Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Jul 18, 2009 Read more: Webbunny tumblelog 237,660
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#179587 Oct 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
Now define energy. Just what is energy is? Not the math thingy, but the real thingy.
Sorry, but math is the language we use to help us understand the world. We calculate the energy in a consistent way and we find that the results of that calculation are the same for different times. In other words, that computed quantity is conserved. The same works for momentum, angular momentum, charge, etc. For each, there are set ways to convert observations into calculations. And we find that the results of the calculations are consistent.

If you want to understand the universe, you need the language of mathematics.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#179588 Oct 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When anyone posts something that is evidence for a claim it IS meaningful. You are too funny in your refusal to post anything at all that could be considered evidence. First you say it would be a waste of your time, then it's I won't be able to comprehend this evidence, its one failure after another. You can't even define what this soul thing is. You have it but others don't. I'll ask you some very simple questions, and I'll bet you either refuse to answer them or, you are unable. I'll choose UNABLE.
1.) Define in simple terms exactly what constitutes a soul.
2.) Is this soul a physical part of our, or yours anyway, body?
3.) Are we all born with a soul?
4.) If not born with a soul, what is the procedure for acquiring one?
5.) Why do you have a soul and others do not?
6.) For those without a soul, in what way are they different?
7.) Is there a significant advantage to having a soul over not having one? What are those advantages?
8.) Once you have a soul can you ever lose it? If so how?
Now I'll sit back and wait for your twisting and turning every which way in order to avoid answering these very simple questions
I will answer your 8 questions, from post #179508 on page 8616 . Again, I all ready know you are not respectfully asking these questions. I have all ready noted your are soulless, therefore your condescending comments only displays your sub human ways.
1) An energy that travels as it wishes, frequently choosing to host a human body
2) yes, an energy with in you
3) No, unless you want to call many people a liar
4) the soul enters the pregnant woman, some have reported dream.
5) Just not enough energy to support all of the universes intelligent life.
6) people like yourself would never cooperate for such experiment. as clearly seen here you people have no respect for sciences that say we do have souls, and I won't waste my time posting them
7) The soul lives another life after this life
8) I do think that is possible

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179589 Oct 10, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you post your real name, address and phone number ?
Goddam Hypocrite!
I post my real name but there are those that were involved with current events here at topix, that have accused me of being a fame seeker. I take current events more serious than worm meat. AND! I did not call anyone a coward.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179590 Oct 10, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
How wrong and yet another godbot lie, truly expected.
You are the one who LIED, you are the one who insulted the memory of my grandfather for no other selfish and cowardly reason than the hope of gaining yourself extra god points
Do you actually realise how STUPID and deliberately ignorant making such lies in public reflects on you?
I love you calling someone a ____bot, you who proudly stated you will respond to my every post. It is stunning how stupid you are. OK now respond wormmeatbot

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179591 Oct 10, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot prove anything to a person not willing and able to be convinced by a proof. It is necessary that you be able to understand the proof, which is why I could not prove the Pythagorean theorem to toddler, and that you be willing to be convinced by compelling evidence supported by a compelling argument, which is why Christians reject proofs of their god's nonexistence.
For example, it's easy to demonstrate to an open mind that no omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent god exists to watch over us and protect us. The human condition rules out that possibility. If there are gods, they either don't know us, can't help us, or don't care enough to do so. Only people committed to believing otherwise reject such an argument.
Want more? Of course you don't. But here it is anyway:
Perfection doesn't allow for change, since either the before or after state would have been less than perfect. You cant change the shape of a perfectly straight line or perfect circle without making it imperfect. Likewise, a perfect god couldn't create anything or even think anything without losing perfection.
Here's more evidence of your god's nonexistence:
If your god existed, it wouldn't tolerate blasphemy, its church wouldn't be withering away, it couldn't have been expelled from grade schools, its intelligent designs would be unmistakeable, the bible's creation myth wouldn't have been so incorrect, and there would be only one religion, which wouldn't even be recognized as religion - just more science.
Don't you think that it's a little insincere for faith based thinkers to argue about proof since evidence and proof are of little interest to them? They don't require it of the things they believe, and when the evidence contradicts those faith based beliefs, they ignore it. What else do we have to offer to prove anything apart from evidence and reason to which the closed mind is as impervious as Superman is to bullets? How can even that which is provable be proven to such a mind?
"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt.Ē- Mike Huben
I am not a Christian. Your post just shows good reason for people to never vote for an atheist.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179592 Oct 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Is this one of your gifts or fruits of the spirit - the ability to discern what motivates people that you suggest are unable to do the same regarding your motivations?
<quoted text>
Why do you hate atheists?
[I think that I must just have gotten the gift myself.]
I don't hate you, I just would never vote for your political agenda. It's a free country, you are entitled to your freedom of religion. With enough control of the government, I don't believe you would afford us such freedoms.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179593 Oct 10, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
Oh how Jesus of you.

