
Imhotep

United States

#180541 Oct 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Simple LOGIC“????
You use simple LOGIC?
As in simpleton?
YES! Simple LOGIC

TWO QUESTIONS!

A) Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

B) Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.

Until this time, and it will be an eternity - you are only one of many religious cult members - each claiming more or less the same immortality or enlightenment as others.

With over 1200 Christian organizations, the USA has a greater number of Jesus fan clubs than any other country in the world. The proliferation of variegated brands of Christianity in America is so extreme that it acquires a comic dimension. One might discern only a subtle difference in name between, say, the "Evangelical Congregational Church" and the "Evangelical Covenant Church", or the "Church of God in Christ" and "Church of Christ" but miss a gulf of doctrinal distinction.

So sad thou hast such a small screen, thou art unable to see the larger picture.

POLL: 77% SEE DECLINING RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE IN AMERICA

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2013/05/29/poll-...

Worldwide!

http://americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2012-...

Sorry

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180542 Oct 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife and I had a wonderful time today. We were invited to grandparents day at the private school. My wife and I had a wonderful time today. We were invited to grandparents day at the private school. What festivities and good time of food and fellowship.
We all started out with the Pledge of Allegiance to the US Flag, then followed by the pledge to the Christian Flag, and finally the pledge to the Bible. I would have loved for you to have been there and seen all those little Godbots!
The kids did a great job of singing and telling their grandparents how much they appreciate them. We got to see the classrooms and the work the kids have been doing. It was grand for all us oldies.
Ahhhh freedom is grand!!!
It's good to hear you had such a good day.:)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180543 Oct 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably have never been to a church. You should at least go one time. People are nice and friendly. The doors are only locked when there’s no services ongoing. It would be against fire safety codes to lock people inside.
We have a great time. Friends, family and visitors gather and enjoy fellowship together. Then there is some of the finest music you could ever hear with musicians playing. Then the worship time followed by some preaching. You know people go because they want to go and they have a good time.
Over the years strong friendships develop. The kids grow up with life long friends and the adults too.
I go to church regularly, Eagle. My girlfriend is a Christian. They don't know we're gay. She's afraid to let them know so we don't hold hands or anything.

I find that odd but I don't say anything. Such a wonderful place and yet she's afraid of them. Afraid that those wonderful people will find out that she and I get naked together and have girl sex.

I keep telling her that they're going to find out sooner or later. I'm not shy about being lesbian, ya know? I'm not afraid of those people or their 3 gods.

It's not a bad experience for me. I get to be with her and everybody looks and smells good. I like the songs.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#180544 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don’t know what side of History I want to be on with it comes to the Atomic Bomb. It was a different time and mindset for the American people. It was a history I inherited when I was born. The same as with the civil war.
Could there have been alternate places for the A-Bomb such as Okinawa or one of the Japanese Islands that was predominantly military?
President Truman was not the Pope or a religious leader. He was the President of the United States, a politician. The headlines at the time did not say,“Christian President ordered A-Bomb dropped on Japan.”
I don’t deny God can be cruel and indifferent. He can hate or love you. The firstborn dying in Egypt broke the camels back. That was the end of being slaves by the Hebrews. Until prior to WWII.
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the two most "Christian" cities in Japan, especially Nagasaki.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180545 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I do think that there should be three different vocabulary words, one for someone that does not belief in God, and one for someone that is anti-religion, and one for those that appose beliefs period.
The first is called atheism, the second anti-theism, and there is nobody that opposed belief. We all have beliefs, even the beasts.
Robert Stevens wrote:
IMO, the lack of moral structure is the secondary reason I would not want to see any in office. The main reason being, we do not need people that are against religion, in America.
What lack of moral structure? Most atheists I know are more upright than most Christians I know.

I question the morals of candidates thumping bibles. The ones that come to mind are the likes of George Bush, Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum and Michelle Bachman. I wouldn't trust the motives or values of any of them. Nor their intelligence.

Fennario

#180546 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian God does exist, the prove you ask for is, you talk about it so much.
Very funny. How much is Vishnu discussed? How much is Santa discussed?

Fennario

#180547 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I am glad you just posted this. The topic is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" Why is the God I believe in or worship, or The Christian God coming up.
Because you keep bringing it up, among other reasons. Here you are bringing it up again. It's also relevant to any discussion on religion or atheism.
Robert Stevens wrote:
The answer is. You can't stay on topic
Then you consider a discussion of deities to be off topic in a thread about religion and faith? I don't.
Robert Stevens wrote:
You cannot prove that there was no creator of The universe
That is correct. It's also correct that there is no need to.
Robert Stevens wrote:
nor could you prove mankind was not created.
Man evolved from ancestral apes. That is beyond debate except among people defending creation myths, who, like all other non-evolutionary scientists, have no say in the debate. Christian evolution deniers are not taken seriously outside of their own circles.
Robert Stevens wrote:
You can not prove how The Universe started. No one has.
Why do you keep posting things like that? You're having a little trouble staying on topic.

