Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171514 Jul 9, 2013
Anther thing your head injury is making you forget is that the time of Jesus was one of the best documented periods in ancient history.

At the time Jesus was said to walk Jerusalem we have several historians documenting people and events.

Not one mentioned Jesus... Not one thought this man with his huge crowds of followers, whipping money changers at the temple, crucifixion, raising the dead for all to see and returning from the dead and walking into town with hundreds of resurrected famous Jews was worth mentioning.... Or is it more likely was it that it never happened?

Still waiting for your historical proof he existed... Any year now Dave.

Lol! And the lie about a prisoner being released for Passover! Hahahaha!! As if! Pure fiction.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>And you are full of shit.

Prove he existed by the measure you require for Jesus.

Louisville, KY

#171515 Jul 9, 2013
Again he was a secular philosopher not a religious figure and he did not start a religion based on Socrates. He believed in a god, yawn, so what?

You are humiliating yourself Dave.... Again.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>"Plato has a concept of a God which shares many traits with the Christian idea of God. Socrates' God is a single God who is the source of creation (Burtt 49). He also depicts God as being inherently good. He depicts a God that motivates with goodness rather than punishment (Burtt 49)."

http://voices.yahoo.com/religious-views-socra...

You think?

Nah, you haven't exhibited that talent.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171516 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Plato was a religious figure?
His writings were religious?
The rest of your prattling I clearly explained in detail. Read my post again a few dozen times and it should sink in past your head injury.
You're welcome.
<quoted text>
"Xenophon and Plato agree that Socrates had an opportunity to escape, as his followers were able to bribe the prison guards. He chose to stay for several reasons:

He believed such a flight would indicate a fear of death, which he believed no true philosopher has.
If he fled Athens his teaching would fare no better in another country, as he would continue questioning all he met and undoubtedly incur their displeasure.
Having knowingly agreed to live under the city's laws, he implicitly subjected himself to the possibility of being accused of crimes by its citizens and judged guilty by its jury. To do otherwise would have caused him to break his "social contract" with the state, and so harm the state, an unprincipled act."

"Shortly before his death, Socrates speaks his last words to Crito: "Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt."

Asclepius was the Greek god for curing illness, and it is likely Socrates' last words meant that death is the cureóand freedom, of the soul from the body. Additionally, in Why Socrates Died: Dispelling the Myths, Robin Waterfield adds another interpretation of Socrates' last words. He suggests that Socrates was a voluntary scapegoat; his death was the purifying remedy for Athensí misfortunes. In this view, the token of appreciation for Asclepius would represent a cure for Athens' ailments.[15]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates#Trial_a...

Think real hard.

Nah, better find someone to do it for you. You ARE a Topix atheist, after all.

Louisville, KY

#171517 Jul 9, 2013
A book review? Heavily on the opinion side?

Spooky peeps Dave?

Thanks for the laughs anyways.
Dave Nelson wrote:

Louisville, KY

#171518 Jul 9, 2013
You have pegged the Dave method of failing almost perfectly.

Just add in his long rambling off topic posts ala Grandpa Simpson and you will have it 100%

He just comes here for our amusement anyways. Good for a laugh, like he is a so called deist in his own words, yet see Christian apologetic arguments and strongly defends Jesus and Paul.... Just like a deist right? Lol :))
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>One last time, it's already been explained succinctly and thoroughly.
And no one here worships Socrates.

I said Pilate was the only person that I knew of.

You have officially been demoted to T Town's level.

Now, give verifiable proof of JC and quit trying to obfuscate, or are you incapable of actual debate and exchange? No, I truly don't think so, but you can prove me wrong if you really want to.

Now try some rational response or just keep bickering incessantly about trivial issues that you have, so far, been using as a sidetrack tactic.

Westcliffe, CO

#171519 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Anther thing your head injury is making you forget is that the time of Jesus was one of the best documented periods in ancient history.
At the time Jesus was said to walk Jerusalem we have several historians documenting people and events.
Not one mentioned Jesus... Not one thought this man with his huge crowds of followers, whipping money changers at the temple, crucifixion, raising the dead for all to see and returning from the dead and walking into town with hundreds of resurrected famous Jews was worth mentioning.... Or is it more likely was it that it never happened?
Still waiting for your historical proof he existed... Any year now Dave.
Lol! And the lie about a prisoner being released for Passover! Hahahaha!! As if! Pure fiction.
<quoted text>
I'm waiting for your Socrates proof of existence.

Socrates was at the center of his civilization, and an alleged pain in the ass to the powers that were. Should be some official documentation.

Judea was a jerkwater nowhere in the Roman Empire with a bunch of unsophisticated, superstitious, and pain in the ass yokels. Not even a footnote. You will find similar lack of records from many such places in the empire.

Socrates was advanced through the Roman Empire by writings they read about him. JC was advanced by those writing about him showing up on their doorstep, then the Romans advanced him through the Roman Empire.

Westcliffe, CO

#171520 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
A book review? Heavily on the opinion side?
Spooky peeps Dave?
Thanks for the laughs anyways.
<quoted text>
You can only have opinions about mythical figures, Butch. There is nothing to have facts about.

Thinking is not your forte, as is your wit. Try something you know. Get the Johnson out of the drawer and show wifey what a man you are again.

