Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#178808 Sep 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
If you studied religion academically , bear in mind this does not mean religious study. It means to study religion from a anthropological pov, not judging them on any truth's to belief, but as an unbiased historical documentation of human religious and superstitious beliefs since the dawn of history. You will find that atheism is not a belief that requires faith. It is the knowledge of what religion really is, and what it has done to societies over history.
I mean think about it, the ancients who lived before the advent of Abrahamic beliefs built societies and flourished. Some of them were bad, some of them were good. Take the Greeks for instance, they had no concept of the god you believe in. Does that doom them all to an eternal hell for being evil?
You will discover religions, all of them were based on concepts of mythology nothing more. The Abrahamic beliefs are no exception, they are just the concepts "you" were trained to believe, nothing more. It doesn't make them any truer than the beliefs the ancient Greeks held. They are true to you only because "you" believe them.
The question is simple so try to answer it honestly.
Did god create us, or did we create god.
Thanks for the explanation! Anyways, how have you been doing?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#178809 Sep 29, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the explanation! Anyways, how have you been doing?
I say about a 6 on a 1-10 scale of the quality of life scale.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#178810 Sep 29, 2013
That's not too bad on a scale from 1-10... I'd say I'm about an 8. Maybe tomorrow will be higher :-)
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178811 Sep 30, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd prefer it be free and the education be correct.
Have you ever did any of your own research on the subject of evolution of man?

Looking at the actual evidence and not the artist conceptions, speculation, assumptions, and guesswork?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#178812 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
Yes, Atheism requires as much faith as religion. I would like to ask an Atheist a question.
What evidence did you found that made you become an Atheist? I'm just curious.
Me?
I read the Bible.
Cover-to-cover.
More than once.

That's all it takes.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178813 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looking at the actual evidence and not the artist conceptions, speculation, assumptions, and guesswork?
Tip: Try not denying evolution or condemning atheists to hell and your questions will get a faster response.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178814 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
Yes, Atheism requires as much faith as religion. I would like to ask an Atheist a question.
The evidence is that you're all liars that cannot provide proof of the god you made up.

You know this and that's why you write books and build buildings to keep the lie going.

You're at the same time too stupid to understand how science works and how is already had disproved your own little world you made up and believed while growing up.

Now as an adult to protect that fragile psychological cage, you tell lies about god to keep your ego from caving into the realisation that god isn't real and that there is no absolute form of justice in the world.

Or you could just tell the truth and admit you're atheist and don't believe in made up rubbish.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#178815 Sep 30, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Lets take your last statement first. This demonstrates you are a moral weakling. Non believers are in denial regarding their responsibility to their fellow human beings and their responsibility to God.
Atheism in the disease called denial. Atheism is like alcoholism. As long as the alcoholic continues to deny their alcoholism they can continue to drink in excess. As long as the atheist is in denial about God they can continues to behave in ways which are reprehensible and hypocritical expecting moral behavior from others and exempting themselves. How big does one have to be to be fixated on the sins of others and at the same time blind to their own?
Good question.

YOU tell ME.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#178816 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
No, atheism doesn't require faith at all.

Don't worry. Most theists that come here make that same mistake.

I became an atheist the moment I became human. I was not yet old enough to evaluate evidence.

How many deity claims did you evaluate before deciding which one to believe in? Did you at least explore 50% of them?

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#178817 Sep 30, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with that whatsoever ;) I knew it was off topic, but I was curious. If you don't mind me asking... why do you claim reincarnation as truth, and not just a belief?
Yes, I do belief it to be the truth. I do believe in Past Life Regression. If you are interested in this subject I advice reading Michael Newton. My personal proof is good enough for me. You should read about it before doing it.
Thinking

UK

#178818 Sep 30, 2013
Flu jabs.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

UK

#178819 Sep 30, 2013
So you are saying that religion is an addiction.

One way to avoid becoming addicted is not to experiment with religion in the first place. When dealing in religion is made illegal, will churches become backstreet speak easys?

If you have fallen off the wagon and become addicted to religion again, there are people that can help you.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Lets take your last statement first. This demonstrates you are a moral weakling. Non believers are in denial regarding their responsibility to their fellow human beings and their responsibility to God.
Atheism in the disease called denial. Atheism is like alcoholism. As long as the alcoholic continues to deny their alcoholism they can continue to drink in excess. As long as the atheist is in denial about God they can continues to behave in ways which are reprehensible and hypocritical expecting moral behavior from others and exempting themselves. How big does one have to be to be fixated on the sins of others and at the same time blind to their own?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178820 Sep 30, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it fascinating how many of these "Christians" go to church every week with so much hate in their heart.
I don't think they even understand their own religion...
Well-- it is quite likely that they feed that hate **from** the church they attend.

I've witnessed hate-filled sermons direct from the pulpit myself; it's an ugly thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178821 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t concede very easily. This is only one exception so savor the moment.
That is your **pride** talking.

Ironic.

Luke 18:9-14
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself:'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said,'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178822 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first viewed the Grand Canyon in 1963 it left a incredible impression on me. I knew at an early age this canyon took millions of years to be created. The Bible by the way doesn’t list the age of the Earth. I went back in 1996 with the family and it was just as beautiful.
So you freely admit that your bible is just a collection of fairy tales, then?

Good!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178823 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
Evil.

I have yet to read a godbot's claims about the god they purport to worship, that did not include "god is good" in there somewhere.

But the very existence of wide-spread evil in the world that is applied without consideration to the guilt or innocence of the victim, is ample proof that if there **is** a god out there?

Such a god is utterly without compassion for those who suffer and die because of indifferent, widespread evil.

Evil that could easily be prevented by ... a god.

Can you explain this **fact**?

No?

Interesting.

I will bet that you will run away like the coward you are-- without bothering an answer.

----------

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
~ Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178824 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck on getting them to answer that one with any level of intelligence.
Here's my answer:

Evil.

I have yet to read a godbot's claims about the god they purport to worship, that did not include "god is good" in there somewhere.

But the very existence of wide-spread evil in the world that is applied without consideration to the guilt or innocence of the victim, is ample proof that if there **is** a god out there?

Such a god is utterly without compassion for those who suffer and die because of indifferent, widespread evil.

Evil that could easily be prevented by ... a god.

Can you explain this **fact**?

No?

Interesting.

I will bet that you will run away like the coward you are-- without bothering an answer.

----------

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
~ Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178825 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof of evolution: http://www.talkorigins.org/
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178826 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you shouldn’t be because it probably is bringing in revenue for the State and supplying jobs for some people.
Nope, wrong again. Kentucky has given this place a 75% tax break in property taxes. And has kicked back another 43 million in state taxes. It only employes about 300 people, not much of a impact in the unemployed. The state must also pony up an other 11 million to improve a highway interchange near the site All of this after the state made cuts to education and pay freezes to it's teachers and state workers. Totally disgusting.

Here is what The National Center for Education has to say about this ridiculous museum:

"Students who accept this material as scientifically valid are unlikely to succeed in science at the college level." Right, how to prepare our younger generation for the challenges ahead. As discouraging as this is, it still has some value as it further demonstrates how religion poisons everything.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#178827 Sep 30, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
an amusing daisy chain of opinions :-)
peace
I asked in a previous post if you care to examine each of the factual points I made about your God. I haven't seen that you have acknowledged any of these, so I'll take it that you either agree or simply have no ammunition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 14 min Save This Nation 2,266
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 2 hr Thinking 28
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr Thinking 119
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Thinking 23,178
God' existence 2 hr Thinking 57
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 1,442
Atheism does not exist at all 3 hr thetruth 4
More from around the web