Location hidden

#180548 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the two most "Christian" cities in Japan, especially Nagasaki.
There are very few "Christian" cities in East Asia. That's mainly the reason that I'm going back there after my undergraduate years are done. They have better governments.

Fennario

#180549 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I was responding to someone that was taking sides. It is unfortunate, but you can't discuss religion without being condescending.
All I've done is make arguments - often in the form of rhetorical questions - against faith, the church, the the contents bible. If you're feeling talked down to, that's all you. I suspect that it is because you have been unable to answer any of my points except with empty comments about what I can't prove.

Is it condescending for you to call all atheists immoral?
Robert Stevens wrote:
Make no mistake about it, I view you as sub human for having your beliefs.
LOL.

Thanks for being who you are in this thread. I don't mind you being condescending or going off topic a bit.
Robert Stevens wrote:
A Christian is just slightly misguided. I am glad this is a Christian based society. I would never want to life in an Atheist based society, and yes I would take ANY GROUP over you.
You got pretty angry at me pretty fast. I can only speculate why, as I don't believe that I have made a single personal comment about you yet.

Did you ever answer my questions about how your belief set differs from that of an admitted Christian? You seem pretty Christian to me.

Fennario

#180550 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
But still yes, it is overall rude to question a person's faith after they have admitted it as faith.
You'll just have to get over it. It's a dominant theme in Western culture at this time, and the purpose of these threads. You seem to disapprove. I can easily imagine why, but I'll let you speak for yourself if you care to.
Robert Stevens wrote:
I accept you as having your faith and knowing yourself.
You've said that before - just before you rejected my claim that I advocate for democracy, political freedom, peace, and tolerance, and lumped me with brutal authoritarians.
Robert Stevens wrote:
As much as I think your fate sucks. I would not try to talk you into changing your road. But I would point out it is asinine to request others to go down that road.
Why point that out? Who's requesting you or anybody else to go down my road? Choose whatever road make sense to you. What I do is help others make better decisions in that department by pointing out the failuresand hypocrisies of Christianity.

Fennario

#180551 Oct 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
How do you know about your god? How do you know that your god had any choice in the matter? How do you know that your god is even aware of us? How do you know how it feels about us? How do you know that your god isn't a race of gods?

Are those valid questions, or hatred of your religion?

Incidentally, if the Christian god and hell exist, then granting us free will was a horrible curse. It will have resulted in billions of souls needlessly going to hell to be tortured forever. Wouldn't creating us to love him the way we are created to love ourselves have been a greater gift?

Was that not also a good and valid question, or was that blind hatred of religion and the Christian god?
Robert Stevens wrote:
You don't get it. The soul has the option to take human form. I guess if you are soulless you have no free will. I see why you don't get it.
That's mythology accepted on faith, and appears to have nothing to do with my post.

Incidentally, it looks like you evades my entire post. I'll always give you the opportunity to answer these matters for yourself, but when you decline to comment, I'll speculate on why before moving on. Fair enough?

Your world view and habits of thought are indistinguishable from those of a Christian's thus far, and so I will provisionally categorize you among them.

And I think you ignored my two requests asking you to comment about whether my questions were valid - recall that you had implied that they were born of an irrational or unjustified dislike of religion and nothing more - because you didn't want to admit that the questions were reasonable questions for any open minded person to ask, nor to try to argue why they weren't. Is that pretty close?

Are you finding these discussions as helpful as I am?

Fennario

#180552 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I appreciate science.
In what sense? Don't you reject science's position on the evolution of the universe and the evolution of life on earth?

You appreciate science the way I appreciate Christianity.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#180553 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There are very few "Christian" cities in East Asia. That's mainly the reason that I'm going back there after my undergraduate years are done. They have better governments.
I am happy to have given you an excuse to rant, little one.

However, note I said "most". Those were the survivors of persecutions by the government over a long period of time. Christianity had made inroads in Asia a long time ago. Even Japan in the 1500's or before. Christianity is a threat to all authoritarian regimes.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#180554 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't you prove the god your creationist cult sent you here to shamelessly lie about Dave?

Why can't you face up to having no evidence and lying again and again about it?

Location hidden

#180555 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I am happy to have given you an excuse to rant, little one.
However, note I said "most". Those were the survivors of persecutions by the government over a long period of time. Christianity had made inroads in Asia a long time ago. Even Japan in the 1500's or before. Christianity is a threat to all authoritarian regimes.
Christianity has always been a threat.

"Here Native American. Take our smallpox blankets in exchange for your food for our survival. Deal?"

There are about 20 million Christians in China. Christianity is allowed in China. Religions are regulated. There are more Muslims in China than Christians. That pisses Christians off but there's really nothing they can do about it except stomp their feet and spit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min One way or another 17,958
News The Consequences of Atheism 28 min Thinking 1,115
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 47 min ChristineM 6,412
News Confessions of a black atheist 1 hr Savant 10
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 5 hr thetruth 9,243
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 8 hr DebraE 14,498
News In the Search for an Alternative to God, One Ra... (Mar '11) 13 hr Patrick n Angela 692
More from around the web