You BORE FALSE WITNESS to me, in a vain attempt to silence me.

You cannot REFUTE my arguments.

So you stoop to lies instead.

How Jesus.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179594 Oct 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, go do your laundry, and use soap this time.
You did not explain why there are 40,000 DIFFERENT flavors of "christian".

Why is that?

Each flavor claims to be THE ONE AND ONLY.

Yet? There are more than 40,000 and the number keeps going UP.

Why?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179595 Oct 10, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me what God could've done to Hitler to prevent WW2
There were quite a number of assassination attempts-- any one of those would have succeeded if just the right chance events had worked out.

But your god?

Stood idly by-- ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN.

But it is WORSE than that: Hitler was a painter before he became a politician.

He frequently (in his younger days) stood on the top of ladders-- a little crack in the wood? And Hitler dies an unknown.

Did your god do THAT?

Nope: your god stood IDLY BY, allowing it to happen.

YOUR GOD IS 100% RESPONSIBLE.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179596 Oct 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God didnít stop Cain from killing his brother Able. Men have had the power to make war and always have.
Then?

Your god is not ALL POWERFUL, is he?

If mere MEN can THWART HIS "PLANS"?

That means your god is ...

... just a janitor... a caretaker...

... AND NOTHING MORE.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179597 Oct 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, go do your dishes, and for crying out loud do something about all those roaches.
Stop.
Either your god is IN CHARGE or your god IS NOT.
If he IS?
HE COULD EASILY HAVE PREVENTED WW2 in the FIRST place.
If not?
He's not a god.
WHICH IS IT?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179598 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer your 8 questions, from post #179508 on page 8616 . Again, I all ready know you are not respectfully asking these questions. I have all ready noted your are soulless, therefore your condescending comments only displays your sub human ways.
1) An energy that travels as it wishes, frequently choosing to host a human body
That's not energy--that is magic bullshyt. So right at the beginning you start with the bullsht.

Proof of this "magic"? No?

The rest of your bull is dismissed unread.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#179599 Oct 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but math is the language we use to help us understand the world. We calculate the energy in a consistent way and we find that the results of that calculation are the same for different times. In other words, that computed quantity is conserved. The same works for momentum, angular momentum, charge, etc. For each, there are set ways to convert observations into calculations. And we find that the results of the calculations are consistent.
Not really, Poly. You only need the language to read your Holy Mathematical Scriptures.

Energy is a something "physical". All you are presenting are math equations. Energy is a fuel.

In the real physical world heat is generated when a load is placed upon a force. What has "energy", but has zero heat?

“Get it right”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#179600 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I love you calling someone a ____bot, you who proudly stated you will respond to my every post. It is stunning how stupid you are. OK now respond wormmeatbot
Are you seriously scared of typing the letters god?
christINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#179601 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>

6) people like yourself would never cooperate for such experiment. as clearly seen here you people have no respect for sciences that say we do have souls, and I won't waste my time posting them
never know,
What scientific experiment can prove souls existence?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179602 Oct 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, without some math we could never understand how big or small anything ever was.
Bongo

Nesconset, NY

#179603 Oct 10, 2013
<quoted text>
There's that famous Christian misanthropy.
Everything that exists or happens is to the credit or shame of any omniscient, omnipotent creator. Is your god that?
Stop excusing your god's failures. He screwed up making the angels, he screwed up making man, and he screwed up when he tried to correct that screw up using the same breeding stock.
But Gods failures are better than the greatness of mortal man.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#179604 Oct 10, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> But Gods failures are better than the greatness of mortal man.
Gods failures are the basis of all human understanding.

“Get it right”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#179605 Oct 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods failures are the basis of all human understanding.
If there were an all-powerful god, then there would be neither god-successes nor god-failures; there would simple be god actions since everything would be done exactly as decried without possibility of deviation.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#179606 Oct 10, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
If there were an all-powerful god, then there would be neither god-successes nor god-failures; there would simple be god actions since everything would be done exactly as decried without possibility of deviation.
You forget where god lives.

In the mind of those who believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min Chimney1 18,433
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 4 hr thetruth 23
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr thetruth 1,979
News The Consequences of Atheism 4 hr thetruth 1,249
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr thetruth 6,726
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr thetruth 276
News Barney Frank Advises Politicians to Stay in the... Thu thetruth 13
More from around the web