Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177692 Sep 20, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It was never moral to own another human being. It wasn't then, and it isn't now.
Don't you see the logical contradiction which exists in your head? In a world without God in which rights are derived from men you really have no objective basis to make a moral judgement on slavery since men determined these things. Your judgement carries no more weight than your opinion. Their is far more valid because they handled the circumstances as they did based on their time and circumstances. Slavery to them was an act of mercy. Better to be a slave than to be dead. As they used to say,''Better red than dean.''
I can't even believe that I read what I just read from you. It's freakin disgusting that it took so long to end slavery and for you to sit here and act like it was always ok just shows what Of selfish, self absorbed person you are!
your reaction is emotional and personal. There is nothing logical in any of it. Seems you are so crippled by emotions you cannot look at it dispassionately or historically.
The fact being stated was that it is in the bible and your god is written to have more than ok'd it and it is not right or moral or just! I will not discuss this further with you so don't expect me to respond to anything that you could possibly say to this post.
It was regulated for the benefit of the slave. I believe i already pointed that out. You won't discuss this further because you cannot without looking like a loser. Your emotional outrage is pure bluster.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177693 Sep 20, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you see the logical contradiction which exists in your head? In a world without God in which rights are derived from men you really have no objective basis to make a moral judgement on slavery since men determined these things. Your judgement carries no more weight than your opinion. Their is far more valid because they handled the circumstances as they did based on their time and circumstances. Slavery to them was an act of mercy. Better to be a slave than to be dead. As they used to say,''Better red than dean.''
[QUOTE]I can't even believe that I read what I just read from you. It's freakin disgusting that it took so long to end slavery and for you to sit here and act like it was always ok just shows what Of selfish, self absorbed person you are! "

your reaction is emotional and personal. There is nothing logical in any of it. Seems you are so crippled by emotions you cannot look at it dispassionately or historically.[QUOTE] The fact being stated was that it is in the bible and your god is written to have more than ok'd it and it is not right or moral or just! I will not discuss this further with you so don't expect me to respond to anything that you could possibly say to this post. "

It was regulated for the benefit of the slave. I believe i already pointed that out. You won't discuss this further because you cannot without looking like a loser. Your emotional outrage is pure bluster.
You look at it however you want to bud...your judgement and opinions let me know where your moral stance is and emotional reaction or not, it's still pretty sick. I will not be discussing it further because I don't like talking to someone who thinks that everything that is history is ok because it happened in history. It was not ok then, and it would not be ok now. That is fact no matter what the circumstances are...no human should be able, and should have never been able to think that it's ok to try to own another human.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177694 Sep 20, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly ignore the obvious definitions that are, as i said, from rhe Merriam Webster dictionary (the most highly used) and are cut and dry so I don't wish to discuss this any further with you....you make up your own rules and that's fine, but it is not correct. I don't desire to put anything in your head except for fact and that is what I've given you. You are ignoring them and changing the definitions of words to suit your wishes. I will not stoop to that.
I see all the statements of the dictionary supporting my argument. The posting here at topix is your Atheist ritual. You defend your beliefs in a religious manner. The church of Atheism has been erected and attended. Your denying is just you showing your faith. You, yourself know arguing without proof of fact is a sign of faith. The Atheist Church is a fact. Yet you go on. If I say otherwise, that church will still be there.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177695 Sep 20, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You look at it however you want to bud...your judgement and opinions let me know where your moral stance is and emotional reaction or not, it's still pretty sick. I will not be discussing it further because I don't like talking to someone who thinks that everything that is history is ok because it happened in history. It was not ok then, and it would not be ok now. That is fact no matter what the circumstances are...no human should be able, and should have never been able to think that it's ok to try to own another human.
If you were a spiritual, soul baring, believing sort. More so a Regressive, as I am. I would think on the other side you would be a prosecutor sort. There are those that address The Elders requesting stiff Karma. The younger souls get edgy about such things. The older ones just wish to manifest again.

There are a few sort of Atheist, that are so for various reasons. It's your path. I have all ready given more details than I should. For the purpose of online conversation. I will just take your word for your situation, and more often than not, that will be the truth. I think you would be best off respecting that truth for all.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177696 Sep 20, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> For an atheist to blame God for slavery is akin to blaming the tooth fairy for cavities.
YES! YES!

BOTH ARE 100% FAIRY-TALES!

Good... you are **finally** learning after all this time.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177697 Sep 20, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yup.
So you admit your god isn't real?

