Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
171,521 - 171,540 of 226,246 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178820 Sep 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it fascinating how many of these "Christians" go to church every week with so much hate in their heart.
I don't think they even understand their own religion...
Well-- it is quite likely that they feed that hate **from** the church they attend.

I've witnessed hate-filled sermons direct from the pulpit myself; it's an ugly thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178821 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t concede very easily. This is only one exception so savor the moment.
That is your **pride** talking.

Ironic.

Luke 18:9-14
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself:'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said,'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178822 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first viewed the Grand Canyon in 1963 it left a incredible impression on me. I knew at an early age this canyon took millions of years to be created. The Bible by the way doesn’t list the age of the Earth. I went back in 1996 with the family and it was just as beautiful.
So you freely admit that your bible is just a collection of fairy tales, then?

Good!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178823 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
What evidence did you found that made you become an Atheist? I'm just curious.
Evil.

I have yet to read a godbot's claims about the god they purport to worship, that did not include "god is good" in there somewhere.

But the very existence of wide-spread evil in the world that is applied without consideration to the guilt or innocence of the victim, is ample proof that if there **is** a god out there?

Such a god is utterly without compassion for those who suffer and die because of indifferent, widespread evil.

Evil that could easily be prevented by ... a god.

Can you explain this **fact**?

No?

Interesting.

I will bet that you will run away like the coward you are-- without bothering an answer.

----------

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
~ Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178824 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck on getting them to answer that one with any level of intelligence.
Here's my answer:

Evil.

I have yet to read a godbot's claims about the god they purport to worship, that did not include "god is good" in there somewhere.

But the very existence of wide-spread evil in the world that is applied without consideration to the guilt or innocence of the victim, is ample proof that if there **is** a god out there?

Such a god is utterly without compassion for those who suffer and die because of indifferent, widespread evil.

Evil that could easily be prevented by ... a god.

Can you explain this **fact**?

No?

Interesting.

I will bet that you will run away like the coward you are-- without bothering an answer.

----------

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
~ Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178825 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever did any of your own research on the subject of evolution of man?
Looking at the actual evidence and not the artist conceptions, speculation, assumptions, and guesswork?
Proof of evolution: http://www.talkorigins.org/
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178826 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you shouldn’t be because it probably is bringing in revenue for the State and supplying jobs for some people.
Nope, wrong again. Kentucky has given this place a 75% tax break in property taxes. And has kicked back another 43 million in state taxes. It only employes about 300 people, not much of a impact in the unemployed. The state must also pony up an other 11 million to improve a highway interchange near the site All of this after the state made cuts to education and pay freezes to it's teachers and state workers. Totally disgusting.

Here is what The National Center for Education has to say about this ridiculous museum:

"Students who accept this material as scientifically valid are unlikely to succeed in science at the college level." Right, how to prepare our younger generation for the challenges ahead. As discouraging as this is, it still has some value as it further demonstrates how religion poisons everything.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178827 Sep 30, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
an amusing daisy chain of opinions :-)
peace
I asked in a previous post if you care to examine each of the factual points I made about your God. I haven't seen that you have acknowledged any of these, so I'll take it that you either agree or simply have no ammunition.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178828 Sep 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it up you can't prove those two points. It is a waste of your time.
I just proved it and it wasn't a waste of my time at all. It only took a few min. to prove your God is totally imaginary. Now would you care to prove that he is NOT imaginary Use the same criteria I used, it's called REALITY!!!! Good luck.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178829 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
Yes, Atheism requires as much faith as religion. I would like to ask an Atheist a question.
What evidence did you found that made you become an Atheist? I'm just curious.
Try to remember that the word FAITH is a religious term. FAITH is the permission that Theists give to each other when no evidence is available They will also tell anyone who will listen that because there is a lack of evidence for God that FAITH is required.

You also have to be intelligent enough to understand the difference between a POSITIVE CLAIM, an assertion, and a NEGATIVE claim. One REQUIRES proof, the other does not. It is the person making an assertion, a POSITIVE claim that God exists, that shoulders the burden of proof. Countless times the Theists tries to shift this burden of proof on the non-believer, that is called an argument from ignorance.

