Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255552 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#176572 Sep 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't go in circles. They flow pole to pole the best way they can, then back through their source. Most travels within the object and on its surface. About 10% or so gets above the surface, I believe. That is the weak stuff, and that is why it rises up. There is a more complicated secondary flow to that.
Magnets get weaker from the environment working on them, not the load. That is why they make keepers. You can consider those full loads. That field will last as long as the material does absent outside influences.
Electromagnetic energy flows through the geodesics created from mass warping space/time. You know like us seeing light bent around a massive object. Mass and acceleration effects the space/time continuum and Energy follows the curves made by them.
False Religion

Jackson, TN

#176573 Sep 6, 2013
CatholicHolyGhost wrote:
<quoted text>Pigs may fly etcetera.
GOD did send his only Son to show mankind the way to Heaven
Some choose to follow Him. Some do not
Not a single historian, philosopher, scribe or follower who lived before or during the alleged time of Jesus ever mentions him!

We have the gospels portraying Jesus as famous far and wide, a prophet and healer, with great multitudes of people who knew about him, including the greatest Jewish high priests and the Roman authorities of the area, and not one person records his existence during his lifetime? If the poor, the rich, the rulers, the highest priests, and the scribes knew about Jesus, who would not have heard of him?

Then we have a particular astronomical event that would have attracted the attention of anyone interested in the "heavens." According to Luke 23:44-45, there occurred "about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour, and the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst." Yet not a single mention of such a three hour ecliptic event got recorded by anyone, including the astronomers and astrologers, anywhere in the world, including Pliny the Elder and Seneca who both recorded eclipses from other dates. Note also that, for obvious reasons, solar eclipses can't occur during a full moon (passovers always occur during full moons), Nor does a single contemporary person write about the earthquake described in Matthew 27:51-54 where the earth shook, rocks ripped apart (rent), and graves opened.

Matthew 2 describes Herod and all of Jerusalem as troubled by the worship of the infant Jesus. Herod then had all of the children of Bethlehem slain. If such extraordinary infanticides of this magnitude had occurred, why didn't anyone write about it?

Since: Sep 08

Las Animas, CO

#176574 Sep 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Electromagnetic energy flows through the geodesics created from mass warping space/time. You know like us seeing light bent around a massive object. Mass and acceleration effects the space/time continuum and Energy follows the curves made by them.
I'm not sure you know what you know there.

One question, though

How can mass warp space if there is nothing to warp?

EM, as I have said before, is poorly defined.

There is one aspect in teh study of it and how it relates to the cosmos I haven't seen figured into the calculations yet.

It acts differently here than deep space. Here it acts on matter within its field as it expands outwards. It encounters resistance as it tries to move things like gas atoms so it can pass through, and it also encounters things like water molecules that insert other resistances in the path. What it boils down to is the crust and atmosphere becomes magnets themselves, on the molecular and atomic scale. This is like putting a piece of sheet metal in a magnetic field. It becomes a magnet of its own. All of these components draw on the total field strength. It masks the true strength.

That compass needle you use is sensing the strongest north pole because it is a magnet itself caught in the larger field. It's relative south pole is pointing north. It's north pole facing south strength is less than if it wasn't there. It's a reverse biased magnet. This happens with lots of things on the atomic scale in the crust and atmosphere.

Now understand, what magnetic filed strength left is enough to catch cosmic bullets and route them via flux lines to the earth, where, BTW, they react to those thing sin the air and crust, but it does a LOT of tons a day. Note the term tons. That is mass with gravity.

It's not so weak.

But you also have to realize your body is also caught in that same field, and tied by a long chain with lots of links to the source of that magnetism. You have a gravity and magnetic force binding you to this planet. One reason centrifugal force isn't such an impediment to your functioning at different latitudes. The magnetic strength takes up some slack.

Even a non-magnetic material impedes the flow. It doesn't stop it, it just makes it do some broken field running and loop de loops.

This happens anyplace you have a magnetic field elevated above what it needs to be relatively neutral.

Magnetism is moving space. It moves through space. The space within atoms are like sails that catch it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#176575 Sep 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The field along a current carrying wire produces a magnetic field in right hand twist. It spirals, it wraps. Has to do with the progression of charge and thus induction.
For ordinary wire, the magnetic lines go in circles around the wire, not spirals.
Your magnetic field passes through a vacuum, and very, very, very well. As well as it can.
Yes, so?
What's in a vacuum, little green men with virtual particles in their pockets?
Why would you think that follows?
You got ridiculous in your dodging.
And do you yet have a specific experiment that gives a result in your system different than the standard one and that you are willing to test?

