Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256637 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#173661 Aug 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wrong about the smoke detectors, which Polymath politely corrected me on-- it was Americium, not Californium.
Both are artificially created by engineers. I think they use linear accelerators and bombard other metals with high energy particles to get them to transform to Americium, but I'm far from certain about that.
It wasn't crucial to your point that the physics models predict their decay accurately and that if the claims of creationists were accurate, the decay rates would be wildly different.

I love that it's in everyday household safety devices.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173663 Aug 6, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Ancient Israel history is not like that since they record their failures down to the details. The Egyptians however would probably fit your scenario and that means they were not all that big on recording jot and tittle the account of the slave class Israelites kicking their behinds and looting them. If they recorded anything they might want to be a little vague about that.
Bullshit. The Egyptians recorded **everything** of note-- including failures.

Sure, there was "spin" placed on it, but the records are there.

NONE, however mention **ANY** Jews, especially who up and LEFT.

Such a leaving would have WRECKED the local Egyptian economy too...

... which would have been reflected in ordinary commerce records.

NOTHING.

Your exodus story is fiction.

Just like the rest of your horrid monstrous bible.

What sort of GOD would DELIBERATELY USE TORTURE TO GET FOLLOWERS?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173664 Aug 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Say it ain't so!
I can't believe you're skeptical < Rolls eyes>
You better be good OR I'll spread a vicious rumor in the forum That I saw you in a Tulsa Catholic church last Sunday attempting to distribute watchtowers whilst wearing a yarmulke.
How do I know this... I had just finished cleaning my sunglasses in the holy water!
;)
You forgot to add that I escaped on camelback...

:)

Henderson, KY

#173666 Aug 6, 2013
Yes we're all historians in the region around the time Jesus was said to live. We have documented work from all of them at around that time period. Many were walking the land during his lifetime as your links clearly show.

Yet all of these men and more which you ignored lol never mentioned Jesus once. Ever. NPR did they mention his flock of followers that should have been noticed. Yet nothing. Even as a youth Jesus would have been a person of note for his genius knowledge in the temple! Jews at the time would have marveled and bragged about that until their face turned blue, patting themselves on the back over this. Yet nothing.

The Romans and Jewish leaders at the time even if you want ignore these and more which I can provide, were very good at documenting important events and people.

Oh and number 6, you are referring to a different person. I have even more historians from the time period but you have failed in dealing with what I have already provided.

Sorry, my facts stand.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>Your claim was that all 12 lived during the time of Jesus IN JERUSALEM. That was your specific claim. And now I'll provide all the links. The only reason I didn't do all 17 was to save you the embarrassment of being humiliated. You pulled writers out of their own time periods without even checking their biographies. Proof that you don't know how to do historical research. You're an embarrassment to academia and to atheism.

Once I provide these links, your humiliation will be complete and your reputation on this thread will be reduced to less than zero. And I normally don't engage in nor enjoy humiliating my opponents. However, in your case, I'll gladly do both.

1)Aulus Persius
http://hos.ou.edu/galleries//02LateAncient/Pe...

2)Columella
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/T...

3)Dio Chryscostom
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/T...

4)Justus of Tiberias
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/91...

5)Livy
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/l#a37...

6)Lucarius - I think you spelled it wrong, and you still didn't provide me with any source for him. I'll show you what I found in wikipedia. He was born in 740AD. to.
don p

