Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171416 Jul 9, 2013
Yes another mystery cult revolving around a messianic son of god formed.

And?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Which means something happened back then with different perspectives on it and spread and then an official version was created distributed through the Roman church, and which was then later divided up again amongst sects.

Something happened back then.

Duh.

So much for the grand conspiracy Topix atheists love to claim. If this conspiracy originated in one place, which, BTW, is how they usually start, then you wouldn't have had that diversity before and after.

Louisville, KY

#171417 Jul 9, 2013
Cult freaks, no different than all of the other mystery religions revolving around a messianic son of god at that time.

Anything else I can educate you on?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Who and where did the myth originate? Who started the whole thing?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171418 Jul 9, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>"Strawberry" Pinson, a good Christian man, right before he died:

"I'ma sayin air's at least 3 coons upinat tree, somebody me uh shotgun!"

Then he took a big breath and died.
LOL

Location hidden

#171419 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Holy crap...do you really think if they gave a detailed explanation of where time came from that you would even accept it??? This who thread is not about where time came from. Atheism is not a religion...it's a lack thereof. It does not take faith to not have a belief in something.
Where did Time come from?
This is not a religious question.
This is not a lack of faith question.
This is a science question pertaining to your 3 myths.

Your 3 BIG Myths:

1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.

2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.

3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.

And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.

"SNAP"

Location hidden

#171420 Jul 9, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Explain where god came from? Unlike god we know when time started.
Yes you believe you know when time started. But where did it come from?

Location hidden

#171421 Jul 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>The past.
Nope the past is part of time.

Louisville, KY

#171422 Jul 9, 2013
Are there religions formed around him that dictate people's lives? But even if Socrates didn't exist and was just made up it would be meaningless because even if Plato, let's just say for argument's sake just made him up for whatever reason, the important thing is we have the Socratic method of reasoning. Nobody is saying believing in Socrates gives you immortal life in heaven or hell. Nobody is claiming Socrates died for our sins and if you don't believe you should be abused or even put to death.

Now we have Plato's writings of Socrates which are secular, not religious.... Never heard of Plato? Aristophanes wrote and produced a play mocking him.

Oh another thing, Plato wrote about him while he was alive, he didn't wait until decades later or worse other people wrote about him claiming to be Plato.

Glad to educate you again senile Dave. Your ignorance is astounding.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.biography.com/people/socrates-9488...

Find me the secular proof of that guy.

Did he exist?

Louisville, KY

#171423 Jul 9, 2013
Now that I have as usual factually humiliated you, perhaps you can show this secular proof for Jesus?

Any roman guard document all those risen from the dead Jews marching through the city?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.biography.com/people/socrates-9488...

Find me the secular proof of that guy.

Did he exist?

Location hidden

#171424 Jul 9, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>Creationists ALWAYS, ask - What was before the Big Bang? Einstein already proved that energy or matter cannot be created nor destroyed. So, clearly, whatever is here, has always been here (or there). My personal belief is that we devolved from some black hole EXPLOSION/IMPLOSION. In the entire universe (including the unkn own, where we came from, "for starters", I would estimate there are UPWARDS of 1 Googol Black holes. Comments?
So you don't believe science when it claims that the universe started 13.7 billion years ago?

Location hidden

#171425 Jul 9, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>OK, how do I contact your god? Presently, I am at a total loss. I am afraid that when I die I will descend to HELL. What are my specific steps to avoid such a damning doom. I have been good for most of my life. I was in Vietnam where I did some very, very, bad things. Aside from that, what do you suggest that I do in order to right things? I know of convicted murderers who are now Jesuit priests. What do you suggest for me, personally?
Just keep doing what your doing. You'll be just fine.

Location hidden

#171426 Jul 9, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Explain where god came from.
I will as soon as you explain where time came from.

Location hidden

#171427 Jul 9, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>What "sin" did Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal man commit?

Who prepared an ark for the dinosaurs?

These existed!
we have proof of dinosaurs, Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal... where's yours? Do you have a skeleton handy?
Sorry you are incorrect as usual.
Miscarriages.
Cot death.
Childhood leukaemia.
All the results of mans freedom of choice. Not God. God gave us a perfect world and perfect body's and there was no sickness or death until man sinned.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#171428 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't believe science when it claims that the universe started 13.7 billion years ago?
The current expansion phase started 13.7 billion years ago. Whether the universe (in the sense of all that exists) began 13.7 billion years ago is still not determined. Generally, those scientists who discuss existence before the BB talk about multiverses.

However, even those that assert that the universe (in the sense of all that exists) started 13.7 billion years ago also say that time started at the same point. So, there was not a 'before the BB' in that case. and the universe is uncaused.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#171429 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did Time come from?
This is not a religious question.
This is not a lack of faith question.
This is a science question pertaining to your 3 myths.
Your 3 BIG Myths:
1) the Big Bang when nothing exploded
and created everything.
2) rain falling on rocks and settling in a mud puddle and spontaneous self generating life sprang forth.
3) plants evolving into plant eating animals.
And when I snap my fingers you will wake up and believe these 3 myths as if they were fact.
"SNAP"
Why do you keep lying? Nobody believes those three myths in the form you stated them. In particular, the third is flat-out wrong no matter how it is interpreted. I have pointed this out to you before and you keep posting this same thing, so you are now being dishonest.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#171430 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
I will as soon as you explain where time came from.
It didn't 'come from' anywhere. It is uncaused.

Location hidden

#171431 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>The current expansion phase started 13.7 billion years ago. Whether the universe (in the sense of all that exists) began 13.7 billion years ago is still not determined. Generally, those scientists who discuss existence before the BB talk about multiverses.

However, even those that assert that the universe (in the sense of all that exists) started 13.7 billion years ago also say that time started at the same point. So, there was not a 'before the BB' in that case. and the universe is uncaused.
Time can be measured we use today tomorrow and yesterday when talking about time. Therefore it's a measuring stick also. A year, a day, a minute. There is a before and an after. No law says you cannot use a scientific measuring stick on time itself. Therefore what was there BEFORE time?

Where did time come from?

What was there when there was no Time?

Dance Poly, Dance.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#171432 Jul 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Who and where did the myth originate? Who started the whole thing?
The transition from human sacrifice to a more evolved sense of humanity.

Location hidden

#171433 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you keep lying? Nobody believes those three myths in the form you stated them. In particular, the third is flat-out wrong no matter how it is interpreted. I have pointed this out to you before and you keep posting this same thing, so you are now being dishonest.
You do...... You just don't like them explained in there simplest form.
You hide behind long drawn out babble.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#171434 Jul 9, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope the past is part of time.
Yes indeed , but now I can tell you where it is going, To the future!

Location hidden

#171435 Jul 9, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>It didn't 'come from' anywhere. It is uncaused.
Is there time?

Was there always time?
If time was always, then so matter and energy could have always existed and of course that would mean science is wrong on the date of the universe. So is science wrong? or did time come from nothing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man center of the universe. 31 min Uncle Sam 160
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Mikko 23,046
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr _Bad Company 1,110
Heaven 10 hr Reason Personified 44
Evidence for God! 11 hr Uncle Sam 51
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... Thu Hooogle It 77
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,391

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE