Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#171706 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
If you are really a deist, why would you care about someone mocking the failures of Christianity?
Most deists mock the failings of Christianity as well.
<quoted text>
Because you aren't qualified to mock anyone.

You have no class, kid.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#171707 Jul 10, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to make it up. But the majority of sources on the internet are pro-Christian sources, BECAUSE of the evidence. The atheist always wants to claim that such websites are biased and dismiss the argument on that level which is nothing more than lazy. If you want to find out, google it. I'm not going to waste my time listing we bsites that you're going to dismissed because of "bias" anyway. When I write, it's to be read, to let the narrative sink in a little if the reader is open minded enough. If not, it's your choice. If I quote somebody else, I'll list it. If it's not a direct quote, I'll tell you to google it for yourself. So stop whining and google it.
You'll find arguments for or against just about anything.
Arguemetum ad populum = epic fail

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#171708 Jul 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Church key?
Did you change the lock?

I'm on my way.

Is it still Happy Hour?

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#171709 Jul 10, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, all history that we haven't witnessed is hearsay if we're passing on the tradition. Here's an example for your consideration.
My great great grandfather fought in the 3 day Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War, and was wounded on the first day. He was a member of the 76th NY Infantry from Cortland County. I was told this by my mother. She was told this by her mother, and she was told by her mother, and she was told by her mother and father. What proof do I have in my possession? I have a copy of his pension from the War Department, and a digital copy of a young man in civil war attire, holding a derringer. Our family has preserved the stories he told his daughter (my great-grandmother) about the things he did and the things he witnessed. She passed that on to her daughter (my grandmother), who in turn passed it down to my mother, who in turn passed it down to me. It's been 150 years since the battle. I have an oral tradition that hasn't been exaggerated, I have a single piece of paper detailing a pension for a war injury, and a digital copy of a grainy black and white image of a young man in civil war attire. That's all I have. Now if I cross check, I can know that the 76th NY Infantry fought on the first day of the battle. There's one single stone monument that marks the position of the 76th NY Infantry on July 1st 1863. That's it. Nothing more to know in relation to my grandfather being at this historic event from 150 years ago. At best, my family history is circumstantial. It's hearsay. I never met my great-great-grandfather. Nobody ever wrote a book about him, yet he existed. Do you doubt anything I've told you about my great-great-grandfather?
In comparison, with Jesus, we have at least 2 hostile secular accounts from hostile sources, and we have 4 sources that were friendly (the gospels). None of them are contemporary, and they don't NEED to be. Nobody wrote down my great-great-grandfather's account of what it was like to lay wounded on the battlefield for 2 days before receiving any first-aid whatsoever, until about 10 years ago. It was always maintained in family stories that NEVER changed or exaggerated any detail.
My point? There's more written evidence for Jesus from 2,000 years ago, than there is for my great-great-grandfather from just 150 years ago. Of course you'll claim that my great-great-grandfather's existence is irrelevant to this conversation. Do you know why it's irrelevant? Because your eternal future isn't at stake or dependent upon the existence of my great-great-grandfather.
If you look at every argument that you reject for the existence of Jesus, despite the fact that we repeat the same information, your own emotional bias comes shining through like the sun. If we wanted to make this up to convince you, why would we keep repeating the same arguments? Wouldn't we make up new arguments? What possible motive could I have to get you to change your heart and mind? It's not like I'm going to make any money off my efforts. I'm not going to get extra credit in the after-life. I'm not looking for bragging rights. I'm not running for office. What can I possibly gain?
Believing in the existence of my great-great-grandfather doesn't require any internal change of heart. But believing in Jesus does, and there is the difference.
BM?

Is that you?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#171710 Jul 10, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you change the lock?
I'm on my way.
Is it still Happy Hour?
We turned tap water into Chateau Margaux.

Is the Church of the Holy Catcher with it?

Or what?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171711 Jul 10, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
To relate that to current times, does Salmon Rushdie ring a bell?
At least Christianity in the US isn't QUITE that intolerant.
Close, but not quite.
The really good Christians bomb abortion clinics and kill people to save lives. Ironic, huh?

They've taken it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner.

That relates to current times too.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171713 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.france24.com/en/20130709-unique-eg...
Guess they didn't record everything.
"Egyptian records tell us that those foreign rulers... plundered and desecrated the local temples and did all kinds of terrible things, and it is possible that some of this looting included a statue like this one".

Then again, maybe they did.

putz

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171714 Jul 10, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing can exist or move with out time.
2 demential objects also do not exist in our universe. Didn't you know this?
How can the BB come about with out time?
Where did time come from if nothing existed with out it?
Your brain dementia exists in the universe. Your posts prove it...over and over again.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#171715 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.france24.com/en/20130709-unique-eg ...
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
"Egyptian records tell us that those foreign rulers... plundered and desecrated the local temples and did all kinds of terrible things, and it is possible that some of this looting included a statue like this one".
putz
You missed the "possible" in your haste to snipe. Most of the article emphasized it was a big surprise.

You have some anger issues that get in the way of rational discourse.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#171716 Jul 10, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
The really good Christians bomb abortion clinics and kill people to save lives. Ironic, huh?
They've taken it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner.
That relates to current times too.
:)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171718 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What non biblical writings about Jesus would that be Dave? Ones written decades if not centuries later?
<quoted text>
Dave has not disappointed us. Grandpa Simpson is not the caricature, Dave is.

T Town now has a colleague;0)

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171720 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
In that case you will now be reported for any vulgar, insulting posts from here on out.
If you live in a glass house best not throw stones eh?
<quoted text>
reported

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171721 Jul 10, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to agree that the churches...no matter the denomination, are a huge money taking scheme.
Let's not forget the televangelists. I've seen them admit that they haven't yet paid for the air time that they are using to beg for the money to pay for the on air time.

Then there are the faith healers....oh let's not even go there;0)

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#171722 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>reported
reported

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171723 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.france24.com/en/20130709-unique-eg ...
<quoted text>
You missed the "possible" in your haste to snipe. Most of the article emphasized it was a big surprise.
You have some anger issues that get in the way of rational discourse.
That's why I said "maybe". In your haste to defend your poor example, you didn't bother to fully read my post....or "maybe" your incompetence is showing.

Whatev's dude;0)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#171724 Jul 10, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
putz
hahaaa

I see you have become accustomed to The Dave Nelson.

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

#171725 Jul 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly why.
The clueless and nuts express themselves the best they know how.
I'm glad you are a happy person.
now your just shifting your burden of proof on to the rational and sesible thinking people on here again you have no proof what so ever that god exsist

prove your god exsist right now.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#171726 Jul 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We turned tap water into Chateau Margaux.
Is the Church of the Holy Catcher with it?
Or what?
Are there moist towelettes there?

Do you still need a bouncer?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171727 Jul 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
reported
keep posting like the T-Town Clown

Location hidden

#171728 Jul 10, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
The immorality, cruelty, debauchery, genocide, and slavery described in the bible were things you unbelievers and evil doers did.
Your imagination is not valid in a court of law

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 15 min Patrick 758
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 35 min TheHeadlines 89
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min TheHeadlines 22,214
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 52 min TheHeadlines 75
Stump a theist with 2 questions 56 min TheHeadlines 58
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 1 hr TheHeadlines 4,093
Bill Maher's "dirty secret": He's deeply religi... 6 hr Thinking 5
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE