Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#172001 Jul 13, 2013
Those who are looking for contradictions may therefore say,“See—the Bible is full of mistakes!” and choose to reject it entirely as being untrustworthy. However, those who trust God have no problem believing

The godly base their confidence on two truths: 1)“all Scripture is given by inspiration of God”(2 Timothy 3:16); and 2) an elementary rule of Scripture is that God has deliberately included seeming contradictions in His Word to “snare” the proud. He has “hidden” things from the “wise and prudent” and “revealed them to babes”(Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27).

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#172002 Jul 13, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Those who are looking for contradictions may therefore say,“See—the Bible is full of mistakes!” and choose to reject it entirely as being untrustworthy. However, those who trust God have no problem believing
The godly base their confidence on two truths: 1)“all Scripture is given by inspiration of God”(2 Timothy 3:16); and 2) an elementary rule of Scripture is that God has deliberately included seeming contradictions in His Word to “snare” the proud. He has “hidden” things from the “wise and prudent” and “revealed them to babes”(Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27).
Oh this makes my problems with the bible even bigger! I wasn't even aware of these verse's, but I can see now how someone who has stated that they were saved, and has asked for wisdom in understanding the bible can be very dis-heartened when they still do not understand the words, and in the bible apparently god even states that if you don't understand it then you must not be wise. So god was basically calling me stupid all of those years. Nice.

Location hidden

#172003 Jul 13, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Yes, I See You... there is life beyond the end of your nose! What don't you understand about Osama's explanation that what ungodly people see as mistakes, and confliting statements in The Bible that has to be seen through the eyes of the believer? Sorry, I See You... but, you don't see very much do you? Osama put it to you non-believers in plain English. Osama even put it into layman's terms so that you who are uneducated, and can't comprehend more sophisticated writings could understand. Please reread Osama's simple explanation about reading and understanding The Bible!
>:)
O.k....aside from many years of having questions that god never gave me the wisdom to understand (questions about things in the bible) Let's just start with that one question. Was Joseph's father Jacob or Heli?

Location hidden

#172004 Jul 13, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Yes, I See You... there is life beyond the end of your nose! What don't you understand about Osama's explanation that what ungodly people see as mistakes, and confliting statements in The Bible that has to be seen through the eyes of the believer? Sorry, I See You... but, you don't see very much do you? Osama put it to you non-believers in plain English. Osama even put it into layman's terms so that you who are uneducated, and can't comprehend more sophisticated writings could understand. Please reread Osama's simple explanation about reading and understanding The Bible!
>:)
Maybe you were the person I was supposed to ask this whole time lol :)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#172005 Jul 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is much to be said for getting it right the first time, and not professing those ultimately mistakes as "truths" in the search for knowledge, which is almost always the case.
First, if you know a way to get it right the first time, every time, let people know. The evidence is often ambiguous. It often takes more experiments to determine which of several interpretations is correct. And, unfortunately, science is often transmitted to the public by journalists and not by scientists. That means that 'dramatic' results are often presented as facts when the scientists themselves see them as ambiguous and inconclusive.

I don't think the scientific method is perfect. It is just better than any other method we have found for finding truth. It doesn't do so immediately in all cases. It is often slower about discovery than an impatient public would like. And mistakes are made. But the system is self-correcting.
Your approach there is just science apologetics. Your belief system justifies those mistakes and lives lost and other harmful things to mankind in your "search for knowledge". The means justifies the end. You are totally ignoring the personal aspects of the living experience and the rights of individuals to experience them. Your god is this nebulous desire to conquer the universe which your own science says will be impossible.
Again, it is often not obvious how to interpret the initial evidence, or even accumulated evidence which often seems contradictory. You can argue that scientists should be more clear about what is verified and what is controversial and what is pure speculation. But the journalists often see this as waffling when it is just being honest. Unfortunately, honest caution in the interpretation of evidence doesn't sell magazines.

