Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,555)

Showing posts 171,081 - 171,100 of217,124
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Since morality predates your religion, prove it.
<quoted text>
Prove evangelistic atheism ?
Lots of posts but no proof of atheist religion of the 2% in America ;-)
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
First, which god? There are around 3700 gods documented of which 2400 are said to have omnipotence as is claimed of the abrahamic god.
Second, Easy, morality is a condition that existed long before any god was thought of. There are some animals that hold to a type of morality and no god is involved. Certainly, without morality civilisation would not exist and therefore there would be no need to invent gods
However reglutards of all types have tried to claim morality as their own and in the same way as they misrepresent the meaning of the word truth (and so many other words), they misrepresent the meaning of the word morality. May I suggest educating yourself by looking up the meaning of the word on google, you will notice that the definition has bugger all to do with any god. While you are at it you could do the same for “truth” and you will notice it is not what you believe to be true or sounds like it could be true to you but what is actually true.
Given that you consistently lie about the term morality (and reading your post, so much else) I can only consider myself, as a person labelled atheist by such as you, to be considerably more moral than you could ever be.
Amusing as making up figures to support atheist philosophy.
Lacking proof of anything, atheist religion tries to use statistics
LOL

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing as making up figures to support atheist philosophy.
Lacking proof of anything, atheist religion tries to use statistics
LOL
Glad you were amused but hey, nothing made up, just pure and simple fact.

You want a list of gods, here is a page that links you to some
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities

and this one list over 3700 http://www.godchecker.com/

As does this christian debate forum http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtop...

And here is a definition or two for the word morality
Google –
Morality
1 Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
2 Behavior as it is affected by the observation of these principles.

Oxford dictionary
Morality
* principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour
* particular system of values and principles of conduct:a bourgeois morality
* the extent to which an action is right or wrong

Mirriam Webster
beliefs about what is right behavior and what is wrong behavior

: the degree to which something is right and good : the moral goodness or badness of something

Referance.com is the only one I can find with a refeance to any religious implications of morality and they stop short of attributing it to a particular religion, they state in definition 4 “doctrine”
1.conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
2.moral quality or character.
3.virtue in sexual matters; chastity.
4.a doctrine or system of morals.
5.moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.

So lets consider my post, there are factually over 3700 documented gods, so not made up

Tell me do you often make such a fool of yourself in the name of your god?
Then the definitions of morality only consider doctrine as important enough to mention on rare occasions and in actual context, i.e. not in the context loved by so many christards
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, people keep using it because it works.
Plus, it makes you look like a tool...
flying Spaghetti Monster of atheist religion
still unproved on thread.
Many attacks on religion but no proof of atheist religion ..some denial which amuses

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Ooops not sure if it was topix or me that screwed up, probably me, anyway the last couple of paragraphs are out of order and should have read

So lets consider my post, there are factually over 3700 documented gods, so not made up

Then the definitions of morality only consider doctrine as important enough to mention on rare occasions and in actual context, i.e. not in the context loved by so many christards

LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you were amused but hey, nothing made up, just pure and simple fact.
You want a list of gods, here is a page that links you to some
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities
and this one list over 3700 http://www.godchecker.com/
As does this christian debate forum http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtop...
And here is a definition or two for the word morality
Google –
Morality
1 Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
2 Behavior as it is affected by the observation of these principles.
Oxford dictionary
Morality
* principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour
* particular system of values and principles of conduct:a bourgeois morality
* the extent to which an action is right or wrong
Mirriam Webster
beliefs about what is right behavior and what is wrong behavior
: the degree to which something is right and good : the moral goodness or badness of something
Referance.com is the only one I can find with a refeance to any religious implications of morality and they stop short of attributing it to a particular religion, they state in definition 4 “doctrine”
1.conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
2.moral quality or character.
3.virtue in sexual matters; chastity.
4.a doctrine or system of morals.
5.moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.
Open a book :-)

University of Google and Youtube not convincing.
Funny you count Gods, amusing and fun to read your posts.
Keep posting!!!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
flying Spaghetti Monster of atheist religion
still unproved on thread.
Many attacks on religion but no proof of atheist religion ..some denial which amuses
Um...there's no proof of "atheist religion" because there is no atheist religion.

All atheism is is the lack of belief in deities.

Glad to help.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Open a book :-)
University of Google and Youtube not convincing.
Funny you count Gods, amusing and fun to read your posts.
Keep posting!!!
Good grief, its like you're channeling Yoda...learn to write.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Prove it.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot prove anything to you, your reasoning is faulty and precludes me doing so.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Because goatfuckers only invented your god 2,600 years ago or thereabouts.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How can morality predate God?
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Talking bollocks Lincock is.
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

I don't believe in your god because like Santa Claus, there is no evidence for it being real.

