Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247221 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#175630 Aug 27, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't be him because I'm taller and younger
OK then you're a young Fred Mertz LOL

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175631 Aug 27, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you drunk? Can you restate that coherently, with some kind of point?
It was answering the statement you made. And I stand by it and most likely would have to repeat it as you repeat the cause of the effect.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#175632 Aug 27, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>OK then you're a young Fred Mertz LOL
How is the kool aid going ?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175633 Aug 27, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are getting it. Make your life worth living today.
<quoted text>
So your belief is based on the fact that you cannot handle reality? That's quite infantile.
I will give you credit. If all atheist posted with your etiquette. I would have a higher respect for THE ONLINE ATHEIST, which are Atheist, different from atheist. I do find an Atheist like yourself in about 20% of conversations. Here at topix, I blogged with one I liked. Yes just one. This includes many on youtube, which are more closed minded if you could imagine that. Just read for yourself. The issue I have with you here in this message tread is why aren't you directing your issues of etiquette with The Atheist sort. Honestly when I saw Christians blog with you guys on youtube the Christians did some policing of their own. As I mentioned there was one I liked and he did go both directions, when complaining about online manners. It does not bother me I do expect worm meat to behave like this. I wouldn't dream of complaining about how you guys post, when it is in response to comments that could also be considered heated. It is hypocrisy, but perhaps that is the goal of the self thought to have zero beliefs.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175634 Aug 27, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the proof you need for you, and that is great, but there are other people who need more proof than you have.
OK agreed, but could we stick to this message tread? "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" The answer No question. You could type your great essay if it makes you feel better. It just can not be proven that there was NO CREATOR. I'll give you the opposite is true. Ask me to prove when I all ready admit I have faith in a belief. From a person that claims they believe in facts only. That could be as backwards as it gets, and yet I am sure there are people her that have done that for over 15 years.

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#175635 Aug 27, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>OK then you're a young Fred Mertz LOL
You're just like a killer klown from outer space.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#175636 Aug 27, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
How is the kool aid going ?
I have a big ole orange ring around my mouth right now I enjoy my Kool-Aid ....