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#171521 Jul 9, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the accounts of the Bible did not occur, then why didn't a group of atheists ever "free think" to write an anti-Bible? I think we all know they are liars.
No, they just didn't want to be murdered.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#171522 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You have pegged the Dave method of failing almost perfectly.
Just add in his long rambling off topic posts ala Grandpa Simpson and you will have it 100%
He just comes here for our amusement anyways. Good for a laugh, like he is a so called deist in his own words, yet see Christian apologetic arguments and strongly defends Jesus and Paul.... Just like a deist right? Lol :))
<quoted text>
How true, how true! Thanks for adding that final and essential touch.

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#171523 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...this has got to be one of your best ones yet! Why would anyone have a need to write an anti-bible? lol
Death wish?

Westcliffe, CO

#171524 Jul 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
How true, how true! Thanks for adding that final and essential touch.
:-)

You two are amusing. So innocent.

Existence is so simple for you.

Be careful about moving into the deeper portions of the pool of knowledge and thought of mankind. You will drown if you aren't careful.

Louisville, KY

#171525 Jul 9, 2013
Jerusalem was just a nothing happening little town eh? Wow you are going for broke on the senile meter tonight eh?

Psssst you do realize that Socrates and the Jesus myth happened at two different time periods don't you Dave? It's like comparing media coverage of President Washington and Obama.

First century Jerusalem had a wealth of scholars and historians documenting events an people no matter how much you want to stamp your feet.

Now do you have secular, historical proof that Jesus existed or not? Since he was on everyone's doorstep it seems someone would have wrote about him right?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I'm waiting for your Socrates proof of existence.

Socrates was at the center of his civilization, and an alleged pain in the ass to the powers that were. Should be some official documentation.

Judea was a jerkwater nowhere in the Roman Empire with a bunch of unsophisticated, superstitious, and pain in the ass yokels. Not even a footnote. You will find similar lack of records from many such places in the empire.

Socrates was advanced through the Roman Empire by writings they read about him. JC was advanced by those writing about him showing up on their doorstep, then the Romans advanced him through the Roman Empire.

Louisville, KY

#171526 Jul 9, 2013
You can only have opinions about mythical figures? So people can't have opinions on actual people? Nobody has an opinion on Obama or GWB?

Wow Dave you are just getting dumber by the post. I suggest you lay down before you hurt yourself old timer.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You can only have opinions about mythical figures, Butch. There is nothing to have facts about.

Thinking is not your forte, as is your wit. Try something you know. Get the Johnson out of the drawer and show wifey what a man you are again.

Louisville, KY

#171527 Jul 9, 2013
Look up grandpa Simpson onion belt on YouTube and behold it's a cartoon version of Dave!
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>How true, how true! Thanks for adding that final and essential touch.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#171528 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
in spiritual darkness,
under the power of Satan,
separated from Christ,
without hope,
without God in this world,
foolish,
disobedient,
deceived,
you're all these things IMO
Why are you talking about yourself?

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171529 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
In other words you made it up.
<quoted text>
No need to make it up. But the majority of sources on the internet are pro-Christian sources, BECAUSE of the evidence. The atheist always wants to claim that such websites are biased and dismiss the argument on that level which is nothing more than lazy. If you want to find out, google it. I'm not going to waste my time listing we bsites that you're going to dismissed because of "bias" anyway. When I write, it's to be read, to let the narrative sink in a little if the reader is open minded enough. If not, it's your choice. If I quote somebody else, I'll list it. If it's not a direct quote, I'll tell you to google it for yourself. So stop whining and google it.
You'll find arguments for or against just about anything.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#171530 Jul 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> LOL this stuff is a conspiracy made out of a conspiracy.
Kind of like 911 research or someshit. Jebus research team no. 6 .
Tell me, what would you call it when a group of people of a particular religious sect organise intimidation, threats, violence, anarchy and terrorism against the lawful government of a county?

This stuff exists hence the book citations. It certainly has more substance than the babble in that it can be verified in the documents of the contemporary archives I mentioned. Unlike the NT that canít.

I was involved in checking some of the data used in those books, particularly the life of Pantrera and the plot by Titus and Josephus against the Forth Philosophy.

The involvement of Pantera is mentioned (more than once) in the Tanakh, the cannon of the Hebrew bible, from which the OT was selectively copied and edited to suit the christian religion. So are you saying that the Tanakh is a conspiracy?

However everyone has an opinion.

#171531 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I have heard of the Jesus son of Pantera account that has a wealth of historical proof unlike this so called Jesus of the bible which has none whatsoever.
<quoted text>
This is true, documented proof exists in not only the roman archives but the Tanakh.

#171532 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean that? cause I can get kinky dinky baby...
Yes we all know that a sparrow farting in a car park turns you on, me I have more refunded taste

BTW, do you realise that a rubber doll with never replace your sister for warmth and comfort in your bed

#171533 Jul 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
DK Clunt only got sex when his girlfriend died.
<quoted text>
I heard he has been given a second hand rubber doll with a slow puncture

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why? 3 min Uncle Sam 89
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min One way or another 14,834
Atheist screed isn't properly labeled religion 1 hr Thinking 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr NoahLovesU 2,858
Really, God? 2 hr Thinking 2
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 9 hr thetruth 302
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 12 hr Lumajuice 23,499
More from around the web