Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more
Bongo

Bay Shore, NY

#174961 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I must have some kind of psychosis to come here. Is there a cure, Catcher?
Bwhahahahaha he heeee perhaps a little Buck?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#174962 Aug 18, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so fast there, pardner. Even in her (Mothra is female) larval stage, she could do some serious damage. She's also got the nuclear thing going for her, and it's more refined than 'Zilla's. Her trump card is the ability to fly. Air power gives her a huge advantage, and the ability to shoot some kind of sticky crap while flying, equals one formidable monster. Read it and weep...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothra
Godzilla drinks nuked water for an energy boost.

Ever see a moth fly into a flame?

Mothra is just a nuisance.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#174963 Aug 18, 2013
In Dave's world a math teacher grades some tests and has 20 students score a 95%. The teacher then lectures the class on those 20 averaging a 0%! Only in Dave's world!

SMH

Keep humiliating yourself for our amusement senile old man.

Video of Dave.

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"The most notable event of Operation Castle was the Castle Bravo test. " needs a man.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#174964 Aug 18, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Dr Michael Newton what you suggest will happen. I do see Atheist reacting as you suggest. Atheism will remain a unproven faith. You'll prove Orwell correct as you introduce things like 2+2=5. It will be the end of science as we know it, because my original statement is true and you know it. That is Atheism can't be a proven fact, unless man knew everything. We won't know everything but in such a society we would pretend we do, actually more like demand it. Books will be burned and sciences will be forbidden. All because The Universe is gathering so many intelligent beings that not all of them could have intelligent souls. I would predict a cleaner Earth, but when Earth dies so would the Human Race.
The above babble and pack'o'lies is the result of ...

... BRAIN DAMAGE.

Yes, folks, there you have it-- faith DAMAGES YOUR MIND in irrevocable ways such that you can spew such idiotic nonsense as in the above.

It's pretty sad to witness, though.

The above hate-filled nonsense represents another wasted human life.

Louisville, KY

#174965 Aug 18, 2013
Typical Christhole response. Not an expert in anything but demands you be. Oh and then claims you are wanting to be superior to this imaginary friend of his because you don't believe in him. The sheer arrogance.

SMH
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you qualified? Do you have doctorates in physics, astrophysics, or quantum physics?
I have to be honest, and I hope you'll forgive me here. I strongly disagree and am somewhat disappointed that you used this tactic. Normally, I respect most of your statements as sincere dialogue even though my conclusions disagree with your own.
What I find troubling is that the atheist community (in general) seems driven to claim intellectual superiority over those who don't share the same worldview. This sets up an "Us vs. them" dichotomy that degenerates into fanaticism. And yes I'm just as troubled by theists who attempt to do the same thing, and we both know some do. To say otherwise would be naive at best and blatantly dishonest at worst.
My question may seem rhetorical, but I invite you to give it some serious thought even if it challenges you on a very deep and personal level. Here it is:
Is the need to feel intellectually superior driven by an absence or void of something else in your life? Say, God?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174966 Aug 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Godzilla farts more when he stirs in his sleep.
I warned you. But don't let that be the last thing on your mind. Focus on surviving.
I would suggest a long and distant vacation, starting real soon, until the week after the Fall equinox.
You have a SO, so I'm not sharing.
Looks like you have the fake prediction thing down:
- use vague concepts
- alter them to mean anything
- declare your prophecy fulfilled
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#174967 Aug 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Mothra is also a staunch atheist and a firm supporter of abiogenesis....

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174968 Aug 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessarily. it depends on which models you use for the multiverse.
<quoted text>
And these are good questions. The obvious problem is that we do not have any actual evidence for a multiverse. But such always come up when you attempt to merge quantum mechanics and gravity.
I kind of wonder if we'll be able to construct a GUT from inside the universe.
Since most multiverse models allow gravity to work between the universes, there is a possibility of testing the existence of other universes (there was even a controversial claim of observations that support this).
Wow, no kidding! But if gravity works between them...something horrible could start there and chain over to here. That might be bad.

Like, let's say a little universe has a stronger value for gravity than we do. So it collapses tomorrow! What happens here?

Hold on a second. If a Big Crunch were happening, wouldn't that re-create a Big Bang as matter rushes inward and heats up?