How about a bulltet moving thorugh a vacuum with a light behind it?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#176576 Sep 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't go in circles. They flow pole to pole the best way they can, then back through their source.
Magnetic field lines follow a circuit. Not beginning, no end.
Most travels within the object and on its surface. About 10% or so gets above the surface, I believe. That is the weak stuff, and that is why it rises up. There is a more complicated secondary flow to that.
And the lines do go through a magnet.
Magnets get weaker from the environment working on them, not the load. That is why they make keepers. You can consider those full loads. That field will last as long as the material does absent outside influences.
The keepers reduce the rate of decrease by quite a bit, but don't eliminate it. There is still some leakage.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#176577 Sep 6, 2013
CatholicHolyGhost wrote:
<quoted text>No it is not just 'simple human nature'. It is something within that makes one behave like that and that something is the inner self believing in a Great Creator.
No, it is the fact that we are social great apes.
Arrogant.....moi!!!!!
Like most theists, yes.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#176578 Sep 6, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
youre begining to sound as LOONY as Deluded Dave,boy,,
keep on bobbing though,you amuse us so!
I hate to break this to you, but you don't quite bring as good debates as Ufologist. They bring way more prove.
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#176579 Sep 6, 2013
CatholicHolyGhost wrote:
<quoted text>We just cannot help but say that you are one hateful sick prick.
Seek help.
youre PROJECTING chunky boy ,

did you think using different name will fool anyone?
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#176580 Sep 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to break this to you, but you don't quite bring as good debates as Ufologist. They bring way more prove.
whatever Drugs they give you ,just say NO!

it FKD up your brain real BAD

now run along and change your name again you Idiotic Troll

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176581 Sep 6, 2013
CatholicHolyGhost wrote:
<quoted text>This poster 'bob of quantum faith' is known within Topix to be a very hateful member.
In my opinion Bob has confessed he is a hater in calling me a hater. Understand I told him he is correct, he has no soul, when the dirt lays over the coffin all is over. He has no future existence. Bob's response is "Robert you are a hater.". I can't argue with him, because Bob has told people the same for years. Bob has admitted his post here, has been hatred. I have asked Bob why would you spread such a message. Bob does believe that message, however that really is no reason to share. On a side note I am posting what I do believe. I believe all do know themselves, and your faith matches your fate.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176583 Sep 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Again? You write nothing useful or even argumentative.
Just more evidence of your massive ego, along with your deep hatred for all unbelievers.
You are one sick duck...
No it is true. Atheism has no upside.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#176584 Sep 6, 2013
False Religion wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a single historian, philosopher, scribe or follower who lived before or during the alleged time of Jesus ever mentions him!
We have the gospels portraying Jesus as famous far and wide, a prophet and healer, with great multitudes of people who knew about him, including the greatest Jewish high priests and the Roman authorities of the area, and not one person records his existence during his lifetime? If the poor, the rich, the rulers, the highest priests, and the scribes knew about Jesus, who would not have heard of him?
Then we have a particular astronomical event that would have attracted the attention of anyone interested in the "heavens." According to Luke 23:44-45, there occurred "about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour, and the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst." Yet not a single mention of such a three hour ecliptic event got recorded by anyone, including the astronomers and astrologers, anywhere in the world, including Pliny the Elder and Seneca who both recorded eclipses from other dates. Note also that, for obvious reasons, solar eclipses can't occur during a full moon (passovers always occur during full moons), Nor does a single contemporary person write about the earthquake described in Matthew 27:51-54 where the earth shook, rocks ripped apart (rent), and graves opened.
Matthew 2 describes Herod and all of Jerusalem as troubled by the worship of the infant Jesus. Herod then had all of the children of Bethlehem slain. If such extraordinary infanticides of this magnitude had occurred, why didn't anyone write about it?
How about Matthew, Mark, Luke and John!!!!!

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176585 Sep 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Not an argument-- just you, whining. And showing your hate, too.
<quoted text>
You have zero facts to prove this "soul" crap.
ZERO.
You do not even TRY to prove your garbage-idea!
Instead, you try to belittle anyone who asks you for FACTS.
That is proof of your deeply abiding HATE.
I could only prove it to someone with a soul. It is you doubting the people that do. It's a great story we made up to make people like you look stupid. Generations of people wrote books and shared stories just so you could sit thee lost as you are.

Location hidden

#176586 Sep 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is the fact that we are social great apes.
<quoted text>
Like most theists, yes.
You really are full of shit, aren't you.

Location hidden

#176587 Sep 6, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
youre PROJECTING chunky boy ,
did you think using different name will fool anyone?
Projecting. Moi!!!!!

Who in the hell is chunky boy????.....another one of your night-time male floooosies.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176588 Sep 6, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank God you are wrong just think how much your mythology sucks. That Darwin crap, and that no life after, that's a bummer. Hey, better you than me.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#176589 Sep 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
But how would you know?
Toby

Portland, OR

#176590 Sep 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, if anything my lack of faith in any religious transcendence has made me understand that this life is all we are guaranteed, and that we better value it all the more, and live it to its fullest.

Location hidden

#176591 Sep 6, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like such a darling. Your language isn't too bad either.

You must be such a lovely thing to wake up to and face in the mornings. Yes!!!

All you atheists have something real bad wrong with whatever is inside your skulls.

Location hidden

#176592 Sep 6, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion Bob has confessed he is a hater in calling me a hater. Understand I told him he is correct, he has no soul, when the dirt lays over the coffin all is over. He has no future existence. Bob's response is "Robert you are a hater.". I can't argue with him, because Bob has told people the same for years. Bob has admitted his post here, has been hatred. I have asked Bob why would you spread such a message. Bob does believe that message, however that really is no reason to share. On a side note I am posting what I do believe. I believe all do know themselves, and your faith matches your fate.
You are most correct in everything you say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 min thetruth 4,504
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min MIDutch 35,571
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 11 min thetruth 20,197
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 27 min ChristineM 15,025
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 6 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 45
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr ChristineM 23,879
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) 10 hr thetruth 26
More from around the web