Yes, it would be nice to get it right the first time. Everyone would strongly prefer that. But that simply isn't reasonable in practice. What *is* reasonable is that further tests will show where the mistakes were made, where the data was misinterpreted, and how to prevent mistakes like that from happening again.
You speak of 20 and 50 year periods to prove something by lasting. Religions and theistic, deistic, and beliefs in the supernatural have lasted for thousands of years. They have been put to the test repeatedly and severely. Why are you now saying they are all wrong out of hand?
You are caught in a cult.
I am saying that the methods of skepticism, of having observation trump philosophical speculation, and of realizing that evidence is always tentative is something that is anathema to religion, but is the basis of science. Religious ideas are not tested, are not challenged in ways that definitively establish which are false, and are seen as 'sacred' and therefore unable to be questioned. Religious ideas 'work' only because they are not really challenged.

You seem to think it is always obvious what the truth is, how evidence should be interpreted, that honest mistakes cannot be made, and that others will always be as cautious as those who are looking for the truth are. That is simply not reality.

So the question is whether we will seek further knowledge at all. If we seek truth, we will make mistakes. Unfortunately, people may suffer because of those mistakes. But the alternative is to never seek new truths at all. Is that really what you think we should do?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#172006 Jul 13, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
BS!
If science correct it self then String theory would not be called a theory because it has failed every single test put to it. GR and QM should not be called theory's sense they fail in each others realm. A theory must work everywhere and there is not TWO everywheres.
Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.
A scientific theory in one branch of science must hold true in all of the other branches of science.
From Nova:
"For decades, every attempt to describe the force of gravity in the same language as the other forces—the language of quantum mechanics—has met with disaster
S. JAMES GATES, JR.: You try to put those two pieces of mathematics together, they do not coexist peacefully.
The laws of nature are supposed to apply everywhere. So if Einstein's laws are supposed to apply everywhere, and the laws of quantum mechanics are supposed to apply everywhere, well you can't have two separate everywheres.
BRIAN GREENE: In the years since, physics split into two separate camps: one that uses general relativity to study big and heavy objects, things like stars, galaxies and the universe as a whole...
...and another that uses quantum mechanics to study the tiniest of objects, like atoms and particles. This has been kind of like having two families that just cannot get along and never talk to each other...
There just seemed to be no way to combine quantum mechanics...
and general relativity in a single theory that could describe the universe on all scales.
So here's the question: if you're trying to figure out what happens in the depths of a black hole, where an entire star is crushed to a tiny speck, do you use general relativity because the star is incredibly heavy or quantum mechanics because it's incredibly tiny?
Well, that's the problem. Since the center of a black hole is both tiny and heavy, you can't avoid using both theories at the same time. And when we try to put the two theories together in the realm of black holes, they conflict. It breaks down. They give nonsensical predictions. And the universe is not nonsensical; it's got to make sense.
BRIAN GREENE: It's a little known secret but for more than half a century a dark cloud has been looming over modern science. Here's the problem: our understanding of the universe is based on two separate theories. One is Einstein's general theory of relativity—that's a way of understanding the biggest things in the universe, things like stars and galaxies. But the littlest things in the universe, atoms and subatomic particles, play by an entirely different set of rules called, "quantum Mechanics"
These two sets of rules are each incredibly accurate in their own domain but whenever we try to combine them, to solve some of the deepest mysteries in the universe, disaster strikes.
Take the beginning of the universe, the "big bang." At that instant a tiny nugget erupted violently. Over the next 14 billion years the universe expanded and cooled into the stars, galaxies and planets we see today. But if we run the cosmic film in reverse, everything that's now rushing apart comes back together, so the universe gets smaller, hotter and denser as we head back to the beginning of time.
As we reach the big bang, when the universe was both enormously heavy and incredibly tiny, our projector jams. Our two laws of physics, when combined, break down.
Yet another repost of something you clearly do not understand. Yes, you post without comprehension.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#172007 Jul 13, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh this makes my problems with the bible even bigger! I wasn't even aware of these verse's, but I can see now how someone who has stated that they were saved, and has asked for wisdom in understanding the bible can be very dis-heartened when they still do not understand the words, and in the bible apparently god even states that if you don't understand it then you must not be wise. So god was basically calling me stupid all of those years. Nice.
There is alot more in the bible you don't know about

