Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#175820 Aug 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
Facts preceed conclusions - theist mental illness hard-wires the opposite process.
you have no facts
LCNlin

United States

#175821 Aug 29, 2013
Quantitative materialism as a discredited old Greek philosophy is dresses up with atheists mumbo jumbo to attack religion while Richard Dawkins has come out as a agnostic.
LOL

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#175822 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
God can't help it, darling. You weren't around to school him in perfect morality.
It's all your fault. You were probably out getting drunk and laid instead of what you should have doing.
Shame on you!!! You let down the human race!!
You're right, it is immoral to keep slaves. You kill all of your enemies. Spare none. Wipe out their gene pool. Leave plenty of room for your own offspring.
Huh?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175823 Aug 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to introduce Lightbeamrider to RiversideRedneck.
Perfect couple.
Yes, let's!

They can both talk about how awesome their deity is for having men write in their mythologies how to take care of slaves, that women shouldn't talk in church, and that children should be slain if they curse at parents.

What wonderful people!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175824 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
1. You claimed I was being emotional, but I am not the one using apostrophes.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Yes you are
No. I'm not actually using apostrophes. You have been, but I have not been.

I fail to see how you can claim that I am using apostrophes. What is it you hope to accomplish by doing so?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175825 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
like most unbelievers you cannot get past your revulsion of a God you do not believe exists.
How naive a statement from you. I don't believe in your deity. I'm repulsed by your lack of reflexive thought in choosing to worship the deity described by the OT and NT. I mean "reflexive" and not "reflective" in case you look the word up.
Slavery is regulated in Scripture for the benefit of the slave.
How immoral.
That is what i wrote. If you disagree then present your case from Scripture and history.
No, I agree with you - slavery is supported in the Bible b/c it provides clear guidelines on how to treat slaves. No perfectly moral deity would ever write such utter immoral trash.

That you fail to see that is worrisome.
Source of all life and all life is accountable to Him. You on the other hand continually distort God depicted.
What? You aren't making sense. I assume this is part of your religious beliefs?
Cite your source for your claim. Where does God say slavery is ok?
Every single time your holy book talks about slaves, it never says "slavery is bad." Instead it gives clear instruction on what to do with slaves. That's supporting slavery.
If slavery is ok according to your understanding of God then why are the Israelites liberated from Egyptian slavery and why is the children of the widow liberated from debt slavery via Elisha?
1. Exodus never happened. All archaeology and the Jews agree on this point.
2. They're metaphors. You'll have to tell me their meaning.
Right. Don't beat them to death because that is abuse of power. If you had even a mediocre understanding of Scripture then you would know God depicted continually holds people and countries accountable for abuses.
hahaha! No your deity doesn't. He furthers the abuses. He makes them happen - look at the fictional story of Egypt in your Holy text. Your deity kills children, causes suffering through disease and more. Your deity tells the Israelite to commit genocide.

The OT is repugnant. You Christians would have been much better off had it been left out of the Bible.
You simply are not interested in any rational explanation from people who have studied these things for years so i don't know why you ask since your warped understanding takes precedence over any rational explanation.
I'm the only one giving rational explanations here. You're the one arguing that laws regarding the treatment of slaves are moral - and you're insisting that they come from the being from which all morality exists.

Listen to yourself - it's not rational, it's not moral. You're defending slavery and calling it "good slavery."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175826 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
When asked to back up any of your claims you reference a wiki site to hide your obvious ignorance.
You provided the wiki site, I asked you to read it. I don't think you did.
God does expect a lot better and that is why there is judgement.
Yeah. He wants you to treat slaves well. Not abolish slavery. Just give them some food and don't hit them too much. And if they're Jewish, release them after 6 years. That's morally repugnant.

Slavery goes on in this world, today. Your Bible tells you it's ok, and to make sure the slave owners treat their slaves right.

Sorry, LB, that's immoral and totally unacceptable. If you're a criminal, a member of organized crime working in the human trafficking trade, I can understand why you would make such claims - that doesn't excuse slavery. It just highlights how incapable of moral reasoning you are.
In Biblical context life here is merely a phase. A precursor for things to come.
That's pathetic, poor thinking and ridiculous.
Topix illiterates select quote Scripture and ignore contest along with historical setting.
Now you are claiming that your perfect, almighty deity, who lives outside of time, differs depending on history.

