Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#175212 Aug 22, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
My post was just the opposite it was an explanation of how Atheism would cause the end to Humans on Earth. If you want to claim it is part of evolution, I could see the use of having humans restricted to being earthbound and having the race as it is here come to an end. The Perfect One may not want space pirates. Which is what we'd be.
Wait. If someone disagrees with my religious beliefs then the earth will end?

You may have a valid point considering I am gay and a Christian!

LMAO!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#175213 Aug 22, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
My post was just the opposite it was an explanation of how Atheism would cause the end to Humans on Earth. If you want to claim it is part of evolution, I could see the use of having humans restricted to being earthbound and having the race as it is here come to an end. The Perfect One may not want space pirates. Which is what we'd be.
Where were you when God created heaven and Earth?

I see no conflict between my faith in God and scientific theory.

But feel free to test your faith against the theory of gravity. I live in florida and there are hundreds of short piers you could take a long walk on.

Just out of curiosity are you aware that at one point Christians banned Christmas in Boston?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#175214 Aug 22, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a hard time understanding what you say after you agree with me. I just think you're claiming that you find it more likely there is no creator or any form of God. As posted earlier, I do believe we both know ourselves and we could both be right, we have our own existence. When one believes as I do, the spreading of Atheism makes no sense.
I have to disagree with your conclusions here. Another's disbelief in God doesn't affect you or God. Or my beliefs in spiritual matters.

Those who insist one must believe are as arrogant as those who insist one must NOT believe.

And BTW if you say God exists and others say He doesn't, please explain how you both can be right.

LMAO!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#175215 Aug 22, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
RFLMAO if you read the post I was responding to, you could see I all ways have posted I can't prove anything, and the post was off topic. I admit I have beliefs that are based on my faith in things. The topic tread "Atheism is as much faith as religion" that is the topic and I agree with it as a statement. THANK YOU, for proving my point, that I should really never have answered this question, as I originally stated. Your post was the hammer hit the nail I was holding, again thank you for proving the point, I pointed out here for days.
ONE MORE TIME. SORRY FOR GOING OFF TOPIC AGAIN.
Isn't lying a violation of your beliefs?

"Atheism requires as much faith as religion" is the title, not ""Atheism is as much faith as religion"

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175216 Aug 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Wait. If someone disagrees with my religious beliefs then the earth will end?
You may have a valid point considering I am gay and a Christian!
LMAO!
Stevenson would be even funnier, if he were not insisting that he is actually serious...

;)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#175217 Aug 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Either that, or you've been lied TO.
Works either way-- faith-- WITHOUT PROOF-- is a lie.
Sorry, but that's the way of it.
You are welcome to it, naturally.
So long as you keep it to yourself-- and do not enforce LAWS that **make** people follow your faith.
That's why I am here-- to keep the faith-based laws OUT.
Only secular laws can be allowed-- according to the Constitution.
----------
If it were not for Ugly Faith-Laws?
Homosexuals could have been enjoying freedom to marry since 1776...
....!!
Think about **that** one for a bit, why don't you?
Many are unaware that since 1997 in some States a minster can be fined and jailed for blessing a SS union.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-p...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#175218 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Your post was like the majority of what you write: bullshit.
That's what you do, you know.
If your idiot ideas were CORRECT?
We should see ATHEIST countries FAILING, right and left.
And RELIGIOUS ones in the forefront.
Is this the case?
Nope.
On the world stage? The MORE religious a country's population is?
THE LOWER ON THE OVERALL SCALE OF SUCCESS IT IS.
Yep--that is the fact, jack.
Atheist countries? Experience higher average salary per person, higher quality/quantity medical care per person, lower crime rates per person, better education per person, lower infant deaths per person, longer lives per person, etc, etc, etc.
In short?
ALL THE AREAS THAT COUNT?
It's better to live in an **atheist** country than in a **theist** one.
By just about any measure you want to make.
Good post. May I suggest in the future using "Theocratic Countries" and "secular nations" rather than Atheist countries and religious ones.

Many of the nations you speak of have large religious populations. That doesn't make them theocracies.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#175219 Aug 22, 2013
Whatever gets you into church each week is appreciated by the collection plate Senile Dave.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is reason to not believe in them. The fear of death. Convincing yourself this is all a dream, and there will be nothing after it. No more dealing with "reality". No accountability.
Just sheer terror of what happens when the lights go out for good.

Louisville, KY

#175220 Aug 22, 2013
Christholes are not known to be mental geniuses as we see on this thread.

SMH
<quoted text>
Oh, my STARS!
You idiot! Orwell was criticizing .. RELIGION!
LMAO!

Louisville, KY

#175221 Aug 22, 2013
As racist as Dave is he probably is a card carrying member.
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are building your information on lies from the neo-nazi movement

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#175226 Aug 23, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>IMO

IT does not just require the faith of a religion ..it is one ..Not that RELIGION is a great thing ..Faith ..is what's,important ..in God .

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

Now you can be ordained in the atheist religion

Atheist churches,are springing up all over

The atheists are just as much fundamnntalist as the most extreme cult .

who travels thousands,of miles ..to a tiny town in order to say THAT TOWN's Christmas traditions offend them ..they don't live there nor pay taxes,there..I wouldn't go to a parade a half mile away to say I'm offended..my town is ful of rainbos signs and flags in front of houses.
There are also Christmas displays ...

Who cares,.long as they don't put anything on my front yard .I don't care

But some of the atheists make it a cause ..I'm sure they get donatiins to sponsor this stuff ..

It's HATRED. Worse than much I have seen by Christians or Jews,

If you don't like a nativity scene or a menorah..
Don't go out if your way to see one..it's,just plain foolish..But mire it's,evil ..when taken to extremes
I'm and ordained atheist minister.