Knoxville, TN

#173668 Aug 6, 2013
Tell night serf,your douche bag web master, I said he looks like a homo.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#173669 Aug 6, 2013
<quoted text>
You're comparing apples to horseshoes, here.
On one hand, you write about a **war**-- for that is what a revolt is-- a war, if limited and unsuccessful.
Whereas the execution of criminals was a **civic** matter-- not one of wartime.
I would expect to see records of all (or nearly all)**criminal** executions-- and indeed, we do.
But none with your Jesus' name on it.
A serious omission.
Especially if he had created sufficient fuss among the local Jewish leadership, so that they used the Roman system to get rid of the troublemaker.
That right there, would have been noteworthy all by itself.
Again?
Nothing.
And a very **telling** nothing it is, too.
Okay. then I'll have to ask for some sources, links, whatever you can show me. I'll look at them as objectively as I can. I'm being serious.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#173670 Aug 6, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't crucial to your point that the physics models predict their decay accurately and that if the claims of creationists were accurate, the decay rates would be wildly different.
I love that it's in everyday household safety devices.
bla bla bla
don p

Knoxville, TN

#173671 Aug 6, 2013
bob, you dont deserve caps. I know ya stupid ass wont remember a fellow atheist, but Jack is feeling eternal pain.... Dissect that.....

Henderson, KY

#173672 Aug 6, 2013
Read your bible. Everything he mentioned is in there.

SMH
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>Okay. then I'll have to ask for some sources, links, whatever you can show me. I'll look at them as objectively as I can. I'm being serious.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#173673 Aug 6, 2013
<quoted text>
As I understand it, the Sun's age is calculated by the current Helium content of the sun, He being a byproduct of Hydrogen fusion (naturally). And the assumption that the sun would have formed with the same ration of hydrogen/helium as is found in our local area via spectrograph analysis.
In short? Our sun has "too much" helium, as compared to other nearby non-star accumulations of matter. And measuring the rate of accumulation, with the current quantity, gives us it's age.
It's really not all that complicated a concept, once you understand some basics.
Of course, the **maths** involved would be calculus, right?:D
That would put it well beyond the abilities of your average god-believer...

I would imagine most is done with super computer modeling, anymore anyway.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#173674 Aug 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Bullshit. The Egyptians recorded **everything** of note-- including failures.
Sure, there was "spin" placed on it, but the records are there.
NONE, however mention **ANY** Jews, especially who up and LEFT.
Such a leaving would have WRECKED the local Egyptian economy too...
... which would have been reflected in ordinary commerce records.
NOTHING.
Your exodus story is fiction.
Just like the rest of your horrid monstrous bible.
What sort of GOD would DELIBERATELY USE TORTURE TO GET FOLLOWERS?
Hmmm?
LOL The Romans were the slave drivers, they say every house had 2-3 or more.

Some stable somewhere

#173675 Aug 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
bla bla bla
bla-bla?

Some stable somewhere

#173676 Aug 6, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. then I'll have to ask for some sources, links, whatever you can show me. I'll look at them as objectively as I can. I'm being serious.
"Archaeologist Israel Finkelstein of Tel Aviv University also points out that there's no physical evidence that thousands of people wandered for decades in the desert. Besides, Jericho and other Canaanite cities described in the Bible didn't exist when the Israelites were supposed to be conquering them. Finkelstein says the Bible isn't just fantasy, though. He thinks the first books of the Bible were written in the seventh and sixth centuries B.C., long after the Exodus might have happened. The writers drew on a pool of folk tales, of myths, of shreds of evidence to build a history for Israel, he says."

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles...

It's only a news story, but they're interviewing archaeologists.

Some stable somewhere

#173677 Aug 6, 2013
don p wrote:
bob, you dont deserve caps. I know ya stupid ass wont remember a fellow atheist, but Jack is feeling eternal pain.... Dissect that.....
You are human scum.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#173678 Aug 6, 2013
After a quick search on Google I'm noticing a trend. First of all, it must be acknowledged that very good records of Roman activity have been found in Egypt where the climate is conducive to such preservation of documents. Parts of Israel? Not so much. So we can't assume that the passage of time has worked in either your favor or mine. Records could have been kept but there is no reason to suggest that they survived to the modern era. So we're both left empty handed. If you want to claim a victory based upon the absence of evidence, it's a hollow victory because we don't know for sure if Pilate wrote anything or not. He may have, and it may just be lost to history.

