Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,604)

Showing posts 172,061 - 172,080 of223,170
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Little Blue Alien wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet you've put many things 'behind you' too.
What does a chicken and a gay man have in common?
They both love cockfighting!
COCKA-DOODLE-DOO!!!!
What is it, with you Genuine Christiansô and your obsession with gay sex?

Hmmm?

I think you are trying to compensate for your own secret fantasies.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering the company of people I have tht you accuse of lying and being evil, thank you.
Until and if you prove your hate-god is real?

You are, in fact, a liar.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so absolute. You are a Fundamentalist.
Nope.

I just fight fire with fire.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait minute you admitted to having a clergy many pages ago
Nope. That was you-- fantasizing.

And lying-- I cannot forget that you LIE pretty much 100% of the time.

But you are a horrid person; I bet you have no friends.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, thank you for your sincere rebuttal. Mr. Hawkins
Who?

Who is this "Hawkins" you keep writing of-- there is no such a person.

You've been schooled on this one multiple times.

Yet?

You keep repeating the deliberate error....

... why?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think you overkill requesting proof, in many cases you should know better. The there is "no" evidence of UFOs was the latest and greatest. Some of your questions, suggest you should be reading not writing. The atheist that use to post online had enough respect for the topic and themselves to post a question like "Could you, Prove souls to me?" They would not belittle themselves with the claim that there is zero proof of that, and they would be aware of experiments showing souls do have a weight, according to those that feel they have proven it. In stead of answering such buffoonery, I strongly advise your expanding your reading.
Souls have been proven? I take it you can link me to the scientific literature on the subject?

No?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

You and I can agree something big happened in the cosmos at some point and time. Mr. Hawkins believes that matter always existed, just started coming together after trillions and trillions of years floating in the vacuum of space.
That's... not what happened.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next stepóknown as a theoryóin the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.
You are laboring under gross misinterpretation of the word THEORY. Notice in the above the fact that the hypothesis is supported with REPEATED TESTING. If enough EVIDENCE.........accumulated. It becomes accepted as a VALID EXPLANATION.
You seem to think a Theory is simply some scientists best guess. It goes way beyond guess work.
Well Doctor, How do you explain the 20 plus theories on how life started on the earth? All of them are supposed to be supported hypothesis.

And when you get into theories involving cosmology. How in the hell are you going to recreate that in a lab? So here we have unsupported hypothesis. Granted there are some scientific observations but those observations donít resolve the issues of how it all started.

This is why the science of cosmology is full of theoretical philosophers, which is what Hawkins happens to be. Now we have gone beyond scientific study into an area of faith like a religion. Doctor you have cosmology religion based on philosophy.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It can't be recreated because the energy level is far beyond any particle accelerator yet devised. But the conditions up to
the period after the initial expansion can be simulated.
Hawking is a theoretical cosmologist and a astrophysicist, he deals in much beyond your ability to understand. The fact you do not understand doesn't make his hypothesis invalid. It doesn't make them correct, but it does give us his idea of how it IS possible. He has made a few very significant discoveries, that has advanced our understanding of the universe. With black bodied radiation , black holes and he developed a mathematical proof for black holes. He proved Einstein's theory of general relativity. Through math and science, Stephen redefined the Big Bang theory. Also Stephen Hawking proved the universe has no boundaries.
I think he has a little more than hocus pocus, it's called math and physics, and the science of the universe. Many people understand his work, many study his work. He has been a credit to humanity, the fact he does not believe in god, and can show how this universe could be created without one threatens your belief to the core. Which means...you're afraid of him.
Hawkins contributions in science falls into the philosophy section. He is a dreamer and thatís what it all amounts too. Has any of his stuff advanced medicine or science for mankind? No, because itís irrelevant.

Name some hard spin offs directly attributed to Hawkins so called discoveries. Something that dramatically changed life on the earth or in space. His stuff is Nil, itís a box car of theoretical philosophy. Nothing he claims is tangible.

Itís all unproven hocus pocus rhetoric. But who believes it and takes it to the bank? You Atheist. A homeless man living under a bridge in New York has had the same contribution and probably just as good observations on space as Hawkins.

Find some spaced out dope head living in the desert of New Mexico. He can give the same unproven, mumbo-jumbo about relativity but with a little more humor.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Who?
Who is this "Hawkins" you keep writing of-- there is no such a person.
You've been schooled on this one multiple times.
Yet?
You keep repeating the deliberate error....
... why?
Whatever his name is because it doesnít matter. His contribution to science is nil.

Stephen Hawking, the space philosopher, dreamer, theoretical physicist and cult leader. All his so called contribution to science is imaginary.