If it's in black holes and such, and it's all collapsing in on itself, then why wouldn't the beginning of the Big Bang have done just that?
An analogy might help when discussing the different notions of time in the universe vs with multiverse.
Take a sphere. Imagine the latitude corresponds to time and the longitude corresponds to (one-dimensional) space. On this sphere, time 'begins' at the south pole and 'ends' at the north pole. There is, in essence, a Big Bang at the south pole and a Big Crunch at the north pole.
Now, imagine this sphere embedded in three dimensions (you probably already did that) with the north pole on top. Then, the height above the ground corresponds roughly to the latitude on the sphere. In that sense, the height in three dimensions corresponds to latitude in two dimensions. More accurately, the latitude is a projection of the height onto the sphere.
Now, it is *possible* that the multiverse, which has about 10 dimensions has a time variable (like height) that 'projects' onto time in our particular (four dimensional) universe just like height projects onto latitude. They are not identical, but they certainly are linked. This is, in fact, pretty common in multiverse models.
Uhm...what do you mean by "projects onto"? Is there a causal relationship between the two dimensional representation and the three dimensional one? Aren't they just representations?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174969 Aug 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is one of the reasons I requested a definition of the term 'cause'. It is a very slippery concept as applied to many situations.
For example, suppose I push on the accelerator pedal of my car. The car goes faster. There is definitely a sense in which my pushing on the pedal is the 'cause' of the car going faster. But, more precisely, pushing on the pedal made a series of levers open up a valve that lets in more fuel, so there is a bigger explosion against the piston, which produces more torque on the drive shaft, which makes the tires spin faster, which makes the friction on the ground produce a force on the car, which makes it accelerate. If there was not fuel in the line, the car would not go faster. If the piston was not connected to the drive shaft, the car would no go faster. If any of the mechanics was stuck, the car would no go faster, etc. So the *actual* cause of the car going faster is the imbalance of the frictional force and the drag force on the car. My pushing the pedal was only one way among many to produce that imbalance. It isn't guaranteed to produce that imbalance (for example if the road is icy). But, if the conditions are right, and the car is built well, pushing the pedal does cause a sequence of events leading to the imbalance of forces.
Now, for radioactivity, the situation is a bit different. Take an atom of, say, uranium-238. The nucleus is unstable (meaning it will decay) in part because the number of neutrons is too high compared to the number of protons (also because the nucleus as a whole is too large). In one sense, that is a cause for the decay. But, an nucleus of U-238 can remain un-decayed for literally billions of years. And, unlike the car or the triggering mechanism for a bomb, there is NOTHING different about a nucleus that decays right now and another nucleus that decays in 3 billion years. There is no 'triggering mechanism' that determines when that nucleus will decay. The decay of a particular nucleus is *completely* undetermined: it is uncaused. Again, nothing is different 'just before' the decay from any other time. A nucleus of U-238 that decays today is absolutely identical to one that decays in a billion years. That is what I mean when I say the time for the decay is uncaused.
Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174970 Aug 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe has a clock that started ticking 13.7 billion years ago. Just about everything within the universe has a clock ticking
these clocks can be made to run at different rates, but the universes clock as far as we know does not vary.
Whether there are clocks ticking outside this universe we can't say. Whether this universe's clock is within another clock, we can't say. But it is entirely possible they are.
Whether the universe is aware of the passage of time , is highly controversial , but that too is possible I guess.
I don't think the above explanation fully grasps what time is. Sorry.

Westcliffe, CO

#174971 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you have the fake prediction thing down:
- use vague concepts
- alter them to mean anything
- declare your prophecy fulfilled
"According to therapist Reneau Z. Peurifoy, the supposed causes of human sensitivity to earthquakes are similar to the causes of earthquake sensitivity in animals. When pressure builds up prior to an earthquake, the quartz crystal in Earth's interior is deformed and creates an electrical charge. This phenomenon, known as the piezoelectric effect, can send electrical signals to animals. It is theorised that some earthquake sensitives may also be reacting to a change in the electromagnetism of an area caused by rising stresses on geological faults. There is also the possibility that radon is emitted prior to an earthquake, enough to be noticed by sensitive humans.[6]

One earthquake sensitive mentioned in sensitive Cal Orey's The Man Who Predicts Earthquakes: Jim Berkland, maverick geologist suggested that the different crystal makeups of different regions account for distinct sounds from different areas. She thought that pressure also determined sound, and provided an example, saying how granite sounds were different from those of quartz."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_sensi...

The article itself is an attempt to debunk. But the fact is humans are animals, too, right? Some things we used to pay attention to have been civilized out of us.

That piezoelectric effect is also the reason for those hums you hear about.

Those are actual physical phenomenon. Like I said, you are trained to ignore them. Until a professor tells you they exist.

Every thing is a tuned circuit. All tuned circuits are affected by their environment.

Pay more attention to those nagging uneases you get. Saved many of your ancestors. You don't freak, you just let yourself be alerted.

You're not going to outrun Godzilla, anyhow. Just dodge him the best you can.

I'm not getting any fame or fortune for this.

Westcliffe, CO

#174972 Aug 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Mothra is also a staunch atheist and a firm supporter of abiogenesis....
I thought that went without saying. Obvious similarities.