GOOD!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177698 Sep 20, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Why is slavery wrong? Why is slavery not o.k.?
Because we (humans) SAY it is.

That's all you need for THAT.

Are you seriously this dumb, or did you take special stupid lessons?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177699 Sep 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not trying to convince US.
He's trying to convince himself.
**exactly**

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177700 Sep 20, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Don't you see the logical contradiction which exists in your head? In a world without God in which rights are derived from men you really have no objective basis to make a moral judgement on slavery since men determined these things.
Don't you see the logical contradiction which exists in your head?

In a world without the Tooth Fairy, in which teeth and cavities are derived from men, you really have no objective basis to make toothy judgement on cavities since men determine these things.

<laughing at you now>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177701 Sep 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I see all the statements of the dictionary supporting my argument.
You **also** think that Past Life Regression is a real thing.

You see **lots** of things which are not real.

<laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177702 Sep 20, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a spiritual, soul baring, believing sort.
Still waiting for your proof of this "soul" thingy.

A thing for which you are unable to even **describe**, let alone prove it's real.

Apart from your severely corrupted imagination, of course.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#177703 Sep 20, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Don't you see the logical contradiction which exists in your head? In a world without God in which rights are derived from men you really have no objective basis to make a moral judgement on slavery since men determined these things. Your judgement carries no more weight than your opinion. Their is far more valid because they handled the circumstances as they did based on their time and circumstances. Slavery to them was an act of mercy. Better to be a slave than to be dead. As they used to say,''Better red than dean.''
<quoted text> your reaction is emotional and personal. There is nothing logical in any of it. Seems you are so crippled by emotions you cannot look at it dispassionately or historically. <quoted text> It was regulated for the benefit of the slave. I believe i already pointed that out. You won't discuss this further because you cannot without looking like a loser. Your emotional outrage is pure bluster.
You think killing the slave was OK?

Maybe fun even?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177704 Sep 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You think killing the slave was OK?
Maybe fun even?
If his god tells him to?*

I have no doubts at all, he would murder his neighbors....

* obviously, since his god is pure imagination, this would be schizophrenia or worse. But there you go: faith **is** evidence of brain damage.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#177705 Sep 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If his god tells him to?*
I have no doubts at all, he would murder his neighbors....

Was it because the church wouldn't let you have a relationship as a grown man with a 15 year old girl?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#177706 Sep 20, 2013
You judge people Bob but how does it feel when you are judged?

By the way, you don't have to answer the last two questions. It's better that way for the audience.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#177707 Sep 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
By the way, you don't have to answer the last two questions. It's better that way for the audience.
Dude, I thought you were dead, or gone.

I thought you had reached the end of the trail, or rode off into the sunset.

Whaddup?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177708 Sep 20, 2013
<quoted text>
You **also** think that Past Life Regression is a real thing.
You see **lots** of things which are not real.
<laughing>
It's a lot better than your reality. In fact your reality is the worse.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177709 Sep 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Because we (humans) SAY it is.
That's all you need for THAT.
Are you seriously this dumb, or did you take special stupid lessons?
Being a slave, is not as bad as to have to face your fate. Hell is not that bad either. Thank God you are wrong.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177710 Sep 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Still waiting for your proof of this "soul" thingy.
A thing for which you are unable to even **describe**, let alone prove it's real.
Apart from your severely corrupted imagination, of course.
If you had one you would know it. I don't see why you keep posting this my answer won't change. I don't get why you keep asking someone questions when for whatever reason you do not believe their answers. Then when I point out you are socially challenged I am mean, or when you respond and it is not close to what I was saying, I mock your comprehension, that is mean of me also. My favorite was when you told me "I was calling you subhuman when I said you don't have a soul." Yet you were the one that started this "You have no soul" finger pointing. I am happy to say I know you are wrong.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177711 Sep 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I think Bob would be best off if he first learned to lose his hatred for the Christian/Catholic religion. Once he gets on with his life he could find a workshop of some sort, most likely it would be amongst youths, where he could work on his comprehension skills. From my readings of his post, his hatred consumes him to a level, that basic comprehension is a challenge. As much as I like my idea, I think Bob's hatred will not permit it. Instead he will remain the crying loser he is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Patrick 1,024
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr nOgOd 4
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Eman 22,934
Heaven 5 hr Patrick 7
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Patrick 5,938
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr _Bad Company 724
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 hr Jaimie 154

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE