Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180078 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>Let's not change the topic, bobbing Bobby, all you worm meat are posting with hidden location. Are you afraid I'll do my Pagan magic, find you, then bake you. And you call us superstitious.
Lmao

Location hidden

#180079 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>You really don't know me. The thought of even running for local office has never crossed my mind.
Thank "god". LOL!!!!

Location hidden

#180080 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>Very backwards post. It are The Atheist nations that don't offer challenge. Here we permit all to have churches. Even Atheist.
Pick one ;-)

Location hidden

#180081 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>Godbot, that is very flattering, and having someone whom denounces The Great Jesus Christ, and calls him false and a lie, insult me. It does, me and my family proud. I really am all choked up. A person that admits he has no soul calling me ignorant and other condescending words. You couldn't make me more happy. Godbot, I really don't think I am worthy, but thank you, all the same.
Lol...such drawn out sarcasm...it's always the most entertaining :-)

Location hidden

#180082 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in a Perfect God, your statements are not true about my God. But yours on the other hand, ye without soul.
Which ones the perfect one again????? Lol

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180083 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
To accept everything including the stars were self created would be similar saying the Boeing 757 self created. There’s so much complexity in life and the cosmos it couldn’t have just self generated this complexity.
That's a powerful argument against the existence of a god. After all, what is the most complex and therefore the least likely thing to exist uncreated and undesigned?

Fennario

#180084 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Jesus Christ while it could be fairly debated if he is or is not God, was an extraordinary person, worthy of praise.
If he wasn't a god - that is, if he didn't do miracles or rise from the dead - then he was just another nice guy who didn't say or do anything remarkable.

What do you think makes Jesus a better man than say my neighbor, who is also a nice guy that would also likely tell you that the Golden Rule is a good rule to live by?

Did Jesus say anything worthwhile that was original?

You could have built the same religion around billions of similar nice guys in history including my neighbor, especially if you could control the stories told about them.

Fennario

#180085 Oct 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps "Struthiform".
"Ostrich-like."
Yep, that's it.

Bongo loves words like I do, and he makes the effort to add them to his vocabulary when he sees them. Struthiform was a word I introduced a few months ago on another thread that he liked and began using:

"Sorry, my struthiform friend."

Since he tries to learn and use them, I've continued supplying them on a regular basis. Perhaps you've noticed him use the words breedbate, xanthodontous and pilgarlic recently. These come from two fairly funny insults I posted recently:

[1] "So says the furfuraceous, pediculous, xanthodontous pilgarlic"

[For those not sufficiently intrigued to look them up, those mean dandruffy, louse ridden, yellow toothed and bald headed]

[2] "But not you, you contemptible lackwit, lickspigot, quibberdick, breedbate, and cumberworld."

[These are mostly self-evident in meaning, I think]

It's the reason I gave him the list of "-nym" words yesterday, and several other lists in the past. If there's any interest in them, I can run them again through this thread.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#180086 Oct 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are irrational.
Ehm, no, completely logical arguments backed up with either fact or mathematics but hey, if you cannot find anything to discuss except attempted personality and character slurs, so be it.

#180087 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dearly beloved Atheist friend, I now have a better understanding of the problem you’re dealing with due to your in-depth reply. May you go forward with peace in your heart.[tipping hat]
By the way, your cynicism towards me is like water on a ducks back. I expect nothing less from you my friend.
What problem? Oh I see, you consider fact to be a problem, well of course facts may be inconvenient to godbots but that’s just tough, learn to live with them because it’s not going to get any better for you

No cynicism, simply telling it how it is using nothing but fact but you are welcome to you belief if that’s what helps you sleep at night.

And even after you heartfelt plea you still have NOT provided ANY evidence that I am off base. I wonder why that could possible be?

Fennario

#180089 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Humanist, is a why to try to sneak in to the American political door, for communist.
What?
Robert Stevens wrote:
We did not fall for it in the 60s and 70s, we won't start falling for it today ... You would all be better off coming out straight forward and addressing your true issues in stead of this silly dance around you do.
Nobody's going to get anything past you, huh? What chance do we Communists posing have humanist have in the face of such perspicacity?
What chance do we have against mind readers like you?

Your comment about taking me at my word a few days ago is seeming pretty hilarious about now:

"The difference between you and I is, I accept you for your word in regards to your choice of religion, beliefs or faith."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

I just finished telling you what my political beliefs were, and you rejected them out of hand and reassigned some sinister authoritarian agenda to me instead.

Based on that, I'd say that a big difference between us is more like that when I post something about myself, it's true.

