Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258479 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#180036 Oct 14, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
? say what?, a search on google for “sturthiform” turns up:
http://www.google.co.uk/#q=sturthiform
Did you mean:
Stratiform - structform - struts form -sturt farm
No results containing all your search terms were found.
Your search - sturthiform - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
I have another suggestion, try speaking in one of the languages of earth
And wow have you used a dictionary lately? Perhaps you should have used one for your previous attempt at a big word.
P.S. your guess is a guess (very christian of you) and it’s wrong however in the same vein, you want to tell us about your problem with obesity?
Perhaps "Struthiform".
"Ostrich-like."

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#180037 Oct 14, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't come out and say it often, but I think atheism is a personal short coming. Mental illness is their perception. I take it as a compliment when they say it. You have to realize this is a sort so negative, they accuse a majority of people throughout history of lying, and many of those people are great people. Jesus Christ while it could be fairly debated if he is or is not God, was an extraordinary person, worthy of praise. I do believe he was of God, but I believe we all are. When someone that puts down Jesus, puts you down too, that is flattering.
What so many people throughout history have done, and what believers continue to do, though, is to believe something they were taught, but which no living person has ever verified to be true, and they have continued to believe that because all men know that one day they will die, and they fear that if they do not believe, and if they do not teach those after them, to believe then what they are taught, which is that they will burn in hell, for eternity, will really happen, or if even they are not completely convinced that it will happen, they fall back on Pascal's Wager, of it being better to be safe than sorry, so they believe, in spite of any evidence of a rational reason to do so.

What all of them overlook, except those who have not had sufficient education to actually learn and understand these things, is that there is not now nor ever has been any evidence that anything talked about in the Bible about Jesus and God has ever been proved to be true, and also that many of the events and stories mentioned in the Bible have been verified to not have happened. Because no proof of all of the stories being fictional is still not the case, they rationalize in various ways (my denomination treated the proven falsehoods as myths or parables but still held onto the belief that Jesus did live and die for our sins, and that there really is a God, who came in the flesh as Jesus).

Very few, with a strong upbringing in Christianity, or Islam, for that matter, dare risk the consequences of "what if". I understand that, because I lived that for much of my life too, though I never believed completely that the way one conducted one's life did not matter, as long as one believed in Jesus and God, but rather I believed that Salvation depended on how one lived one's life in addition to believing in God.

Still, I never once ever had any even the tiniest bit of evidence of the real existence of such a God, though there were times in my life when circumstances or events made me want to believe God existed more than at other times. There was a lot of the life of the Church that I found very inspirational, and meaningful, but when I attended an Amway Conference once in a city in Ohio, I saw people reacting to speakers about Amway in much the same way the people react at the talk of some of the imposters who evangelize at big gatherings, or on TV. We human beings are a very emotional lot and are easily swayed especially if in a crowd of people of like mind.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#180038 Oct 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Heaven is what you can see. Our universe.
God was pre-existing.
God created the universe and the earth.
Sounds like the BBT to me.
We can't see past our universe. We are in bottle or balloon, so to speak. God has been known to visit the area, but is unlikely to live in it.
Surely there is something beyond what we can see if it made us.
Sounds like a hypothesis to me.
Now, show us some evidence this is possible.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180039 Oct 14, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I think I am still a young whippersnapper as long as I don't look in a mirror, or try to carry something that I did a lot when I was 32.:)
:-)

