Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178051 Sep 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No... that has been discredited. This "luke" character wasn't the **actual** author of Luke. Rather, that book was written by someone using his name, to increase the credibility.
Sorry.
Your lack of a credible reference is all I need to know.

And I donít see a self proclaimed theologians who are atheist masquerading as biblical experts as being credible. Sorry itís going to take more than a home boy Atheist to win over anyone.

I see this all the time. Atheist claiming they are some sort of biblical authority. When in fact they couldnít get to first base on bible baseball with 6 year olds as their opponents.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178052 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen with my own eyes miracles as a result of prayer. Not maybe or kinda like a miracle but real live miracles. These miracles are so unimaginable that I canít even share them with you because you would swear I was lying.
I have learned from the past to not share them with Atheist. The miracles didnít happen every week or even every month. One or two a year but after many years the numbers start to add up.
Not miracles of hearsay but I actually witnessed them. I have also learned thereíre millions of people like me that have also witnessed actual miracles. Iím not alone, thereís more than you can count that believe.
Let me ask you this:

Let's say, that miracles **do** happen.

Let's say, that praying for them **works** to make the miracle happen.

WHY WOULD ANY GOD WHO COULD (AND CARED), REFUSE THE PRAYER OF A PARENT FOR THE LIFE OF THE NEWBORN INFANT?

Or one better: an infant CARE-GIVER, like a pediatric NURSE, praying for the life of a dying newborn.

It just doesn't get any more UNSELFISH than that sort of prayer-- the nurse has NOTHING to gain by a positive answer.

Yet?

Newborns die in Religious hospitals EVERY DAY-- IN SPITE of the pleas of the Faithful to this ...

... UNCARING ...

... "god" of yours....!

What?

The?

EFF?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178053 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I have strong memories of sitting in church as a child, listening to the sermons.
There was a flash of insight, though, during one sermon: I was in my early teens, listening to the preacher go on and on about a subject he had no clue of: planetary science.
I have always loved science-- I followed NASA as a child, and avidly watched all the moon stuff on TV.
But that moment? The preacher was flat wrong in his sermon-- he had all the planets' orbits wrong, he was clueless about orbital dynamics.
And I had a flash of insight: this preacher could not **possibly** be a "man of god": HE WAS LYING. FROM THE PULPIT.
There was no excuse, either-- his lies were so blatantly WRONG. Any Junior High science textbook could have set him straight.
And that was likely the FIRST step down the road of no more faith.
What sort of god would allow such BLATANT LIES, from a representative of god?
Hmmm?
You were a lot better listener than me thatís for sure. I was thinking about dinner, lol.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178054 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't bother-- because all modern Biblical scholarship agrees with me: the author of "Luke" wasn't the same man as the character in the various gospel tales.

Only those who refuse any and all facts say otherwise.

For one thing?

The gospel was written LONG AFTER these people had died.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178055 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
When in fact they couldnít get to first base on bible baseball with 6 year olds as their opponents.
LOL!

I used to play the Bible Quiz game, back when I was still a True Believerô.

I was quite good-- I once had most of the 4 gospels memorized.

Thankfully, old age has dimmed those horrid memories, so that I can no longer quote chapter/verse like I used to.

In that case? Forgetting is a blessing...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#178056 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh, my.... his expression in that picture?
Looks **exactly** as if he'd prefer the person he was holding was someone else....
... perhaps of a different gender?
He really did look uncomfortable in that photo, didn't he?
Well, Bob. If he wants to cast her off, I'll be there to catch her. Imagine where my hand would be in that picture and the look on her face.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178057 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have had sworn testimony, with Saint Paul's notarized signature on the velum, and you **STILL** would cling to your myth.

That is why it's called "blind faith"...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178058 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking to me as if for 27 years I was being a Christian "wrong". I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. Even if effort is made there is no evidence of a god...there is only the thin thread of faith and hope that you are correct that you cling to (as did I).
It does take faith no doubt. There are those that are deep inside the faith and others that linger on the outside.

Honey Bees for example during cold weather gather up close together. Those on the outside freeze and die. Those on the inside live on. Like faith there are those on the outside who grow cold and fall away.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178059 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You were a lot better listener than me thatís for sure. I was thinking about dinner, lol.
I tried and tried to listen to those long-ago sermons.

I really did-- I was told, repeatedly, that the pastor was "put there by god, to guide us in our faith".

But, I realized on that most memorable day, that **I** a lowly TEENAGER, new far-far more about space and the planets than this... "god's guide" could ever hope to.

And I had to ask: what sort of god would have allowed such a man, to ***LIE*** like that to everyone there, and GET AWAY with it?

I didn't like the only possible answer-- so I put those thoughts aside for many years.

... it took another 15 years before they re-surfaced in my mind.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178060 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
G'night Eagle 12.

I've a warm bed, and a mystery novel calling my name.

See you tomorrow-- I've enjoyed sparring with you.

You made me .. think.

A nice change.

:D
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178061 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Let me ask you this:
Let's say, that miracles **do** happen.
Let's say, that praying for them **works** to make the miracle happen.
WHY WOULD ANY GOD WHO COULD (AND CARED), REFUSE THE PRAYER OF A PARENT FOR THE LIFE OF THE NEWBORN INFANT?
Or one better: an infant CARE-GIVER, like a pediatric NURSE, praying for the life of a dying newborn.
It just doesn't get any more UNSELFISH than that sort of prayer-- the nurse has NOTHING to gain by a positive answer.
Yet?
Newborns die in Religious hospitals EVERY DAY-- IN SPITE of the pleas of the Faithful to this ...
... UNCARING ...
... "god" of yours....!
What?
The?
EFF?
We shall all die. Everyone that is born is going to die. Itís part of the life process. I have not suffered the loss of a newborn in my personal life nor has anyone near me.

