Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247497 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171477 Jul 9, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it was documented , you lying bigot.
No actually...it was not.

Location hidden

#171478 Jul 9, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the accounts of the Bible did not occur, then why didn't a group of atheists ever "free think" to write an anti-Bible? I think we all know they are liars.
Lol...this has got to be one of your best ones yet! Why would anyone have a need to write an anti-bible? lol

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171479 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Day and night occur because of our orbit around the sun, and I have no idea if "god" had a hand in it, but so far science has given me more answers than "god" ever did.
GOD made them all

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171480 Jul 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Satan is part of YOUR belief...not mine.
thats what you think! I think satan owns your soul

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#171481 Jul 9, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the accounts of the Bible did not occur, then why didn't a group of atheists ever "free think" to write an anti-Bible? I think we all know they are liars.
Because it isn't concerned with your religious dogma.
Feel free to write your anti-science book.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171482 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a right to your opinion, but you are incorrect in all of these except for separated from Christ, without "god" in this world.
He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters" (Matt. 12:30).
"There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day" (Jn. 12:48).
being an atheist is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun... real dumb

Location hidden

#171483 Jul 9, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>thats what you think! I think satan owns your soul
I thought that you believed that "god" held everyone's soul....???? Isn't he the one that's supposed to own everyone's soul?

Location hidden

#171485 Jul 9, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters" (Matt. 12:30).
"There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day" (Jn. 12:48).
being an atheist is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun... real dumb
The only thing that this verse says to me is that you worship a "god" who is so egotistical he thinks he should be able to scare me into loving him. I will never believe in the biblical "god", and that is only one of the reasons why.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#171486 Jul 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No Dave the fact is until 325 the belief was so variable from sect to sect to consolidate a fixed doctrine and standard set of scriptures was absolutely necessary. Otherwise one side of the empire is arguing about whether the nails were driven in the neck or not vs one right between the eyes, stupid crap.
Just like exists between different flavors of cryptostupidity now.
Love your posts.

BTW, did they ever settle that "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" thingy? If they did.....uhhhh.....how many;0)?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171487 Jul 9, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to get some sleep Davy!
You've been giving the devil two black eyes for too long!
Hmm... something about Socrates?
OK
"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE
In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in the highest esteem.
One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about your friend?"
"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."
"Triple filter?"
"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say.
The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is absolutely true?
"No," the man said, "I actually just heard about it and..."
"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"
"No, on the contrary..."
"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"
"No, not really."
"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"
This is why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.
It also explains why he never found out his best friend was banging his wife.!
Socrates never existed. There is no proof he did.

You are worshiping the words of a myth.

That philosophy is common enough among men of centuries and before that never even heard of him. Plato probably plagiarized one of them using mythical Socrates as a tool.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171488 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that you believed that "god" held everyone's soul....???? Isn't he the one that's supposed to own everyone's soul?
until you are saved! satan owns your soul

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171489 Jul 9, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
They became believers because of what they witnessed, and because they wanted to preserve it, they wrote it down. First century Israeli culture was an orally dominated culture. Historical event was memorized and passed on within specific communities and groups. Look it up. Not only that, they were what is known as a "high context culture." Many things were left unsaid (or unwritten) because the assumption of the culture was that if you were a part of that culture, you knew what everybody else in that culture knew. It didn't have to be defined or discussed in detail.
If you're trying to imply that their bias fed into their beliefs, then you would be partially correct, but not in the way that you as a skeptic might think. The bias of the early Christians (the apostles specifically) existed because of what they witnessed with their own eyes, and grew in proportion to their faith. Your implication that believers words don't count because they're believers also fails in another way.
This history mattered to them because they saw it as sacred and holy. It wasn't a matter of discussing why their camel or donkey was getting old. This was a big deal to them, so of course they had bias. Would you expect a passionate sound engineer to write a 50 page doctoral thesis on the subject of Victorian era plumbing and sanitation? You have bias, I have bias, everybody has bias. Your unstated (yet implied) charge isn't a logical argument.
The only person in the bible who has secular proof of existence (that I know of) is Pontius Pilate. His name is recorded in Roman records as a government official.

The Romans did not have a religious drum to beat. The records do not say anything else about him, whether he pronounced judgement on a man named Jesus or even whether or not he had a wife who might or might not have a had a dream.

Again, do you have any independent, secular proof? We've all heard fish stories.....and the one that got away keeps growing. That's pretty much an example of oral history.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171490 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing that this verse says to me is that you worship a "god" who is so egotistical he thinks he should be able to scare me into loving him. I will never believe in the biblical "god", and that is only one of the reasons why.
I don't think its for you. I worship a loving GOD! JESUS CHRIST who died for me.. and rose from the grave... by faith Im saved...

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171491 Jul 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You dodged the Socrates question.
No, he answered it quite well.....and it went right over your head.

As per usual;0)

Location hidden

#171492 Jul 9, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>until you are saved! satan owns your soul
nuh uh...the bible says we're all "god's" children!!!! lol

Seriously though....Satan doesn't exist either so I'm good :D

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171493 Jul 9, 2013
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32-33)

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#171494 Jul 9, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think its for you. I worship a loving GOD! JESUS CHRIST who died for me.. and rose from the grave... by faith Im saved...
God required a human sacrifice to be happy and you call that "love" ?

I am so glad you folks hate me.

Location hidden

#171495 Jul 9, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think its for you. I worship a loving GOD! JESUS CHRIST who died for me.. and rose from the grave... by faith Im saved...
The biblical faith is definitely not for me no...I'm glad you think you know where your goin ;)

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171496 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
nuh uh...the bible says we're all "god's" children!!!! lol
Seriously though....Satan doesn't exist either so I'm good :D
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.(John 3:16-18)

Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.(Mark 16:14-16)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#171497 Jul 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!
That was your answering in detail?
You have more accounts of a Jesus being alive than Socrates.
Bwahahahaha
Prove he was alive and not a figment of Plato's imagination. Give us some secular records or something.
Interesting how he was killed for his beliefs, eh?
JC gave you a way of thinking, too.
You are such an immature thinker.
You are tedious and deliberately obtuse. But hey, you're one step ahead of the T Town Clown, so I suppose you have something to be proud of...sort of;0)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min Thinking 12,788
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr thetruth 24
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr thetruth 47,823
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr thetruth 12
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... 12 hr QUITTNER Sep 1 2015 12
Proof of God for the Atheist 16 hr Thinking 128
Hitler was Catholic 19 hr Pagatheist 2
More from around the web