Secondly, another important point is that Rome was all about it's citizens. And guess what? Most Jews of first century Palestine were NOT Roman citizens. Jesus wouldn't have received much historical reporting at all unless he was actually leading an armed revolt. And he wasn't.

So on these two points, it's not unreasonable to conclude that Jesus would have never been written about. He wasn't a Roman citizen, and he wasn't a militant revolutionary. The standard reaction would be to disregard him as another irrelevant religious fruitcake. So why write about him?

Now if you want to insist that SOMEBODY with Roman status wrote about him, then we have to go back to Josephus and Paul. Both were Roman citizens. And they're the closest sources we have with regard to contemporary or near-contemporary accounts.

Here's a publication by Mary Smallwood that will confirm the point I have made.

"no complementary accounts written from the Roman angle survive to balance that of Josephus .... In Roman eyes Judea was an unimportant province and most events there were too insignificant to merit a place in the record of the empire as a whole until a major war developed"

http://books.google.com.au/books...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#173679 Aug 6, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
bla-bla?
bla.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#173680 Aug 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes we're all historians in the region around the time Jesus was said to live. We have documented work from all of them at around that time period. Many were walking the land during his lifetime as your links clearly show.
Yet all of these men and more which you ignored lol never mentioned Jesus once. Ever. NPR did they mention his flock of followers that should have been noticed. Yet nothing. Even as a youth Jesus would have been a person of note for his genius knowledge in the temple! Jews at the time would have marveled and bragged about that until their face turned blue, patting themselves on the back over this. Yet nothing.
The Romans and Jewish leaders at the time even if you want ignore these and more which I can provide, were very good at documenting important events and people.
Oh and number 6, you are referring to a different person. I have even more historians from the time period but you have failed in dealing with what I have already provided.
Sorry, my facts stand.
<quoted text>
Your facts stand in sand. On number 6 I am not referring to a different person they are the same, you know it, and you're a deliberately dishonest liar. You're giving intellectual atheism a bad name. There. I said it. And I don't regret saying it. Now if you wish to keep playing this silly game that you suck at, then you'll need to come up with some real evidence. I need to see something. I posted links to support every refutation, and all of them were from secular sources. Surely you can do the same. Oh and about your reference to Seneca, you didn't say if it was Seneca the Elder or Seneca the Younger. You might want to specify before throwing your monkey poop at the wall to see what sticks. You're pathetic.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173681 Aug 6, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Google is your friend here.

I'm sorry-- I no longer have access to that material-- it was quite a while ago, and mostly in dead-tree editions (which I no longer have).

Be that as it may? It hardly matters, does it?

The most damning thing is this:

**nothing** by **any** historian about Jesus **during** his alleged lifetime.

Not one jot.

Not even a tiddle.(to borrow from Proverbs)

Why?

If Jesus was so **all** fired **important**?

Would not it behoove god to see that Jesus was ...**documented**?

As a bare minimum of behavior?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173682 Aug 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I would imagine most is done with super computer modeling, anymore anyway.
True.

But even those super computers must be programmed-- using the correct maths.

And making a computer do calculus? Isn't as easy as it is teaching your average human.

I know-- I learned calculus back in the day, and I have programmed computers too-- I was a programmer for 17 years, in fact.

On the other hand, doing the multiple-sum simulations, which would take a human days or years, it a matter of seconds or at worst, minutes on a super computer, so...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173683 Aug 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> LOL The Romans were the slave drivers, they say every house had 2-3 or more.
Yes... Rome's economy, like much of the world in those days, was slave-based.

Not a lot has changed in the interim, has it?

We're still slaves to our needs, even today.

At least we have the freedom to move elsewhere, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 46 min Richardfs 614
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 1 hr Eagle 12 808
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Into The Night 43,411
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Thinking 794
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Into The Night 18,701
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 21,243
News Why I quit atheism 2 hr Eagle 12 728
More from around the web