I want to put my atheist messages on public property at taxpayer expense to promote atheism.

You ok with that?

How about Satanist symbols?

You ok with that?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#175227 Aug 23, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>I know next to nothing about Physics, Quantum Theory, higher math, etc.

I often argue from the viewpoint of my experience and/or knowledge. Why these theological arguments usually wind up with bickering over a scientific point that leans neither towards or away from supernatural powers, I've never quite understood. Science can only deal with what can be proven.***shrugs***

I DO know better than to argue from lack of comprehension (be it ignorance or stupidity), lol.
Then you know better than most Christians.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#175228 Aug 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I have clarified this before, but the passions of the atheist crowd tend to get in their way. You gave me a good sentence there to modify so they may understand better where I am coming from.

"You seem to think that compassion and morality is generated by church teachings"

Make that read "You seem to think that compassion and morality WAS generated by church teachings".

What you consider those things are built upon generations of them being taught in those religions, in spite of men being hypocrites. You wouldn't have this modern human secular humanism without that preceding.

I'm really rather detached from religion. I look at it and mankind a lot more objectively than most. That is why I don't "react" to it like Topix atheists do. I do react to their getting carried away with their reactions, but that is really a recreational activity rather than an emotional reaction.

Do I believe in a higher force or intelligence behind this existence thing. Yes I do. That is from my technological training and understanding and applying basic physics on the larger scale. There is no poofing into existence and becoming a observed closed system the way the reactors to religion have adopted as a substitute religion.

Existence is way beyond me. I'm here, I'm a machine, I have something running me on the subconscious level. It's kicked my ass royal and it has been good to me. Not a thing I can do about it, so I am just along for the ride. It's an experience. Yet I am a Christian fundie in the eyes of most Topix atheists and think with a religious passion. While they rant on and on about all the evils of it. Amusing. None of them seem to realize if every single thing, even footsteps, did not occur the way they did, and this includes all of those evils, they would not be here to rant and whine about them. It's how they got here. Plus they are disrespecting the hell out of their ancestors, which if you think about it, just makes them lower their own worth. If junk made you, you are junk.

Like I told you, I was an atheist for 50 years. You don't return to fundamentalism after that. Coupled with what I mentioned about technology, you also don't take people and life so seriously.
That was a lot of words.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#175229 Aug 23, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry...I don't think that I'm quite as old as you, but I can't agree that morality was generated by the churches. I am curious though why you feel this way, if you don't mind me asking.
Dave has had a lot of self inflicted head injuries.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#175230 Aug 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Nice rant, Glad to give you something to vent with.:-)

My ego is less self centered than your ego.

Those get along lessons were passed to later generations as religions.

Yes, secular humanism existed, but only for the ruling group. Ask the slaves used for anal sex by their Greek masters.

Christianity was the first religion to go global worshiping a universal creator on a personal level. No tribe, no political group exclusivity, nor even ritual worship. It was there, but it wasn't part of the teachings. It also ended blood sacrifices.
Really?!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#175231 Aug 23, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave.
You left out 2 Daves.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175232 Aug 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope. They are-- in fact? All of the Netherlands is atheist/secular--- the MAJORITY of their populations are atheists.
That **is** how you count it, after all--
... you moron Genuine Christholes™ keep claiming the USA is "christian" because 65% is as deluded as you...
... RIGHT?
LOL!
In any case? NK and China are not athiest.
Neither was the USSR.
Cults of Personality-- religion, in other words.
Your extreme ignorance of modern history is duly noted.
You're too funny deny, deny, deny. You are more of a denier than anything else. And none of what you said about any countries are true. Face the fact you are preaching towards an Orwell Utopia.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175233 Aug 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I prove it quite nicely.
I am so sorry your feeble "edumacation" was not up to comprehension of my proof--
-- YOU DID NOT EVEN TRY TO COUNTER MY ARGUMENT.
Not even a little... you just whined "NOT SO" as you do, above.
Keep whining "not so"-- it reveals you for the moron you are.
Bob 1 I never claimed I could prove my faith. 2. AGAIN!!! The message tread is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion" there here on this tread you could try to do the impossible.

Bob face it religion and people's beliefs, thoughts and purposes to gather are not what is dangerous. The average spectator. They just need to get out for the most part. It is why I most people belong to religions and would look at a point or a few, that they really don't believe. Bob you don't need to be part of a religion, to be a fundamentalist. You are one. The fundamentalist are those that are dangerous.

Bob if you ar right. Which I am very sure you are not. So what? Bob you have to admit if you are right, boy would that suck. I will never understand the atheist fundamentalist.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175234 Aug 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh, my STARS!
You idiot! Orwell was criticizing .. RELIGION!
LMAO!
Dear Great denier. 1984 was an atheist state. And Orwell did criticize both however like myself he found Atheism to be worse. You are a text book example of why. The tread Bob, could you stick with the message tread. Than again why bother Stephen Hawkins wouldn't even try to claim what you do. As well as many of the authors you read religiously.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175235 Aug 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I prove it quite nicely.
I am so sorry your feeble "edumacation" was not up to comprehension of my proof--
-- YOU DID NOT EVEN TRY TO COUNTER MY ARGUMENT.
Not even a little... you just whined "NOT SO" as you do, above.
Keep whining "not so"-- it reveals you for the moron you are.
You don't prove it, and you can't. If you could it would be talked about by the main stream. You are possibly running with an author's claim. But it is nothing more than a claim.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 6,171
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr Lumatrix 14,488
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr Freebird USA 9,205
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Patrick n Angela 17,895
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 7 hr Patrick n Angela 11
News 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma (Jul '13) 7 hr thetruth 7,545
News The Consequences of Atheism 8 hr thetruth 1,098
More from around the web