All he has done is rallied a cult following and thatís it. Heís just a mascot like some schools have a bull dog for a mascot. Thatís all he is a freaking mascot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Doctor, How do you explain the 20 plus theories on how life started on the earth? All of them are supposed to be supported hypothesis.
And when you get into theories involving cosmology. How in the hell are you going to recreate that in a lab? So here we have unsupported hypothesis. Granted there are some scientific observations but those observations donít resolve the issues of how it all started.
This is why the science of cosmology is full of theoretical philosophers, which is what Hawkins happens to be. Now we have gone beyond scientific study into an area of faith like a religion. Doctor you have cosmology religion based on philosophy.
How I envy you.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In science there can be more than one hypothesis. And I seriously doubt there are 20 theories on how life started on Earth. The most accepted answer is biogenesis. Life from non-living. Science is pretty sure that biogenesis is possible they just don't know the exact details just yet.

You do know that it is perfectly acceptable to say "I don't know" Once again when you say I don't know the journey of investigations begins. Only when you think you have the absolute correct answer does the investigation cease. What exactly would you have science do, stop all investigation, abandon all the Theories, and simply say as you, It's so complex that it is beyond understanding so God MUST have done it?

The science of cosmology is far from theoretical philosophy, and those who do the investigation do so using science not philosophy, where did you get such a lame ass idea? I don't know who Hawkins is. I always thought he was a character in the story Treasure Island. Stephen HAWKING, is the cosmologists who has turned that science on its ear with his discoveries.

I've posted this before but you apparently missed it. When science fails to have the answer, which happens frequently, God is inserted into that gap. Its an argument as old as mankind, its called THE GOD OF THE GAPS. Here is how it works. There was a time when Thunder and lightning were believed to be cause by an angry God, and a time when sickness was attributed to demons, or witches, or an angry God, were volcanos, earthquakes and tsunamis, were caused by God. In each and every case, science discovered the real answer. Static electricity for thunder storms, germ theory for illnesses, plate tectonics for volcanos, earthquakes and tsunamis. All of these answers pushed the God explanation out of the way. if this is how you want to play this game of Goddidit, then be prepared to watch as your God becomes an EVER RECEDING POCKET OF SCIENTIFIC IGNORANCE. Science WILL discover how to create life from non-life....God is pushed out of the way..........The answer as to how our universe came to be will be discovered at some point........God is pushed out of the way. One hundred years from now, with science answering so many questions that could only be answered with God, God will become totally unnecessary for most of us. Oh, there will be the hangers on who will shout and preach and beat their chests and proclaim God is still the answer. But these are the same people who now reject science because it conflicts with there dogmatic beliefs. Sound familiar? What a sweet day that will be, and then maybe our species can begin to remove all those religious barriers that have kept us apart for thousands of years. Just think, a new beginning for mankind, one without the divisiveness and hatred that religion spawns.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Youre an idiot, if you think you freaks can give it and not get it back youre mistaken. You are the hatheist.. You are a typical member of a small minority of the irrelegious
Thank you again for showing us how hateful you and your religion is

and what is a hatheist ?(hat heist?)

/I'm proud to be irreligious!

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism doesn't have a foundation

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the liar with no proof of god, scared of atheists because he knows they're right.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor little passionate and pouting Christine. Her emotions override her intelligence.
You speak words without understanding them. You obviously don't understand the meaning of those formulas you put forth as self evident truths. You can only see them as words, not as processes.
Your formula is what you get in a bottle. A closed system. The same thing as a battery powered toy you are a part of. You can't see beyond it.
But something gave you that ba ba or wound you up. You are a derivative of that "first cause". No matter what it was. The formula was not the cause, just a very rough description of transfer of energy caused by it.
Not long ago there was news on the internet about the strange sounds from the sky. This has been explained "scientifically". Disturbances in the atmosphere, largely from the EM effects from the cosmos. You are living in a drum, sweetness. That atmosphere is mass and energy and the same thing as a drum head. Displace some of that mass and its bindings via valence bonding and gravity and it sends waves through the atmospheric medium. It then strikes your eardrums. There has been studies of how cosmic bodies produce "sound". It is a physical fact of physics and the transfers of energy.
So "God", the first cause of our causation, "can" talk to you. You just need to learn the difference between "communication" and "noise".
I would suggest you spend some time with an elderly gentleman in SE Colorado to learn how to do such. We could start with some gentle words whispered in your ear, then who knows, you may find God after all of this time.
:-)
There ya go again, projecting emotions where you have difficulty understanding a concept.

Of course I understand them you numbskull, do you really think I am as stupid as you.

And for some reason you seem to apply the same implied stupidity to Einstein.

It looks like itís a survival trait of yours to make stupid and irrelevant claims when you are incapable of comprehending a subject.

