Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239089 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

UK

#172962 Jul 25, 2013
Some DMs were humourless.

"No, you can't call your character 'Eric the Cleric'. This isn't all a bloody joke, you know. You must give him a different name."

"How about Derek?"

"Get out."
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Go ahead, annoy the DM.
It's your soul."
Laffin. Once upon a time, yes, even I went there.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#172963 Jul 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"No, you can't call your character 'Eric the Cleric'. This isn't all a bloody joke, you know. You must give him a different name."
"How about Derek?"
"Get out."
<quoted text>
Hehehe.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#172964 Jul 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"How about Derek?"
"Get out."
<quoted text>
Those people are like religious nuts, Those people hate uber too, obviously you don't want to name your character Jon Luke Piccard to play in LOTRs , but who gives a rats ass if you did? LOL I remember a Russian that had a chara named
Windows XP...lmao

Westcliffe, CO

#172965 Jul 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
STG law is in 17 states.
What would happen if the "suspicious person" was a unarmed white teen , was shot dead, and the shooter claimed self-defense?
There would be no white mobs in the street chanting "No justice, no peace!" There would be no whites holding a "million hoodie march" in NYC.
There would be no white equivalent of Al Sharpton, the professional race-baiter behind the 1987 Tawana Brawley hoax, leading marches in the streets of the shooter's hometown.
There would be no Federal civil rights investigation by the Justice Department.
There would be no comments from a president who seems congenitally unable to keep his mouth shut on matters involving left-wing political correctness.
And there would be no national media attention from biased, left-wing "reporters."
In all probability, the actions of Zimmerman in Florida were also based on a series of poor decisions: the decision to follow a suspect after a police dispatcher told him not to, the decision to confront a suspect with a firearm off his own property, and a split-second decision to shoot an unarmed person when Zimmerman felt his life was in imminent danger, resulting in tragedy.
But a tragedy is not necessarily a Federal civil rights case - unless the mobs in the streets and their allies in the media and government want to make it one.
The truth of the matter is that "civil rights" cases are often little more than reverse lynch mobs.
Today, blacks often led by the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, lead street protests or riots, and the Federal government comes after white suspects with the "rope" of "civil rights" charges.
And just like the old Southern sheriffs with ties to the Klan who turned a blind eye to the illegal actions of whites, the Department of Justice often refuses to act on "civil rights" violations when the perpetrators are black and the victims are white.
In the eyes of the Federal government and the political Left, all whites are forever suspected of being Klansmen with shotguns in their pickup trucks, and all blacks are perpetually innocent, doe-eyed victims of white oppression.
I seldom agree with Bill O'Reilly but someone sent me this link...
http://www.billoreilly.com/video...
Back on topic I find it ironic is 76-year-old Virgin is in the land of non-versions a.k.a. Brazil!
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/race-baiting...

Be sure to read the second page and note the uses of AZ Tea and Skittles, and the text exchanges.
Thinking

UK

#172966 Jul 25, 2013
This DM didn't like 'Aladdin the Paladin', either. I didn't play once I hit 17 (my age - not a roll on a D20) as a result.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Those people are like religious nuts, Those people hate uber too, obviously you don't want to name your character Jon Luke Piccard to play in LOTRs , but who gives a rats ass if you did? LOL I remember a Russian that had a chara named
Windows XP...lmao

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#172967 Jul 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
STG law is in 17 states.
What would happen if the "suspicious person" was a unarmed white teen , was shot dead, and the shooter claimed self-defense?
If the shooter was black, he would have been arrested immediately and ultimately found guilty in spite of SYG. That didn't happen with Zimmerman, which is why there was an issue.

Let's put it a different way. Suppose your daughter was walking home alone and a strange man followed along in a car. The man then gets out of the car and want to know what your daughter wanted around there. Is it safe to assume she would at first ignore the stranger? If the stranger then got upset and confronted your daughter, would she not fight back? And if the stranger *at any point* felt scared, would he have the right to shoot your daughter?