No, LB, your deity is fiction. It's an imagined being, manipulated throughout the centuries by religious leaders. It changes throughout time because history does, not because it's a perfect being who lives outside of time. Nothing could be more illogical, irrational and utterly in opposition than your belief system.
They depend on the ignorance of the audience and there is plenty of that here.
Your religious precepts very much depend on the ignorance of the audience. Of that, I have no doubt. IF you understood science and history and knew how to critically and reflexively think you would't be writing such impossible statements as "God is perfect, lives outside of time and changes throughout history" and "God doesn't like slavery, so instead of outlawing it, he produces laws on how slaves should be treated."
Under that scenario anything can be justified from Scripture.
No kidding! You do exactly that, constantly.
It is the abuse of Scripture and the abuse is what is passed off as the norm.
Totally. If only you could apply such thinking to yourself.
They lie and distort again and again. Like Poly passing off his interpretation of Genesis and the ancient believing a bowl in the sky supported on pillars.
Genesis is pure fiction. It has no bearing in reality and is utterly nonsensical. It's not explanatory and only an uneducated, idiot infantile mind would imagine that it's accurate.
He might as well put a sign around his neck declaring himself a Biblical moron. I started this in a response to one of Poly's posts but you jumped in and did his dirty work for him. The fact remains you cannot back any of your assertions and spamming then does not make them true of accurate.
Let's see...

bats are not birds
snakes do not talk
the universe was not made in 6 days
both men and women are evolved primates, and neither pre-existed the other
magical mud did not make humans
we have clear genetic relationships to Pan and the great apes
Exodus never happened, it's a story that exists for the religious identity of the Ancient Israelites - all archaeology and even the Jews agree on this

etc., etc

The Bible is not descriptive of reality. Many of its moral systems are repugnant - regulations for owning slaves, the precept that a rape victim should marry her raper, as if a moral being could condone such human misery.

No thinking human being living in our age of information can take it literally. Only an uneducated, small, small mind.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175827 Aug 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>bigot
I can't believe you'd condone a holy book that instructs you on how to treat slaves, that rape victims should marry their rapist, and that women shouldn't talk in church.

Where's your morality, T_T?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#175828 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
For a supposed objective scientist and detached observer of the human animal condition you sure do moralize a lot. Maybe you are bipolar.

Cultural anthropologist, eh?

The economic benefit of slaves kept many alive after wars. This allowed for the infusion of new genes. The economic benefit of slaves also led to the outright procurement of them instead of just results of conflict. This, too, allowed for the infusion of new genes. Slavery was just a class designation within a society. Slaves didn't arise from the local families, so had no social standing, but they did add to and became part of the society. Many had very high educations to manage complex social orders such as large estates. They also intermarried with the base society infusing new genes in the local pool.

Widespread slavery arose from farming. Hunter gatherers would snatch a few individuals from other tribes, but it tool agriculture to make it wholesale.

It's just the way things developed. There was no moral imperative against it. There were laws and religious instruction regarding their treatment, though, which later became "morals". You jumped the gun moralizing God.

But here, as a cultural anthropologist, a savior of mankind, you are missing one of the most important developments in the social history of mankind. The farming of man by man. It has really accelerated in recent decades as the population has grown so much. Thoughts, morals, religious views, and all of those things are being created to manage the estate of the hidden wealthy. This is done via "education", and you are a talented slave to the system helping to manage it. You are turning people into machines performing a function, not individuals with thoughts and ideas of their own. You are cheating people out of their personal experiences and choices. You want the only rewards they get for existing to be what you say they should consider as rewards. Getting drunk or stoned, watching the latest movie or visiting the latest tourist destination. And to always obey their masters, those more "educated" than them.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
LCNlin

United States

#175829 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe you'd condone a holy book that instructs you on how to treat slaves, that rape victims should marry their rapist, and that women shouldn't talk in church.
Where's your morality, T_T?
Old theology "cherry picked" as usual,
rather than a defense of the atheist religion.
Science is silent on atheism,