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#180040 Oct 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Actor Kirk Cameron and his move from Atheism.
19 Sep 2013 Written by Mark Ellis | Godreports.com
At age 17 he had it all. As Mike Seaver on the hit TV show Growing Pains, he became a teen heartthrob and was making $50,000 a week. Magazines like Tiger Beat featured him regularly on their covers. He traveled the world meeting famous people.
But in his pursuit of a young woman's affections, the girl's father made it clear that amid all his youthful fame and success, there was one thing he lacked – God.
"There's still something you don't have, Kirk," the man told a surprised Cameron. "You don't have the Lord."
"I don't believe in God and that's not something I'm interested in," he informed the dad, matter-of-factly. Cameron considered himself a "staunch" atheist, too intelligent to believe in fairytales.
When the girl's family invited him to attend church with them later, he went reluctantly. "I only went because the girl was really cute and I wanted to get to know her," he admits.
Sitting in a church pew for the first time brought an unexpected reaction. "This man stood up there with a Bible, which I thought was a dusty old book designed to take the fun out of your life," he recounts.
But the message grabbed Cameron's attention. "He explained that we were designed by God to know Him and love Him and obey Him and be in right relation with Him."
"But something separates us from God and that 'something' He calls sin. Sin is the selfish streak that runs deep through the heart of every person."
The pastor explained that sin manifests itself when people lie, steal, or dishonor their parents. It can show up when you put other things in your life in a more important position than God.
When he heard this last part, Cameron felt a sinking sensation in his heart. "I realized my dirty socks were more important to me than God."
As the pastor continued, he clearly stated the ramifications of sin. "God hates sin not only because it separates us from Him, but because it's wrong. God will punish sin and those who commit sin in a place called hell."
That seems really harsh, Cameron thought to himself.
But then the pastor offered good news, a way out of this dilemma. "God is also loving and compassionate and He's provided a way to be forgiven by sending His Son Jesus to die on a cross.
"Jesus died to pay the price for our sins. If we humble ourselves and turn from our sins and trust in what Jesus did, God will grant us forgiveness and everlasting life. He did this because of His great love for us."
As Cameron sat in the back of the church, a wave of guilt swept over him. "I knew I had sinned against God," he admitted. At the same time, the first pale gleams of faith stirred his soul.
"My heart was swelling with hope that that this amazing God who sees my sinful heart would be compassionate enough to take my punishment for me and forgive me."
Questions were swirling in Cameron's mind when he took his girlfriend home. Where did we come from? he wondered to himself. Where are we going when we die? Is there really a God in heaven?
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#180041 Oct 14, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Part 2
"I didn't know what to say to my friend's father," he says, but he began to pepper him with questions. "I asked him about the Bible. I asked him for answers and he gave me intelligent answers."
Then one rejoinder stopped Cameron in his tracks. "Kirk, there's one question you need to ask God Himself – whether or not He's real."
How am I supposed to do that? he wondered.
Over the next few weeks, Cameron began to read the Bible for the first time. He also went back to church a few more times.
Then he found himself alone in his sports car, parked by the side of the road. An unsettling issue dogged his thoughts. If I get in a car accident and die tonight, will I go to heaven?
He realized the answer was no. He had ignored God his entire life; he put everything else in his life in a more important position than God.
"I sinned against Him, even knowing the thing I had done were wrong because I thought I could get away with it. I knew God saw it all and there was no reason He should let me into heaven."
For the first time in his life, Cameron bowed his head and prayed a brief prayer. "God, if you're there, I need to know. If you're real, would you please show me? Would you please forgive me for my pride and arrogance? Change me into the person you want me to be."
Cameron slowly opened his eyes and felt a newfound sense of hope and expectation. "It wasn't like a gust of wind blew through my window or I saw Jesus on my windshield, but I had a very real sense God heard me. I felt He was listening to me, that He is real."
Cameron felt so good he went home and told a Christian friend about his experience. He began to read the Bible regularly.
"I started learning about this amazing God," Cameron exults. "He's not a big bad cop in the sky waiting to punish people," he says. "He is a holy, just and righteous God who wants us to turn from our sins so we can be forgiven. It's an amazing story of love."
"That's the God I have fallen in love with and live for. Of all the things I've done, nothing compares with the joy of knowing Jesus Christ."
Article link: http://blog.godreports.com/2013/09/actor-kirk...
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#180042 Oct 14, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I humbly apologize.
Clearly, I had confused you with someone else.
I am sorry.
No harm done, and all is well.

:)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180044 Oct 14, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Jesus was a man without sin and spoke uprightly. An atheist is just a an atheist but a dangerous atheist is one who was once religious. They know the scripture better than most and certainly have an agenda , biased to say the least.
No question