"What *evidence* did I find that made me an Atheist?" It was the LACK of any verifiable evidence that convinced me that all Gods exist only in one's imagination, and nowhere else. It helped my position a great deal by reading the bible. Seeing religion as a divisive force to our species, and the mind altering dogma that accompanies it, to the point where people reject known facts because it conflict with their beliefs, further showed me how damaging and poisonous religion really is

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#178830 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I just proved it and it wasn't a waste of my time at all. It only took a few min. to prove your God is totally imaginary. Now would you care to prove that he is NOT imaginary Use the same criteria I used, it's called REALITY!!!! Good luck.
You can't prove that life is not Just a dream." Nothing here could be proven. You are a fool to act like you have.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#178831 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I just proved it and it wasn't a waste of my time at all. It only took a few min. to prove your God is totally imaginary. Now would you care to prove that he is NOT imaginary Use the same criteria I used, it's called REALITY!!!! Good luck.
well said.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178832 Sep 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't prove that life is not Just a dream." Nothing here could be proven. You are a fool to act like you have.
You're a fool for continuing to talk, when you have no proof of god.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178833 Sep 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do belief it to be the truth. I do believe in Past Life Regression. If you are interested in this subject I advice reading Michael Newton. My personal proof is good enough for me. You should read about it before doing it.
its egotistical nonsense. The world should not stop because cult members are suffering the effects of their mental illness. They should seek help, instead of seeking attention from atheists.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178834 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Tip: Try not denying evolution or condemning atheists to hell and your questions will get a faster response.
I have said repeatedly that I believe in microbiological evolution.

And I don’t send people to hell.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178835 Sep 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
So you freely admit that your bible is just a collection of fairy tales, then?
Good!
You really do need to try harder.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178836 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, wrong again. Kentucky has given this place a 75% tax break in property taxes. And has kicked back another 43 million in state taxes. It only employes about 300 people, not much of a impact in the unemployed. The state must also pony up an other 11 million to improve a highway interchange near the site All of this after the state made cuts to education and pay freezes to it's teachers and state workers. Totally disgusting.
Here is what The National Center for Education has to say about this ridiculous museum:
"Students who accept this material as scientifically valid are unlikely to succeed in science at the college level." Right, how to prepare our younger generation for the challenges ahead. As discouraging as this is, it still has some value as it further demonstrates how religion poisons everything.
Wow, that olace is rocken. Let's go see it.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178837 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a fool for continuing to talk, when you have no proof of god.
Ye of poor reading comprehension. The tread clearly states "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" It is you whom has to prove what can not be proven.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178838 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
its egotistical nonsense. The world should not stop because cult members are suffering the effects of their mental illness. They should seek help, instead of seeking attention from atheists.
Your response should be directed towards the person whom "asked" me the question. Which if you were a person of reasonable comprehension skills, you would have been able to figure out because the post I was responding to was above the post I made. NOT ONLY,!.... have I never suggested that Atheist here have a Past Life Regression or a Life Between Life session, I have actually stated, ATHEIST should not have such sessions, and the hypnotherapist would be wrong for giving an atheist such a session. If Haven to Betsy, you ever did read about the topic, you would find Atheist do not take well to PLR sessions and perhaps hypnosis in general. It's a cat and water sort of thing.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178839 Sep 30, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't prove that fairies are not real to a three year old, they are incapable of understanding reality, same with you. Sad to say, but true. Anyone who claims that we are living in a dream is completely out of touch with reality. Having an adult conversation with people who are out of touch with reality is in fact like trying to have a meaningful conversation with a three year old.

I listed 6 points that basically prove that your God is non-existent. I see you have not bothered to refute any of these six points. The best you can do and to say over and over, I can't prove it. This is how children argue, by the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 5 min PatrickisaCreatio... 27
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 6 min PatrickisaCreatio... 12
100% Faith Free 8 min PatrickisaCreatio... 9
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 10 min PatrickisaCreatio... 11
Our world came from nothing? 50 min CunningLinguist 402
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr CunningLinguist 21,498
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 12 hr USN Atheist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••