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#172008 Jul 13, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>cause its not true! GOD created man
OK so - Where did god come from? Well, you and I both know (I think) that all matter and energy has always existed. So - God created all this is stuff only 6,000 years ago. Is God is made of energy and matter? If God is "not" of energy and matter, then there was nothing in the beginning, including a vacuum, right? On another topic, let's nail this down. Do you know that God is Supernatural? If so, that would explain everything, and I have no need to post to you any longer.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#172009 Jul 13, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>There is alot more in the bible you don't know about
All my life I have heard that NO lay person should try to interpret the bible (yes, we may read it, as a novel, with no interpretation on our lay part), as that is up to the ministers and holy priests who have ultimate expertise in this area of understanding. So, if we are NOT to read the bible, why do you and others here continue to refer to it? When you reference a psalm, for instance, are you in effect saying that we should bring it to our priest's attention for interpretation?

Location hidden

#172010 Jul 13, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
If you are going to make statements like that then you should be ready for me to ask this question...."What might that be?"

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#172011 Jul 14, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
The godly base their confidence on two truths: 1)“all Scripture is given by inspiration of God”
Oh...inspiration.

I always thought the preachers were saying desperation.

My bad.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#172012 Jul 14, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
That's right you are all liars with no evidence.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#172013 Jul 14, 2013
It's no surprise that he knows so little of his own bible. He is a mindless sheep who merely followers orders of his preacher man.
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Everything to you is gay so when do you come out.

BTW Those are direct quotes from the bibull are you now denying your own book of myths by careful your god will smite you.

Louisville, KY

#172014 Jul 14, 2013
Those are directions retard. Show us the corners on a circle.

Lmao!

No wonder you spend so much time in the men's room examining men's crotches!

Wipe your chin dumbass!
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>north, south, east, west,

Louisville, KY

#172015 Jul 14, 2013
What lie did he catch he in? Show the lie and his proof that it is a lie.

Any year now.
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't the Tsar expose you as a liar? Sure he did! So, no one will believe any of your bullshi+ posts now! Well, except for your miniscule group of atheists in The Three Blind Mice Club. Liars leading liars, the blind leading the blind, fools leading fools, the Pied Piper of the Troop of Wilderness Wanderers ... leading those pathetic souls down the broad highway to the Fire & Brimstone oven. Osama has never witnessed a soul burning ... but, it's got to hurt like hell, don't ya think!
>:/

Louisville, KY

#172016 Jul 14, 2013
He and Tacitus would have been flogged and ran out of town if they were lucky had they really wrote such things.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. It doesn't follow.

Josephus is hesitant to speak about pagan deities, but he'll talk about a Judaic false messiah in terms that would infuriate Jews.

Riiiight.

Apologetics aren't based on reason or logic.

Louisville, KY

#172017 Jul 14, 2013
Oh several scholars do including apologetic friendly Bart Ehrman and several others.
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Who says that there are errors in The Bible, other than you deaf, dumb, and blind atheists who want to believe that there are errors in the Bible? The Written Word of God is perfect, error free! The Books of the Bible contain many curious mysteries and quotes. They are in the Bible for a reason ... and, when we believers are filled with the Holy Spirit, and God sees our faithfulness, He will open our blind eyes, and, behold, in heavenly awe ... we will see right before our eyes, all of the answers of not only the mysteries of the Bible, and Heaven and Earth, but, also, the entire universe! Praise be to God!
<:)

Louisville, KY

#172018 Jul 14, 2013
Nobody here is judging you a self admitted gay man. Enjoy yourself in the men's room.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>please don't bring the gay thing in this

Louisville, KY

#172019 Jul 14, 2013
No doubt he is obviously gay and also being Christian that must cause his mental illness.

Perhaps he should become a Unitarian?
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you keep talking about homosexuals?

Come out of the closet already, we all know you want to.

Louisville, KY

#172020 Jul 14, 2013
Not that it matters as Jesus had to take away her vadge so she could go into heaven.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I guess that would technically make it a virgin rebirth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 min oneear69 22,414
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 1 hr Reason Personified 7
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick n Angela 492
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 1 hr nOgOd 1
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 2 hr sava 3
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 3 hr Patrick n Angela 4,511
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 5 hr hpcaban 348
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE