Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256562 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#176838 Sep 8, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>...
I can't imagine claiming to have no beliefs and talking about it as frequently as you do.

He's "committed".

xD
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176839 Sep 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweden rejects atheism.
You are amusing
Spoken out of ignorance, how did you get so very stupid. Sweden is in FACT the NUMBER ONE most Atheists country in the world. 85% are Atheists. Now don't you feel incredibly stupid?.........Yeah, I thought so.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176840 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Jingos stay in your head longer than your trumpet blaring.
Tell you what. Bring a couple of cans of boiled peanuts and I will attend one of your park concerts. I'll just turn my deaf ear towards you. The look of bliss on my face while eating boiled peanuts and my ear turned toward you may attract another human to stop by to see what is going on, then you can say you have an audience.
Deal?
I only do a few park concerts a year, you missed both of them sorry. It would have been nice for you to attend one as you would finally realize how interesting and vital real music is. I know you might have had trouble deciphering what constitutes a melody, and certainly the harmony would be way above your ability to comprehend, but I think with time and a little effort o your part you might just come around, although I doubt it. You've been listening to rot gut music for so long, your ears are not refined enough to hear anything other than children's music.

I do believe we had somewhere in the vicinity of 15,000 people attend the last park concert we did. I played with a really good blues band on the Boston Commons, sorry you missed it.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#176841 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Spoken out of ignorance, how did you get so very stupid. Sweden is in FACT the NUMBER ONE most Atheists country in the world. 85% are Atheists. Now don't you feel incredibly stupid?.........Yeah, I thought so.
" As of 2012, about 67.5%[1] of Swedish citizens are members of the Church of Sweden, compared to over 95% in 1970, and 83% in 2000."

"According to the Eurobarometer Poll 2010,[3]

18% of Swedish citizens responded that "they believe there is a god".

45% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force".

34% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force".

According to the Eurobarometer Poll 2012,[3] the religions in Sweden are the following

Protestants 41%
Orthodox 1%
Catholics 2%
Other Christian 9%
Buddhist 1%
Other 3%
Atheist 13%
Agnostics 30%"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Swed...

Then you have the sizeable Muslim immigrant population.

You should feel stupid, but I fear you lack the ability.

BTW, did you notice atheism was classified as a religion? Hah Hah.

La Veta, CO

#176842 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I only do a few park concerts a year, you missed both of them sorry. It would have been nice for you to attend one as you would finally realize how interesting and vital real music is. I know you might have had trouble deciphering what constitutes a melody, and certainly the harmony would be way above your ability to comprehend, but I think with time and a little effort o your part you might just come around, although I doubt it. You've been listening to rot gut music for so long, your ears are not refined enough to hear anything other than children's music.
I do believe we had somewhere in the vicinity of 15,000 people attend the last park concert we did. I played with a really good blues band on the Boston Commons, sorry you missed it.
Free beer?

You are just so archaic, hidebound, and blinded by your ego.

You want to enslave the youth to your way of thinking. You want to stifle their creativity and growth.

Baaad Blacklagoon!

That may be the way you did it back in '06, but that was 1906. It's a new day, a new age. You should retire.

You are not kewl, dude.

You are square, Daddy-O.

Stumbling around in the dark with your tired old eye.

Your theme song. Someone else had to write it for you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176843 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
" As of 2012, about 67.5%[1] of Swedish citizens are members of the Church of Sweden, compared to over 95% in 1970, and 83% in 2000."
"According to the Eurobarometer Poll 2010,[3]
18% of Swedish citizens responded that "they believe there is a god".
45% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force".
34% answered that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force".
According to the Eurobarometer Poll 2012,[3] the religions in Sweden are the following
Protestants 41%
Orthodox 1%
Catholics 2%
Other Christian 9%
Buddhist 1%
Other 3%
Atheist 13%
Agnostics 30%"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Swed...
Then you have the sizeable Muslim immigrant population.
You should feel stupid, but I fear you lack the ability.
BTW, did you notice atheism was classified as a religion? Hah Hah.
It's a well known fact that many Atheists conceal their atheism due to legal and discrimination issues. Pew research estimates that as many as 20% hid their Atheism due to those concerns. So in light of that finding we have 46% of the country having no belief in God, factor in the 20% of silent Atheists and we have 67% non-believers.

I see they have OTHERS also as a religion, 3%. I think I'll join the religion of OTHERS,.........ha ha ha ha .....what a moonbat you are!!!!
LCNLin

United States

#176844 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It's a well known fact that many Atheists conceal their atheism due to legal and discrimination issues. Pew research estimates that as many as 20% hid their Atheism due to those concerns. So in light of that finding we have 46% of the country having no belief in God, factor in the 20% of silent Atheists and we have 67% non-believers.
I see they have OTHERS also as a religion, 3%. I think I'll join the religion of OTHERS,.........ha ha ha ha .....what a moonbat you are!!!!
amusing misuse of statistics ....

"Scratch an atheist and out POPS an agnostic"..
as the old saying goes
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176845 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Free beer?
You are just so archaic, hidebound, and blinded by your ego.
You want to enslave the youth to your way of thinking. You want to stifle their creativity and growth.
Baaad Blacklagoon!
That may be the way you did it back in '06, but that was 1906. It's a new day, a new age. You should retire.
You are not kewl, dude.
You are square, Daddy-O.
Stumbling around in the dark with your tired old eye.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UTBvw-orhmgXX
Your theme song. Someone else had to write it for you.
Free concert, but no free beer, sorry.

I love it when you speak in ignorance. You have no idea what or how I teach. Do you really enjoy making yourself look foolish? I have had many student tell me that I have opened creative doors for them that they never knew existed. There is only ONE way numbnuts, creativity doesn't change from year to year, but what would you know about the creative process. Compositional techniques are the same now as they were 50 years ago, the discipline nerve changes.

Thanks for your concern but my eyes are fine, and retirement is out of the question, I enjoy passing on my extensive compositional and performing knowledge to the younger generation, and the money is just too damn good.

I have a feeling that you will never have, leaving this world a better place than when I came in. My influence and knowledge will be passed on and on, my music will live long after I am gone, I habve changed lives, open unknown doors, and exposed hundred to a musical universe they never knew existed. And what will your legacy be?.........Yeah, thats what I thought!!
Anon

Cleveland, OH

#176846 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Jingos stay in your head longer than your trumpet blaring.
Tell you what. Bring a couple of cans of boiled peanuts and I will attend one of your park concerts. I'll just turn my deaf ear towards you. The look of bliss on my face while eating boiled peanuts and my ear turned toward you may attract another human to stop by to see what is going on, then you can say you have an audience.
Deal?
What is up with the boiled peanuts? Are they that much better than good old roasted peanuts in the shell? Wanted to try 'em, but no stores near me carry them. If I order them on the Net, what brand should I choose?

La Veta, CO

#176847 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Free concert, but no free beer, sorry.
I love it when you speak in ignorance. You have no idea what or how I teach. Do you really enjoy making yourself look foolish? I have had many student tell me that I have opened creative doors for them that they never knew existed. There is only ONE way numbnuts, creativity doesn't change from year to year, but what would you know about the creative process. Compositional techniques are the same now as they were 50 years ago, the discipline nerve changes.
Thanks for your concern but my eyes are fine, and retirement is out of the question, I enjoy passing on my extensive compositional and performing knowledge to the younger generation, and the money is just too damn good.
I have a feeling that you will never have, leaving this world a better place than when I came in. My influence and knowledge will be passed on and on, my music will live long after I am gone, I habve changed lives, open unknown doors, and exposed hundred to a musical universe they never knew existed. And what will your legacy be?.........Yeah, thats what I thought!!
My legacy will be the enablement of your showing what an egotistical and close minded idiot you are for the world to see.

That's good enough for me.

Hey, cat shit, your legacy will be covered, just like you, in fairly short order. Those that follow you will be trampling all over your grave and memory with their own ego building. Any plaques erected won't last too long, either.

And life goes on.

Even the squirrels will forget about you.

Thanks for the opportunity.

La Veta, CO

#176848 Sep 8, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
What is up with the boiled peanuts? Are they that much better than good old roasted peanuts in the shell? Wanted to try 'em, but no stores near me carry them. If I order them on the Net, what brand should I choose?
They are saltier and softer. Less crunchy and sometimes mushy. They are a salty taste treat, but no roasted taste. I would suggest Peanut Patch. There used to be a brand called Wilke's, but don't know if it still exists. Google canned boiled peanuts.

Open the can, drain the liquid, pour the can into a bowl and use the empty can for the empty shells. Set back and nibble while watching the TV.

You can boil them yourself, but they taste greener. Soaking in the can takes that away. A more subtle peanut taste.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176849 Sep 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
amusing misuse of statistics ....
"Scratch an atheist and out POPS an agnostic"..
as the old saying goes
Did you know that the God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses, it's a fact. Oh, and he loves to give instructions on slavery and the rape of young virgins. Just thought you might want to know......No, no, don't thank me, it's the least I could do.
LCNLin

United States

#176850 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Did you know that the God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses, it's a fact. Oh, and he loves to give instructions on slavery and the rape of young virgins. Just thought you might want to know......No, no, don't thank me, it's the least I could do.
"Straw-Man fallacy" seems the fallacy of choice
for the
Atheist Religion!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176851 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
My legacy will be the enablement of your showing what an egotistical and close minded idiot you are for the world to see.
That's good enough for me.
Hey, cat shit, your legacy will be covered, just like you, in fairly short order. Those that follow you will be trampling all over your grave and memory with their own ego building. Any plaques erected won't last too long, either.
And life goes on.
Even the squirrels will forget about you.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Well now isn't that a wonderful thing to devote your life to, showing others what you perceive as someone personal flaws. I'm not sure how anyone could be more shallow and trite in their lifelong endeavors.