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180045 Oct 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say that I believed in authoritarianism or cults of personality? You don't seem to be accepting my word at all. I'm a humanist, not a Communists. Why are you lumping us together?
Communism should be grouped with Christianity, not Secular Humanism. Here's why: Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism and Maoism are simply religions like Islam and Christianity, but with human gods. Like Christianity, they are cults of personality with an allegedly larger-than-life übermensch serving as the object of worship and obeisance.
The Soviet, Chinese and Korean regimes to which you allude are just religions with human gods like Stalin, Mao and the Kims. Stalinism, Maoism, Islam and Christianity are all cults of personality that each feature worship, terrorism, the requirement for absolute obedience, and long histories of genocide.
Once again, from the Affirmations of Humanism:
"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
What is the biblical model for government? Does your god hold elections in heaven? Is there a heavenly bill of rights? No. Your god is a dictator, and he favors earthly absolute monarchs. And he also supports patriarchal households where women are subordinate like children, and slaves are to obey their masters. It's humanism that put an end to all of that with secular democracies, political freedom, egalitarianism, and the like.
Christianity fits in with the other authoritarian cults of personality, not secular humanism. It was Enlightenment values that defeated both the theocracies of the Middle Ages and their modern counterparts with human gods.
I see that as your perception. Humanist, is a why to try to sneak in to the American political door, for communist. We did not fall for it in the 60s and 70s, we won't start falling for it today. Your sort give away their attention right here. I am happy to say you are not a respected option. Even The Green Party has a better chance of going some where. Atheism as it is resented online is a cult of people with axes to grind against standard American society. You would all be better off coming out straight forward and addressing your true issues in stead of this silly dance around you do. As clear as day the answer to this tread "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" is yes, it does. It is foolish for anyone to even suggest otherwise.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180046 Oct 14, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
Only about 54% of USAmericans would vote for an atheist US president...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-mu...
Religion/atheism is divisive and outdated.
Religion = superstition
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHHAHHAAAHH, WHAHAHHAHAHAHA. I am crying with laughter. That was just too funny.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180047 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
By your laughing, I can only surmise you approved of those Nazi Jew killers.
This is not surprising, considering your display of hate.
He is laughing because you are a cry baby and idiot for making these statement. Why would we bake you, when we know The Devil is waiting to do it. No need for over kill.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180048 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
You do not read, do you?
In my final line? I allowed you **might** be two separate people.
And I pointed out how **sad** that would be if you were:
You each sound the same.
How pathetic--- you are so **shallow**, you are literally interchangeable with another hatetheist.
Let's not change the topic, bobbing Bobby, all you worm meat are posting with hidden location. Are you afraid I'll do my Pagan magic, find you, then bake you. And you call us superstitious.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180049 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>Seven Godly Sins
If god destroys people for not obeying him, it is WRATH
If god punishes people for believing in a different god, it is ENVY
If god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH
If god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY
If god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worshiping and praying to him, it is PRIDE
If god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED
If god intends on being party to every marriage, it is LUST
Oh don’t feel bad about what you did to Catcher1. Heck fire the same thing happened to Madeline Murray O'Hare. One day one of her good ole buddies just shot her dead. You Atheist are funny about such things.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180050 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Who cares either way?
YOU AND HE ARE SIMILAR.
You really don't know me. The thought of even running for local office has never crossed my mind.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180051 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
The above?
Is just the EXCUSE you have fabricated, in order to JUSTIFY your desire to murder all atheists for being "sub-human".
You are **exactly** like the Nazis, who saw humans as so much trash to be disposed of.
Judging by what I read online, they may have been murdered for being a bunch of jerkoffs that had to have the last word all the time. Nazi's had to kill someone they captured too many. They were lucky they could feed their own troops.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180052 Oct 14, 2013
<quoted text>
???
Are you sure? I did get some negative stuff from him, in response to a few posts I did a couple of days ago-- the negative was god-laced.
If he was being sarcastic or I misunderstood, then I will apologize.
I would swear I saw him post god-positive stuff the other day.
You know you sound like part of the Salem Witch unt show I took in while I was there. Too funny.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180053 Oct 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you referring to me? If so, I apologige profoundly for offending your sensibilities by disagreeing with you. I presume that is what you mean by "insulting people." I didn't realize how fragile your belief system was.
Perhaps you would prefer to share your Good News about your victory and the power of Christ in a more protected environment like a church where nobody would challenge or disagree with you.
Very backwards post. It are The Atheist nations that don't offer challenge. Here we permit all to have churches. Even Atheist.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180054 Oct 14, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't believe in any of that science-y stuff about how earth came to be, but you believe that your god wasn't created by anyone or anything and that your god created man from a a mound of clay and woman from a man's rib.
Um...okay.
I really don’t care one way or the other how science thinks the earth was made. It makes absolutely no difference to me at all. What I do believe the earth is very old.

I believe God made man, engineered and designed man. And out of a portion of Adams rib he made Eve. Inside the rib of a human is not only DNA but stem cells. Ribs are the only part of a human that will regenerate. If a portion of a rib is cut away. It grows back new.

I don’t believe at this time in the evolution of mankind. The evidence simply is not there when one actually delves into looking for evidence. Lots of theories, and artist conceptions but real hard evidence is a bit scarce.

Evolution itself is full of giant holes in it’s theory. How does evolution account for male and female? Which was first to walk the earth, male or female?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180055 Oct 14, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So you consider being seen to blatantly lie as flattery, wow you must be christian.
Does people commenting on you portraying yourself as an ignorant lying godbot count as flattery? Because this is truth.
BTW you would not comprehend truth if it sat on your face and farted
And you still abused the memory of my grandfather so that you can feel good about you own delusion
Just because you slope your shoulders, shrug and ignore the facts does not make the facts disappear. You created the post, TRUTH, it is a matter of public record TRUTH, and we can see that proves that you do your best to lie, TRUTH
So don’t thank me, just don’t lie about your foul and ignorant BS
Godbot, that is very flattering, and having someone whom denounces The Great Jesus Christ, and calls him false and a lie, insult me. It does, me and my family proud. I really am all choked up. A person that admits he has no soul calling me ignorant and other condescending words. You couldn't make me more happy. Godbot, I really don't think I am worthy, but thank you, all the same.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180056 Oct 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Did you find a place to wind up that bug with a key?
Now that you mention it, that might make a great toy for Christmas!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 - 32,252
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 4 hr Science 854
Religion sux ? 4 hr Eagle 12 - 4
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Science 77,044
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 11 hr Dogen 4,321
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... (Dec '16) 23 hr Frindly 291
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Sun Eagle 12 - 12
More from around the web