Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#180462 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Morality predates religion.
<quoted text>
And religion has nothing to do with morality.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#180463 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The vast majority do not share your belief.
<quoted text>
Religion = Superstition
Truth will out.

Jonny Eve puts it simply...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...
Thinking

UK

#180464 Oct 18, 2013
If you truly believe in Vader, then Vader killed billions.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would take Vader over Stalin.
Thinking

UK

#180465 Oct 18, 2013
I wonder how many consoles RS uses to vote for himself?
Looks like three. The Jeremy Hunt.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Religion = Superstition
Truth will out.
Jonny Eve puts it simply...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#180466 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Just vote them down

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180467 Oct 18, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So is it your contention that God only killed babies during war time? When he ordered the slaughter of ALL of the Egyptian first born males, there was no war.
When your God got angry, a human trait I would think a God would be better to not have, and flooded the entire planet, thereby murdering countless little babies and destroying just as many unborn fetuses, there was no WAR. Imagine, you getting so angry at your children that you filled the tub and held their little heads under the water until they drowned. Would you ever get angry enough to even consider doing something like that? Your God had no trouble doing it to millions, and all because he had a little hissy fit.
BTW it was a Christian who ordered to bomb dropped on Japan.
Pharaoh had a choice didn’t he?

He had had nine previous warnings but he was just too stubborn to heed.

But you don’t blame Pharaoh for being a butt head?

Egypt was the Worlds Super Power with a military unmatched anywhere in the world. God broke their back and they never recovered even to this very day.

Only those that had the lambs blood over their door post were saved. Doctor, if you don’t have the lambs blood over your life it’s going to be bad for you as well. Egypt had a choice to be saved just like you do. But they refused as you have refused.

And you are wrong my Dear Doctor about Japan. It was an American President acting as Commander and Chief that ordered the bombing of Japan with the first nuclear weapon. That’s how history has recorded it. Thankfully you Atheist can’t go back and rewrite history.

How about this one Doctor.

March 9 1945

On this day, U.S. warplanes launch a new bombing offensive against Japan, dropping 2,000 tons of incendiary bombs on Tokyo over the course of the next 48 hours. Almost 16 square miles in and around the Japanese capital were incinerated, and between 80,000 and 130,000 Japanese civilians were killed in the worst single firestorm in recorded history.

The 130,000 civilians that were burned to death in the firebombing of Tokyo has never been mentioned by you. That one was ordered by General Curtis Lemay. Women, children, infants, the elderly and disabled all were burned to death. That event doesn’t seem to be on your radar screen.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180468 Oct 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Something you should consider...
Abortion
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Something you should consider, "Condoms."
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180469 Oct 18, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr Mengele is in heaven
Timothy McVeigh is in heaven
How would you know?

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#180470 Oct 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pharaoh had a choice didn’t he?
He had had nine previous warnings but he was just too stubborn to heed.
But you don’t blame Pharaoh for being a butt head?
Egypt was the Worlds Super Power with a military unmatched anywhere in the world. God broke their back and they never recovered even to this very day.
Only those that had the lambs blood over their door post were saved. Doctor, if you don’t have the lambs blood over your life it’s going to be bad for you as well. Egypt had a choice to be saved just like you do. But they refused as you have refused.
Your God is supposed to have hardened Pharaohs heart before the plagues.

Exodus 7
1  And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
2  Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land.
3  And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.
4  But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.
5  And the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them.
10  And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the Lord had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
11  Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.
12  For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.
13  And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180471 Oct 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think I know what love is, and I think that I have experienced it. It doesn't involve things like damnation or torture. Nor worship. What kind of love is involved in creating a hell and a devil, or in keeping souls conscious after death just so that they can suffer forever in the service of no legitimate purpose?
I find the Christian notion of love to be quite deformed, and not just what is called the god's love of man. How about the other direction - the love of God by man?
Is not love is a selfless act given for the benefit of the object loved? The Christian's love of god is entirely for the benefit of the one doing what is called loving. That's not authentic love to me, just like loving chocolate ice cream isn't authentic love.
And how about the Christian love of his fellow man? I think it's despicable the way the church scapegoats gays and atheists, driving both into closets by describing them as vile abominations that displease a good god. That's called love, too - you know, "love the sinner, but hate the sin."
Anyway, none of the three seems like love to me, which is why I asked the question, "what is love according to Christianity?"
Is this also hatred of religion, or are these legitimate issues worthy of discussion? Don't people have a legitimate interest in how their neighbors are being taught to think by the tens of millions?
First I commend you for having a decent conversation.

Your first question is legitimate and hard for all of us to understand. But God is a God of extremes. Why he has made such a place of torment is anybodies guess. This I know about him. He couldn’t make just a dozen stars but he went into the extremes and made trillions upon trillions.

He has a extreme angry side to him. Unlike anything you can or ever will imagine. On the other hand he has extreme love for those who wish to repent and surrender their life to him as one of his children. I don’t spend a lot of time worrying about hell because I’m not going to be there.