I'm so glad you're sharing your extremely negative views on humanity for all to see. I think it's called projecting, your life must have really sucked, sorry you have nothing to aspire to, nothing the share other than vitriol. A wasted life, I'd give you some of what I have in the way of meaning and worth if I could, but alas, it is after all your waited life to deal with. I do pity you, really I do.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176852 Sep 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
for the
Atheist Religion!
Oh, are you saying God did NOT murder little babies? That he did NOT destroy unborn fetuses? That he doesn't endorse slavery and rape? Did I read the bible wrong? Please help me clear up my confusion here. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

La Veta, CO

#176853 Sep 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Well now isn't that a wonderful thing to devote your life to, showing others what you perceive as someone personal flaws. I'm not sure how anyone could be more shallow and trite in their lifelong endeavors.
I'm so glad you're sharing your extremely negative views on humanity for all to see. I think it's called projecting, your life must have really sucked, sorry you have nothing to aspire to, nothing the share other than vitriol. A wasted life, I'd give you some of what I have in the way of meaning and worth if I could, but alas, it is after all your waited life to deal with. I do pity you, really I do.
:-)

Ypu spend your time on here pointing out the personal flaws of people that believe in a god and the supernatural, and/or puffing your ego up.

An estimated 116 billion humans have existed. I'm just another little creature running around at the direction of a higher intelligence. Fine with me. I don't need the ego boost you need to cope with that. But you aren't hardly unique on that score.

Of course you realize the importance of your opinion or worth from my perspective? But I do get a mild chuckle from your thinking I might. I guess you do have some worth to me, anyhow.

Nice knowing ya, loony.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176854 Sep 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
for the
Atheist Religion!
Oh, he also commits Genocide and involves himself in blood sacrifice....whats the matter, cat got your tongue? His favorite past time?......sitting with folded hands ignoring the prayers of parents who children are dying from starvation and disease.

I think we can assume one of two things here, either he/she/it doesn't exist, or as George Carlin said."Just maybe he doesn't give a shit." Pick one, I'll take number one, and you?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#176855 Sep 8, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an example of how yanking religion out of schools in 1963 led to so much societal destruction. Now that we have begun the 3rd generation of kids growing up with less and less knowledge of God, we can assuredly know that our world will collapse on itself with horrors of anarchy, mayhem , and every form of ruthless behavior known to man.
Christianity is the pesticide we need to cling to again in order to rid the world of the filthy infestation of atheism, the cult which has ruined our world.
You are a putrid person with a mind that is totally sick.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176856 Sep 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
Ypu spend your time on here pointing out the personal flaws of people that believe in a god and the supernatural, and/or puffing your ego up.
An estimated 116 billion humans have existed. I'm just another little creature running around at the direction of a higher intelligence. Fine with me. I don't need the ego boost you need to cope with that. But you aren't hardly unique on that score.
Of course you realize the importance of your opinion or worth from my perspective? But I do get a mild chuckle from your thinking I might. I guess you do have some worth to me, anyhow.
Nice knowing ya, loony.
Unlike you I don't make my life's work doing such. People with unsupported beliefs are dangerous, if you don't know that then you have your head up your ass.

You have said all I need to hear about your feelings of self-worth, that you are just another *little creature* running around at the direction of a higher power. A higher power for which you have absolutely no evidence, which makes your view all the more pathetic.

No wonder your life has sucked so much, you feel that you have no value at all, sad indeed. I don't need to cope with something that is non-existent, how foolish of you to suggest that. You do know what it is t be an Atheist right? No higher power, no God thingy, no magic, just good old science and science facts, thats all anyone needs, unless they have their minds all cluttered up with magical shit that can't be justified, or proved.

It's been a curious experience knowing your thoughts, I really never believed anyone could feel so worthless and not be embarrassed by it, but you seem to flaunt it, very curious indeed.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#176857 Sep 8, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
for the
Atheist Religion!
It's more of a "movement", i.e.,...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-2...

..."Praise nothingness and don't forget to pass the donation plate!"

Even the belief in nothing is not free. ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Brian_G 43,260
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr thetruth 4,820
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr thetruth 9,366
News Why I quit atheism 3 hr thetruth 709
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 3 hr thetruth 755
Good arguments against Christianity 3 hr thetruth 214
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr thetruth 10,052
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr It aint necessari... 18,571
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 10 hr AmericanPagan 21,175
More from around the web