Let me explain, E=MC^2 helps to describe just about any and every action when energy or matter is required. I.E. the energy required to press a key on your keyboard, the amount matter to convert to energy to power your computer or your internet connection. Right through to the energies realised in the big bang itself. And of course if you are classing the universe as a bottle then yes, it is a closed, infinite system. A destination that is no doubt beyond you intellect. Even if there ever was an infinite amount of energy then because some energy has been converted to matter that energy by definition can no longer be infinite therefore the term omnipotent (infinite power) cannot apply in this universe. I find it highly amusing and so typically hypocritical that you actually use the energy and matter described by E=MC^2 on a daily bases to po-po E=MC^2.

Yes the atmosphere is air and air vibrates to frequencies. Are you claiming this as a new scientific phenomenon? WowÖ

Or perhaps you are mistaking the CMB, that is yet ANOTHER evidence that proves (and validates other methods) of how our universe was created, no god involved.

What you suggest as a davesworld indoctrination course is a sad indication of your comprehension and understanding of who I am. However if you can provide evidence that your old pervert in SE Colorado is in some way qualified to teach the subject of davesworld metaphysics then perhaps there would be some people would want to listen.

Though I doubt it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
you spelled christianity wrong!!...its christINSANITY
Sorry, I am dyslexic.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawkins contributions in science falls into the philosophy section. He is a dreamer and thatís what it all amounts too. Has any of his stuff advanced medicine or science for mankind? No, because itís irrelevant.
Name some hard spin offs directly attributed to Hawkins so called discoveries. Something that dramatically changed life on the earth or in space. His stuff is Nil, itís a box car of theoretical philosophy. Nothing he claims is tangible.
Itís all unproven hocus pocus rhetoric. But who believes it and takes it to the bank? You Atheist. A homeless man living under a bridge in New York has had the same contribution and probably just as good observations on space as Hawkins.
Find some spaced out dope head living in the desert of New Mexico. He can give the same unproven, mumbo-jumbo about relativity but with a little more humor.
This is your personal opinion, since you reject science
if is a fallacious one. I already told you his contributions to science. His opinion is different from yours about how the universe was created. That takes nothing away from his contributions to hard science, nor does it make them irrelevant. Your inability to understand that is your mistake.
Basically it's like you are telling the mechanic how to fix your car when...you have no idea what's wrong with it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just a fountain of misinformation, making all your condescending comments, compliments. Thank you.
Oh sorry, did I misunderstand that you said and I quote ďyou never find an atheist in a foxholeĒ My grandfather was atheist, he fought in (ALL of) WW2 and alongside US forces in Korea so that deliberately ignorant people like you could enjoy the freedom to LIE about them.

Or did I misquote the DEFINITION of atheism? NO

Or did I misquote the FACT that Stalin was born into a christian family, was raised to be (and tipped for) priesthood. And after he consolidated his position began rebuilding the christian church in Russia? NO

Or did I misquote that Mao was a Budhist and nationalist? NO

Or did I misquote that Pol Pot was catholic educated? NO

And did I misquote that Hitler was christian, the Reich had a papal ambassador, that Hitler did what he did because of his belief in Jesus and that he has NEVER been excommunicated? NO

Or that christianity uses certain words contrary to there definition and history? NO

So what misinformation? Or perhaps you are LYING for you god again.

And still you have not had the balls to apologise for LYING about my grandfather. Tell me, are you christian by some odd chance, it seems that christianity teaches that LYING for their god is the right way to worship their god

You must be aware that christianity teaches that satan is the father of lies, please tell me how long you have been worshipping satan?

Honey, when you abused the memory of my grandfather by LYING for your god you made an enemy. You can claim that is condescension if that helps you sleep at night but none the less you need to accept it like then man you are not that your own ignorance and hatred are the product of the person you are.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool, Bobbing Bobbies' Boyfriend is Back.
Alas, your wheel is spinning furiously but the hamsters been dead for years.

Sir Robert has been a long time friend.

I don't believe I have never responded to a post of yours before Mr. Stephens

Be advised...

Satan fears me! ;)

He shudders, soils his suit, rams his horns into a Christian sinner and laments...

"Imhotep's awake! Grrr...
That irreligious bastard!

I just do not understand it!

Every evil I heap upon him slides off like pimples on an Italian!

Goddamnit, he pisses me off.

Allah forgiving my temper.

Constantly mocking my existence with common sense and those damned FACTS.

I begged, in fact pleaded with my alter ego - Jesus, for a lightning bolt or something...

Jesus can't even light Imhotep's joint!

How dare this venomous human taunt me!

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Sacrilege! Liar! I won.

< Everything is so green>

Now I'm hungry and everything here is burnt to "hell in a hand casket" :(

What in the <hell> is a evil demon to do... in the face of reality?

One day... I'll promise...
I'll kick his ass... provided he believes that I exist."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 172,061 - 172,080 of223,170
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••