As far as benevolence, Christians spend untold millions in charity for the poor, uneducated, hungry, shelters, cancer research, children hospitals, building schools, hospitals, water wells, clothing, school supplies, grants, drug rehabs, medicine and the list goes on and on. One would have to have their head in the sand like an ostrich in order not to see it.

Yet Atheist charities are practically non existent in comparison. Does that sound like love for his fellow man?

Gays- They don’t have to stay in the closet but for goodness sake keep it in the bedroom with the doors locked and the curtains pulled. I don’t want to hear or know about what’s going on between individuals when it comes to their lifestyle choice. Keep it in the bedroom!!! And stop the ongoing recruitment of kids. I like that song Pink Floyd sings,“Another Brick in the Wall.”

“Hey, Teacher leave those kids alone!”

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! teachers! leave the kids alone!
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!
All in all you're just a another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just a another brick in the wall.

-smooth guitar solo-

"Wrong, do it again!"
"Wrong, do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you
Have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"you! yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#180472 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what I was thinking.
We seem to have rattled his cage :-)
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180473 Oct 18, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Your God is supposed to have hardened Pharaohs heart before the plagues.
Exodus 7
1  And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.
2  Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land.
3  And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.
4  But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.
5  And the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them.
10  And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the Lord had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
11  Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.
12  For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.
13  And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
This is true, God wanted to break their backs and he did just that. They have never recovered from it. But if Pharoah would have repented and ask God's forgiveness God would have had mercy on Egypt. But Pharoah was too proud, he thought he was a God himself.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180474 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The logical conclusion of that is you must also believe Darth Vader exists.
<quoted text>
"Luke, I am your Father."

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#180475 Oct 18, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly what I was thinking.
We seem to have rattled his cage :-)
I'm voting him and the other trolls down

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#180476 Oct 18, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
Atheists are the most disgusting group of people walking the surface of the planet. They serve no good and are worthless.
Say who?

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#180477 Oct 18, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would take Vader over Stalin.
What's the diff?

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#180478 Oct 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the diff?
Vader murdered more people than stalin

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180479 Oct 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's address these one at a time shall we Sir Robert?
The Vatican has spoken out on the subject of the Seven Magnificent Deadly Sins, and has come up with a modernised version of 'things to go to Hell for'.
The original seven sins - Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth - have become outdated, says the Vatican, as everyone in the world indulges in those sins every day of their lives.
A new up-to-date list of sins is thought to have been the idea of the Pope himself.
To reflect the state of modern life, the new Seven Magnificent Deadly Sins, as decreed by the Pope, include sins against minorities, as well as against the environment, which is always complaining about being shat upon.
The revised list is:
Pollution.
Calling gay people names like Arse Bandit, Rear Admiral or Cackpipe Cosmonaut.
Kiddyfiddling (unless the kiddyfiddler is a trusted religious person)
Calling Muslims names like ...well...you know, and laughing at their beards.
Drug-taking if you're an athlete (forgiveable after 2 years)
Can't think of one for number 6.
Being a sloth.
Priests have applauded the revision, and say that anyone discovered committing more than four of the sins within a 7-day period, could leave themselves open to Eternal Damnation.
Father Feargal O'Birmingham, a professor of moral theology at the University of Alum Rock, said:
"The world has changed since the original seven deadly sins were written down in 1977. Sins have changed, and we must change with them. It may have been fine to call a faggot a 'faggot' 30 years ago, but that kind of thing is no longer permissible."
LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180480 Oct 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't they all Bob?
One would imagine with all the Internet information available: that... they would at least make a effort to determine what their religion is - what it originated from - why competing religious ideologies exist.
Sadly, they are so brainwashed, that "thinking" is verboten! "God will get me for that"
If religionists applied reason and science to their faith, their religion would simply die. That's why faith must oppose science for its very survival.
No philosophy, moral outlook, or religion can be inconsistent with the findings of science and hope to endure among educated people.
Yep.

This new InterTubes thingy will be the end of religion as it exists today.

However: I am sad to report that other, equally quack memes will likely persist:

## that Nigerian Princes have infinite wealth, and they desperately wish to share it with an anonymous E-mail recipient.

## that anything in a video **must** be true, because... well... photoshop is a myth, right?

## that Bill Gates is desperate to give away his millions if you would only (pick one) forward this E-mail, forward this photo, re-tweet this tweet

## that the force is a real thing

## that computers can become sentient and Take Over The World

## that State Fair hot dogs really do contain meat

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180481 Oct 18, 2013
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting.
And isn't it sad that your Bible-God cannot express love without also expressing abuse and hate as well?

Seven Godly Sins
When god destroys people for not obeying him, it is WRATH
When god punishes people for believing in a different god, it is ENVY
When god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH
When god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY
When god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worrshipping and praying to him, it is PRIDE
When god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED
When god intends on being party to every marriage, it is LUST

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 min Eagle 12 12,749
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr Agents of Corruption 47,818
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... 4 hr QUITTNER Sep 1 2015 12
Proof of God for the Atheist 8 hr Thinking 128
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 9 hr True Christian wi... 10
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 9 hr True Christian wi... 23
Hitler was Catholic 11 hr Pagatheist 2
More from around the web