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#175830 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I find everyday to be a miracle. The human race. Our souls get to act out in this animal form. I all ways come back. For reasons, souls now seek simpler forms. Different breakdowns for different reasons. You could see this conversation is meant for a different message tread. If you want to point it out to me I'll go more into details. After posting with Atheist for about 15 years now, on and off. I am sorry, but they just are not honest enough for such a conversation. I also don't know if you could talk personal beliefs without coming across as condescending. We are really the silent majority. As in most people do remain their religion even after tuning their beliefs to their personal preferences. I really don't care if anyone but me, sees things just the way I do. Online Atheist are the opposite.
Robert, you lost me at the third word. Which should have been the third and fourth words.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#175831 Aug 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you have no facts
I would say don't be stupid, but its far too late for you.

I mean, you're a clown: You embrace stupid in order to make a living.

Like all creationists at the end of the day.

Location hidden

#175832 Aug 29, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Old theology "cherry picked" as usual,
rather than a defense of the atheist religion.
Science is silent on atheism,
"Science is silent on atheism"??

How about science backs up atheism all the way?

Dumb creationist f*ck.

Location hidden

#175833 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
For a supposed objective scientist and detached observer of the human animal condition you sure do moralize a lot. Maybe you are bipolar.
The economic benefit of slaves kept many alive after wars. This allowed for the infusion of new genes. The economic benefit of slaves also led to the outright procurement of them instead of just results of conflict. This, too, allowed for the infusion of new genes. Slavery was just a class designation within a society. Slaves didn't arise from the local families, so had no social standing, but they did add to and became part of the society. Many had very high educations to manage complex social orders such as large estates. They also intermarried with the base society infusing new genes in the local pool.
Widespread slavery arose from farming. Hunter gatherers would snatch a few individuals from other tribes, but it tool agriculture to make it wholesale.
It's just the way things developed. There was no moral imperative against it. There were laws and religious instruction regarding their treatment, though, which later became "morals". You jumped the gun moralizing God.
But here, as a cultural anthropologist, a savior of mankind, you are missing one of the most important developments in the social history of mankind. The farming of man by man. It has really accelerated in recent decades as the population has grown so much. Thoughts, morals, religious views, and all of those things are being created to manage the estate of the hidden wealthy. This is done via "education", and you are a talented slave to the system helping to manage it. You are turning people into machines performing a function, not individuals with thoughts and ideas of their own. You are cheating people out of their personal experiences and choices. You want the only rewards they get for existing to be what you say they should consider as rewards. Getting drunk or stoned, watching the latest movie or visiting the latest tourist destination. And to always obey their masters, those more "educated" than them.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Until you've prove n your creationist god, your opinions are worthless.

Westcliffe, CO

#175834 Aug 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you've prove n your creationist god, your opinions are worthless.
Until you display signs of intelligence, you are worthless.

You have a few years to go. Best of luck to you.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#175835 Aug 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I know-- your gullibility is almost as great as your seething hatred for all non-believers.
You once wrote that you'd see all non-believers murdered.
I've told him to bring his friends and pack lunch. That's gonna be a looooooong day.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#175840 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like she is enhancing her resume. Either way she has too much time on her hands. Scientist and detached my ass.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175841 Aug 29, 2013
I'll get pack to responding to post after my nap and evening work out. Two people I have to address.

1. Quantum Bob. You nearly killed me last night your post were just that funny. Om my God and for your goodness.

2. T.Town Clown You have to read the post at Atheism and Homosexuals. Nothing is funnier than reading atheist argue amongst themselves. These bloggers are priceless.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175842 Aug 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>here is one for you Bob (_!_)
I see a pattern with you-- you appear to be obsessed with your own rear end.

... hmmmm....

... clearly, you are just a closeted homosexual.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175843 Aug 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I've told him to bring his friends and pack lunch. That's gonna be a looooooong day.
Sadly, you are correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min MikeF 18,073
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 59 min Freebird USA 9,258
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 hr MaisieD 51
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr Patrick n Angela 14,511
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr Patrick n Angela 6,463
News The Consequences of Atheism 6 hr 10commandments 1,148
News 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma (Jul '13) 9 hr karl44 7,553
More from around the web