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175637 Aug 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares?
Atheism is simply what's left when you REMOVE ALL FAITH IN GODS.
Atheism is not a cause.
Atheism is not a movement.
Atheism is not a government position.
Atheism is not a cult.
Atheism is not a worldview.
Atheism is just no faith in gods-- that's it.
All your "examples"? Are of **other** things-- not ATHEISM.
Would you please read what you wrote. You have to be joking. I'll admit you have non fundamentalist atheist, in which, for them all the above is true. I'll give a longer response when I have more time. But are you serious?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175638 Aug 27, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
you can LIE to yourself as much you want,it only proves youre angry being UNABLE to prove god,
thats also the reason all the xians here are so full of Hate,
Truth hurts doesnt it,
www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm
Not at all. Really in debates with other theist with other opinions of humanity and God. This conversation drives home many of my points. I could give you the books to read, but you're as likely to do that as I am t read the books you have. I am not shocked you don't believe I am a non Christian Pagan. I came into this conversation knowing you guys don't take people's word. You're like some sort of Star Trek humanoid. I think of you as drones. No soul because the Universe has to many souled beings. Yet you'll say the is a Christian point of view. That's funny.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175639 Aug 27, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Internet TROLL
Why do trolls do it?
I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.
Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.
For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.
Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?
Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).
Trolls don't have friends. On the internet, because they interact with human beings, they can convince themselves that they are important, the centre of the universe - that, to them, is better than any friendship.
Don't forget, the troll thinks he is always right, and therefore better than other folk. In real life, exactly the opposite applies. the troll has no friends and virtually no interaction with other people.
If he's a teen (many are), then he lives in his bedroom, trolling, playing computer games with 'friends'(who he doesn't know at all), and joining roleplay sites, where - of course - he is a hero, or a powerful villain, who is respected in an inverse ratio to the respect he feels for himself.
If he's an adult, then he has serious social issues. He may work, where people think he's a weirdo, and avoid him, he may sponge off his parents or be 'looking for work', which means he blames everyone for his problems. Except himself.
Most people who are out of work are nothing like the stereotype; most want to work, and gain their self respect through work and being part of the world; but the troll IS the stereotype whining scrounger, to whom the world owes a living.
Almost every troll is male; I don't know why this is.
The troll has few social skills, and most have never had a girlfriend, many never will.
There's a clear pattern among trolls; they are much more likely to ignore posts known to be from women. And when they do respond to women, they are much more likely to be brief, abusive, condescending and patronising.
This is almost certainly more due to fear than misogyny - they just don't know any women. Except Mom. But their attitude rather reduces their chances of reproducing, which is probably a good thing.
You have to be kidding. You must have spent 20-40 minutes typing that so people like us could laugh. Really, you guys have pushed the envelope to this point now you post some thing like this. If I had a dollar for every time I read worm meat post condescending comments. You are just way too funny.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175640 Aug 27, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>well said troll some great copy and paste... very pitiful
I hope he was smart enough to cut, copy and paste that post. The idea of him spending so much time answering your clever one liner.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175641 Aug 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose somewhere in this terrible thought out post there is a point, although I'd challenge anyone to find it. "blow hards" "jerkoffs" something about a fat and ugly guy from England........You might to well to get off your fat ass and supply the name of the person you're assassinating. Here try this.....Think about what you want to say........try and be as concise and as clear as possible. Think about the point you are trying to make. If there are names and places involved, make sure you know the correct spelling for them.......Now, after all of that is internalized, go ahead and put down your thoughts. Glad I could help. In doing this, you'll look much less.......ok, stupid.
He was a publicity whore, and I prefer not recall his name. I forgot to mention how pale he was. He was too ugly for American TV, for sure. Maybe one day I'll watch his silly, pretending t be a ugly pale assed genius that drank like Dean Martin pretended to drink. He was a waste and proud o be one, and obnoxious about it. I will recall him as he requested me to recall him, but I won't bother looking his name up.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175642 Aug 27, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
1. That's a nonsensical sentence. How can the objective be abused?
2. Christianity has no access to objectivity or objective truth. It's entirely subjective, interpreted subjectively and changes throughout history to suit contemporary culture(s).
<quoted text>
1. Atheism is disbelief in deities, based on available evidence and subjective reasoning.
2. What you label Darwinism is the framework theory for all biological sciences. You cannot get more objective than science, despite science being unable to be completely objective.
<quoted text>
Throughout Western history, the vast, vast majority of slave owners were Christian and used the Bible to support their slavery.
You are being selective, as usual.
<quoted text>
1. The argument from analogy. It goes like this "I'm human. I feel. I enjoy freedom and would not want to be a slave. Other people are human, they are like me. So it is immoral to make them slaves."
2. The belief that, as social and thinking beings, we should seek to minimize suffering and maximize happiness. Slavery is suffering, therefore it is immoral.
2a. The belief that, as social and thinking beings, we should seek to maximize human potential. Slavery destroys human potential and therefore it is immoral.
3. Societally agreed upon declarations of human rights. These prohibit slavery - again, for the betterment of humankind.
<quoted text>
That's senseless. Your Bible supports slavery just as easily as it can be interpreted otherwise. In fact, the OT deity forces people into slavery.
<quoted text>
Comparing real slavery to atheism is utter trash thinking. Slavery has nothing to do with atheism. The greatest slavers in Western history were Christians.
<quoted text>
Same as I presented above. You don't seem to understand where morality comes from. It comes from the social. The basis for all human morality is preservation of civil society - allowing people to get along in larger than kin groups. Religion pretends otherwise, but you simply place imagined fictions overtop of normal human morality - and often twist human morality when it suits your religious leaders.
<quoted text>
No. You are here failing to understand what "fit" means. You seem to be using it as "strong" or "might over weak" etc. That's false. Fit specifically refers to successful alleles (genes). Any gene that enjoys many copies in a genome is fit.
Morality, in social animals, especially intelligent ones with extremely high populations, is the "fittest." Our largest struggle right now is getting along with other cultures and accepting difference - that's something religions do very poorly at.
You believers constantly express that you have the "one, true reality" and that everyone who doesn't share your views is wrong. That won't work in our current time - there's too many people with so many different ways of understanding reality. You're going to have to change and accept others for who they are.
They're not trying to be like you.
You take BS way too seriously.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#175643 Aug 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You're just like a killer klown from outer space.
just call me UFO