#180090 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Tamsin a English Actress, was raised an Atheist. No belief in God whatsoever. Having no radical brain washing as Atheist would describe it. Found God was real in her own journey in this life at the age of 30 years old.
From wiki:
Tamsin Margaret M. Greig (/&#712;tæmz&#618;n &#712;&#609;r&#603 ;&#609;/; born 12 July 1966)[2] is an English actress principally known for her roles in two Channel 4 television comedies: Fran Katzenjammer in Black Books and Dr. Caroline Todd in Green Wing. She currently stars in two sitcoms: as Beverly Lincoln in transatlantic sitcom Episodes, and as Jackie in the Channel 4 sitcom Friday Night Dinner. Other notable roles include Alice Chenery in BBC One's comedy drama Love Soup, Debbie Aldridge in BBC Radio 4's soap opera The Archers, and Miss Bates in the 2009 BBC version of Jane Austen's Emma. Greig is also an acclaimed stage actress; she won a Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actress in 2007 for Much Ado About Nothing, and was nominated again in 2011 for her role in The Little Dog Laughed.
Christine, an artist, who was raised in a christian household and taught belief in god and the babble left the church at age 14 following years of mockery and verbal abuse. She found the two faced snideness taught by christianity to be sick minded and self defeating. There followed a period that involved deep and meaningful study of the babble as well as other relevant contemporary documents that consolidated her belief that not only does no god exist but no god can exist in this universe. That study also educated her of the lies and deceit fostered by christianity in the words of the NT

From me.

Fennario

#180091 Oct 15, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Robert Stevens wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHHAHHAAAHH, WHAHAHHAHAHAHA. I am crying with laughter. That was just too funny.
Why was that funny? Religious people have made life for unbelievers more difficult and more dangerous for centuries. Was that what you thought was funny enough to make you cry?

#180092 Oct 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Her irrational state, without a doubt. She gets all bitchy.
Hey, Yoda, Jr,, cool avatar you got there. Keep at it, you are almost out to his galaxy. Maybe you two can have lunch and he could teach you how to use that light saber.
Only when you initiate it. But of course you would never occur to you that your blatant sexism, snide and inaccurate personality attacks and deliberate ignorance could initiate such an sentiment as fact that you assume to be bitchiness

#180093 Oct 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps "Struthiform".
"Ostrich-like."
Possibly, I have been told I have a long neck and legs but honestly not that long and of course the middle bit is all the wrong shape. LOL

But really who really knows what he meant?
Imhotep

United States

#180094 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in God?
I’m not asking about religion.
NOPE!

I believe strictly in me!

Gods are imaginary, religions were created, by men, to control and extort money from the gullible.

Logically, the entire concept of supreme beings is flawed without evidence, without merit. It exposes the ignorance of primitive man.

Our civilization is not Christian. It does not come from the skies. It is not a result of "inspiration" but the child of human invention.

My respect for the Abrahamic religions went up in the smoke and choking dust of September 11th. The last vestige of respect for this taboo vanished as I watched the 'Day of Prayer' in Washington Cathedral, where people of mutually incompatible faiths united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place: RELIGION.

It is time for people of intellect, as opposed to people of faith, to stand up and declare to respect people for what they individually think, rather than respect groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe.

Did you know...

The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.

A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration.

The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.

Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.

Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

Europe entered the Dark Ages.

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

Fennario

#180095 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Why would we bake you, when we know The Devil is waiting to do it. No need for over kill.
To be godly. You want to be as much like your god as you can, don't you?

Christians are told to imitate their god as closely as possible. Well, what does a sinless, perfectly moral and perfectly loving god do? He builds a torture pit, staffs it with a supernatural Inquisitor, causes souls to be immortal, and drops them into the fiery torture pit to suffer forever.

Don't you want to be like that, too?

#180096 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Godbot, that is very flattering, and having someone whom denounces The Great Jesus Christ, and calls him false and a lie, insult me. It does, me and my family proud. I really am all choked up. A person that admits he has no soul calling me ignorant and other condescending words. You couldn't make me more happy. Godbot, I really don't think I am worthy, but thank you, all the same.
Oh I know the late JC is false and a lie, I have even seen his fathers grave and seen his military record, I have studied his mothers tax records and guess what, no person of that name existed in any semblance of that stated in the babble. I have examined details of the plot that eventually lead to the name of the terrorist you worship being misnamed jesus during a greek translation.

As for insulting you, you deserve it seeing as how you insulted the memory of my grandfather and the many other atheists who fought and died just so you could lie your god.

And of course however you delusion yourself is entirely up to you.

Fennario

#180097 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Oh don’t feel bad about what you did to Catcher1. Heck fire the same thing happened to Madeline Murray O'Hare. One day one of her good ole buddies just shot her dead. You Atheist are funny about such things.
Do you also think that killing atheists is funny?

What are you people so agitated about? That your religion is being questioned? Isn't that a good thing?

Fennario

#180098 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
You know you sound like part of the Salem Witch [h]unt show I took in while I was there. Too funny.
And yet again.

How many posts have we have seen now combining religion, the death of atheists, and laughter? Are you that angry at us? Why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Science 81,683
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 12 hr River Tam 33,031
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 23 hr Eagle 12 - 2,191
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web