I know it happens and many are saved through modern medical science. If you ever visit some of the old cemeteries that go back into the 1800ís. You will notice a large percentage of baby graves.

I hate it when children die. I hate it even more when children are abused by adults. Mistreated, starved, beaten, hated, locked in cages.

Death is a threshold we shall all enter into, both young and old, great and small.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178062 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I really did-- I was told, repeatedly, that the pastor was "put there by god, to guide us in our faith".
But, I realized on that most memorable day, that **I** a lowly TEENAGER, new far-far more about space and the planets than this... "god's guide" could ever hope to.
And I had to ask: what sort of god would have allowed such a man, to ***LIE*** like that to everyone there, and GET AWAY with it?
I didn't like the only possible answer-- so I put those thoughts aside for many years.
There are some bad ministers and some that are exceptional. Itís more than delivering a sermon but being on call 24/7 every day of the year. Itís the phone ringing at 2:00am because someone was in a car wreck.

Counseling families, couples, performing weddings and funerals. Itís visiting the elderly in nursing homes. Being involved in the community. Making daily hospital visits praying and encouraging the sick.

Then thereís the counseling the teenager that ran away. Helping a Mom and Dad to understand itís going to be ok their daughter is pregnant at 17. Itís work, a lot of work. Thereís more work than what one man or woman can do.

Despite all that people expect them to be cheerful, happy, and above all perfect. People can have unreal expectations.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178063 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
G'night Eagle 12.
I've a warm bed, and a mystery novel calling my name.
See you tomorrow-- I've enjoyed sparring with you.
You made me .. think.
A nice change.
:D
I have too Bob, goodnight.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

SŲdertšlje, Sweden

#178064 Sep 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolute statement?
Yes prayer doesn't work amputees don't get new arms,legs
Bongo

West Babylon, NY

#178065 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I feel bad for you Bob, years of recovering from an abusive church. You cant put your trust in man. There is one you can put your trust in.
Thinking

UK

#178066 Sep 22, 2013
You're still wrong, Twart. The lines from us to Neptune and Pluto are roughly at a right angle.

You're the one that is "past" it!
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>What percentage of the time is that wrong?
Nearly 50%.
So I don't really think you're an authority on "Pluto's place", twart.
50%. LMFAO
What a dolt!
"Is Pluto sometimes closer to us than Neptune?
Because Pluto has an orbit around the sun which is very elliptical, there are times when it crosses Neptune's orbit and is actually closer to the sun than Neptune. This happened recently during a twenty year period from 1979 to 1999. For now, Pluto is back to being farther away from the sun than Neptune. It will be more than 230 years before Pluto and Neptune trade places again. Pluto slips inside of Neptune's orbit once every 248 Earth years for a period of twenty years."
That's less then 10%.
What a nut job.
Oh and it will be 230 more years that I'm right with my comment.
Ya you sure showed me. Bawhahaha

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#178067 Sep 22, 2013
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2013/09/16/tr...

People on here should be aware of my interest in EM. Something that developed quite independent of the above link. Intuition with an understanding of things on my part, but these guys are backing it up with the science.

Watch the video link at the bottom of the article.

The universe, and history, are a lot more dynamic than has been portrayed by the dull statist gravity math headed geeks wanting your worship and cash.

Understand that if the earth passes through a plasma cloud there will be a lot of changes because of the energy level and ionic differences. Our neutral matter will become energized and chemical processes will occur along with the good old mass shifting. This happens on a continuing basis now just from the solar wind, but spikes from the sun or passing through plasma fields that wander through accelerates the process. Remember we are covering a lot of territory in our revolving around the sun and its revolving around the galactic center. About an estimated 250 million years worth. Plus the galaxy's movement.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#178068 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading your comment, my thought went back to Helen Keller (June 27, 1880 Ė June 1, 1968). The famous author who went deaf and blind at 1.5 years old.
Helen Keller wrote a letter to a Rev Phillips Brooks. In this letter she says she knew there was a God but didnít know his name. As a fact she didnít know the name of anything. She knew, even in the silent darkness there was a God.
If she had been an Atheist and wrote she did not believe in a God and men donít have souls. Atheist would be all over that. Using her comments to their advantage. But here was a woman shut out of the world with the exception of feeling. And she knew there was a God.
You did not answer my question. But then again, that was to be expected.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#178069 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In all of Jesus ministry. He never once criticized a medical doctor. Nor did he scorn people for going to see one.
In fact one of the early disciples who worked with the Apostle Paul was a physician. It is believed Luke even treated Paul as a patient. He was described as the ďbeloved physician,Ē by Paul.
Dr. Luke went on to write one of the four gospels in the New Testament. The book of Luke.
A very simple request --Answer the question. On the other hand - I will answer any question you would like me to do so.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#178070 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>No....and he was never found when I was.
You must have been looking wrong then, as plenty of others have not had that much difficulty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 28 min ChristineM 2,222
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Thinking 23,171
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr _Bad Company 1,437
God' existence 16 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 16 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 16 hr Geezerjock 1
Australia: black magic pervert retard 18 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 19 hr ChristineM 366
More from around the web