The system isn't grotesquely unfair to black male teens. If the races were switched, the black man shooting the white teenager would have had a 20 year sentence. Sort of like the woman who shot *into the air* to warn off her *abusive* husband. oh, she was black. I guess SYG doesn't apply to her.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#172968 Jul 25, 2013
Sorry, it *is* grotesquely unfair to black male teens.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#172969 Jul 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
STG law is in 17 states.
There would be no white mobs in the street chanting "No justice, no peace!" There would be no whites holding a "million hoodie march" in NYC.
There would be no white equivalent of Al Sharpton, the professional race-baiter behind the 1987 Tawana Brawley hoax, leading marches in the streets of the shooter's hometown.
There would be no Federal civil rights investigation by the Justice Department.
There would be no comments from a president who seems congenitally unable to keep his mouth shut on matters involving left-wing political correctness.
And there would be no national media attention from biased, left-wing "reporters."
In all probability, the actions of Zimmerman in Florida were also based on a series of poor decisions: the decision to follow a suspect after a police dispatcher told him not to, the decision to confront a suspect with a firearm off his own property, and a split-second decision to shoot an unarmed person when Zimmerman felt his life was in imminent danger, resulting in tragedy.
But a tragedy is not necessarily a Federal civil rights case - unless the mobs in the streets and their allies in the media and government want to make it one.
The truth of the matter is that "civil rights" cases are often little more than reverse lynch mobs.
Today, blacks often led by the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, lead street protests or riots, and the Federal government comes after white suspects with the "rope" of "civil rights" charges.
And just like the old Southern sheriffs with ties to the Klan who turned a blind eye to the illegal actions of whites, the Department of Justice often refuses to act on "civil rights" violations when the perpetrators are black and the victims are white.
In the eyes of the Federal government and the political Left, all whites are forever suspected of being Klansmen with shotguns in their pickup trucks, and all blacks are perpetually innocent, doe-eyed victims of white oppression.
I seldom agree with Bill O'Reilly but someone sent me this link...
Back on topic I find it ironic is 76-year-old Virgin is in the land of non-versions a.k.a. Brazil!
and no whites are protesting this story either:
Fla. woman Marissa Alexander gets 20 years for "warning shot": Did she stand her ground?

Jacksonville mother Marissa Alexander was sentenced by a Florida judge to 20 years in prison for firing what she says was a "warning shot" into the wall after a physical altercation with her husband, Rico Gray.

The case has set off yet another controversy involving the state's "stand your ground" law, which is under intense scrutiny after the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in February. Critics, including Congresswoman Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), are crying foul. How, they ask, could a 31-year-old woman in a relationship with a man who had a history of domestic violence, and whose actions did not result in any physical injury, be sentenced to two decades in prison while George Zimmerman, the man who shot and killed Martin, is out on bail?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-574347...

Westcliffe, CO

#172970 Jul 25, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>and no whites are protesting this story either:
Fla. woman Marissa Alexander gets 20 years for "warning shot": Did she stand her ground?
Jacksonville mother Marissa Alexander was sentenced by a Florida judge to 20 years in prison for firing what she says was a "warning shot" into the wall after a physical altercation with her husband, Rico Gray.
The case has set off yet another controversy involving the state's "stand your ground" law, which is under intense scrutiny after the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in February. Critics, including Congresswoman Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), are crying foul. How, they ask, could a 31-year-old woman in a relationship with a man who had a history of domestic violence, and whose actions did not result in any physical injury, be sentenced to two decades in prison while George Zimmerman, the man who shot and killed Martin, is out on bail?
Angela Corey is the one catching the hell from Rep Brown. She is the DA who crucified Marissa Alexander. She should never have been charged. Lots of people are real upset with Ms. Corey's liberal style.
Thinking

UK

#172971 Jul 25, 2013
Guns make outcomes so very final. Without a gun being involved, this would probably just have been an assault case.
polymath257 wrote:
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#172972 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the shooter was black, he would have been arrested immediately and ultimately found guilty in spite of SYG. That didn't happen with Zimmerman, which is why there was an issue.
Let's put it a different way. Suppose your daughter was walking home alone and a strange man followed along in a car. The man then gets out of the car and want to know what your daughter wanted around there. Is it safe to assume she would at first ignore the stranger? If the stranger then got upset and confronted your daughter, would she not fight back? And if the stranger *at any point* felt scared, would he have the right to shoot your daughter?
The system isn't grotesquely unfair to black male teens. If the races were switched, the black man shooting the white teenager would have had a 20 year sentence. Sort of like the woman who shot *into the air* to warn off her *abusive* husband. oh, she was black. I guess SYG doesn't apply to her.
This case should never have gone to trial!

Zero evidence zero credibility.

The verdict was a forgone conclusion.

Reviewing Florida state law and statutes and state instructions to the jury there was no other possible verdict.

The prosecution should've understood this!

They are supposed to be professional attorneys.

Instead they allowed themselves to be driven by professional race Baiters.

And yes it's ironic that the states star witness turned out to be the defense star witness.

This kid was already in trouble.
If he had not "whooped" GZ, He would be pursuing his ongoing criminal activities, Which he himself outlined in Twitter and Facebook.

If his parents did any serious parenting he would have been living with one of them And not being suspended from school multiple times.

What were the parents thinking after suspension number one? what action did they take?- apparently neither one did anything.

Where were all those tears then?

I do not watch Fox news but a friend sent me this link and for once O'Reilly has something to say that made sense.

See 7/22 clip

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#172973 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The situation is grossly different.
She left, returned days later demanded he leave, he would not.
She went to her car and got a gun and demanded he and her children leave. He would not so she fired the gun.

