Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 242954 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#179249 Oct 6, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you, ok. I don’t always believe people here on topix. But I believe what you are saying is truth. I had a neighbor behind my house on the next street. His daughter died at a young age. After that he turned Atheist.
I have been spared these type of tragedies. We have had some close calls but they always turned out ok. My oldest granddaughter was hit by a truck barreling down the street. She rode her bike out into the street and the truck hit her and she landed on the hood.
She was ok but it scared the driver nearly to death. I mean he had the shakes real bad. It took him a while to calm down. Bad things happen to good people sometimes. We are made of flesh and blood. Our bones and hearts can be broken.
I won’t bore you with all the other close calls we’ve had. I have been blessed, you know that’s all I can say about that. Gods word doesn’t promise us a life without storms, tragedies, and even death.
None of us are immune from these things. Even King David lost a dearly beloved son and God didn’t spare that child. And David prayed for a miracle but God didn’t do it.
It's called magical thinking and a symptom of e mental illness of faith.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179250 Oct 6, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. I like young people.
Call me "avuncular".
I'm going to be a grandfather, come about April.
Yea![guns shooting in the air!]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179251 Oct 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What questions? I really do not read most of your stuff, you know.
There is no point in reading your ugly.
Seriously, there isn't -- you never say anything worthwhile.
Bob, go do your laundry. And put a iron on those freaking clothes you leave in the dryer.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179252 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Atheism is simply no faith in stupid shyt like gods.
That's it.
There is nothing special about being an atheist:
YOU ARE AN ATHEIST WITH RESPECT TO ZEUS, for example.
So. EVERY TIME YOU EAT GREEK FOOD? Are you being some sort of "cannibal"?
No?
Good... do you get it yet?
You're not fooling me Bob, I know you believe in God.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179253 Oct 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called magical thinking and a symptom of e mental illness of faith.
How long has it been since your accident?

Location hidden

#179254 Oct 6, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of the mental illness of faith, is flat out denials that atheists even exist...

Location hidden

#179255 Oct 6, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How long has it been since your accident?
The only accident is you spilling your mental illness and projecting your faith based stupidity in this forum.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179256 Oct 6, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, go do your laundry. And put a iron on those freaking clothes you leave in the dryer.
That is not a question-- that is just a display of your hate for me.

How Jesus of you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179257 Oct 6, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a Greek-God atheist. You know you are.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#179258 Oct 6, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>I'll be 21 next May. I'm gonna go ahead and say younger.
Lol...yes you are much younger I'd say. Just wonderin.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#179259 Oct 6, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Godzilla? Erhmm.. What about you?
You may mean it as a joke, but it is likely scientist would like to experiment. I think they might be favoring single cell life and let the chips fall where they may, but I doubt they are that patient.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179260 Oct 6, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ohhh. I understand now. So you're saying that we send the robots to mars, who then time travel back to the present, who are actually the robot greys that we are seeing now and certainly exist and are in no way a sort of mass delusion? Right? We created the aliens!
OK now I know you are joking, but do understand the grey design is the perfect set up for a scouting android/robot.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179261 Oct 6, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll check into those books when I get a chance about souls. Thanks for the reference. Last, what is your belief system?
I am a Pagan/regressive. Karma does come. It is possible God's Karma is he or she must exist as a creature he created. I think God just lays down the single celled creatures in the Goldie Locks Zones, and permits all to play out. If that is correct. We were created by an advanced race.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179262 Oct 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You may mean it as a joke, but it is likely scientist would like to experiment. I think they might be favoring single cell life and let the chips fall where they may, but I doubt they are that patient.
How very .. sad for you.

You have zero understanding of science and scientists, this much is quite evident.

It's also clear you are highly jealous of scientists-- or else you would not do your damnedest to belittle them so.

Again? Sad.

But a little **ironic** too, considering without science?

Your computer you covet so much, would not even exist at all!

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179263 Oct 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
OK now I know you are joking, but do understand the grey design is the perfect set up for a scouting android/robot.
Oh, grow up.

The "grey design" is what you get from a human face, if you strip away color, detail, and other cues-- and leave the bare markings that define a face.

In short? If a human brain is not functioning at full capacity--say from oxygen deprivation, the parts of our brain that recognize faces would "see" these minimum features as a "face".

The fact that anyone can look at the front of an inanimate car, and see a "face" in the grille's design is an excellent example of this underlying brain-mechanism at work.

Studies have demonstrated this is an instinctive mechanism too-- infants will still respond positively to the bare-minimum of a face, such as your "grey design" face.

It means nothing, other than our sub-brain is trying to "recognize" a face out of random visual noise.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179264 Oct 6, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think the same. If I do not believe in something, I couldn't spend hours of my life chatting about it. Two things that are consistent with the contemporary online Atheist.

1) They constantly make blogs that suggest it is just them and christards. The idea of someone believing in God but straying from the standard Christian God, is just a story posers make up.

2) As a result of one and other various statements they consistently post. They actually support The Fundamentalist Christian. An anti-casual observer sort of thing.

There is a question, the anti-atheist ask.

Can you be an atheist and not be a fundamentalist?

My answer is. Incomplete. If believing the online atheist were the only atheist I would say "No". I would say "Yes" but how do I know that the atheist I talk to in person, don't go online and sound like Bob and the rest of the gang here.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179265 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
How very .. sad for you.
You have zero understanding of science and scientists, this much is quite evident.
It's also clear you are highly jealous of scientists-- or else you would not do your damnedest to belittle them so.
Again? Sad.
But a little **ironic** too, considering without science?
Your computer you covet so much, would not even exist at all!
LOL!
I admit I envy them, I really don't see how I belittled them. The truth is there may be no perfect answer. And that is the first thing they will confess. I am curious, what was belittling about that post?

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#179266 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh, grow up.
The "grey design" is what you get from a human face, if you strip away color, detail, and other cues-- and leave the bare markings that define a face.
In short? If a human brain is not functioning at full capacity--say from oxygen deprivation, the parts of our brain that recognize faces would "see" these minimum features as a "face".
The fact that anyone can look at the front of an inanimate car, and see a "face" in the grille's design is an excellent example of this underlying brain-mechanism at work.
Studies have demonstrated this is an instinctive mechanism too-- infants will still respond positively to the bare-minimum of a face, such as your "grey design" face.
It means nothing, other than our sub-brain is trying to "recognize" a face out of random visual noise.
I saw tits not a face? Wheres the face?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179267 Oct 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh, grow up.
I think more about the body than the facial design. Skinny lengthy arm, which have ben reported as being strong. Those long slim arms and fingers are perfect for reaching into spaces. If I am right the arms may be able to go on for miles, and capable of gripping smaller objects. Which is good for seeking out unpredictable terrain.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#179268 Oct 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
A joke? Nothing could be more serious than godzilla on mars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Chimney1 19,739
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 1 hr Brian_G 6,159
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 9,152
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 17 hr Thinking 15
Atheists have morals too! Sun par five 3
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Sun QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,280
More from around the web