:-)

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#174973 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to have to go with Poly on this one. 1+1 does not always equal 2, especially when you are adding vectors or liquids.
Math is just a language created by us to quantify reality.
Your last sentences don't make any sense. "Truth is not time dependent." Yes, yes it is.
What constructs? You believe "truth" to be a reified thing?
1 wifey + 1 Husband = BaBy 1 + 1 = 3

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#174974 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think there is one of those hiding.
But then again that wasn't my goal either :)

Westcliffe, CO

#174975 Aug 18, 2013
http://sherryandrea.com/sensitive-who-feel-ea...

More on earthquake sensitives.

The last week or so my left ear has been ringing on occasion. I am totally deaf in my left ear, and still am. Can't even feel my finger causing any noise around that left ear. That ear does not pick up sound waves.

I have felt something big coming for months. BIG.

But I don't usually do any predicting, particularly in time frames, or locations. Things are just the way they are.

Uh, Catcher, I would suggest you have duplicates made of any important papers such as wills, etc, and have them stored much further east. Anywhere between Denver and Atlanta may be OK. I would recommend Atlanta, though.

Any earthquakes will be secondary to a global reaction to an energy change.

Listen to your inner selves.

I'm not smiling.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174976 Aug 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"According to therapist Reneau Z. Peurifoy, the supposed causes of human sensitivity to earthquakes are similar to the causes of earthquake sensitivity in animals. When pressure builds up prior to an earthquake, the quartz crystal in Earth's interior is deformed and creates an electrical charge. This phenomenon, known as the piezoelectric effect, can send electrical signals to animals. It is theorised that some earthquake sensitives may also be reacting to a change in the electromagnetism of an area caused by rising stresses on geological faults. There is also the possibility that radon is emitted prior to an earthquake, enough to be noticed by sensitive humans.[6]
hahaha! You'll pardon me for laughing at the geological musings of a therapist.

- where is the organ that senses these pieqzoelectric charges? If animals had this sensory apparatus, we should be able to discover it.
- I would give you some credit if you claimed it was through ELF EM waves, to be honest

- uhm...earthquakes release pressure. They build up over long periods of time and then release it. So the hypothesis above is pretty wonky.
One earthquake sensitive mentioned in sensitive Cal Orey's The Man Who Predicts Earthquakes: Jim Berkland, maverick geologist suggested that the different crystal makeups of different regions account for distinct sounds from different areas. She thought that pressure also determined sound, and provided an example, saying how granite sounds were different from those of quartz."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_sensi...
The article itself is an attempt to debunk. But the fact is humans are animals, too, right? Some things we used to pay attention to have been civilized out of us.
That piezoelectric effect is also the reason for those hums you hear about.
Those are actual physical phenomenon. Like I said, you are trained to ignore them. Until a professor tells you they exist.
Every thing is a tuned circuit. All tuned circuits are affected by their environment.
Pay more attention to those nagging uneases you get. Saved many of your ancestors. You don't freak, you just let yourself be alerted.
You're not going to outrun Godzilla, anyhow. Just dodge him the best you can.
I'm not getting any fame or fortune for this.
Thanks for your concern.

I never know when an Earthquake is coming, Dave. I usually don't even know one is happening and instead think I'm having a stroke or getting dizzy. Then I see stuff around me moving - like hanging lights and curtains in the absence of wind.

So either I don't have this special detection organ or I ignore it totally.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174977 Aug 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think there is one of those hiding.
But then again that wasn't my goal either :)
Ah, ok. That explains it!

So. Uhm. What is time?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#174978 Aug 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I thought that went without saying. Obvious similarities.
:-)
What is the nature of time, Dave?

“Move into the light.”

Location hidden

#174979 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, wait - wouldn't time be a function of the universe in question in the multiverse hypothesis?
Is there a larger time, too? Like, if you have an infinite...er..."place " that doesn't correspond to the English word equivalent where universes are spawned, does that space have time?
Does outside our universe know that our universe is progressing through its own time? Is that a knowable thing?
Can we know about phenomena outside our universe? If there is no time outside our universe, or time is at a different pace, wouldn't that sort of constrain what is knowable from our point of view?

I don't see the question of "what is time?" but it has been asked for thousands of years. We still haven't answered that fully.
But here is an attempt to answer that question.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2164065493/

Westcliffe, CO

#174980 Aug 18, 2013
FWIW.

http://www.vice.com/video

You have to read the subtitles. Just start watching at about 45 seconds and get to the part where he says it only takes 10 seconds. You are listening to a voice of experience there.

You can watch the rest and you can see something about the effects of atheist rule there, and the aftermath.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In the Search for an Alternative to God, One Ra... (Mar '11) 9 min Patrick n Angela 692
News Debating the God question (Oct '13) 15 min Patrick n Angela 87
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 18 min Patrick n Angela 6,391
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 30 min Ooogah Boogah 14,496
News Don't let atheists grow in influence (Oct '13) 1 hr Reason Personified 215
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Denisova 17,939
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 3 hr geezerjock 1
More from around the web