Now you please explain when her life was in danger?
She could have , and should have just left.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172974 Jul 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Go ahead, annoy the DM.
It's your soul."
Laffin. Once upon a time, yes, even I went there.
I had one idiot, who was a friend of a friend, who had a thief/assassin.

That was fine-- thieves are a long tradition after all.

But this idiot insisted he could "assassinate" a monster-- mid-dungeon crawl!

WTF?

He was one of those rule-book "lawyer" types. I tried to reason with him-- as the DM, my world-- my rules.

He wasn't having any... he insisted, in spite of the description indicating that assassination was something that required at least a modicum of prep-work and planning, and wasn't "just another way to attack in melee".

So.

A few turns later? Imagine that-- the mother-of-all piercers dropped out of the cave-ceiling, onto his assassin character.

Rule 1 of D&D: never argue with the DM, who **literally** controls the gods of the campaign.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172975 Jul 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"How about Derek?"
"Get out."
<quoted text>
LOL!

Took himself a wee bit too seriously, did he?

LOL!

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#172976 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:

You tell me whats unfair.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172977 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Those people are like religious nuts, Those people hate uber too, obviously you don't want to name your character Jon Luke Piccard to play in LOTRs , but who gives a rats ass if you did? LOL I remember a Russian that had a chara named
Windows XP...lmao
Windows XP? That's a hoot.

I always enjoyed joke-name characters myself.

I had a whole string of second-tier fighters named after various cuts of beef.. the last one named "Hamburger" before the DM caught on that running a second-rate character with super-crap stats wasn't much fun. So these toons would get sent up front, into the meat grinder...

... the first one was named after an obscure sausage, naturally.

:)

When we finally disbanded, I still had me an 18th level Druid named Balsawood, though. He became one of my favorite toons to play.

He started out rather poorly, but just would not die...

... <grin>
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#172978 Jul 25, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>and no whites are protesting this story either:

We are a land of laws and the law was served.

On a sidenote GZ is opening a new candy:
ACQUITTALS

Not available in chocolate.

Here is an insightful piece by Bill Cosby.

http://www.californiaindianeducation.org/indi...

We Cannot Blame the White People any Longer

By Dr. William Henry 'Bill' Cosby, Jr., Ed.D.

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English.

I can't even talk the way these people talk:
"Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...".

And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.
And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.
In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an Education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.
The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.

These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids.
$500 sneakers for what?
And they won't spend $200 for "Hooked on Phonics."

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.
Where were you when he was 2?
Where were you when he was 12?
Where were you when he was 18, and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol?

And where is the father? Or who is his father?
People putting their clothes on backward. Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles (piercings) going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from?

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa.
I say this all of the time it would be like white people saying they are European-American that is totally stupid.

I was born here, and so were my parents and grand parents and, very likely my great grandparents. I don't have any connection to Africa, no more than white Americans have to Germany, Scotland, England, Ireland, or the Netherlands.

The same applies to 99 percent of all the black Americans as regards to Africa so stop, already!

With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap...and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.

We have got to take the neighborhood back.
People used to be ashamed.
Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.
We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs.

We, as black folks, have to do a better job.
Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard....
It's NOT about color...It's about behavior!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172979 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.

But even still? SYG law is effed up most severely-- it rewards people who **kill** their alleged "attackers".

Thus encouraging people to do exactly that, instead of

... say...

.... firing warning shots instead...

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172980 Jul 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Angela Corey is the one catching the hell from Rep Brown. She is the DA who crucified Marissa Alexander. She should never have been charged. Lots of people are real upset with Ms. Corey's liberal style.
So?

The woman **should** have been able to get off scott FREE, just like Zimmerman did-- she Stood Her Ground.

Yet, because she is **black** and even worse, a **woman** she gets 20 years?

It has **nothing** to do with liberalism-- and has EVERYTHING to do with how the laws are applied vis a vis RACE.

For that?

You have to thank conservitards and the ReThuglicans.

After all-- Jewsus was **white**, right?

... right?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#172981 Jul 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I had one idiot, who was a friend of a friend, who had a thief/assassin.
That was fine-- thieves are a long tradition after all.
But this idiot insisted he could "assassinate" a monster-- mid-dungeon crawl!
WTF?
He was one of those rule-book "lawyer" types. I tried to reason with him-- as the DM, my world-- my rules.
He wasn't having any... he insisted, in spite of the description indicating that assassination was something that required at least a modicum of prep-work and planning, and wasn't "just another way to attack in melee".
So.
A few turns later? Imagine that-- the mother-of-all piercers dropped out of the cave-ceiling, onto his assassin character.
Rule 1 of D&D: never argue with the DM, who **literally** controls the gods of the campaign.
:D
*snicker*

I know.

I once hand to drop one of Zelazny's Rakasha on an obnoxious player.

Fried him on the spot, of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 45 min thetruth 7,459
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 51 min thetruth 7,360
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr Siro 105
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 18 hr hpcaban 30
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web