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175645 Aug 27, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Then why do you sell "atheist" t-shirts if it's not a "cause", Bob?
Stalking post reported.

I do not sell T-shirts-- you have me confused with someone else.

Seriously, are you really this stupid?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175646 Aug 27, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Christianity can be abused because there is ...
NO GOD THAT CAN OR WILL STOP THE ABUSE.

That is correct-- are you finally getting it yet?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175647 Aug 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you please read what you wrote. You have to be joking. I'll admit you have non fundamentalist atheist, in which, for them all the above is true. I'll give a longer response when I have more time. But are you serious?
Nope. I'm not joking. There **are** non-religious philosophies out there.

Secular Humanism is one.

Non-theistic Buddhism is another.

Non-theistic Judaism is still another.

Within the church called Universal Unitarianism? Atheists are welcomed as valid and valuable persons within the congregation. In fact, in my local atheist group, many attend a local UU church.

The above **are** examples of causes, creeds, philosophies, world-views, etc.

Athiesm itself? Is not:

Atheism is simply what's left when you REMOVE ALL FAITH IN GODS.
Atheism is not a cause.
Atheism is not a movement.
Atheism is not a government position.
Atheism is not a cult.
Atheism is not a worldview.
Atheism is just no faith in gods-- that's it.
All your "examples"? Are of **other** things-- not ATHEISM.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175648 Aug 27, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he is serious.. Bob is as nutty as the out-house RAT...
Hate speech reported. You are one hate-filled example of a Genuine Christian™.

If your Jesus had been real? I wonder what he'd have said to you about all that hate you show here ...

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#175649 Aug 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate speech reported. You are one hate-filled example of a Genuine Christian™.
If your Jesus had been real? I wonder what he'd have said to you about all that hate you show here ...
you're the GRAND POOBAH of hate BOB

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#175650 Aug 27, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
1. That's a nonsensical sentence. How can the objective be abused?
If you knew anything about the subject at hand you would know it makes complete sense. This is what i wrote.
Christianity can be abused because there is an objective basis to do a comparison.
In Christianity the Old is interpreted through the lens of the New. That is how we know the Salem witch Trials were objectively wrong. They used the Old exclusive from the New.(In part) If you want a summary the Apostles Creed will do.
2. Christianity has no access to objectivity or objective truth.
It has Jesus who claims to be Truth. That is its source of objectivity. Its proof card is bodily resurrection. Your statement is nothing more than dissenting opinion. That does not make your statement objectively true.
1. Atheism is disbelief in deities, based on available evidence and subjective reasoning.
That is your excuse. The real reason has to do with hostility towards God depicted in the Bible and the Bible itself. That is why non believers rant about slavery which is nothing more than a means to an end. The real foe is the Bible and God depicted. Slavery is used as an excuse. They are selective. They have no objective basis to condemn slavery. If there is no God and no judgement then slavery is simply a means to an end and is just as valid as not having slaves. It is simply option 1 or 2. Slavery conforms with the laws of nature where the strong dominate the weak. If there is no God then slavery is a valid option which conforms with nature.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr karl44 12,420
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr -Stray Dog 47,753
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 2 hr thetruth 16
Proof of God for the Atheist 5 hr thetruth 94
Atheism and Evidence of the Exodus 19 hr Amused 25
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 21 hr thetruth 2,352
News Muslim World and Secularism Tue P_Smith 1
More from around the web