But why don't you believe in Vishnu or Thor?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The old Santa Claus argument.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, where do you get your morality from?
I get my morality from KNOWING that treating people as I would want to be treated is a very sound idea. That my actions have a direct effect on others and that I am responsible for my actions. I don't need a God to tell me that raping my neighbors daughter is a really bad idea. I would know how damaging it would be to me if the same was done to a member of my family. In the end societies determine morality, not God.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Omniscience denies free will?
So you knowing that someone driving a car into a wall at 100 miles an hour will kill them makes you responsible for their death, you knowing what would happen removes their free will?
Seriously, you really believe that?
I am NOT an omnipotent being like your God is supposed to be. Could I see the future and KNOW this car would crash, and had the ability to change the course of action, I would absolutely change the outcome.

Either your God KNOWS the future or he doesn't. Either he KNOWS what will happen or he doesn't. Either your course has been laid out or not, Would you like to say that God does NOT know what course you will takes through life? For if that is the case then your God is NOT al powerful and becomes totally worthless.

Also you failed to address my first point about free will being in direct conflict with the word *free*
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How can morality predate God?
The human species has been o this planet for some 200,000 years. Your God thing only decided to present himself to us a mer 2,000 yeas ago. That means that for 198,000 yeas mankind has found a way to decide what morality they would embrace. Remember each segment decides their own morality. Seems certain that mankind would have become extinct if they simply ran around murdering and raping at will.
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove

Atheist

Philosophy

<laughing>
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Read carefully, as an atheist you have no basis for morality.
You have no absolute standard if right and wrong.
If you do, share what it is.
"You have NO standard for right or wrong." Certainly you can't be this stupid. I'm an Atheists and have been for a great many years. Many of my friends are Atheists, as are my children. To date not one of us has murdered anyone, nor have we robbed or raped anyone. Why do you suppose that is if we have no morality? It's important that you answer this question.

If what you say is true then we should be reading everyday about Atheists murdering and raping, robbing and torturing. We should see a huge number of domestic violence incidences perpetrated by Atheists. I'll tell you what we DO see, and that is a huge number of domestic violent incidences committed by Theists, especially in the bible belt. Do a little research and you'll finds it is actually an epidemic. So much for your warped theory about Atheist morality. While your at it, check the religious affiliations for the U.S. prison population, you'll find a very low percentage of Atheists and a huge percentage of Theists. Once again, the evidence for your ridiculous claims finds the opposite to be true. Those with religion DO NOT act a moral as those without.

I have posted this before, I am more moral than the God you worship for I have NOT killed anyone, nor do I condone slavery and rape.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
Negative or positive is irrelevant.
"When debating any issue, there is an implicit burden of proof on the person asserting a claim. If this responsibility or burden of proof is shifted to a critic, the fallacy of appealing to ignorance is committed"

Of course you a wrong once again, this is the position accepted by all those who understand basic philosophical principals. As you can see there is a huge difference between a POSITIVE CLAIM and a NEGATIVE CLAIM.

You really need to educate yourself before coming here and making a fool of yourself. Familiarize yourself with Bertrand Russell's celestial teapot argument, hopefully you'll be intelligent enough to understand the difference between a positive statement and a negative one.
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>"You have NO standard for right or wrong."

Certainly you can't be this stupid.

I'm an Atheists and have been for a great many years. Many of my friends are Atheists, as are my children. To date not one of us has murdered anyone, nor have we robbed or raped anyone. Why do you suppose that is if we have no morality? It's important that you answer this question.
If what you say is true then we should be reading everyday about Atheists murdering and raping, robbing and torturing. We should see a huge number of domestic violence incidences perpetrated by Atheists. I'll tell you what we DO see, and that is a huge number of domestic violent incidences committed by Theists, especially in the bible belt. Do a little research and you'll finds it is actually an epidemic. So much for your warped theory about Atheist morality. While your at it, check the religious affiliations for the U.S. prison population, you'll find a very low percentage of Atheists and a huge percentage of Theists. Once again, the evidence for your ridiculous claims finds the opposite to be true. Those with religion DO NOT act a moral as those without.
I have posted this before, I am more moral than the God you worship for I have NOT killed anyone, nor do I condone slavery and rape.
Still no proof of atheist philosophy.
"Mumbo jumbo" person attack instead and "Malarkey" as we Irish observe.
LCNLin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Still no proof of atheist philosophy.
"Mumbo jumbo" **personal** attack instead and "Malarkey" as we Irish observe.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 171,081 - 171,100 of217,124
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••